Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

I never understood why more teams didn't take their nicknames form US military units... So much possibility and imagery, it is limitless. How cool would the Carolina Marines be? Or, the San Diego Navy Seals... Kick azz and take no prisoners!

Oh I think there'd be a greater uproar over that. That are probably a lot more vocal pacifists in this country than red skinned people.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's even sadder is that no one has offered even a shred of evidence that the name bothers a significant portion of American Indians.

Yet there is plenty of evidence that the PC crowd isn't just limiting their attacks to supposed racist names as you suggest. If that were the case, why have they previously gone after the Univ of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, among others? Where's the racism in that name?

Actually, there have been several surveys over the years showing 10-30% of native Americans find it offensive. The 10% survey was administered recently by the Redskins (or whoever Snyder hired).

How much is enough to take their offense seriously?

You see, the whole opposition to this PC movement has a lot to do with stopping the draining all of the uniqueness out of our society like a vampire drains blood, until we become mindless pale robots who have to please everyone who has a gripe or offense. Just because some have given in to pressure does not make it right- in fact, I am willing to state that the reason they did it was because they didn't have the intestinal fortitude to withstand this pressure by a small few- they would rather cave in than do the right thing and stand up. That's not something that should be a trend, but should be stopped dead cold in its tracks before further damage is done.

For every revolution there is a counterrevolution, and now the inroads this PC pogrom have made will be reversed as inevitably human beings will state enough is enough and not be broken by those who whittle away at our uniqueness. We're a melting pot, not a pot to be melted down.

Like I said, boorishness prevails. :thumbsup:

Actually, there have been several surveys over the years showing 10-30% of native Americans find it offensive. The 10% survey was administered recently by the Redskins (or whoever Snyder hired).

How much is enough to take their offense seriously?

What do you mean by "taking seriously"? If that's a euphamism for "force a private enterprise to change their organization name and logo that has been in use for decades and is worth millions of dollars to them" than I'd say a lot higher than getting 10% of people to answer 'yes' to a survey question.

What's even sadder is that no one has offered even a shred of evidence that the name bothers a significant portion of American Indians.

Yet there is plenty of evidence that the PC crowd isn't just limiting their attacks to supposed racist names as you suggest. If that were the case, why have they previously gone after the Univ of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, among others? Where's the racism in that name?

Sorry, but Natives are actually fighting the NCAA to KEEP THE NAME of the Fighting Sioux, because they take pride in the name and it was the NCAA that forced the name change.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/120307-Fighting%20Sioux/north-dakota-fighting-sioux-nickname-logo-center-dispute-state-ncaa-tribes

Sorry, but Natives are actually fighting the NCAA to KEEP THE NAME of the Fighting Sioux, because they take pride in the name and it was the NCAA that forced the name change.

http://espn.go.com/e...ate-ncaa-tribes

Exactly! This is why it is all about control and how their image is portrayed. If any team uses another's image, let the group being represented control the use/how their image is portrayed. I betcha, without that control, oh Danny boy sings a new tune in a heartbeat.

"Redskins": A Native's Guide To Debating An Inglorious Word

I think everyone should read this, no matter your opinion on the subject. It's written by a Native American, and I think it provides a pretty fair analysis of the debate. Even if you disagree, it's at least some good food for thought.

[/size]

Fair enough... Very fair enough... It is really up to the groups that are being used and what they want. I have always said this. Of course I will go to bat for the ones that are offended. IMO, that takes priority.

The un-American element keeps moving the goal posts. Since when is cash not worth anything in America? When one is un-American, cash ain't nothing but trash:

"...Among high-profile media members who have come out against the nickname this week: NBC's Bob Costas and Cris Collinsworth and conservative Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer.

Oneida representative Ray Halbritter says in the ad that "Native Americans ... want to be treated as what we all are: Americans."

Halbritter was not happy with CBS' decision to not air the ads.

"It is unfortunate and un-American that the station permits the team to slander Native Americans on the public airwaves with the use of the r-word, but doesn't permit Native Americans to use the same airwaves to object to the use of a racial slur," he told The Post..."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9846892/washington-dc-radio-stations-hold-washington-redskins-protest-ad

It's a tough one. I get that they want to secure a unique name...something that high schools and colleges (who used to have Indian names) haven't already used. But still, all i can picture when i hear this is Mel Gibson running around 13th century England with a huge sword.

I think it ought to be changed. I heard a Native American leader explain it this way: If you came to my house to visit and I introduced you to my grandchildren, would you say "oh, what a bunch of cute little redskins"? I get that most people don't mean to use it in a derogatory manner but I don't think you can get around the fact that its a problematic nickname. Besides, I think its a great marketing opportunity for a franchise that could use a make-over. I think the "Washington Special Prosecutors" has a nice ring to it or maybe the "Lobbyists". Beltway Bandits? The Washington Monuments? The Washington IRS Auditors (talk about an intimidating nickname!).