Bills' Blackout Threats Are a Joke

patfitz

NFL “will strongly oppose” elimination of blackout rule

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told Politico.com. “We are on pace for a historic low number of blackouts since the policy was implemented 40 years ago. While affecting very few games the past decade, the blackout rule is very important in supporting NFL stadiums and the ability of NFL clubs to sell tickets and keeping our games attractive as television programming with large crowds.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/19/nfl-will-strongly-oppose-elimination-of-blackout-rule/

i think the elimination of the blackout rule would be particularly bad for Buffalo. especially with a change of ownership coming.

the #1 way to keep a franchise is with good attendance.

eliminating the blackout rule would HURT attendance. there would be even more folks who wouldn't buy tix or attend games if they knew for certain they would be televised without a sellout.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Albany, Binghamton maybe. It would be cheaper to go to the stadium and find a scalper when you compare paying for gas to get far enough away to see the game in a bar.

i think binghampton based stations will (or atleast can) carry it, and that will stretch west into the finger lakes area.

eliminating the blackout rule would HURT attendance. there would be even more folks who wouldn't buy tix or attend games if they knew for certain they would be televised without a sellout.

I would like to see an actual, unbiased, scientific study on this.

Personally, the television status has no bearing on me going or not going. Especially these late season throw-away games

I wonder how many people a blackout (or threatening blackout) moves from the couch to the ticket booth. Especially with all the online feeds, redzone channel, interest in other games due to fantasy/pools/gambling, etc...

There has to be a tangible reason the NFL wants to protect this. Maybe they just want to keep the option on the table in their court.

Edited by May Day 10

I wonder how many people a blackout (or threatening blackout) moves from the couch to the ticket booth. Especially with all the online feeds, redzone channel, interest in other games due to fantasy/pools/gambling, etc...

I have to believe that even if blackouts motivated people to want to get tickets, they are smart enough these days to go to stubhub or some other reseller outlet where the prices for "throw away" games are in most cases significantly lower. Thus not affecting the teams bottom line except for incidentals like parking, food and beverage etc.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Brandon said on 550 earlier in the week, that during the 90s, December games sold out 63% of the time. During the 2000s, they sold out 67% of the time.

so when the team was good, December games still were not selling out. In fact, the big comeback game against Houston (playoffs no less) was not even close to a sellout.

so while people can blame the team being lousy, history indicates this is not true. its really the weather.

Remember, the previous week, Houston KILLED Buffalo in Houston.

Add to that that bars could show the game through satellite or network "air" broadcast from Syracuse then.

Edited by rockpile

I'm a football fan. The Bills are my favorite team, but I will watch whatever game is on. This week it looks like I will root for the Browns to beat the Jets. That should be entertaining. Blackouts are stupid and will never cause me to change my plans for the day in order to go to a game.

I'm a football fan. The Bills are my favorite team, but I will watch whatever game is on. This week it looks like I will root for the Browns to beat the Jets. That should be entertaining. Blackouts are stupid and will never cause me to change my plans for the day in order to go to a game.

Do you ever go to the game?

I have been a season ticket holder for many years. So blackouts don't affect me anymore.

However, back when I was in my early and mid twenties they definitely impacted whether or not I went to the game. When the game was going to be blacked out, we would round up a group of guys and go to the game.

Without a doubt, for some demographics, it affects attendance.

And one reason why the NFL won't give up the blackouts and shouldn't give up the blackouts is because that ticket money helps finance those big stadiums. I don't think the blackout should reach as far as it does though. I don't think it is fair to block out anyone who lives the other side of Rochester. Expecting them to drive more than one hour for to go to a game is too much to ask in my opinion. Out of town fans should always get to see the game.

I have been a season ticket holder for many years. So blackouts don't affect me anymore.

However, back when I was in my early and mid twenties they definitely impacted whether or not I went to the game. When the game was going to be blacked out, we would round up a group of guys and go to the game.

Without a doubt, for some demographics, it affects attendance.

And one reason why the NFL won't give up the blackouts and shouldn't give up the blackouts is because that ticket money helps finance those big stadiums. I don't think the blackout should reach as far as it does though. I don't think it is fair to block out anyone who lives the other side of Rochester. Expecting them to drive more than one hour for to go to a game is too much to ask in my opinion. Out of town fans should always get to see the game.

I totally agree with this. I live about 4 hrs from Buffalo but because I'm in the Syracuse market the game is blacked out due to some half mile sliver that reaches into the radius of the blackout and I don't get the Binghamton or Elmira feeds anymore on Time Warner. As a treat we try to go to a couple games per season. We usually have to take the next day off as by the time we get out of the lots, have dinner and get on the road it might be midnight or later before we get home weather dependent. If I lived an hour or two from the stadium I would be a season ticket holder and I would go to every game.

I just hope they go to LA and not Toronto

I mean, it's pretty much a done deal they are gone. Russ Brandon hold a thinly veiled disgust for the fan support in WNY as it is. And he is a WNYer! What happens when some slimy fatcat from Toronto buys the team? I'd rather see LA interests swoop in just so Toronto can come up empty in its bid to steal our football team. Screw em.

If there are 15,000 seats left unsold for a division game in December against a traditonal rival that just gives the heartless, scum sucking vultures in Toronto and in the NFL offices more PR cover to rip the team away

Edited by TheFunPolice

well if you're looking to the future certainly the bills losing the Miami give them a better draft picks. However beating the Dolphins and having three AFC East Conference wins is a far cry from what we've had in the last several years. And should miracle of miracles happen and we beat the Patriots in Foxborough the following week we would have more 4 afc East victories.

rarely. twice on group outings. the last time, the guy who drank a bottle of jack daniels before the game and then was totally obnoxious until puked all over left me thinking that this isn't my idea of a good time.

So, it doesn't affect your plans, because you never plan to go anyway.

I totally agree with this. I live about 4 hrs from Buffalo but because I'm in the Syracuse market the game is blacked out due to some half mile sliver that reaches into the radius of the blackout and I don't get the Binghamton or Elmira feeds anymore on Time Warner. As a treat we try to go to a couple games per season. We usually have to take the next day off as by the time we get out of the lots, have dinner and get on the road it might be midnight or later before we get home weather dependent. If I lived an hour or two from the stadium I would be a season ticket holder and I would go to every game.

Too bad you don't live closer - you're the kind of fan we need..............The close fans except for elderly, etc. have no complaints in my book. You do - there is no way the blackout should extend past Rochester at the most.

Back in the 60s, Rochester got the games. And, all the games were blacked out in Buffalo.........I know this because my father, grandmother and great uncle didn't have tickets, so they rented a hotel room in Rochester, drove there, and watched the AFL Championship.

Well this sucks. I'm finally going to be home for a game this season instead of at college and was looking forward to watching a Bills game in the comfort of my own home, instead of having to go out to a sports bar. Now I'm going to have to, anyways...

Sometimes I think that fans' appreciation for Buffalo having NFL football is inversely proportional to their distance from WNY. The idea that a burg like Buffalo still has an NFL team, and that locals seem to take it for granted, never ceases to amaze me.

Move away from WNY and your perspective changes.

There's no reason not to go to Bills games other than finances/work/health if you're really a fan. It's that simple.

Yup, except for the fact that covers a LOT of people if you consider that the economy in the Buffalo area is not exactly stellar and the number of elderly in the area as well.

The NFL is a business and should have the right to conduct it's business however they choose. But when the business accepts taxpayer money, and also is given special exemptions regarding anti-trust etc. then in my opinion they forfeit some of those rights. And how about the elderly who were season ticket holders for many years? The NFL expects loyalty from it's fans, but how about giving some of that loyalty back.

I have also read that now the newer digital signals used do not even reach Rochester from Buffalo. Also the Rochester channels that used to reach whatever small portion of the Syracuse county no longer travel that far since converting to digital.

Say what you will, but this truly is a conspiracy. LOL.

The Ind-KC game is being shown in Rochester at 1pm on Sunday. That should be a good one. Hopefully, Denver still has one loss left and the Chefs can leapfrog them into first place. If not, the Chefs will be stuck as a wild-card and have to play the entire post-season on the road.

I have also read that now the newer digital signals used do not even reach Rochester from Buffalo. Also the Rochester channels that used to reach whatever small portion of the Syracuse county no longer travel that far since converting to digital.

Say what you will, but this truly is a conspiracy. LOL.

I think you have it backwards...the signal from Syracuse may no longer reach Rochester now that it is digital, but Syracuse is still blacked out. Since Utica gets its CBS on the cable from Syracuse, Utica is also blacked out.

That's true! There was a Holiday Inn right at one of the Rochester Thruway Exits. I saw at least one of the AFC Championship games there. There must have been 10 of us in that little room watching on 19" Color TV. Not everybody had color TV then, so it as big deal! I remember the whole place erupting when Stratton hit Keith Lincoln. The hotel parking lot was unbelievable after he game.

What other expenses did you have? Car, house, kids, wife, student loans? Those do add up, and for some that means more than sacrificing livelihood to watch millionaires play a game.

Why have you made 5900 posts on a board about millionaires playing a game?

Thank you. I HATE the "millionaires play a game" blah blah. It's so played out. So is the overpaid argument. You get paid what you generate (except in college sports).

Saw this the other day:

darren rovell@darrenrovell 17 Dec

Since 1990, MLB revenues have increased by 242% (factoring for inflation), but player salaries have only increased 194%

Yup, except for the fact that covers a LOT of people if you consider that the economy in the Buffalo area is not exactly stellar and the number of elderly in the area as well.

The NFL is a business and should have the right to conduct it's business however they choose. But when the business accepts taxpayer money, and also is given special exemptions regarding anti-trust etc. then in my opinion they forfeit some of those rights. And how about the elderly who were season ticket holders for many years? The NFL expects loyalty from it's fans, but how about giving some of that loyalty back.

These types of viewpoints almost guarantee the team will be moving when it is sold. Totally out of touch with the reality of the NFL, a reality you may not like, but reality nonetheless. The team needs to go where it can be grown and developed in the cold light of today's NFL, instead of being some kind of cute little "Bull Durham" minor league franchise with free ice cream at the 7th inning stretch and free tickets for those under 10 and over 70. .

These types of viewpoints almost guarantee the team will be moving when it is sold.

The Buffalo Bills should move!

Orchard Park, NY is not a good place for the Buffalo Bills. Niagara Falls, NY or Batavia, NY are good places for the Buffalo Bills.

Re: Blackout - It looks like Watertown and Binghamton/Elmira are the only two markets in NY where Sunday's Bills-Dolphins game is being broadcast. East of Utica it's the Jets.