Doug Marrone grows irritated

Truthfully, this is exactly what Chris Brown does in his "sit down" interviews on bb.com, and it drives me nuts. I think these reporters just want to be heard so badly that when they finally have their stage, they don't want to leave it. But it is indeed painful.

Interviewing is indeed an art -- one lost upon many of today's journalists.

I don't think it's ego. Part of it is formulating bad questions. But part if it is that these coaches give crap canned answers--so if the reporter needs a sound bite or something useful, he has to ask leading questions.

a non-leading question like, "talk about Mario's play today," will be met with, "have to look at the film" answer. And then there's probably no chance for much follow up.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I understand - yes people were interested that Mario was absent, so jw should have asked the question, but then jw should have stopped asking questions about Mario so as not to offend the new coach?

If the answer is "I don't know" is it supposed to change to "he's ground up and in the freezer" if you ask enough times? This is not about offending the coach so much as asking what's the point of asking the same question ten times?

PTR

I don't think it's ego. Part of it is formulating bad questions. But part if it is that these coaches give crap canned answers--so if the reporter needs a sound bite or something useful, he has to ask leading questions.

a non-leading question like, "talk about Mario's play today," will be met with, "have to look at the film" answer. And then there's probably no chance for much follow up.

really its a matter of fans digging in deeper and deeper into the process instead of just getting the end result (whether that be seeing the game on sunday or reading the article in the paper). its a business of people, and sometimes the people have conflicting motivations, or have to follow a process that isnt quite made for tv to get what they need. we are now putting every second under a microscope.

no. if a reporter needs a sound bite or something useful, they wait for everyone to clear out and they try and talk to the coach with no one else around. that's part of their job.

If the answer is "I don't know" is it supposed to change to "he's ground up and in the freezer" if you ask enough times? This is not about offending the coach so much as asking what's the point of asking the same question ten times?

PTR

[broken record /on]

It wasn't the same question.

[broken record /off]

PTR

coming at it from different angles, on different days etc... may get slightly different answers. sometimes that can be telling. it also serves notice that a simple "i dunno" from marrone, especially on a topic he likely does know SOMETHING, isnt going to make the whole discussion disappear. i dont know shouldnt be a complete get out of jail free card if there might be a story there.

they are feeling out the relationship and giving some push back and forth. no big deal.

If the local media doesn't watch themselves..marrone will give them belicheck type press conferences...just wait....

listening to belicheck press conferences you can feel the media is hesitant to ask any questions!

Edited by billsrock61

[broken record /on]

It wasn't the same question.

[broken record /off]

I like how you keep differentiating between same question and same "line" of questions.

I don't think Marrone's disclaimer differentiated and unless the scribes were completely oblivious to social cues, they knew that.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Probably because we are most familiar with them. They may not be the worst. They may be quite typical.

That was my point in the first place. Perhaps he'll be able to understand it with your verbiage.

I like how you keep differentiating between same question and same "line" of questions.

I don't think Marrone's disclaimer differentiated and unless the scribes were completely oblivious to social cues, they knew that.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not the one differentiating. I am simply pointing it out to people who claim it was the same question asked ten times.

I fully understand why jw followed his line of questioning and I also understand why Marrone acted the way he did.

Marrone wants to set up his ground rules. But he doesn't know he's facing a press that's used to getting a runaround from obd.

GO BILLS!!!

I watched part of the video and audio of the press conference where he got exasperated with the repetitive questions. The reporters were asking questions regarding the health status of arguably the highest profile player who has a history of issues. Marrone is smart enough to know that there would be questions regarding Mario who last year had an injury that wasn't fully reported to the press and resulted in him having a procedure done during the season which also wasn't fully explained.

The organization isn't obligated to tell the press or at least volunteer information regarding the health of any player. But because of that reluctance to share what you know it is not surprising that the press digs a little more.

Were the questions from the reporters repetitive? Yes. So what is unusual about that. Were some of the questions simply anal? Yes. So what is unusual about that. When Marrone went to the podium he knew very well that the focus of attention was going to be on the Mario issue. I thought he could have prepared in advance a better status update on him.

It was refreshing to see a HC be more authentic and exibit more personality than the standard auto-pilot HC at the podium. However, if he is getting frustrated answering questions at this juncture prior to the season then how is he going to respond at the podium late in the season if his team only has a few wins and the press are asking tougher questions?

Make no mistake what I am saying here. Marrone didn't act inappropriately but he could have acted with a little more composure and preparation for questions that he knew he was going to face.

addendum: At the end of the auidio Marrone and JW were engaged in a brief discussion where both of them came to an agreeable understanding. .

Edited by JohnC

Most media members are nerds who could never play football at any level. They are annoying & live in the world of hindsight. They never admit fault and are the first ones to year you down. Media members live in a world where a geek like Jerry Sullivan can call Mario Williams a loser & not have his head ripped off by a man who's life is superior in every way over Sullivan's.

That said, being annoying is their job. I couldn't do it but its what they're supposed to do. At the same time, when you act annoying people will respond. I love Marrone's fire.

I agree with your first paragraph - especially as it relates to guys like Sullivan, Gleason, and Harrington. Being a dick is not a prerequisite to being a good journalist. Jim Kelley was a great example of that.

If the local media doesn't watch themselves..marrone will give them belicheck type press conferences...just wait....

listening to belicheck press conferences you can feel the media is hesitant to ask any questions!

He learned from the master - Bill Parcells. I actually love watching Billy B. in his press conferences . . . and loved watching Parcells as well. They do not suffer fools. I would enjoy watching either of them respond to questions from Sullivan, Gleason, or Harrington -- if any of the three were to dare act the way they do with the Sabres or Bills.

Edited by Peter

coming at it from different angles, on different days etc... may get slightly different answers. sometimes that can be telling. it also serves notice that a simple "i dunno" from marrone, especially on a topic he likely does know SOMETHING, isnt going to make the whole discussion disappear. i dont know shouldnt be a complete get out of jail free card if there might be a story there.

they are feeling out the relationship and giving some push back and forth. no big deal.

I like this Marroon fellow. I dont care boo about Marios whatevers. Coach set the tone.

Its up tempo. Obviously.

What he really said was " i will tell you what i want to tell you when i am darned good and ready "

I suspect some adjustments will be coming.

But god love the Doug as our coach. He is like 6'5" y'know

I am sorry for being so late to respond to this thread...but after watching and hearing about our coach get ripped all day on radio and TV I thought I might let out some Frustration. I for one liked seeing the fire when answering questions like that, that he probably got asked 100 times over. The reporter that asked those questions should have been listening to the previous 99 responses before asking the question again, but instead of listening he was just planning his question that was already asked.

I agree with your first paragraph - especially as it relates to guys like Sullivan, Gleason, and Harrington. Being a dick is not a prerequisite to being a good journalist. Jim Kelley was a great example of that.

He learned from the master - Bill Parcells. I actually love watching Billy B. in his press conferences . . . and loved watching Parcells as well. They do not suffer fools. I would enjoy watching either of them respond to questions from Sullivan, Gleason, or Harrington -- if any of the three were to dare act the way they do with the Sabres or Bills.

It's not apparent what he learned from Parcells. I never saw Parcells get exasperated so quickly, or ever, really.

Parcells belittled the press, but never had to resort to saying things like "I'm a straight shooter...". Sounded like pleading. The locals smelled a little blood in the water. Parcells never had a day like that. Also, I don't think Parcells ever came into a room where he didn't anticipate and have ready an answer to all questions. I never watched him and thought he didn't know what was going on with on of his players.

Agree with all this. I would add Felser, Gaughan, Carucci and others to Kelley's name.

Belichick would eat these clowns up.

1) Why does Marrone have to be Belechek/Parcells ish in the first place? As I recall, Mike Ditka wasn't exactly in command at the podium, and he at least won a Super Bowl...

2) But yeah, we have to use Belechek as the example, I guess. So maybe we should compare apples to apples and compare Marrone to the Cleveland-era Belechek. Hopefully Marrone is a quicker study and won't have to wait until his 2nd pro team to find success.

3) Until I hear "We just sucked! Absolutely sucked!" "PLAYOFFS??" Coming out of his food chute, I'm not going to worry about it.

1) Why does Marrone have to be Belechek/Parcells ish in the first place? As I recall, Mike Ditka wasn't exactly in command at the podium, and he at least won a Super Bowl...

2) But yeah, we have to use Belechek as the example, I guess. So maybe we should compare apples to apples and compare Marrone to the Cleveland-era Belechek. Hopefully Marrone is a quicker study and won't have to wait until his 2nd pro team to find success.

3) Until I hear "We just sucked! Absolutely sucked!" "PLAYOFFS??" Coming out of his food chute, I'm not going to worry about it.

Some would argue that was Buddy Ryan's first superbowl win :D

I didn't go back and read every post in this thread, but has it not been discussed that perhaps the most obvious explanation is the correct one? Namely -- Marrone was told on Sunday night that Mario had a sore foot, nobody thought it was serious, but because this is their key defensive player he was going to get a 2nd opinion and there was no need to rush him onto the field (since he was at every OTA and obviously understands the defense)? That would explain Marrone's seemingly nonchalant attitude about the situation and reluctance to talk about it. "Should" he have realized the media would be in a frenzy over Mario's absence? Probably. But I don't for one second believe Marrone was "unaware" of the situation; he's simply a coach who prefers to talk about "the players who are here." You can already tell talking about injuries is the last thing he wants to do.

Wawrow was certainly warranted in asking a few follow up questions to probe for information, but, in my opinion, the question that clearly went over the line was the one asking if Mario "had the team's permission" to be away from camp. That was pure "snarkiness" and frustration over not getting the answers he wanted.

Anyway, it appears all of this is now water under the bridge, as Marrone has capitulated to the media's request for specific injury updates. I do like very much, however, the fact that players have been told not to discuss their injuries and all information will come straight from Marrone.

Wawrow was certainly warranted in asking a few follow up questions to probe for information, but, in my opinion, the question that clearly went over the line was the one asking if Mario "had the team's permission" to be away from camp. That was pure "snarkiness" and frustration over not getting the answers he wanted.

Senator, I served with Snarky. I knew Snarky. Snarky was a friend of mine. Senator, that question was not Snarky.