Should we be concerned about Dareus?

It appears we have Mario and Dareus to be concerned with now.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/7/29/4569872/marcell-dareus-healthy-as-a-rock-buffalo-bills-training-camp

"We wrote a fairly lengthy article about Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Jay Ross today, necessitated by the fact that he continues to see first-team reps on defense following a healthy dose of the same during the spring months. Part of the reason Ross has had that opportunity? An ongoing situation surrounding third-year defensive tackle Marcell Dareus.

WGR 550's Joe Buscaglia pointed out on Sunday evening that Dareus was barely involved in one-on-one blocking drills between the offensive and defensive lines, and was only taking one in three first-team reps during the team portions of practice. The cause of his appearing limited? We're still not sure, but it's apparently not his health.

"I'm healthy as a rock," Dareus told ESPN.com's Mike Rodak on Monday. "Believe me, with our strength coaches, you're not going to be out here if you're not in shape."

If it's not his health, then what's holding Dareus back? The most likely answer seems to be the coaching staff, but that still doesn't account for an actual reason. Is it the fact that he missed (at least) a week of practices during the spring for personal reasons? Has Ross simply been that impressive? Or should we legitimately be worried about Dareus' pro prospects as he enters his third season as a pro, as well as his prospects as a starting Bills defensive lineman in 2013?"

It appears we have Mario and Dareus to be concerned with now.

http://www.buffaloru...s-training-camp

"We wrote a fairly lengthy article about Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Jay Ross today, necessitated by the fact that he continues to see first-team reps on defense following a healthy dose of the same during the spring months. Part of the reason Ross has had that opportunity? An ongoing situation surrounding third-year defensive tackle Marcell Dareus.

WGR 550's Joe Buscaglia pointed out on Sunday evening that Dareus was barely involved in one-on-one blocking drills between the offensive and defensive lines, and was only taking one in three first-team reps during the team portions of practice. The cause of his appearing limited? We're still not sure, but it's apparently not his health.

"I'm healthy as a rock," Dareus told ESPN.com's Mike Rodak on Monday. "Believe me, with our strength coaches, you're not going to be out here if you're not in shape."

If it's not his health, then what's holding Dareus back? The most likely answer seems to be the coaching staff, but that still doesn't account for an actual reason. Is it the fact that he missed (at least) a week of practices during the spring for personal reasons? Has Ross simply been that impressive? Or should we legitimately be worried about Dareus' pro prospects as he enters his third season as a pro, as well as his prospects as a starting Bills defensive lineman in 2013?"

Could it be as simple as Marrone sticking to his word that players who earn time get time?

MD missed a lot of the earlier stuff. Let him earn his spot back. 2 practices doesn't earn you anything.

Could it be as simple as Marrone sticking to his word that players who earn time get time?

MD missed a lot of the earlier stuff. Let him earn his spot back. 2 practices doesn't earn you anything.

I hope that is the case. I like Dareus and feel his has a ton of potential. If he is struggling, I'm sure he's dealing with ton of depression after his brother was murdered last year, that's just something you can't quickly rebound from.

It's pretty clear that the Dareus pick was a bad one, and the Williams signing was even worse. They need to just cut their losses and move on.

I'm hoping Marrone is just using some tactics to motivate Dareus. I don't think Dareus is lazy, I think he's still having a difficult time dealing with the loss of his brother. With Mariocre, if he's playing a Bruce Smith (meaning, using tactics to avoid training camp), but actually performs in the regular season, then I could care less. But if that's not the case, and like others have said about him, "It's always something with this guy" then I feel the Bills should cut him. According to the thread about Mario's contract, the deal is essentially a two year deal.

i suspect its an attempt to light a fire under him, but who knows. with new scheme, new coaches, who knows how the fits are working out.

I suspect everyone participating in this thread would benefit from a read through of last year's "Levitre Demoted" thread.

could it be that they want to see they guy that they don't have 2 season's worth of footage on??? let's not get crazy here...

more than likely its simply lighting a fire under a guy that many have wanted to see more fire from.

more than likely its simply lighting a fire under a guy that many have wanted to see more fire from.

Based on what? Your explanation is plausible, not likely. The Clown's take is also quite plausible. Without more information, any discussion of likelihood is pure speculation.

Based on what? Your explanation is plausible, not likely. The Clown's take is also quite plausible. Without more information, any discussion of likelihood is pure speculation.

That's likely plausible. Even plausibly likely.

GO BILLS!!!

I hope that is the case. I like Dareus and feel his has a ton of potential. If he is struggling, I'm sure he's dealing with ton of depression after his brother was murdered last year, that's just something you can't quickly rebound from.

Losing family to murder must be brutal. But when does that depression labeling stop? Didn't Dareus even say he has re-committed? I think anyone in any job has a reasonable time to move on. Hopefully, the offseason helped him do that. This is the year for this guy to do it. Play to his potential. To be a conditioned dedicated beast deserving of his high pick. Enough of the excuses. That, for what it's worth he himself doesn't even make.

Motivation should never be underestimated. It's a powerful element and can trump talent when talent gets lazy.

It's what seperates guys like Jay Ross from guys like Dareus and Williams in camp.

I think the Bills have motivation problems with both Dareus and Williams. The guys have all world talent but mediocre desire to use it consistently and get out hustled and out worked by less talented players.

because we have young guys all over the place that arent putting starters on the sideline, and we have a history of dareus seeming to lack that extra passion for the job, ill stand by that i think the most likely situation is light the fire. if you disagree, fine... im willing to speculate based on the situational clues that i feel are out there.

because we have young guys all over the place that arent putting starters on the sideline, and we have a history of dareus seeming to lack that extra passion for the job, ill stand by that i think the most likely situation is light the fire. if you disagree, fine... im willing to speculate based on the situational clues that i feel are out there.

Since when? What happened to your mantra of "we don't know all the facts yet. Don't jump to conclusions"?

Since when? What happened to your mantra of "we don't know all the facts yet. Don't jump to conclusions"?

whatever chief, im not digging up a spat from a month ago. feel free to join doc and weos random ongoing arguments if thats what you are looking for. if its personal, feel free to DM me instead of dusting up another thread with the two of us debating over something we wont agree on anyway and doesnt matter in the slightest to the thousands of others out there reading.

Statically he was very good last year. Not sure what people are expecting. I think it's because our defense is so bad as a whole that people think Dareus is not playing well.

Dareus has not been a dominant force since we drafted him. At best so far he has been a poor man's Sam Adams. EVERYONE on this team is starting from square one. Just because he was drafted 3rd overall doesn't mean he is an automatic starter. The rules have changed since Buddy and Chan's summer camp. The guys who play hardest and play the best will start and see lots of playing time. It will not matter what their pedigree is. I think there will be some surprising cuts this summer.

I am also not losing sleep over Mario Williams foot. The guy is fragile, plays soft as a bag of marshmellows, and has the passion of a corpse. I am sure that a lot of people in the organization would love to take back that ridiculous contract they paid him last year.

I think most of you are on track...I believe it to be a few reasons, most of which have been mentioned. The two reasons I'm leaning towards is are that Pettine wants a healthy rotation on the D Line and he has to see what he's working with, regarding drop-off when guys like Ross are on the field. Petting knows what Dareus and KW/MW can do, he's seen it up close and personal 4 times. He needs to get a body of work from Ross, Carrington, even Branch, et al.

All in all, it's assessment time and it's only a couple days into camp...CHILL

Dareus looks good saw him during the scrum they showed in NFL network he had his helm off smiling. He definitely Lost weight he was pouring out of his jersey at OTAs, now he looks more compact in the mid area.

That's good news...Because he most definitely looked overweight at the 1st OTA he attended...I saw the video on the official site and had to go back a few times to look at it again...I swear he looked 360 plus... B-)

Dareus has not been a dominant force since we drafted him. At best so far he has been a poor man's Sam Adams. EVERYONE on this team is starting from square one. Just because he was drafted 3rd overall doesn't mean he is an automatic starter. The rules have changed since Buddy and Chan's summer camp. The guys who play hardest and play the best will start and see lots of playing time. It will not matter what their pedigree is. I think there will be some surprising cuts this summer.

I am also not losing sleep over Mario Williams foot. The guy is fragile, plays soft as a bag of marshmellows, and has the passion of a corpse. I am sure that a lot of people in the organization would love to take back that ridiculous contract they paid him last year.

With this being the 3rd defensive coordinator in 3 years for Dareus, hopefully we'll start to see some consistency & improvement.

he did finally come out and say that all the personal issues really devastated him and late in the season he caught himself and put an end to his 'pity-fest'. I cannot imagine what he was dealing with, but he did also say he really didn't have anyone he felt he could dump his feelings on, hopefully he learned a very tough life lesson and will be able to not keep these things bottled up. I expect MD to be an absolute beast this year.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/07/30/dareus-new-outlook-on-life-football/

Losing family to murder must be brutal. But when does that depression labeling stop? Didn't Dareus even say he has re-committed? I think anyone in any job has a reasonable time to move on. Hopefully, the offseason helped him do that. This is the year for this guy to do it. Play to his potential. To be a conditioned dedicated beast deserving of his high pick. Enough of the excuses. That, for what it's worth he himself doesn't even make.

Edited by The Poojer

he did finally come out and say that all the personal issues really devastated him and late in the season he caught himself and put an end to his 'pity-fest'. I cannot imagine what he was dealing with, but he did also say he really didn't have anyone he felt he could dump his feelings on, hopefully he learned a very tough life lesson and will be able to not keep these things bottled up. I expect MD to be an absolute beast this year.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/07/30/dareus-new-outlook-on-life-football/

and many of us noted he looked big and slow even before the season. like he didnt push the workouts in his first full offseason as hard as he needed to.

you often see it with naturally gifted guys, and especially big guys - the death stuff seemed to just make it that much worse. i think he will be very good for us this year though.

Pretty much none of this is accurate.

and many of us noted he looked big and slow even before the season. like he didnt push the workouts in his first full offseason as hard as he needed to.

you often see it with naturally gifted guys, and especially big guys - the death stuff seemed to just make it that much worse. i think he will be very good for us this year though.

And it's not just this latest death. He's deal with death throughout his life. I definitely think he might have broken and began to question some things.

I know fans don't like to hear it but this is his job. Many posters here half ass their jobs when they are distracted. Now imagine if your brother was murdered on top of multiple other deaths of family members.

And it still remains that guy can make dominant plays at times. I remember him busting in on Luck & throwing him down like a twig. I believe I read he's 4th in sacks for DTs the last 2 years. He has 11 sacks compared to 6.5 to Nick Fairley, the other top DT in his draft.

Here's to MD breaking out but more importantly, having a stable year without tragedy.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Pretty much none of this is accurate.

And what isn't accurate? What team were you watching last year? Dareus was pushed every which way the opposing O line wanted him to go, like he was on a 4 wheel cart used to move furniture. And Mareo played w the intensity of a DE in the woman's powder puff league.