If Geno is available at #8, the Bills could trade back for huge gains

I know how people would like to get Geno but him being available could get us multiple picks this year, maybe even a first & second this year. I'd like to have the ability to pick up a few Corners or WRs, who's in ?

I'd rather have a qb than a corner and WR

And if he slides to 8 why do you think there will be a bounty for him if 8(including us) mostly qb needy teams pass on him

I know how people would like to get Geno but him being available could get us multiple picks this year, maybe even a first & second this year. I'd like to have the ability to pick up a few Corners or WRs, who's in ?

:sick:

The knock on Smith is when the first read isn't open he struggles with progressions. He's a great athlete, there is no questioning that, but being a great athlete doesn't equate to NFL success from a QB standpoint. Anyone who watched him at the combine today would also notice the inconsistency when throwing the deeper routes down field. So he is erratic with the deep ball and struggles after his initial read is gone, but it is wiped away because he can run a sub 4.6 forty time and throw a ball 10-15 yards farther than Fitz? No thanks.

The knock on Smith is when the first read isn't open he struggles with progressions. He's a great athlete, there is no questioning that, but being a great athlete doesn't equate to NFL success from a QB standpoint. Anyone who watched him at the combine today would also notice the inconsistency when throwing the deeper routes down field. So he is erratic with the deep ball and struggles after his initial read is gone, but it is wiped away because he can run a sub 4.6 forty time and throw a ball 10-15 yards farther than Fitz? No thanks.

It's interesting that a former NFL QB, and future Hall Of Famer, pretty much had the opposite opinion of Smith throwing the ball today...I'm not sure what your watching and evaluating with Smith, but you're not even close...And I've seen almost every pass he's thrown over the past 3 years...Did he struggle at times? Yes he certainly did...But you don't throw for 98 TD's to only 21 INT's, and complete 67.4% of your passes in major College Football by accident...Smith can do it all, and when he's right, he does it with ease...And I have no idea where this great athlete, but not a good QB idea comes from with Geno...Everyone and their Mother knows the kid went to great lengths to be a pocket passer first and foremost. He even frustrated his coaching staff by not taking off and running more...He is a great athlete...But he's a traditional pocket QB...

The real knock on Smith is his personality and demeanor when things are not going well...He has a tendency to hang his head a bit and get down on himself...That is the real concern NFL Teams have about him...He's a total gym rat and he loves football...He's humble and he wants to be the best...Does he need work? Of course he does...They all do...Even Andrew Luck needs work...But from a production, tools, smarts, and athletic ability standpoint Smith is more than worthy of #8 overall...Though I fully expect him to be gone by then...If not, and the Bills pass...I'll call it stupid just like most of the decisions they normally make on Draft day... B-)

It's interesting that a former NFL QB, and future Hall Of Famer, pretty much had the opposite opinion of Smith throwing the ball today...I'm not sure what your watching and evaluating with Smith, but you're not even close...And I've seen almost every pass he's thrown over the past 3 years...Did he struggle at times? Yes he certainly did...But you don't throw for 98 TD's to only 21 INT's, and complete 67.4% of your passes in major College Football by accident...Smith can do it all, and when he's right, he does it with ease...And I have no idea where this great athlete, but not a good QB idea comes from with Geno...Everyone and their Mother knows the kid went to great lengths to be a pocket passer first and foremost. He even frustrated his coaching staff by not taking off and running more...He is a great athlete...But he's a traditional pocket QB...

The real knock on Smith is his personality and demeanor when things are not going well...He has a tendency to hang his head a bit and get down on himself...That is the real concern NFL Teams have about him...He's a total gym rat and he loves football...He's humble and he wants to be the best...Does he need work? Of course he does...They all do...Even Andrew Luck needs work...But from a production, tools, smarts, and athletic ability standpoint Smith is more than worthy of #8 overall...Though I fully expect him to be gone by then...If not, and the Bills pass...I'll call it stupid just like most of the decisions they normally make on Draft day... B-)

Watched him in the drills at the combine today while on the treadmill at the gym. I know what I saw out of him today. None of the QB's looked good for that matter. Most starting caliber NFL QB's can throw 10 yard outs and 15 yard post patterns as he could, but the deeper passes were not that impressive. I also have seen in games during the losing streak and heard talent evaluators say that he struggles with his progressions. He also had some very dynamic playmakers around him on that team to aid his TD totals as well as the privilege of being a member of the Big East Conference. Brohm even put up good numbers in a Big East career when the comp was a little more stout. Not sure which future HOF QB you heard talking, but everyone is entitled to their opinion, right? I wouldn't touch him in the first round and I also don't expect him to be anything more than average in the NFL. We already have one Tavaris Jackson on the team.

If we could gain more picks including an additional 1st next year from a team that will start him, we'll be miles ahead from picking early from their pick. We could get lucky and they give us a top pick, including the one we we earn with a difficult season that will put us there. Imagine picking 1/2 next year, Johnny football being our first.

No thanks to Geno or any QB in this draft. The fact that he couldn't absorb a simple west coast play shown by Marriucci was VERY sad to see. He didn't get the verbage. Missed a block assignment from the guard, and missed a progression in the read. He BOMBED this test that RG3 nailed.

http://www.nfl.com/v...making-his-case

I mean this is a VERY simple play that i picked up in a heartbeat. I didn't get the verbage but it's a very easy play to diagram. He couldn't do either. His interview was SOOO scripted too.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

Every expert indicates there is no high first round value at QB but that, as in past years, QBs will go higher than they should. Does that mean we need to drink the Koolaid? We all know we need a QB but if there is no value there why buy high? In stark contrast, we know there is high first round value on D. Why not draft where you are getting value ... at D? I'm fine with taking a guy like Bray later (I'd love to go QB in the third) and developing him while drafting a D player who we know can play (and there will be one there for sure at 8). Where are all of the guys on this board who always vehemently objected to "reaching"? 'Cause that"s what we're doing by taking a QB at 8.

No thanks to Geno or any QB in this draft. The fact that he couldn't absorb a simple west coast play shown by Marriucci was VERY sad to see. He didn't get the verbage. Missed a block assignment from the guard, and missed a progression in the read. He BOMBED this test that RG3 nailed.

http://www.nfl.com/v...making-his-case

I mean this is a VERY simple play that i picked up in a heartbeat. I didn't get the verbage but it's a very easy play to diagram. He couldn't do either. His interview was SOOO scripted too.

Saw that too. I picked up that much faster than Geno. Doesn't mean he can't learn but i was surprised

If he is there at 8 and there are willing partners then trade down. Smith is a bottom of the first round talent. Too many holes at WR, LB, and possibly G - pending FA decisions obviously. If Levitre and Byrd are resigned, we add a WR and a LB in FA I would have no problem taking Smith at 8. If any of the above does not happen I would take Warmack over Smith, possibly Patterson over Smith, or trade back and get a WR and LB.

Saw that too. I picked up that much faster than Geno. Doesn't mean he can't learn but i was surprised

I'm sure he can learn but this was extremely disturbing. I saw RG3 do this last year and he could do this in his sleep. Geno missed EVERYTHING. Something an average Joe could pick up on but he couldn't? That is a major red flag if you ask me. Not impressed with Mr. Geno at all.

yeah only a 67.4% career completion rate and 98TDs to 21 INTs Geno Smith should be ashamed of himself being so erratic .

Every expert indicates there is no high first round value at QB but that, as in past years, QBs will go higher than they should. Does that mean we need to drink the Koolaid? We all know we need a QB but if there is no value there why buy high? In stark contrast, we know there is high first round value on D. Why not draft where you are getting value ... at D? I'm fine with taking a guy like Bray later (I'd love to go QB in the third) and developing him while drafting a D player who we know can play (and there will be one there for sure at 8). Where are all of the guys on this board who always vehemently objected to "reaching"? 'Cause that"s what we're doing by taking a QB at 8.

:thumbsup:

If he's still available at #8, DRAFT HIM! :wallbash:

If he is there at 8 and there are willing partners then trade down. Smith is a bottom of the first round talent. Too many holes at WR, LB, and possibly G - pending FA decisions obviously. If Levitre and Byrd are resigned, we add a WR and a LB in FA I would have no problem taking Smith at 8. If any of the above does not happen I would take Warmack over Smith, possibly Patterson over Smith, or trade back and get a WR and LB.

Oh, but you don't know our strategy .... let productive players walk (i.e., Nelson), so we can create more needs and make drafting much easier--we know exactly what we need: a WR, a LG, a FS, etc.. It's been working for years, why change now?

Nothing could be further from the truth. If any legit pro scout is putting this idea out there it is classic pre-draft chicanery.

Anyone who would base their opinion of ANY QBs ability to throw the ball on a few scripted attempts at the combine when there is a whole library of college film to evaluate, coaches to consult, and scouts to compare notes with, just doesn't know how to evaluate talent.

What matters most for Geno Smith at the combine is to impress teams during the interview process. If by any chance he's there at 8, and I highly doubt he will be, the Bills would be crazy to pass him up.

GO BILLS!!!

The Cards will take him at 7 if he lasts that long. I will bet $$ on it. Arians runs a deep ball offense and Geno can make the throws Arians wants. The Barkely talk coming out of AZ is pure smokescreen. No way Geno Smith makes it to 8 (and if he does, and the Bills pass on him, I'm going looking for Buddy, personally).

Just getting around to watching the combine now. I was kind of worried about Geno's inconsistency in the past but man this guy is impressive! He has all of the tools and he really stood out. if this guy is there at 8 it's a no brainer but I doubt he falls past the first few picks.

Another observation is Nassib looks small compared to some of the other guys. I always thought he was bigger. He reminds me a lot of Jake Locker but maybe not quite as athletic. I don't think he is worth the #8 pick

The point I think people are saying with passing on Smith at 8 is that, there really isn't much of a drop-off from him to the Bray's of the world. If he's there at 8 and some team wants to give us another second we'd be fools not to take that deal. Not that I care much what the experts are saying on Smith and the rest of the QB crop, but what they are saying isn't good, and that should make you at least a bit worried. Lets face it, the MISTAKE if anything would be the Bills reaching this year. Go with sure talent at WR/LB, and draft a QB as a project, Manuel, Nassib, Bray, any of these guys will be there 2nd maybe 3rd round. Don't drink the Kool Aid, and to be honest I don't think Marrone and Nix are, so lets hope.

Tim-

reality says if someone wants Geno they would trade ahead of us