Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

After some debate in a previous thread about the Skins changing their name, I'm curious: What do the majority of TSW posters think?

Just one rule, as with "sentiment" polls in the future: Please do not respond to others' posts. Just vote, and offer your on-topic opinion if you want to.

There are many other threads where we can poke sticks in each others' eyes...

*Mods: I thought about putting this in PPP, but as this is an NFL policy issue, not a political one, I opted for here. Hope you agree.

**For the second question, you can select more than one.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notre Dame should change their name immediately as it is offensive to all us drunken Irish. (not attacking your post just saying I hate PC BS)

True Irish are proud of our drunkeness! :beer:

p.s. the "another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone" option captures my feelings perfectly.

After some debate in a previous thread about the Skins changing their names, I'm curious: What do the majority of TSW posters think?

Just one rule, as with "sentiment" polls in the future: Please do not respond to others' posts. Just vote, and offer your on-topic opinion if you want to.

There are many other threads where we can poke sticks in each others' eyes...

*Mods: I thought about putting this in PPP, but as this is an NFL policy issue, not a political one, I opted for here. Hope you agree.

**For the second question, you can select more than one.

If this is a "senitment" thread shouldn't the tag be "sentiment" instead of "Redskins Name"?

If this poll were aimed at the specific group that is denigrated by the term, there would stand to be an interesting result. It's safe to assume, however, that the majority of respondents do not fit that criteria based on general population figures.

It's like asking fans from all 32 teams for their favorite NFL player and being surprised that a Buffalo Bill is not ranked #1.

So, what's the point?

If this poll were aimed at the specific group that is denigrated by the term, there would stand to be an interesting result. It's safe to assume, however, that the majority of respondents do not fit that criteria based on general population figures.

It's like asking fans from all 32 teams for their favorite NFL player and being surprised that a Buffalo Bill is not ranked #1.

So, what's the point?

Were you not just whining about others trying to 'derail' the discussion in the other thread? Obviously the only discussion you are interested in is one where everyone kowtows to your opinion. :rolleyes:

If this is a "senitment" thread shouldn't the tag be "sentiment" instead of "Redskins Name"?

Hey--just a poll. The sentiment threads will be crucial Bills events only. Hopefully when we search for sentiment, or what ever the term will be, only a few posts will pop up rather than 100s.

So, what's the point?

Not to be sarcastic, but simply because I'm interested in the majority viewpoint here.

No illusions here that I'm Zogby.

Did I just break my own rule by responding to someone? :bag:

Doesnt bother me that much, but then again I'm not Native American, so what does my opinion matter? It doesnt.

If Irish people dont have a problem with the Fightin' Irish, or the Celtics, fine. But this isn't a team name like the Warriors, or Seminoles. this is like calling the team the Micks. It's the difference between naming a team the Ninjas versus the Chinamen. So if Native Americans have a problem with it, and want it changed, I understand.

I wont be surprised to have an overwhelming poll result of "Not a problem" and "PC-manufactured" given our main membership demographics.

Were you not just whining about others trying to 'derail' the discussion in the other thread? Obviously the only discussion you are interested in is one where everyone kowtows to your opinion. :rolleyes:

Everyone knows the score when it comes to your opinions. You are a hard line ideologue.

I'm not "whining" or derailing anything. I don't see the point of a poll, but I'm not calling for it to be closed.

A racial epithet is a racial epithet, which isn't arguable. Most don't think of it as such because the name has gained a 2nd more innocuous association over time, which is also not arguable.

Carry on with your crusade.

Not to be sarcastic, but simply because I'm interested in the majority viewpoint here.

I understand it in general I just don't think the result will go very far in determine whether its right or wrong to continue using the name.

Everyone knows the score when it comes to your opinions. You are a hard line ideologue.

I'm not "whining" or derailing anything. I don't see the point of a poll, but I'm not calling for it to be closed.

A racial epithet is a racial epithet, which isn't arguable. Most don't think of it as such because the name has gained a 2nd more innocuous association over time, which is also not arguable.

Carry on with your crusade.

My crusade? :lol:

No one has called for any threads to be shut down but that hasn't stopped you from whining about being 'shouted down' twice in the other thread. And now you have a problem with someone starting a poll? Yeah, carry on is right....

Bro, you have not yet figured out the majority viewpoint on this board for most things political/racial? :blink:

Edited by DrDareustein

My crusade? :lol:

Yes, you are well known as a hard line politically ideological crusader.

I've been consistent: the point I'm making is that in merely acknowledging it is a derogatory term, we are not welcoming an Orwellian police state to determine all future thought and/or public opinion. That was clearly being peddled by some in the other thread.

Please do not respond to others' posts for debate purposes.

This is a poll, not a debate. Here's one lively thread for pokin sticks.

Sorry.

It's a private organization. I don't know if they get public money ala a stadium, if so that can change things. There are rules that govern that stuff.

As for the sentiment part, it all depends on how people interpret it. Why would a team intentionally name themselves a derogatory phrase? It wouldn't sell. But they're portraying a fierceness, warrior mentality right? I may take pride in that like I know some Irish guys who took pride in ND. Would it matter if they chose a tribal name like Seminole?

Would anyone here be offended if a team was the "Darkies" or "ebonies"? What about "Massai", a warrior people in Africa?

"redbeards"? Berserkers? a Scottish warrior.

"topknots"? Samurai?

Which are offensive, and which aren't? Where's the line?

This is just another result of the road our nation is taking, we have turned into a nation of lazy a** whiners that would rather sit & concentrate on things that we can complain about rather than doing something constructive !!

"Redskins" comes from the cowboys skinning Natives and using some of their skin as bridles or chaffs. These were trophys. The common profile of a Native which looks similar to Redskin's logo was placed in post office windows when they had received money from the Federal goverment to pay for scalps.

Since this was a government sponsored genocide I have no idea how someone could say it wasn't at least "insensitive." Especially for a team which represents our NATION'S CAPITAL!

I wonder how many soccer teams in Berlin are called the "Lampshades?"

How about the the Boston "Micks" or the NY "Ginnys" or the Alabama "Sambos?" Afterall, they should be "Honored."

No I'm not Native-American, I'm just not wiiling to be disrespectfull to my fellow man. Especially for something as silly as sports. It's all good...cleveland+indians+cartoon.gif

431571383_5f39483d40_m.jpg431571292_a55e82554b_m.jpg

"Redskins" comes from the cowboys skinning Natives and using some of their skin as bridles or chaffs. These were trophys. The common profile of a Native which looks similar to Redskin's logo was placed in post office windows when they had received money from the Federal goverment to pay for scalps.

Since this was a government sponsored genocide I have no idea how someone could say it wasn't at least "insensitive." Especially for a team which represents our NATION'S CAPITAL!

How about the the Boston "Micks" or the NY "Ginnys" or the Alabama "Sambos?" Afterall, they should be "Honored."

No I'm not Native-American, I'm just not wiiling to be disrespectfull to my fellow man. Especially for something as silly as sports. It's all good...cleveland+indians+cartoon.gif

+1000

I know I not supposed to reply to other posters' posts, but this one does a better job of articulating my views than I have time to type.

I can't believe people don't see how offensive this is, or if they do see, don't care. They should just pick a different name.

Yes, I'm part native american (but don't identify myself as such), but I'd be offended if any group was singled out like this.

Not supposed to reply but I will anyway. That whole "skinning Indians" thing is an urban legend with no historical evidence. It's much more likely that the term came from Natives themselves as a way of distinguishing themselves from whites, or at the very least as slang based around skin color. And the Redskins took their name in honor of their head coach from the 1930's, who was part Indian.

Edited by Buff_bills4ever

Not supposed to reply but I will anyway. That whole "skinning Indians" thing is an urban legend with no historical evidence. It's much more likely that the term came from Natives themselves as a way of distinguishing themselves from whites, or at the very least as slang based around skin color. And the Redskins took their name in honor of their head coach from the 1930's, who was part Indian.

Sorry, didn't know about the posting rule.

Urban legends are for things like "alligators in sewers." One of the most honored books and most honored films is called "500 Nations." It's in there if anyone is looking for a source. There are many. Not sure if they knew any better in the 1930s. We should.

Edited by dogman

as long as the Bills change their names to the Buffalo Jive Turkey Cracker Honkies then I see no problem.

but yes it is offensive to refer to an American Indian as a Redskin

As a jive turkey cracker honkey not only would I not cry like a kitty and protest, I would cheer for that team....and buy their jersey.

Coming primarily from an ethnic background rarely honored in American culture - Polish - it's difficult for me to understand why some Native American groups would prefer to erase all references to their fighting prowess and warrior heritage. Maybe "Redskins" is not the most honorable reference, but I have to say that if they ever named a pro sports team the Pollacks, I would proudly root for them.

That said, if Native Americans universally find the name offensive, far be it from me to tell them how they should feel.

I could swear as a nation we have so many more probing issues than if the "Redskins" name is offensive. I'm so sick of everything having to be so politically correct and proper. As a country we need to stop focusing on lame issues like this one.