Active Player Coming Out of the Closet - are you okay with that?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not even gonna read the responses and just hope no one is ignorant enough to say they would have a problem with it. Statistics say that a percentage of the members on this board will have an issue with it, but I don't want to see it and get into some heated battle with a bigot idiot still living in the stone ages.

I for one hope he does come out...he won't be the only one in the NFL who is gay, let alone the rest of sports. It's ridiculous that its even a topic of discussion still in this day and age, but it is. I have a gay friend who has been the victim of two nasty hate crimes, one of which put him in a coma at one point, since he has lived in LA. So, who ever the first is will have to be ready to face a lot of controversy, hate, and adversity. It always sucks to be the first, but someone has to.

I think it becoming forefront in sports will go a long way in further creating acceptance, although some people's ignorance will never go away.

In all seriousness if I was gay and a fringe NFL player I would want to be the 1st one out. It probably buys you a couple of seasons in the league and potentially the opportunity to earn quite a bit of money both during and after your career (book deals, speaking engagements, etc...) With the average NFL career only being around 3 years it would be a wise business decision. The fact that it is a story is sad but the smart man will capitalize on it.

I see where you're going with the post career stuff, but how does it buy you more time in the league? Are you saying a team would want to pick him up/keep him just for the publicity?

This is a great thread, actually. Makes me proud to be part of this community.

......and I'll say it because nobody else will. You don't have to shower with em after a game. Using this great game to promote a lifestyle, and a political "football". You go ahead and get brain-washed by the media. I wont, and never will.

Disgusting.

Here's what's on my mind about it (shut up jboyst, haha). What if the said player comes out and then gets cut in preseason cuts or worse doesn't get cut and should have? Or say the gay player gets cut 2 years into a 5 year deal like many many many NFL players do? It's going to cause a storm that no one will be able to contain. No one ever talks about how negative it can be to make such an announcement.

I am not even gonna read the responses and just hope no one is ignorant enough to say they would have a problem with it. Statistics say that a percentage of the members on this board will have an issue with it, but I don't want to see it and get into some heated battle with a bigot idiot still living in the stone ages.

I for one hope he does come out...he won't be the only one in the NFL who is gay, let alone the rest of sports. It's ridiculous that its even a topic of discussion still in this day and age, but it is. I have a gay friend who has been the victim of two nasty hate crimes, one of which put him in a coma at one point, since he has lived in LA. So, who ever the first is will have to be ready to face a lot of controversy, hate, and adversity. It always sucks to be the first, but someone has to.

I think it becoming forefront in sports will go a long way in further creating acceptance, although some people's ignorance will never go away.

I'm not so sure I agree with you. I think that there may be some hate but by in large that person will be protected. In fact I think even more than the non gay players. Would you want to be the coach that is faced with having to cut the first gay player? Would you like to be the men that play the same position as the gay player, feeling like you'll get cut before they will? I do think there will be whispers and stuff like that, but there won't be an outrage. This person is going to be exalted.

......and I'll say it because nobody else will. You don't have to shower with em after a game. Using this great game to promote a lifestyle, and a political "football". You go ahead and get brain-washed by the media. I wont, and never will.

Disgusting.

With his previous uncontrolled erections, and constant attempts of shower rape, I assume teammates wont be surprised - amirite?

I would think that it is self-evident for that player to be extremely mentally tough, otherwise he simply would stay in the closet. The reason Branch Rickey chose Robinson was because he thought he would be the most mentally tough, there were more talented players he could have chosen and considered. It was a very wise move.

This, obviously, is nothing like what Jackie Robinson faced. But the guy will have to take an enormous amount of attention, interviews, ridicule, ribbing, some gay bashing, etc, and if wasn't 100% up to it, there is no way he would be the first.

I see why you say that but I don't really agree. Here's why:

In 2013 there is really no such thing any more as pressure from the public. Look at the parade of idiots in our society that become famous and end up having people look up to them. A gay NFL player should not have to fear public criticism, and although there will be some idiots mocking him, the vast majority of public sentiment will be positive. To me there should be no public sentiment at all....it should be a big so what. It should be like Derek Jeter announcing he prefers blonds to brunettes but really doesn't care much for redheads......who cares. We are not quite there yet.

Within the locker room the guy may indeed face pressure and have to be tough. My guess is that enough players on any given roster would push back against the few clowns bothering the gay guy that it might not be that bad but I could be wrong.

With regard to the public there is no way this guy has to even approach what Robinson put up with. I would go so far as to say he will be made into a hero by the media. When Robinson played it was acceptable for people to throw things at him and yell disgusting things at him from the crowd. In 2013, this won't happen to anywhere near the degree it happened to Jackie. That is a GOOD thing, don't get me wrong, but the fact is that it will make it easier for the guy to come out.

My guess is that a few times in the past some players have been "outed" in locker rooms when they wanted to stay in the closet. Some probably ended up off the team and some probably toughed it out and stayed on the team. I think those guys needed to be tough minded. This guy has nothing to apologize for, but for any negativity he encounters he will receive an equal amount of positive feedback.

But the guy will have to take an enormous amount of attention, interviews, ridicule, ribbing, some gay bashing, etc, and if wasn't 100% up to it, there is no way he would be the first.

I hope whoever it is handles it with class but there is no way to know what you said there is correct. It is totally plausible that it could be some idiot who knows he'll make money and really likes attention. I hope not, but it could be. With all this announcing that there will be an announcement though I have to admit it sounds planned out and that the individual might be more like your description.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I see where you're going with the post career stuff, but how does it buy you more time in the league? Are you saying a team would want to pick him up/keep him just for the publicity?

I think that there would be pressure to release a player that recently came out. They could face some serious backlash and accusations of discrimination. Obviously it only applies to fringe type players.

This is a great thread, actually. Makes me proud to be part of this community.

The only way it could be a locker room issue is if its a qb. Mix a gay QB with a homophobic center and you're going to cause all sorts of false starts.

Seriously time for society to move on...

Dammit, I was getting ready to make some kind of stupid crack about the QB-center exchange but you beat me to it.....