Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

I've always considered McShay to be quite the buffoon, but he does have the best record in predicting the first round among himself, Kiper, and Mayock over the past three seasons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/54631/mcshay-nassibs-arm-vastly-overrated

"Nassib's arm vastly overrated," McShay tweeted yesterday. "Short/intermediate throws MPHs but struggles driving ball vertically on tape and see same at Senior Bowl."

Considering this scorching analysis of Nassib's abilities as a QB, I can totally see why McShay thinks (hopes?) the Bills will draft him at #8. It's almost as if the media wants the Bills to be bad and are trying to push them into drafting Nassib at #8 and making the biggest mistake in their franchise history.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I've been following this draft all that closely, but in the times I've seen Nassib play, including watching him against USC this morning, I guess I just don't get it. I'm not particularly impressed. I don't see anything there that suggests he's anything more than a run-of-the-mill mid round prospect.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/54631/mcshay-nassibs-arm-vastly-overrated

"Nassib's arm vastly overrated," McShay tweeted yesterday. "Short/intermediate throws MPHs but struggles driving ball vertically on tape and see same at Senior Bowl."

Considering this scorching analysis of Nassib's abilities as a QB, I can totally see why McShay thinks (hopes?) the Bills will draft him at #8. It's almost as if the media wants the Bills to be bad and are trying to push them into drafting Nassib at #8 and making the biggest mistake in their franchise history.

Yeah, it must be because the media wants the Bills to fail. (That's nuckin futs).

I can't say I've been following this draft all that closely, but in the times I've seen Nassib play, including watching him against USC this morning, I guess I just don't get it. I'm not particularly impressed. I don't see anything there that suggests he's anything more than a run-of-the-mill mid round prospect.

I feel the same way. I just don't see anything to suggest he's a day-one starter in the NFL. He looks like the typical project QB to me. And, by definition, you don't draft those types with the 8th overall pick. I really think all this talk is just a smoke screen given the unique relationship betweem Marrone, Hackett, and Nassib. There are several Ryan Nassib's in this draft.

GO BILLS!!!

I feel the same way. I just don't see anything to suggest he's a day-one starter in the NFL. He looks like the typical project QB to me. And, by definition, you don't draft those types with the 8th overall pick. I really think all this talk is just a smoke screen given the unique relationship betweem Marrone, Hackett, and Nassib. There are several Ryan Nassib's in this draft.

GO BILLS!!!

Yea, I'm there too. Just doesn't wow me. Like I said earlier in this thread, if Marrone was given the chance to recruit a QB again, only this time he didn't have to compete to get them and basically had his shot at some of the most talented QB's, which he probably had no shot at while with Syracuse, would he choose Nassib, again.

Guess we'll find out in the coming days...

Let's get serious everyone. The Bills are taking Nassib. It's a done deal. It was a done deal when they brought in Marrone. Since becoming the coach, all he has done is bring in all of his buddies as assistants. He seems to be loyal to a fault. Is he really getting the best guys or just handing out jobs to his loyal followers? All signs point to Nassib so all of this speculation is pointless imo. As goes Nassib, so goes Marrone. So I hope he's right about hitching his wagon to this guy or we will have a new coach in 2016

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg is "very high" on Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib, and the Bills are worried the Jets will poach him.

As Sal Pal alluded to, the Jets "control the first round" to some extent with the Nos. 9 and 13 selections, either or even both of which could be used as trade bait for a coveted player such as Tavon Austin or if a top-five player surprisingly falls. Both the Jets and Bills have QB needs and are very high on Nassib. "I know one thing for sure in talking to people around the league," Paolantonio reported. "The Buffalo Bills want Ryan Nassib. But they're very concerned the Jets will take him later in the first round. So the Bills may be forced to take him at No. 8."

What an epic disaster that would be. The love affair with this average (at best) QB is mind boggling

Let's get serious everyone. The Bills are taking Nassib. It's a done deal. It was a done deal when they brought in Marrone. Since becoming the coach, all he has done is bring in all of his buddies as assistants. He seems to be loyal to a fault. Is he really getting the best guys or just handing out jobs to his loyal followers? All signs point to Nassib so all of this speculation is pointless imo. As goes Nassib, so goes Marrone. So I hope he's right about hitching his wagon to this guy or we will have a new coach in 2016

Link?

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg is "very high" on Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib, and the Bills are worried the Jets will poach him.

As Sal Pal alluded to, the Jets "control the first round" to some extent with the Nos. 9 and 13 selections, either or even both of which could be used as trade bait for a coveted player such as Tavon Austin or if a top-five player surprisingly falls. Both the Jets and Bills have QB needs and are very high on Nassib. "I know one thing for sure in talking to people around the league," Paolantonio reported. "The Buffalo Bills want Ryan Nassib. But they're very concerned the Jets will take him later in the first round. So the Bills may be forced to take him at No. 8."

Wonder how much of the Jets interest is feigned, just to do what Sal says here - force the Bills to take Nassib at 8 if they want him.

Let's get serious everyone. The Bills are taking Nassib. It's a done deal. It was a done deal when they brought in Marrone. Since becoming the coach, all he has done is bring in all of his buddies as assistants. He seems to be loyal to a fault. Is he really getting the best guys or just handing out jobs to his loyal followers?

The most important hire was not a Syracuse guy, it was Pettine. Two of the three coordinator jobs were not Cuse guys. Of the main position coaches, WR and OL were not, RB was. DL and LB were not, DB was. It was about one third. That is not unusual or more than any new coach would hire as far as bringing in guys he worked with.

Wonder how much of the Jets interest is feigned, just to do what Sal says here - force the Bills to take Nassib at 8 if they want him.

Or they want to get a good look at the QB they'll be seeing for the next couple years if the Bills draft him. Either way it's good intel.

You'll really need to define "buddies" because to suggest a HC would hire key assistants he doesn't know or with whom he hasn't worked is pretty ridiculous. Also, is Pettine Marrone's "buddy?"

Great work by Tim Graham here:

http://blogs.buffalo...yan-nassib.html

Just another scribe's opinion. It's amazing how stupid we must be. Here we are the day before the draft and everything we've been fed up to now has been fed to us by the scribes and pundits. Not one of them have interviewed any player coming out or worked any player like an NFL team does. They just go on rumors, subjective information, and measureables. You hear crap like this is the worst draft ever. I say bulls#it. There may not be the sizzle of the past drafts but I'll bet you there's a lot more steak, and the scribes can't handle it because there is no clear cut picks in just about every draft slot in the 1st rd.. Hell, the pundits had T'aeo, Geno, Werner, and Mingo all going in the top 5 four freakin months ago. Now where are they? All these freakin scribes do is listen to rumors and their sources, accurate or not, and run with it. The same s#it they print on a subject today is totally different than what they printed last week and the week before. They just don't knopw what to do now that it's not clear cut... so now they resort to theorizing.

What I think is there are about 60 players that could legitimately be considered 1st round picks. I don't believe there are any worth a top ten pick if you go by the standards of some of the drafts in the past. There's no Heisman winner in this class... no sizzle... and that really bothers the media and has their shorts in a knot. I believe we will see players drafted in rd. 1 that normally would be drafted in round 2. But I also see players being drafted in round 3 that in some of the other drafts would be 2nd rounder. This draft ain't spectacular, but it is damn solid and I believe you will see a lot more rookies and rookie free agents making solid contributions to their teams this year.

I don't know what everyone else thinks the selection of Nassib... But more so than I ever remember seeing before a draft, he has been absolutely the most polarizing figure in regards to fan sentiment. I've never seen a time on the eve of a draft when you've got half the Bills fans lined up on one side saying definitely not to Nassib and the other half saying yes, pull the string on him. Not too many bitched about the Losman, McCargo, Whitner, Maybin, Spiller, Lynch selections before the draft. I don't know if it's a good or bad. Maybe it is a good thing. Maybe the selection of Nassib with half the fans booing it willend up similar to the Philly fans booing the McNabb selection. I thought that worked out pretty well for Philly for a dozen years.

I'll say this... Nassib has as much value in round 1 as 59 other players. It's all in how the player is used and the system in which he plays in. We're looking at an offense that will be up tempo, a lot of ground game, a lot of northeast weather, and a lot of rabid Bills fans. What QB has better credentials to deal with that? Nassib doesn't give a flip. He's a no B word, no excuse, do what ya have to do to win guy. Graham's comment about the Nassib decision being made before the caoch was hired doesn't make a lot of sense. That just fuels the fire that Nassib was the selection regardless of the coach the Bills hired. So what? If he's the pick, he's the pick. If it fails, so what, the Bills have been spinning their wheels for 13 years. If it turns out he sucks that bad, the team is gonns suck and have another shot in the top 8 next year. At least bringing in Nassib and Marrone in is a totally different way of thinking than the approach the Bills have used over the past several years, it's unprecedented and could be just what the doctor ordered. To hell with the conventional wisdom... it's damn time something gets shaken up bigtime. What the hell does a perennial 6-10 have to lose? Nassib may or may not be a "franchise" guy, but if the Bills grab him, I have no doubt he will at least bring stability to the QB position. If you want sizzle... pass on Nassib... get someone else and we'll continue on the same merry go round we've been on.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Just another scribe's opinion. It's amazing how stupid we must be. Here we are the day before the draft and everything we've been fed up to now has been fed to us by the scribes and pundits. Not one of them have interviewed any player coming out or worked any player like an NFL team does. They just go on rumors, subjective information, and measureables. You hear crap like this is the worst draft ever. I say bulls#it. There may not be the sizzle of the past drafts but I'll bet you there's a lot more steak, and the scribes can't handle it because there is no clear cut picks in just about every draft slot in the 1st rd.. Hell, the pundits had T'aeo, Geno, Werner, and Mingo all going in the top 5 four freakin months ago. Now where are they? All these freakin scribes do is listen to rumors and their sources, accurate or not, and run with it. The same s#it they print on a subject today is totally different than what they printed last week and the week before. They just don't knopw what to do now that it's not clear cut... so now they resort to theorizing.

What I think is there are about 60 players that could legitimately be considered 1st round picks. I don't believe there are any worth a top ten pick if you go by the standards of some of the drafts in the past. There's no Heisman winner in this class... no sizzle... and that really bothers the media and has their shorts in a knot. I believe we will see players drafted in rd. 1 that normally would be drafted in round 2. But I also see players being drafted in round 3 that in some of the other drafts would be 2nd rounder. This draft ain't spectacular, but it is damn solid and I believe you will see a lot more rookies and rookie free agents making solid contributions to their teams this year.

I don't know what everyone else thinks the selection of Nassib... But more so than I ever remember seeing before a draft, he has been absolutely the most polarizing figure in regards to fan sentiment. I've never seen a time on the eve of a draft when you've got half the Bills fans lined up on one side saying definitely not to Nassib and the other half saying yes, pull the string on him. Not too many bitched about the Losman, McCargo, Whitner, Maybin, Spiller, Lynch selections before the draft. I don't know if it's a good or bad. Maybe it is a good thing. Maybe the selection of Nassib with half the fans booing it willend up similar to the Philly fans booing the McNabb selection. I thought that worked out pretty well for Philly for a dozen years.

I'll say this... Nassib has as much value in round 1 as 59 other players. It's all in how the player is used and the system in which he plays in. We're looking at an offense that will be up tempo, a lot of ground game, a lot of northeast weather, and a lot of rabid Bills fans. What QB has better credentials to deal with that? Nassib doesn't give a flip. He's a no B word, no excuse, do what ya have to do to win guy. Graham's comment about the Nassib decision being made before the caoch was hired doesn't make a lot of sense. That just fuels the fire that Nassib was the selection regardless of the coach the Bills hired. So what? If he's the pick, he's the pick. If it fails, so what, the Bills have been spinning their wheels for 13 years. If it turns out he sucks that bad, the team is gonns suck and have another shot in the top 8 next year. At least bringing in Nassib and Marrone in is a totally different way of thinking than the approach the Bills have used over the past several years, it's unprecedented and could be just what the doctor ordered. To hell with the conventional wisdom... it's damn time something gets shaken up bigtime. What the hell does a perennial 6-10 have to lose? Nassib may or may not be a "franchise" guy, but if the Bills grab him, I have no doubt he will at least bring stability to the QB position. If you want sizzle... pass on Nassib... get someone else and we'll continue on the same merry go round we've been on.

I'm confused by this post. If we take him and he fails, so what, we'll have another shot next year. But if we pass on Nassib, we'll continue on the merry go round we've been on.

Personally, I'd rather have a blue chip player who can contribute rather than a project. But if Nassib's the choice, we'll rally behind the kid.

GO BILLS!!!

I maintain: If Buffalo drafts Nassib at 8, it's because they think he's a franchise QB, not because another team might want him.

I am going to absolutely hate it if the Bills act as if this is the final class of QBs to ever enter the NFL. Do not overvalue any of these QBs, including Nassib, especially if they're not going to start this season.

This all points to the ultimate failings of Buddy Nix in the past few years. Cannot wait until he's the Bills' ex-GM.

I am going to absolutely hate it if the Bills act as if this is the final class of QBs to ever enter the NFL. Do not overvalue any of these QBs, including Nassib, especially if they're not going to start this season.

This all points to the ultimate failings of Buddy Nix in the past few years. Cannot wait until he's the Bills' ex-GM.

I don't think that taking a QB conveys that message at all. Even if they take one, there's absolutely no reason they can't take another next year. In fact, that approach increases their odds of finally addressing the most important position in the game.

Here is another draft "expert" Josh Norris, Rotoworld's top analyst who is not part of the "consensus" and that is clearly another "outlier" who believes that Nassib will be the first Qb taken in this year's draft.

Hold on, it's all beginning to make sense now. I think 1billsfan is on to something. Rotoworld is owned by..... Wait for it......

NBC.

NBC is THE epitome of the mainstream media.

First it was the conservatives who were being unfairly targeted by the mainstream media, but now the mainstream media have set their sights elsewhere. No longer are they setting their goals so low to target only politics, but now sports as well, and Buffalo is now their main target. Yes, Buffalo. Buffalo = Conservatives. Now the mainstream media will do everything in their power, which is to get in the minds of Sports Illustrated, NFL Films, NFL GM's, ESPN employees and others to somehow give the illusion that Nassib should be selected by the Bills, so that they can trick the Bills into selecting Nassib, all in order to tear them down.

Don't mess with the mainstream media, or they'll come after your favorite football team too.

The most important hire was not a Syracuse guy, it was Pettine. Two of the three coordinator jobs were not Cuse guys. Of the main position coaches, WR and OL were not, RB was. DL and LB were not, DB was. It was about one third. That is not unusual or more than any new coach would hire as far as bringing in guys he worked with.

I'm talking specifically about OC and Special teams. Two highly questionable hires. They were brought in because they were his buddies and not because they were the best available for the job. You will see when they take Nassib at 8, a player that is without a doubt a project and not an immediate starter, that Marrone is more about loyalty than doing what's best for the team

I'm talking specifically about OC and Special teams. Two highly questionable hires. They were brought in because they were his buddies and not because they were the best available for the job. You will see when they take Nassib at 8, a player that is without a doubt a project and not an immediate starter, that Marrone is more about loyalty than doing what's best for the team

You said Syracuse guys. Crossman is not a Syracuse guy. He's also been a good ST coach in the NFL. He may not be your first choice but he's HIGHLY qualified and has had some excellent results. It would be unusual and disconcerting if he hired all kinds of guys he didn't know.

Crossman will enter his 11th year as an NFL coach in 2013 and ninth as a special teams coordinator.

From 2010-12, Crossman presided over the Detroit Lions’ special teams unit after seven years with the Carolina Panthers (2003-09), including the final five as their special teams coordinator. Crossman entered the NFL with Carolina in 2003 as a special teams assistant while also assisting the team’s strength and conditioning program.

In 2012, Lions K Jason Hanson posted a career-high and set a franchise record with 134 points. During Crossman’s tenure with Detroit from 2010-12, S John Wendling tied for the NFL-lead with 51 special teams tackles.

In his first year with the Lions in 2010, the kick return unit was the third-most improved in the League with an average 3.5 more yards per return than in 2009. Returner Stefan Logan posted the fifth-best punt return average in the NFL (12.1). Detroit also had the NFL’s 10th-most significant improvement in punt return average in 2010 – a jump from an 8.8 punt return average in 2009 to 12.1 yards per punt return in 2010.

During Crossman’s stint with the Panthers from 2003-09, the team’s kicking and cover groups contributed to the team’s success which included three playoff appearances (2003, 2005 and 2008), two NFC South titles in 2003 and 2008. The Panthers also finished with at least eight wins in five of those seven years.

The Panthers ranked third in the NFL in 2008 with an opponent average drive start after kickoffs (24.7) and were one of three teams that did not allow an opponent to start a drive following a kickoff past the 50-yard line. Carolina posted a league-best 30 touchbacks, 33.7 touchback percentage and ninth with an opponent kickoff return average (21.9).

In his first year as a special teams coordinator in 2005, Crossman’s unit ranked among the best in the NFL. The Panthers finished ninth in the Dallas Morning News special teams ratings which were highlighted with a second place finish in punt coverage and seventh in kickoff coverage. Crossman helped guide P Jason Baker to set the franchise record in net punting average in both 2005 (38.9) and 2006 (39.0). In both years, Baker’s net punting average was first in the NFC and third in the NFL. From 2005-09, Baker ranked eighth in the NFL with a combined net punting average of 38.0.

Great work by Tim Graham here:

http://blogs.buffalo...yan-nassib.html

I couldn't possibly disagree more.

To think the Bills would pursue a college coach with a package deal in mind should be terrifying to fans. Pinning a franchise's dreams on any college player is shaky. To have identified somebody because your new head coach is familiar with him is flimsier.

Graham makes a huge leap here that the hiring of Marrone was a package deal with Nassib. But if indeed there was some kind of package deal, then it is because Marrone absolutely believes that Nassib is that talented. Grahams entire thought process in this blog entry just seems flawed to me.

I couldn't possibly disagree more.

Graham makes a huge leap here that the hiring of Marrone was a package deal with Nassib. But if indeed there was some kind of package deal, then it is because Marrone absolutely believes that Nassib is that talented. Grahams entire thought process in this blog entry just seems flawed to me.

DING. DING. DING.

Additional thoughts on the matter above

Here is another draft "expert" Josh Norris, Rotoworld's top analyst who is not part of the "consensus" and that is clearly another "outlier" who believes that Nassib will be the first Qb taken in this year's draft.

Hold on, it's all beginning to make sense now. I think 1billsfan is on to something. Rotoworld is owned by..... Wait for it......

NBC.

NBC is THE epitome of the mainstream media.

First it was the conservatives who were being unfairly targeted by the mainstream media, but now the mainstream media have set their sights elsewhere. No longer are they setting their goals so low to target only politics, but now sports as well, and Buffalo is now their main target. Yes, Buffalo. Buffalo = Conservatives. Now the mainstream media will do everything in their power, which is to get in the minds of Sports Illustrated, NFL Films, NFL GM's, ESPN employees and others to somehow give the illusion that Nassib should be selected by the Bills, so that they can trick the Bills into selecting Nassib, all in order to tear them down.

Don't mess with the mainstream media, or they'll come after your favorite football team too.

I don't get the personal attacks. We're just discussing opinions here and I've been backing my opinions up with links. I'm not trying to hurt anyones feelings or get anyone angry. This board should be above this stuff, really.

As for Josh Norris I've been following the guy on twitter since the combine. That Nassib #8 to Buffalo was a prediction not a player ranking (just read that on his twitter). In fact, he didn't include any QBs in his top 100 player ranking because it was so hard to predict in that format. Instead he did a separate ranking for QBs in which he had Nassib as the 5th best QB behind Wilson, Smith, Dyster and Glennon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42933/325/qb-rankings-top-15

So by that ranking you've got to figure he thinks Nassib is a late 2nd/3rd round prospect. I'm looking at player rankings, not predictions.

If Marrone is willing to bet his NFL career that Nassib is a franchise qb, then he goes at 8.

This has been my thinking all along. Marrone did a brief stint in the pros himself, coached at the professional level, was Drew Brees' OC on playoff teams, then coached Nassib for four years in college. If he knows enough to hitch his wagon to Nassib, then who are we to question his conviction?

If Marrone is willing to bet his NFL career that Nassib is a franchise qb, then he goes at 8.

Thats the great thing about the rookie cap. You dont have to invest that much money. No one has to "risk" their career.

If the QB doesnt work out then you can always draft another one.

CBF

I'd like a blue chipper too. HoweverI don't see a blue chipper in this draft. But, I do see a lot of solid players and I do see Nassib as good fit with the Bills and especially coaching staff.

DING. DING. DING.

Additional thoughts on the matter above

Yeah, it was a bad piece. The logic seems to be that since Marrone was at Syracuse, a Bills' pick of Nassib would be bad. Moreover, he uses some bizarre logic - the Bills would be hiring a QB instead of a coach (wtf??). That's nuts. What he doesn't address in the piece is whether Nassib is any good or not. That's because he doesn't know enough to hold forth on that issue. Which means he shouldn't be addressing the topic at all.

Edited by dave mcbride

Yeah, it was a bad piece. The logic seems to be that since Marrone was at Syracuse, a Bills' pick of Nassib would be bad. Moreover, he uses some bizarre logic - the Bills would be hiring a QB instead of a coach (wtf??). That's nuts. What he doesn't address in the piece is whether Nassib is any good or not. That's because he doesn't know enough to hold forth on that issue. Which means he shouldn't be addressing the topic at all.

I disagree. Marrone is a person from Syracuse that Brandon is involved with. He hired him and his OC, and who knows who else he will bring in from this not so great program?

Look at the number of posts in the Barkley thread and compare the numbers in the Nassib thread. Regional faves can sell tickets.

I think that TG's article makes sense.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I disagree. Marrone is a person from Syracuse that Brandon is involved with. He hired him and his OC, and who knows who else he will bring in from this not so great program?

Look at the number of posts in the Barkley thread and compare the numbers in the Nassib thread. Reigonal faves can sell tickets.

I think that TG's article makes sense.

I'm sorry, but I still think you're reaching with this argument. The number of posts in the Nassib thread is a function of the amount of speculation that the Bills will take him, which is all based upon the Marrone/Hackett connection.

Once again I tell you: winning sells tickets, and everyone, literally everyone, realizes it. The Bills' problem is not that they don't want to win, it's that, historically, they haven't gone about it the right way.