Flacco wanted teammates to tackle Ginn Jr on final return

Rubes

Overheard on the sidelines, Joe Flacco told teammates standing with him that they should tackle Ted Ginn Jr if he broke it and was heading for a final TD to win it.

If that happened, what would the refs be able to do, right? Interesting thing is, the refs could actually award a score to the 49ers. I never knew that. The rule:

Palpably Unfair Act. A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score.

Could you imagine this actually happening? The media firestorm would be crazy.

Here's the NFL Films video showing Flacco saying these things. It occurs around the 4:00 mark. I can't quite tell if he's kidding around, but it doesn't seem like it.

Edited by Rubes

I can't watch the video but I don't see the issue. Flacco told team mates to tackle the 49er with the ball if he was breaking it for a TD. Isn't that football?

Hahaha, yeah assuming the tackler is one of the guys on who's legally on the field when the play begins!

Flacco was telling guys on the sideline to basically run out and take matters into his own hands...

I can't watch the video but I don't see the issue. Flacco told team mates to tackle the 49er with the ball if he was breaking it for a TD. Isn't that football?

Hahaha, yeah assuming the tackler is one of the guys on who's legally on the field when the play begins!

Flacco was telling guys on the sideline to basically run out and take matters into his own hands...

Ah-ha! This thread was fairly confusing until I got this far down.

Edited by DrDareustein

If Ginn had a clear path to the endzone and a Ravens player came off the sidelines and tackled him, I'd have no problem with the 49'ers being awarded a TD.

Sure, but what if he only had one man to beat? In that case, the odds are fairly even that the guy is either going to get past him or get tackled. Imagine the ref getting put into that position, where he gets to decide who wins the Super Bowl based on his determination if the guy would have scored or not...

Sure, but what if he only had one man to beat? In that case, the odds are fairly even that the guy is either going to get past him or get tackled. Imagine the ref getting put into that position, where he gets to decide who wins the Super Bowl based on his determination if the guy would have scored or not...

Scary thought.

I'm assuming Flacco meant if he were running free with no one in his way. Not that it's likely anyone could come off the sideline and get to him fast enough anyway.

I'm assuming Flacco meant if he were running free with no one in his way.

Sure, but who knows if any of his teammates understood what he meant? Or even if they could see the one man left to beat and just thought he was running free? Some of these guys aren't too bright.

That would have been the highlight of the game for me. Also, imagine instead of getting tackled, Ginn, surprised at being hit "out of nowhere" fumbles the ball when getting hit and it is recovered by the Ravens. They have to award the TD in that situation, but it would have made for some great theater.

The scenario I think of is one which is a grey area.

Imagine Ginn running free.

The Ravens know that if they come off the sidelines to tackle him that he'll be awarded a TD.

However, what if a Ravens player lunges at him but never makes contact and Ginn instinctively swerves to avoid him?

In this hypothetical let's then say that Ginn swerving allows the Ravens pursuing him to catch up and tackle him.

What's the ruling then?

The Ravens know that if they come off the sidelines to tackle him that he'll be awarded a TD.

However, what if a Ravens player lunges at him but never makes contact and Ginn instinctively swerves to avoid him?

In this hypothetical let's then say that Ginn swerving allows the Ravens pursuing him to catch up and tackle him.

What's the ruling then?

Yeah, I still think it qualifies as a "Palpably Unfair Act", and if the ref believes it had a significant impact on the outcome of the play, he would have the authority to award whatever he sees fit.

I think a grayer area would be if Ginn wasn't absolutely "running free" -- that is, that maybe there were one or two Ravens who might make the tackle, but just as easily might not. Say, for instance, that Ginn only has the kicker (or in this case, punter) left to beat for the TD, and someone jumps off the sidelines to tackle him? Does the ref believe the punter was really going to make the tackle to save the Super Bowl win?

What's the ruling then?

Yeah, I still think it qualifies as a "Palpably Unfair Act", and if the ref believes it had a significant impact on the outcome of the play, he would have the authority to award whatever he sees fit.

I think a grayer area would be if Ginn wasn't absolutely "running free" -- that is, that maybe there were one or two Ravens who might make the tackle, but just as easily might not. Say, for instance, that Ginn only has the kicker (or in this case, punter) left to beat for the TD, and someone jumps off the sidelines to tackle him? Does the ref believe the punter was really going to make the tackle to save the Super Bowl win?

That's a nice hypothetical too.

That would have been the highlight of the game for me. Also, imagine instead of getting tackled, Ginn, surprised at being hit "out of nowhere" fumbles the ball when getting hit and it is recovered by the Ravens. They have to award the TD in that situation, but it would have made for some great theater.

Or how about if the refs didn't award the TD but just a 15 yard penalty, giving the Niners one more play to kick the FG and send the game to OT.

If we're into hypotheticals, how about this one. I was watching a game in the last couple years where the fancy mobile ESPN camera that runs along a guide wire directly over the field came crashing down and almost hit a player - - I'm a little hazy on the details, but I think it was a college game. Involving one of the Iowa teams, maybe? Fortunately no one got hurt, and it crashed between plays so it merely delayed the game for a while while they carted off the debris.

What if that happens during the last play of a close Super Bowl where the outcome of the final play pre-crash isn't clear, and play is directly affected?