Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

Yeah, that's it. If you want to gauge your future QB on how well he played against average teams like North Illinois in Bowls or Wake Forest/NcSt then go ahead and be prepared to be surprised when he flops. . But when it came to top ranked teams in big games like the Florida game, he goes for 4 turnovers in THE BIGGEST GAME OF HIS CAREER at home. See last year's UF game or the OU game the same year.

You can read a game log or you can watch the games and understand the context. Good luck with our newest project.

Since he was planning to go to the NFL, I would say the biggest game of his career would have been the Senior Bowl. How did he fare under the same circumstances as the other top prospects under the glare of NFL execs and scouts?

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since he was planning to go to the NFL, I would say the biggest game of his career would have been the Senior Bowl. How did he fare under the same circumstances as the other top prospects under the glare of NFL execs and scouts?

absolutely not. the senior bowl, with random guys youve known a week is not near as important as how he handled any given week at FSU.

the only people not laughing at this pick Are bills fans once again justifying a ridiculous move by the FO. Is EJ a bad pick? time will tell. was picking him in the first When He absolutely would have been available in the second a stupid move? absolutely.

Posted this in a separate thread but the thread police didn't appreciate it, so here goes again:.

ESPN Sport Science: E.J. Manuel

Impressive performance that ranked him in between Andy Dalton and Ben Roethlisberger among current pros, and he beat Kaepernick's score in one of the drills. He was the highest scoring QB among this year's QB class.

I liked what the host says at the end of the clip: "Now some question EJ Manuel's ability to throw downfield. But consider this: in passes travelling more than 10 yards through the air, his senior completion percentage was only about 2% lower than last year's #1 pick, Andrew Luck."

I'm cool with this pick and the moves to get him for now. I haven't seen too much of him, but on paper he has all the main qualities I look for in a QB (ie. leader, athletic, non-statue). I've read here that he doesn't have any 'signature wins' but I don't believe he has folded at crunch time at the end of big games either (ala Mallett). I'm looking forward to watching him play, and hope he does not become EJ Losman (because then he will have to leave).

It will be interesting to see what the Bills do in round 2.

I think it will say a lot about what their vision is for EJ.

If they take a WR and a TE in round 2 then I think they are pretty much setting EJ up to be the starter.

I think the key will be if they draft a TE in round 2. Every rookie QB can benifit from a good TE

CBF

the only people not laughing at this pick Are bills fans once again justifying a ridiculous move by the FO. Is EJ a bad pick? time will tell. was picking him in the first When He absolutely would have been available in the second a stupid move? absolutely.

1357412154331.jpg

Post reaction here...

I know you keep plenty busy, but just an idea.... Any chance you could put things like sport science, major highlights, and any bulky/important interviews and such in the OP for the thread. I find that with all the merges and volume of posts good stuff gets buried then re-posted in new threads then.... You get it.

Any chance?

I know you keep plenty busy, but just an idea.... Any chance you could put things like sport science, major highlights, and any bulky/important interviews and such in the OP for the thread. I find that with all the merges and volume of posts good stuff gets buried then re-posted in new threads then.... You get it.

Any chance?

This is a great idea.

Absolutely according to who? Draft "experts" who get it wrong every year? The same guys who said Geno wouldn't make it past 8? I'm not sure why everybody is so confident he'd have been there in the 2nd when there are plenty of other teams who need QBs who might have been willing to move up into the late first round to nab him - or simply stayed put and grabbed him at the beginning of the 2nd. I love you guys who think that because you read it in some draft report it's going to play out exactly how they claim.

Bottom line is nobody knows if he'd have been there in round 2 and anybody who claims they do is full of it.

If the Bills' scouting and coaching staff thought that we was clearly a step above the next 3, and the future face of the franchise, it was the right time to take him. By pick 41 Jacksonville, Oakland, Arizona, the Jets, and the Titans all could concieveably take a QB. If they thought he was special, it's likely they thought others would covet him too, and he'd be in the top 2 on others' boards. If we had swapped with SF, would one of those teams have been willing to do a Minnesota-type move to move back before 31?... we'll never know.

We didn't have the ammo to come back into the first without sacrificing next year's 1st in my opinion. With our holes, there's no way we would have given up a deal like what Minnesota did.

Edited by DasNootz

If the Bills' scouting and coaching staff thought that we was clearly a step above the next 3, and the future face of the franchise, it was the right time to take him. By pick 41 Jacksonville, Oakland, Arizona, the Jets, and the Titans all could concieveably take a QB. If they thought he was special, it's likely they thought others would covet him too, and he'd be in the top 2 on others' boards. If we had swapped with SF, would one of those teams have been willing to do a Minnesota-type move to move back before 31?... we'll never know.

We didn't have the ammo to come back into the first without sacrificing next year's 1st in my opinion. With our holes, there's no way we would have given up a deal like what Minnesota did.

The Bills made the right moves. Clearly he is the guy they wanted and they got an extra pick. If they hit on both this could go down as the most brilliant draft in franchise history. If both picks are busts......

Any chance?

Who do you think he is? Roger Goodell?? We don't listen to the fans around here!

I don't care that the Bills blocked the Jets from taking Austin and got extra picks in the draft.

I don't care that they trade down and got the #1 QB on their board still.

I don't care that he is the most physically gifted and best leader among the QBs.

I don't care he played the whole season while stressing about his mother battling breast cancer.

I don't care that the Eagles loved the guy and would have tried to draft him.

I just care that he was the #5 QB on community college grad Mel Kiper's draft board. The Bills are jokes once again.