Leslie Frazier upset at Bills coaches

Was he upset because Doug didn't do what he was supposed to, or upset because the bills didn't do what they were supposed?

Meaning that it is okay for other teams around the league to do this, just not the Buffalo Bills. This annoys me because I have seen this before with other things that go on in the league. Also, when we got pounded last preseason and previous preseasons I don't remember anyone In the bills organization making this complaint.

I know, I know, it Is a stretch. Isn't it just bothersome sometimes when you get this sense that someone around the league is subtlety hinting at, "how dare the Bills do that?!"

I'm glad we didn't get this whining loser as our head coach. He has ridden the best RB in the league to some good luck.

The sun is setting on guys like this who run a smoke and mirrors defense.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to bring a bit of realism to this thread, in case it hasn't been said...those very same thoughts were expressed around here as we watched pitiful performances during preseason the past couple years. FWIW...my opinion is play the friggin game and leave the excuses to the losers (us in prior years).

Just to bring a bit of realism to this thread, in case it hasn't been said...those very same thoughts were expressed around here as we watched pitiful performances during preseason the past couple years. FWIW...my opinion is play the friggin game and leave the excuses to the losers (us in prior years).

True beerball, but it's okay for us to be losers... Just not the coaches! :P

This is true. It seemed like Chan and Dick were still installing systems all through camp and that there was never any progress. I like that that the team is winning in the process while still making correctable mistakes.

Well, based on how I've seen Marrone talk to the media, I'm sure if Leslie Frazier had picked up the phone and called Marrone and said "How do you want to do this game?", Marrone might have simply said we're playing it like a game. There. 15 seconds and you know what you have. Now go prepare.

Being unprepared in a pro league like the NFL is unacceptable.

Beat me to it. The exactly same thing was said on the opposite sideline one year ago when vikings ran a track meet against the Bills.

These comments coming from a guy who scored a touchdown with over 4 minutes remaining to make the score 20-16 Bills and instead of going for an extra point to make the game a 3 point difference, decides to go for 2.

I understand you don't want to go to overtime in preseason but come on. He clearly was trying to win. The Bills were trying to win also and we did. Wound licking dudes man.

I'm liking this winning feeling preseason or not. What better way to prepare our rookies how to win than in preaseason? Bills win. End of story... (drops mic on the floor and leaves)

It was to avoid OT and to give the guys a shot for the attempt at another situation to convert. Atleast knock him for real reasons if your going to knock him

There is a bias against College HCs coming into the league.

The Old Boys take umbrage at the young turks that show up all full of piss and vinegar. There are unwritten rules or gentlemen's agreements within the ranks of the established coaches and when one of the new kids on the block come in and do something untoward, they sometimes take umbrage at the infraction. Witness Tom Coughlin's blow-up at Schiano when Eli took a knee at the end of a game and Greg had his D charging for a fumble.

Lots of coaches keep everything plain vanilla for the entire preseason. I think this is why they haven't let EJ throw the long ball. He doesn't want there to be film on it before the season starts. I was surprised they let Tuel open up last week.

Frazier's got a right to say whatever he wants to. He evidently things going for 2 near the end of the game is plain vanilla. He was trying to win the game, so again I say !@#$ 'em all. There's a new kid in town, and it feels GREAT!

Passblocking is passbloblocking whether the other team's defense blitzes or not. If your scheme is to generate pressure with blitzes and you have all new coaches/personnel how else do you evaluate them???

It should have come as no surprise, Pettine has repeatedly said whether in.a practice, scrimmage, or any type of game setting it didn't matter...we are coming after the QB with pressure any time they are out there...

On the flip side, what could be better for the Bills offense? After playing against our D in practice most other teams are going to be simple to play against

Sounds like sour grapes from a coach who knows he is out if he does not make the playoffs.

Also he just watched his QB and line look pretty bad, and thus hurting his chances for above.

Yes, Peterson did not play, so we need to all remember that. But honesty to think Peterson will go for 2500 yds again this year is not realistic. History proves it. Peterson is a speciman we have not seen, but i still think he comes up short of 2000yds this year.

Which means out goes Frazier because Ponder is not taking them to the playoffs.

Pressure i son Frazier and it appears he is cracking some.

There is a bias against College HCs coming into the league.

The Old Boys take umbrage at the young turks that show up all full of piss and vinegar. There are unwritten rules or gentlemen's agreements within the ranks of the established coaches and when one of the new kids on the block come in and do something untoward, they sometimes take umbrage at the infraction. Witness Tom Coughlin's blow-up at Schiano when Eli took a knee at the end of a game and Greg had his D charging for a fumble.

Lots of coaches keep everything plain vanilla for the entire preseason. I think this is why they haven't let EJ throw the long ball. He doesn't want there to be film on it before the season starts. I was surprised they let Tuel open up last week.

Frazier's got a right to say whatever he wants to. He evidently things going for 2 near the end of the game is plain vanilla. He was trying to win the game, so again I say !@#$ 'em all. There's a new kid in town, and it feels GREAT!

Going for 2 is simply putting your guys in an extra situation to try and keep the score at an interval that won't tie.

There's been some back and forth on this topic. I'm not sure what's truly customary. John harbaugh was livid with Sean Payton a few years ago for not doing any type of joint game planning during the preseason and actually bringing the house on defense. He implied the coaches often call ahead of time and make some pregame arrangements. Would make sense as a way to test guys in certain situations or against certain looks.

Seems some prefer the games to be scrimmages, some prefer them to be games.

Pettine said in one of his interviews that they weren't going to game plan much, but that the Bills as a team and organization were approaching the preseason games with a mindset that winning was very important to them, no matter what anyone says about preseason. I like that.

Pettine said in one of his interviews that they weren't going to game plan much, but that the Bills as a team and organization were approaching the preseason games with a mindset that winning was very important to them, no matter what anyone says about preseason. I like that.

Nothing wrong with that, but it will ruffle some feathers. Might also give us a little bit of an overconfidence come September when teams start spending extensive time putting together game plans to beat buffalo instead of game plans to see if their LT can play on an island or backup running back runs good enough routes to be in more often or....

I'm not knocking marrones approach, I like it, just discussing its effect on preseason evaluations vs regular. I like building up that energy and swagger with the defense early. They need an attitude and identity, and its starting to come together a little.

Edited by NoSaint

That strategy was used against Brady with pretty good success by the Giants. He does "eat aggressive, blitzing D's for lunch"...As long as they don't actually get to him. Brady does not want to take a hit......Ever. Once you start knocking him down or getting in his face the "S" falls right off his chest, and he suddenly becomes pretty average. He gets rattled and starts rushing his throws and tossing incompletes and INT's. You know your doing it right when he starts sulking and screaming at his O Line. I'd be a bit more concerned about this when we face guys like Big Ben, he takes the pressure as a challenge and still tries to make plays even though he knows he's going to get hit, kinda like Farve used to back in the day. When we face the Pats I'd be most concerned about our run D, he'll try to pick up easy 1st downs on the ground against our blitzes if our linebackers are not sharp.

And especially the refs

Nothing wrong with that, but it will ruffle some feathers. Might also give us a little bit of an overconfidence come September when teams start spending extensive time putting together game plans to beat buffalo instead of game plans to see if their LT can play on an island or backup running back runs good enough routes to be in more often or....

I'm not knocking marrones approach, I like it, just discussing its effect on preseason evaluations vs regular. I like building up that energy and swagger with the defense early. They need an attitude and identity, and its starting to come together a little.

Yeah, I agree. I think it's pretty obvious Frazer prefers Chan Gailey's preseason approach over Marrone's. :D

It certainly seems that way... if you can navigate beyond the silly pay wall, here's the link.... This could be an interesting topic to discuss. It's good that we're finally on the other end of one of these situations

http://blogs.buffalo...ml?ref=bcr#more

Sounds like a loser's mentality -- That tampa 2, dungy, dick jauron approach -- don't be aggressive, don't play to win, don't get hurt and try not to lose.

I'm glad our coaches played aggressive. It's football -- play football. Maybe Frazier is still upset the Bills passed him by for Gailey... But your offense got smacked around and looked inept, Frazier. If you don't like it, play better... Such a difference from Irsay's response to last week, for example... who pointed the blame for the loss at his own coaches. Frazier does the opposite!

Well cry me a river...unless there was some kind of pre-game gentleman's agreement the Bills coaches didn't abide by, I give Jauron this: when whumped by NE running up the score, he said "I don't have a problem with it. It's our job to stop it.

I was horrified by the way our D played last preseason. They lacked intensity, they took plays off, and lo and behold when it counted, it continued.

Play like you mean it in preseason, the wins don't count but the habit is important.

It should have come as no surprise, Pettine has repeatedly said whether in.a practice, scrimmage, or any type of game setting it didn't matter...we are coming after the QB with pressure any time they are out there...

On the flip side, what could be better for the Bills offense? After playing against our D in practice most other teams are going to be simple to play against

Totally agree. I love that EJ has an offensive system and coaches that he's comfortable with, and that he's got a D trying to trip him up every practice and scrimmage. He's come into a near perfect situation for him to grow as a young QB.

"Hey Doug, I'd like to make sure our boys get some practice in, but no blitzing, OK?"

Do they not do blitzing in practice?

How will they ever learn?

Exactly what I was thinking. What are the Bills suppose to do practice a defense that they won't be playing?

To me this is a great example of a headline shooting for effect...you can watch Frazier's interview on the Vike's website....and to say he was upset is reading some into the expression on his face and reading alot into his words...his team wasn't ready for what they saw on the field and he didn't have an answer when asked the question regarding how exotic the Bill's played defense...instead of upset i would have said "bewildered"... i think the real takeaway from the interview was Frazier's team didn't come prepared to play against a motivated Bill's defense...

I hear you but respectfully disagree. Gotta agree with Beerball and GG this time - finally for once we're going into the season with some confidence, even if it's overconfidence. It's so much better than the opposite, which we've seen around here for years. Gailey and Jauron used to whine about what the other teams were doing to unfairly terrorize them during the preseason. It was such chickensh--. And it set the tone for the regular season when their teams played not to lose, like cowards. Good riddance to the Losers' Mentality and I feel bad for Vikings fans. We've been there.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

The Bills have to get ready for the season, new season, new front office, new coaches, new players, and thank God a new attitude. It's preseason for crying outloud who cares what Leslie thinks! The Bills have a lot of new faces and schemes to get ready and I think we may see a lot more surprises (roster cuts and moves). The Bills ned to send the message to the rest of the AFC East and league that they aren't going to lay down and roll over.

I hear you but respectfully disagree. Gotta agree with Beerball and GG this time - finally for once we're going into the season with some confidence, even if it's overconfidence. It's so much better than the opposite, which we've seen around here for years. Gailey and Jauron used to whine about what the other teams were doing to unfairly terrorize them during the preseason. It was such chickensh--. And it set the tone for the regular season when their teams played not to lose, like cowards. Good riddance to the Losers' Mentality and I feel bad for Vikings fans. We've been there.

I agree too...its hard to effectively do much of anything with some of these overload blitzes he is bringing other than trying to throw hot very quickly...

I mean when you are rushing three guys from one side of the formation and they only have one guy to block, leaving two offensive lineman on the other side standing there with nothing to do because there is noone to block, what can they do?

Throw hot or hope to hell our guys trip...no way possibly to shift that far over with a line...would have to keep backs and TE in otherwise and shift them over and basically take them out of the play...plus Mario Williams on a back or TE is a huge mismatch...

That's what I see the biggest advantage of this defense...creating huge mismatches...putting the tackle up against a DT and forcing a back or TE to block our best pass rushers

I'm excited about this D but week 1 has me worried. Brady eats aggressive, blitzing defenses for breakfast and belches up TDs at the end of his meal. Disguising where the rush is coming from is good but I'm not sure sending 5-7 guys is against him 70% of the time is.

I want the Bills to blitz Brady because he he has been carving the Bills passive D for years now. Payback is a mofo they say....

Even if he does get some plays off on us?? But those QB pressures is gonna have an effect on how he plays, he is not a mobile QB by any means anymore. Make him move around now and he wont just sitting back there calling us some Bitches during the game. ( Remember last year??)

I hope Petine blitzes Brady until he throws up. :D

Here's the video of Frazier's post game presser.

You can't judge his comments without seeing the video and listening to the audio.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Frazier-We-Definitely-Have-Work-To-Do/6e4d09fb-5df0-446f-9972-50137847fd0f

You have to know what questions were asked.

It's at about 1:35.

Frazier smiled about it and was very calm and philosophical.

The reporters wouldn't drop the issue.

Frazier's a very positive human being.

I worded it poorly - I meant us on the board being over confident in expectations. I love the players building up the confidence and attitude. I was more getting at some folks expecting the same level of production out of guys once teams start game planning for us. If we are preparing more aggressively than the opponents now, odds are that gap will close a lot come September. Might see a few "camp heros" fade once an opposong coordinator is focusing on our guys instead of his own guys for instance.

Nothing wrong, just a thought that may be relevant in projecting past performance to future

exactly...a veteran head coach with a veteran team that has been through this before, maybe you don't game plan...but rookie coaching staff, rookie laden team, 13 years of futility, you need to prove yourself out of the gate and the gate starts at OTA.

Dumb comments by Frazier, why even say that? No ish the Bills are going to do what they want, entirely new staff and new team... No time to go basic vanilla every snap when that is not what you are going to do when the season rolls around..

I like this approach 10x better.. will be more prepared for the season.. Vikings will need AP to go for 2,000 yards again to be somewhat respectable.. Ponder is trash.

I'm excited about this D but week 1 has me worried. Brady eats aggressive, blitzing defenses for breakfast and belches up TDs at the end of his meal. Disguising where the rush is coming from is good but I'm not sure sending 5-7 guys is against him 70% of the time is.

I think blitzing is exactly what ya have to do with Marcia. Once ya start getting to him he throws it away a lot. He is very feminine and gets real nervous when he gets hit. His receivers suck. I think the biggest think will be stopping their running game

For a new coaching staff, the preseason is the opportunity to practice doing a game plan together. This is legitimate , and Frazier has a staff in his third? year....so they have done that before. If Marrone was practicing the game planning activity, that means they will be better at it come opening day. Marrone had it RIGHT!

Here's the video of Frazier's post game presser.

You can't judge his comments without seeing the video and listening to the audio.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Frazier-We-Definitely-Have-Work-To-Do/6e4d09fb-5df0-446f-9972-50137847fd0f

You have to know what questions were asked.

It's at about 1:35.

Frazier smiled about it and was very calm and philosophical.

The reporters wouldn't drop the issue.

Frazier's a very positive human being.

Are you saying TG threw another hissy fit article?

Are you saying TG threw another hissy fit article?

No. I wasn't really suggesting that.

What I was suggesting was that there were 70 comments/opinions about a quote by people who most likely didn't see the video and therefore can't really judge Frazier's comments based on reading them in print.

Beat me to it. The exactly same thing was said on the opposite sideline one year ago when vikings ran a track meet against the Bills.

I don't remember Gailey saying anything of the sort. Got a link?

Edited by Thurmal34

There's talk about all the blitzing in preseason on Sirius right now; it's becoming how it's done. Welcome to 2013, Vikings. If I were a Vikings fan it would scare the crap out of me that they're not ready for blitzing Ds - the season is like 3 weeks away...

Ross Tucker just tweeted "Mike. Pettine. MT: @NFL_ATL: Christian Ponder: 'Exotic' Bills defense 'hard for us to identify'"

Better do some homework!