Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct question is actually "Why are so few people fighting so hard to change a sports NICKNAME?"

Nothing better to do, I guess.

Because the name is offensive. Maybe it isn't important to you because it doesn't affect you. I would think being considerate of others an important lesson in life even if it is for a few in a group. The name does not honor anyone. The name ridicules. Explain to me how the name honors and portrays an honest description of Natives?

NoSaint hit the nail on the head... It is time to change. It isn't good business to keep the name. Why is it so important for you to hurt people? Even if it is one person? I just don't get off on that like you do LA. You know why? It is because I am considerate of other's wishes... Again, even if it is for only a few in the group.

Just change the logo...

star-snacks-peanuts-redskin-140425.jpg0002900007906_500X500.jpgbig-88.jpg257778_1.jpg

I got no problem w/the name then... Just scrub all images of Natives from the team and use a peanut for its logo and mascot. Just like the Cincy Reds being the Red Legs. It encompassed everybody who has legs. Actually, isn't it a baseball w/red legs?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

humor. Why so serious?

That was humor?? I'm sorry I missed it.

Because the name is offensive. Maybe it isn't important to you because it doesn't affect you. I would think being considerate of others an important lesson in life even if it is for a few in a group. The name does not honor anyone. The name ridicules. Explain to me how the name honors and portrays an honest description of Natives?

NoSaint hit the nail on the head... It is time to change. It isn't good business to keep the name. Why is it so important for you to hurt people? Even if it is one person? I just don't get off on that like you do LA. You know why? It is because I am considerate of other's wishes... Again, even if it is for only a few in the group.

So if a name hurt/offended just one person that would be good enough for you to change it? :rolleyes:

And you're considerate of other's wishes? That is absolute bull **** and as hypocritical as anything I've ever heard. :w00t:

The name isn't even originally Washington's, they started as the Boston Braves, then switched to Redskins when they moved to Fenway Park to mimic the Red Sox name.

My college changed from Warriors to Golden Eagles, who cares, I still root for them. The Bills could change to Bisons, Stampede, or Chicken Wings, who cares, I'd still allow myself to be disappointed by them. If you can avoid offending an ethnic group, then why not, the benefit outways the inconveinence. Just another example of some white people complaining that "those people" are trying to take "our country" away from us.

Edited by PastaJoe

The name isn't even originally Washington's, they started as the Boston Braves, then switched to Redskins when they moved to Fenway Park to mimic the Red Sox name.

My college changed from Warriors to Golden Eagles, who cares, I still root for them. The Bills could change to Bisons, Stampede, or Chicken Wings, who cares, I'd still allow myself to be disappointed by them. If you can avoid offending an ethnic group, then why not, the benefit outways the inconveinence. Just another example of some white people complaining that "those people" are trying to take "our country" away from us.

You know I never looked at it that way. That's exactly what this is. :wallbash:

Sorry to be the one to hurt your feelings, Nancy, but on the list of things that "hurt people" in this world, the name "Redskins" is down there between "Not liking a Facebook post" and "Not getting a thank you card from your Aunt Sadie."

You're welcome to worry about the 12 people who care about the name of a football team and the rest of us will worry about three-year-olds getting shot in the face in the Chicago ghettos because of the gangs running the streets.

People pick their priorities. Don't piss on mine and I'll stop mocking yours.

i mean, 10% by that study seem to have an issue. and it seems the people that have protested, and taken it to court have an issue with it.

i dont think they should be forced to change it, but i guess my bar is a bit lower with regards to "why not just go ahead and change it." im not sure where it lies for me, but i think im roughly to the point that if it were my call id say just do it.

what standard would you use if it was you making the call?

Nice to see at least someone here is willing to be mature and reasonable enough to think that a private business has the right to not be forced by mob mentality to change it's name and logo that've been in place for decades. And that's really the issue here. I couldn't give a rat's ass what they call the Redskins but the reason I've participated in this thread is that I abhor people who think they have the right to force the world to bend around their newfound sensitivities at every turn. As I suggested above, I'm quite sure we could find someone who is offended by every sports team nickname in existance. Where does this nonsense end?

As to your question about where to draw the line, it's a good one and I see two ways to answer it. If we're assuming I'm the owner of the Redskins? I don't know. I don't understand the value of their brand or the business model well enough to make that decision. However, at this point the 'movement' seems like little more the usual (white) crusaders who have nothing else to fill the hours and a handful of sports reports looking for a LAMP moment, and thus I'm comfortable letting the person who actually does own that business make that decision himself. If we're assuming I'm Susie Sorority of the Moral Majority? Well, the bar is going to be a hell of a lot higher than 10% of people responding to an outbound survey. The fact is, no here has come within miles of providing any evidence that American Indians as a group consider the nickname offensive, and the only evidence suggested by anyone in this thread suggested the direct opposite. So let's revisit this issue when we have 20,000 American Indians (white people don't count EII) organizing a protest in the Redskins' parking lot. Then people might have a reasonable claim that this is 'offensive' to the group.

Yes.

But this argument is not even close.

No.

Common sense.

Just change the name and move on.

Why are people fighting so hard to keep a sports team's NICKNAME. A silly team, nicknames should be changed like underwear. All teams. Can BFLO get new names! Think of the marketing potential! New logos, colors...

Why are people fighting to hard to CHANGE a sports team's NICKNAME??? That's the question all of us ask that are bothered by this PC steamroller, and the only answer is "because it is offensive". Guess what? a LOT of things offend me, but I don't impede upon others' rights just for my opinion, and if someone wants to name their team the Redskins and hundreds of thousands still go see the games and buy the merchandise, then that's a statement- it says "WE DON'T CARE IF YOU ARE OFFENDED".

Looking @ it closely... The name is not a problem, it is the Native American imagery that they are portraying/associating with the name redskin. Just scrub all Native symbolism and it should be fine. Use a peanut as a logo etc... Why are they using a group of people's image? Do what the Cincy Reds (Red Legs) do... Use a cartoon character of a football man and give it red skin.

The same imagery should be questioned w/other teams:

Chiefs

Braves

Blackhawks

Indians (Chief Wahoo probably ranks neck and neck w/Washington)

I am not sure if the Illinois Fighting Illini have been sanctioned by members of that group... BUT they have very strict guidelines on how they can present the tribe. Washington should do the same. If they want to use the name, scrub the images. If they want the images, scrub the name and change it to something more respectful.

Restore honor and respect to the images and the name. Washington, of all cities, has never down this. The term redskin disparges a whole race.

On a side note... Look @ the backlash I guy like Mickey Rooney got 30 years after the fact for doing "yellow face" in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's.

It is not about being PC. Times change, names change when they are of questionable nature when power structures and barriers are broken down. Get over it, abide by the change and move on.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Nice to see at least someone here is willing to be mature and reasonable enough to think that a private business has the right to not be forced by mob mentality to change it's name and logo that've been in place for decades. And that's really the issue here. I couldn't give a rat's ass what they call the Redskins but the reason I've participated in this thread is that I abhor people who think they have the right to force the world to bend around their newfound sensitivities at every turn. As I suggested above, I'm quite sure we could find someone who is offended by every sports team nickname in existance. Where does this nonsense end?

As to your question about where to draw the line, it's a good one and I see two ways to answer it. If we're assuming I'm the owner of the Redskins? I don't know. I don't understand the value of their brand or the business model well enough to make that decision. However, at this point the 'movement' seems like little more the usual (white) crusaders who have nothing else to fill the hours and a handful of sports reports looking for a LAMP moment, and thus I'm comfortable letting the person who actually does own that business make that decision himself. If we're assuming I'm Susie Sorority of the Moral Majority? Well, the bar is going to be a hell of a lot higher than 10% of people responding to an outbound survey. The fact is, no here has come within miles of providing any evidence that American Indians as a group consider the nickname offensive, and the only evidence suggested by anyone in this thread suggested the direct opposite. So let's revisit this issue when we have 20,000 American Indians (white people don't count EII) organizing a protest in the Redskins' parking lot. Then people might have a reasonable claim that this is 'offensive' to the group.

Fair enough, and agreed that we don't know enough financially to make a business decision... It just baffles me how poorly they have handled the whole thing. It's hard to believe they aren't causing as much damage in their poorly run defense as if they just bit the bullet and made a plan to change. I hate to make a generalization like this but its the nfl - they could sell out the stadium, have a highly rated 60 minute prime time special and sell 10m in jerseys the first night with a renaming event. Instead they are parading fake Indian chiefs, and quotes from high school PTA members from the Columbus high redskins and declaring no one will EVER cause them to consider a change. It just seems very sloppy from their end. I think all that rolls into my "quit embarassing yourselves and just do it already" attitude, in addition to the obvious discussions about racial sensitivities (which I won't hash out here, as there are already 5,000 posts on that)

Edited by NoSaint

Fair enough, and agreed that we don't know enough financially to make a business decision... It just baffles me how poorly they have handled the whole thing. It's hard to believe they aren't causing as much damage in their poorly run defense as if they just bit the bullet and made a plan to change. I hate to make a generalization like this but its the nfl - they could sell out the stadium, have a highly rated 60 minute prime time special and sell 10m in jerseys the first night with a renaming event. Instead they are parading fake Indian chiefs, and quotes from high school PTA members from the Columbus high redskins and declaring no one will EVER cause them to consider a change. It just seems very sloppy from their end. I think all that rolls into my "quit embarassing yourselves and just do it already" attitude, in addition to the obvious discussions about racial sensitivities (which I won't hash out here, as there are already 5,000 posts on that)

I know the OP didn't want us to reply to others... And I have been guilty of breaking that stipulation. But, you are spot on... That is what baffles me. They are digging their heel in.

DeadHorse.jpg

I don't think his post was intended to sway you as much as chronicling a national football story that is an ongoing part of the season. We have major reporters refusing to call a team by their name - whether or not you care or agree, that seems to warrant one thread as a clearinghouse for updates, articles and discussion on a football message board. Is it terribly hard not to click?

Edited by NoSaint

I don't think his post was intended to sway you as much as chronicling a national football story that is an ongoing part of the season. We have major reporters refusing to call a team by their name - whether or not you care or agree, that seems to warrant one thread as a clearinghouse for updates, articles and discussion on a football message board. Is it terribly hard not to click?

I was referring to SI and ESPN constantly trying to make this a story... it is getting quite pathetic. :P

I was referring to SI and ESPN constantly trying to make this a story... it is getting quite pathetic. :P

Touché - 26 has gotten beat up a few times for updating and quite a few have complained about the thread. Shouldn't have assumed you were doing the same