Does anybody else think that Kolb could be a surprise cut

bufffan031

Kolb has fell far behind over the last week and when he has been in practice he has not played well. Ej and Tuel have been doing very well in practice and Ej has pulled ahead of Kolb so far for the starting roll. With Ej starting this week and Tuel being the second qb out, they both have a chance to take the top two qb jobs and run with them if they play very well. If Kolb comes out with the third stringers and doesn't play well and is continually bad in practice, I think its a possibility he could be among the final cuts that doesn't make the roster. I don't think its to likely that we go into the season with two rookie qb's but I wouldn't rule it out either.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible but unlikely. We'd have an undrafted rookie as our number 2, with a rookie starter and a suspect line..... Kolbs, if you ask me, a lock for #2 and tuel is fighting to make a roster instead of practice squad. With no current financial constraints it would be reckless to cut kolb and risk tuel playing 16 games in event of injury and his primary backup being a street free agent.

The same thought began to occur to me after this week. If they do cut him, they would first have to find another vet after cuts, not an easy thing to do. As you said, Kolb has not impressed in camp and really has to pick it up in the last three exhibitions. I see that Jackson was stellar in his first appearance the other night; he is much more mobile than Kolb and his arm is at least as good if not better. Don't know what the Bills were thinking on this one.

Doubtful.

Even if Kolb does not turn it around and is not named the starter, I would rather he be the back-up instead of Tuel.

Not to mention that the Bills will not start the regular season with only 2 QB's on the roster.

Kolb has fell far behind over the last week and when he has been in practice he has not played well. Ej and Tuel have been doing very well in practice and Ej has pulled ahead of Kolb so far for the starting roll. With Ej starting this week and Tuel being the second qb out, they both have a chance to take the top two qb jobs and run with them if they play very well. If Kolb comes out with the third stringers and doesn't play well and is continually bad in practice, I think its a possibility he could be among the final cuts that doesn't make the roster. I don't think its to likely that we go into the season with two rookie qb's but I wouldn't rule it out either.

He could get cut but not until we grab another veteran (maybe we can trade him to cincy for skelton :D )

I really hope we draft another QB because EJ is unproven and our depth is green and iffy.

Haven't seen him on Drafttek but would really like Blake Bortles from UCF 6'5" 235 big arm ,tough runner.

You mean besides them carrying grossman last year, and resigning him again this year?

And our guy being an undrafted rookie?

Tell me something I don't know. Two rookies. one first string the other 2nd. Grossman's stat line looks conspicuously empty last season while the two rookies for some reason have numbers. Pick up the phonebook if you're looking for a 3rd stringer and read my prior comment before getting all statsy on me.

Could be and should be. He has mostly stunk in practice, he is fragile and he sucked in his time at Arizona. The only upside I can see for signing this laughingstock was that he would be easy for a young QB to beat in a competition. Mission accomplished. Now, pick up a better veteran after cutdowns when it is too late for them to compete for the starting job.

Could be and should be. He has mostly stunk in practice, he is fragile and he sucked in his time at Arizona. The only upside I can see for signing this laughingstock was that he would be easy for a young QB to beat in a competition. Mission accomplished. Now, pick up a better veteran after cutdowns when it is too late for them to compete for the starting job.

Kolb knows the offense. He's been studying it for over 4 months.

Marrone and Hackett have been complimentary of Kolb's performance so far.

We should cut Kolb and pickup a veteran who doesn't know the offense?

C'mon Bado.

I can't name a team that kept two rookie QBs as their only two guys. Can you?

There's a reason for that.

And besides, Kolb hasn't even lost the #1 job yet.

Edited by Thurman#1

Kolb knows the offense. He's been studying it for over 4 months.

Marrone and Hackett have been complimentary of Kolb's performance so far.

We should cut Kolb and pickup a veteran who doesn't know the offense?

C'mon Bado.

Do you recall when Kolb got hurt in the Bills game last year? It was reminiscent of when Rob Johnson strained a glute many years ago. Looked like nothing. Turned out to be a shoulder AND ribs. The guy is a china doll and he simply doesn't bring enough production to warrant a roster spot IMO. Now, if he could come off the bench and light it up like RoJo did in relief of Flutie in 1998-1999 that might be a different story.

Whether he knows the offense or not I don't think he can put points on the board. Ideally you have a backup QB with a cement block for a skull like Fitzpatrick has, but as I mentioned, I think a decent backup QB would have provided more of a challenge to Manuel than the laughingstock QB of the league in Kevin Kolb.

Maybe Marrone thought he saw some Drew Brees qualities in Kolb and felt he could salvage this guy but I just find it hard to believe that someone actually thought Kevin Kolb might make a serviceable starting QB after his time in Arizona. Then again, Buddy thought Cornell Green was going to be his starting RT one offseason.

Beerball you have created a phrase that is so perfect for this board.

Take note here folks.

BB's day of infamy. In my mind not his of course.

ready ?

"getting all statsy on me."

classic , timeless and soon to be a legendary retort

There are 3 QBS on the Roster and there will be 3 QBs on the regular season roster. Usually you have more than 3 QBs in preseason. If you see the Bills add a veteran 4th QB before the end of preseason AND Kolb looks helpless then the odds may change.

Right now there is no shot he is cut.

That can change since we haven't even played a game.

I read that Kolb won't play tomorrow.

So EJ may get the whole first half and Tuel gets the second.

I actually would have liked to see the Bills reach out to Charlie Batch to be a back up and mentor to Manuel. At least give him a work out. He's been around the league forever and has been a part of a winning organization. He could help bring Manuel along. He was in the league last year and even beat the Ravens as a starting QB so he's still capable. I dunno, just a thought.

???????..

????????.....

Okay, maybe not a substantial amount of money.

:)

How does fifty bucks sound?

well there has to be odds and conditions and someone to witness the handshake and I am nearer the east coast and you are on the west coast and what if he gets cut for injury or his injury is a cut that causes his being cut ?

So 5 bucks it is ?

????????.....

well there has to be odds and conditions and someone to witness the handshake and I am nearer the east coast and you are on the west coast and what if he gets cut for injury or his injury is a cut that causes his being cut ?

So 5 bucks it is ?

No. I stand firm.

Fifty cents.

No. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a big name or two either cut or traded. I think Marrone & the front office view the entire roster as a level field. Just because you have a big name or big contract or a high draft number doesn't count this year.

No. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a big name or two either cut or traded. I think Marrone & the front office view the entire roster as a level field. Just because you have a big name or big contract or a high draft number doesn't count this year.

This is a prime example of fans assuming new management sees things the way they do.

At this point, what reason do we have to believe that anything has changed in this regard? Was this aspect really even a problem in the past? I don't think so, the team regularly cuts some high salaried player toward the end of camp.

Why don't we wait to see how EJ and Kolb play in a few preseason games before calling for Kolb to start. I am as optimistic about some of the young WRs and EJ as anyone, but with all of that youth expect a lot of growing pains. I kind of hope that Kolb plays well enough to start at least the first part of the season. I'd rather not put too much pressure on EJ too soon. Let him learn at a reasonable pace - he isn't Andrew Luck or RG3. He is going to need some time to be ready to start.