A Few Belated and Abbreviated Thoughts About The Game.....

I watched this game in a not so great surrounding in terms of this post. I'm saving up for week 1 as well. In any event, here are the aforementioned "thoughts.".....

1) Searcy has issues. He really isn't that talented. But imo he listens to his coaches and is a smart player. He follows through on every play. I for one hope that he makes this team.

2) When I came to this page I expected to see a lot of criticism about Gilmore. Then I realized that I am one of the only posters who is willing to do so. He completely sucked in every phase of the game. Maybe he will get better, ya know?

3) I liked what I saw from Glenn and even Pears. Glenn in particular looked to be in better shape.

4) Imo, the Redskins are a MUCH better team than the Colts or the Vikes.

5) Gideon come in with his eyes on the floor,

Says: Y'ain't got a hinge; you can't close the door.

Moses stood up a full six foot ten,

Says: You can't close the door when the wall's caved in.

6) Don't worry about Tuel. Did you think that there would be no setbacks?

7) Spiller got hit low before the TD. He should have been taken out at that point. I gotta tell ya that I was unimpressed by Marrone at that point. One thing that Spiller is NOT is a workhorse running back.

8) Kiko is a player. I am sure of this.

9) A disaster like this was bound to happen. It will happen in the real season as well. Let's hope that we can recover from it.

10) Hate to say it but Fred Jackson and Kyle Williams are more than likely both shot.

11) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Orakpo and Kerrigan are two very skilled pass rushers, Pears and Glenn did a fine job against them. Don't know if was Kerrigan that sacked Kolb after being pankacked by Pears, have to watch that play again, though.

Edited by Fixxxer

Orakpo and Kerrigan are two very skilled pass rushers, Pears and Glenn did a fine job against them. Don't know if was Kerrigan that sacked Kolb after being pankacked by Pears, have to watch that play again, though.

It was Brandon Jenkins who got the sack. Kolb basically ran into the sack.

... 10) Hate to say it but Fred Jackson and Kyle Williams are more than likely both shot.

KW didn't look too shot pursuing a play to the far sideline to make a tackle.

GO BILLS!!!

3) I liked what I saw from Glenn and even Pears. Glenn in particular looked to be in better shape.

I thought Glenn looked pretty good, but noticed some issues w Pears play for the first time this PS.

10) Hate to say it but Fred Jackson and Kyle Williams are more than likely both shot.

I get the concern about Fred (though he doesn't look shot to me, just declining). What makes you say that about Kyle? I don't see it at all.

Kyle looked fine to me. He was the only lineman moving laterally.

Fred Jackson, on the other hand, is at the end of the line. It always amazes me how quickly it happens to some players. Gonna miss him.

Also, what makes you think Searcy is smart and coachable? I've seen none of that...

2) When I came to this page I expected to see a lot of criticism about Gilmore. Then I realized that I am one of the only posters who is willing to do so. He completely sucked in every phase of the game. Maybe he will get better, ya know?

Bill - I look forward to your posts mostly because of your observations regarding he O-Line. You seem to notice footwork and other details that I don't understand very well. It makes me feel a little better when you say that guys like Glenn and Pears seem to be doing pretty well. The footwork that I did notice was the cornerbacks. If you think Gilmore played poorly, the other guys playing that position were much much worse.

2- I thought Gilmore was the only guy stopping every pass from being a TD. The guy regularly pulled off of his man to make a play on the receiver.

3- Totally agree. Wood is also a very talented center. Locking him up is a must, the only sticking point will be how much, which depends on injury this season. I suspect he remains a Bill for a reasonable price.

7- I think people don't give Gailey enough credit for getting a lot out of Spiller and Freddie. We will see what Spiller is made of this year. He may not be the same as last year, but it should be fun.

9- Agreed there will be a learning curve with a whole new coaching staff. Am I the only one who thought Marrone looked defeated during his presser. That had me a little worried. Also it seems like the press are just pushing Doug's buttons at this point, asking the same questions over and over again. I wanted to punch who ever was asking the first set of questions about injuries

10- Agreed. When Mario and Dareus are lined up next to each other, they seem to be almost undefendable, especially on that right side. I haven't noticed Kyle at all yet, which I guess isn't the worse thing in the world. Hopefully he rebounds

Because he follows through on plays. The man plays fundamental football. I openly admit that his skill set lacks, but a player like him can win you a game

Bill, You are one of my favorite posters but you have me stumped. I realize that you didn't extol the virtues of Searcy but being kind to him while being hyper critical to our best DB (Gilmore) has me mystified. Your infatuation with the sluggish Pears also has me perplexed.

With respect to your observation that the Skins are better than the Colts and Vikes it is interesting to note that Shanahan started his rebuild at the same time that Nix started his rebuild with Buffalo. It all comes down to evaluating talent, both college and pro players. In the comparison of the two franchises they showed how to remake an old and expensive roster into a younger and better valued roster. Not only did he overhaul the roster but he made a bold move to procure his franchise qb last year.

It's too early to make a judgment on Marrone. I was impressed with the way he conducted himself at the podium after the game. However, putting Spiller back in the game after he was on the ground was asinine. That made no sense. I'm also very troubled by the quick pace offense. Until the offense is better staffed the race horse pace is frought with danger. It places too much stress on a defense that has major vulnerabilities. Sometimes being innovative is not being very smart.

This year isn't about the record so much as it is about developing players, especially the qb. There is no option other than being patient unless one prefers to be in a constant state of peevishment..

Toughest parts of the game to take was Gilmore getting torched on back to back plays by a third string QB. Also Goodwin not pulling on that perfect bomb. You could not throw that much better than leading Goodwin a few feet. He needed to catch that for him to be what he needs to be.

I watched this game in a not so great surrounding in terms of this post. I'm saving up for week 1 as well. In any event, here are the aforementioned "thoughts.".....

1) Searcy has issues. He really isn't that talented. But imo he listens to his coaches and is a smart player. He follows through on every play. I for one hope that he makes this team.

7) Spiller got hit low before the TD. He should have been taken out at that point. I gotta tell ya that I was unimpressed by Marrone at that point. One thing that Spiller is NOT is a workhorse running back.

9) A disaster like this was bound to happen. It will happen in the real season as well. Let's hope that we can recover from it.

Fred has lost some power and speed, but what stands out most to me is his lost balance. He used to be able to transfer his weight and give defenders a jelly leg to tackle and then be able to either continue running or at least fall forward and finish the run. He is getting stopped cold. He couldn't hold onto the football last year but at least he still had some of the running ability.

1) not sure how he's kept his spot on the depth chart.

2) Gilmore is possibly the best player on the D. Sorry, you are just wrong on this.

3) o line looked to hold their own. Teul made them look worse.

4) bigger better stronger. Shocked if they don't own NFC east

5) sound deep but kinda shallow

6) he's a project. Just not the second coming of Brady or rom just yet. Sorry folks!

7) spiller is the most valuable asset us fans are aware of at the moment. The preseason carries for a stud running back are silly

8) he's good. Bills nation needs him to be great. We will see

9) it means about as much as the first two games. Lucky not to play them when it counts this year.

10) Kyle was the best d lineman in the game. Watch again. Freddy might fall into a Kevin Faulk role now.

11) yes! Bring on those patties.

2- I thought Gilmore was the only guy stopping every pass from being a TD. The guy regularly pulled off of his man to make a play on the receiver.

3- Totally agree. Wood is also a very talented center. Locking him up is a must, the only sticking point will be how much, which depends on injury this season. I suspect he remains a Bill for a reasonable price.

7- I think people don't give Gailey enough credit for getting a lot out of Spiller and Freddie. We will see what Spiller is made of this year. He may not be the same as last year, but it should be fun.

9- Agreed there will be a learning curve with a whole new coaching staff. Am I the only one who thought Marrone looked defeated during his presser. That had me a little worried. Also it seems like the press are just pushing Doug's buttons at this point, asking the same questions over and over again. I wanted to punch who ever was asking the first set of questions about injuries

10- Agreed. When Mario and Dareus are lined up next to each other, they seem to be almost undefendable, especially on that right side. I haven't noticed Kyle at all yet, which I guess isn't the worse thing in the world. Hopefully he rebounds

7) I think Gailey was the best "football coach" the Bills have had in a high ranking position since Chuck Knox. Unfortunately, he wasn't a good HEAD COACH......but in all honesty it's not like he hadn't thoroughly proven that at Georgia Tech. I think coaching offensive football is much more complicated than coaching defense and that's why you can get perhaps not the sharpest tools in the shed like Wannstedt, Gregg Williams and Wade Phillips coaching defensive football at a very high level. If they could have lured Cowher 4 years ago and he had hired Chan to be his OC they would have turned this around by now.