Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Redskins" comes from the cowboys skinning Natives and using some of their skin as bridles or chaffs. These were trophys. The common profile of a Native which looks similar to Redskin's logo was placed in post office windows when they had received money from the Federal goverment to pay for scalps.

Since this was a government sponsored genocide I have no idea how someone could say it wasn't at least "insensitive." Especially for a team which represents our NATION'S CAPITAL!

I wonder how many soccer teams in Berlin are called the "Lampshades?"

How about the the Boston "Micks" or the NY "Ginnys" or the Alabama "Sambos?" Afterall, they should be "Honored."

No I'm not Native-American, I'm just not wiiling to be disrespectfull to my fellow man. Especially for something as silly as sports. It's all good...cleveland+indians+cartoon.gif

431571383_5f39483d40_m.jpg431571292_a55e82554b_m.jpg

"Redskins" comes from the cowboys skinning Natives and using some of their skin as bridles or chaffs. These were trophys. The common profile of a Native which looks similar to Redskin's logo was placed in post office windows when they had received money from the Federal goverment to pay for scalps.

Since this was a government sponsored genocide I have no idea how someone could say it wasn't at least "insensitive." Especially for a team which represents our NATION'S CAPITAL!

How about the the Boston "Micks" or the NY "Ginnys" or the Alabama "Sambos?" Afterall, they should be "Honored."

No I'm not Native-American, I'm just not wiiling to be disrespectfull to my fellow man. Especially for something as silly as sports. It's all good...cleveland+indians+cartoon.gif

+1000

I know I not supposed to reply to other posters' posts, but this one does a better job of articulating my views than I have time to type.

I can't believe people don't see how offensive this is, or if they do see, don't care. They should just pick a different name.

Yes, I'm part native american (but don't identify myself as such), but I'd be offended if any group was singled out like this.

Not supposed to reply but I will anyway. That whole "skinning Indians" thing is an urban legend with no historical evidence. It's much more likely that the term came from Natives themselves as a way of distinguishing themselves from whites, or at the very least as slang based around skin color. And the Redskins took their name in honor of their head coach from the 1930's, who was part Indian.

Edited by Buff_bills4ever

Not supposed to reply but I will anyway. That whole "skinning Indians" thing is an urban legend with no historical evidence. It's much more likely that the term came from Natives themselves as a way of distinguishing themselves from whites, or at the very least as slang based around skin color. And the Redskins took their name in honor of their head coach from the 1930's, who was part Indian.

Sorry, didn't know about the posting rule.

Urban legends are for things like "alligators in sewers." One of the most honored books and most honored films is called "500 Nations." It's in there if anyone is looking for a source. There are many. Not sure if they knew any better in the 1930s. We should.

Edited by dogman

as long as the Bills change their names to the Buffalo Jive Turkey Cracker Honkies then I see no problem.

but yes it is offensive to refer to an American Indian as a Redskin

As a jive turkey cracker honkey not only would I not cry like a kitty and protest, I would cheer for that team....and buy their jersey.

Coming primarily from an ethnic background rarely honored in American culture - Polish - it's difficult for me to understand why some Native American groups would prefer to erase all references to their fighting prowess and warrior heritage. Maybe "Redskins" is not the most honorable reference, but I have to say that if they ever named a pro sports team the Pollacks, I would proudly root for them.

That said, if Native Americans universally find the name offensive, far be it from me to tell them how they should feel.

I could swear as a nation we have so many more probing issues than if the "Redskins" name is offensive. I'm so sick of everything having to be so politically correct and proper. As a country we need to stop focusing on lame issues like this one.