Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

Wow! That is amazing. Although in a way I understand. Forrest was one of the confederacy's best generals. Some historians view him as a genius tactician in how he used his cavalry. Just out of curiosity, what is that high school's mascot?

I've also heard that there are statues of Jefferson Davis in some areas of the south.

the rebels. They have Yosemite Sam, in a confederate uniform.

Never seen a Davis statue. The funny thing about the school, it was built after segregation ended. Some believe it was named that way to keep it a white school.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The furthest south I've been in this country was when I went to Dallas to see the Bills play the Cowboys. Aside from that I have never ventured into any of the other southern states, which is something I would love to do.

If you ever make it to Atlanta, let me know!

Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.

- John Wooden

OK, semi-funny story:

A guy walks into a bar with two Catholic priests. In this case the guy happens to be me.

So yes, I'm sitting in a bar watching MNF with a couple priests several years ago and this discussion comes up. We were sitting very close to a big screen TV that was turned up loud for a Stillers game so we really had to go full throat to hear each other. At one point I made the comment "So you think it would be OK if they called them the Washington Nlggers?" Naturally just as I arrive at the impact word of this rhetorical question the game goes to commercial and naturally when it does there's a nice fat chunk of dead air in the transition. And naturally this chunk of dead air happens to perfectly coincide with me sitting in a bar hollering the word "nlgger" at two Catholic priests. :doh:

If you ever make it to Atlanta, let me know!

Definitely. Likewise if you come to California and visit the Bay Area.

As for the topic of this thread. I can understand the reasoning in changing the name of the Redskins. Since the word is a slang and demeaning name.

I actually find the Redskins logo to be one of the better logos in the NFL, and far less offensive than the Cleveland Indians logo.

What I find most interesting is how many teams/universities have changed their mascot over the years, and others have not.

For example, those that have changed:

Stanford Indians to Cardinal

Syracuse Orangemen to Orange

Miami(Ohio) Redskins to Red Hawks

Saint John's Red Men to Red Storm

Eastern Michigan Hurons to Eagles

Arkansas State Indians to Red Wolves

William & Mary Indians to Tribe

Those who have stayed the same:

Atlanta Braves

Cleveland Indians

Florida State Seminoles

Kansas City Chiefs

North Dakota Fighting Sioux

Whatever the case, if the Redskins did change the name would they just change it to a more "respectful" Native American name or would they change the name completely?

If they do change the name hopefully it is not as bad as the Bullets changing to the Wizards.

If they do change the name hopefully it is not as bad as the Bullets changing to the Wizards.

I'm not a Jay Leno fan, but that reminds me of this gem:

"You know, the Washington Bullets recently decided to change their team name out of concerns the current name is associated with violence. So, from now on they'll simply be known as the Bullets."

Funny you mention Vikings as they actually landed in North America hundreds of years before it was "discovered", yet they didnt see the need to kill all the native inhabitants...

The other difference is, these teams are named after groups that did the wronging and it was to a non-specific group of people. The Redskins are using a derogatory term which refers to an oppressed and systematically slaughtered group.

I also get a big kick out of anyone voting "I value tradition in this debate". Which traditions? The traditions that Native Americans enjoyed for hundreds of years before being killed off? Or the New America tradition of killing Indians? Are you seriously telling me that something as silly as a team name from another city is more important to you than either of those?

+1

Anyway... It is so easy to change a nickname... Heck, early on teams had multiple nicknames. The word NICKNAME says it all... It is just a nickname. The are the football team from Washington. Gotta go back and look how this whole nickname thing got started in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/n...scots-symposium

WASHINGTON -- Hurtful names and racial stereotypes of all types were discussed and dissected Thursday in a daylong symposium at the Smithsonian, and the Washington Redskins were at the top of the list for nearly all those who spoke.

"I can only imagine what it would be like to be at a football game at FedEx Field in a crowd of close to 90,000, all screaming at the top of their lungs, when what they are screaming is a racial slur," said Judith Bartnoff, a deputy presiding judge in District of Columbia Superior Court.

By the time the day was over, they had a convert.

Edited by Beerball

Does anyone know of any American Indian polls or surveys that have asked these questions? Would be interesting to know what they feel. I understand the lobbyists, and cultural groups don't like it, but what about the common Native Americans themselves?

Ready for a Redskins Name Change?

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/ready-for-a-redskins-name-change/

“The NFL franchise assigned to Washington, D.C., has a name that is both racist and offensive. Most Americans have become desensitized to that fact. But it is a fact.”

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com

They should sit down with a Native American group and come up with a name that honors the spirit and culture of that group without being offensive. That way, they keep the tradition and display some sensitivity to the group they are trying to honor.

They should sit down with a Native American group and come up with a name that honors the spirit and culture of that group without being offensive. That way, they keep the tradition and display some sensitivity to the group they are trying to honor.

Why "a" Native American group? Since the nickname is a derogatory name for ALL Native Americans, they would have to sit down with members of every tribe. Anyway IMO, there has never been anything to do with "honoring" people when choosing a nickname. It is anything but to think it is a "honor" being associated with a silly sports team. Sports are purely a frivilous entertainment endeavor.

i used to spend a lot of time on the tuscaroran res here and knew a lot of indians and most of them couldnt care less about the redskins name. not to say they represent everybody, and i personally would prefer the name be changed, but i think over compensating political correctness also is a significant factor

I'm really offended by anything that relates to race, especially skin color, because it makes me think of slavery, and my TV tells me that all things dealing with race and ethnicity are really bad, so instead of applying rational thought I just connect the dots and accept that any mention of skin color is tantamount to an endorsement of slavery and the holocaust. Who needs a brain when you have a TV?

Ready for a Redskins Name Change?

http://fifthdown.blo...ns-name-change/

“The NFL franchise assigned to Washington, D.C., has a name that is both racist and offensive. Most Americans have become desensitized to that fact. But it is a fact.”

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com

I never realized Mike Florio was such a tremendous kitty.

i used to spend a lot of time on the tuscaroran res here and knew a lot of indians and most of them couldnt care less about the redskins name. not to say they represent everybody, and i personally would prefer the name be changed, but i think over compensating political correctness also is a significant factor

i think this arguement fails.....

there seems to be alot of black comedians and musicians who regularly use the "n" word......and yet it is still considered racist and offensive by many.

just because some members of a particular group are not offended by racist or stereotypical names, doesn't mean the ones who are offended, have no right to be....

i think this arguement fails.....

there seems to be alot of black comedians and musicians who regularly use the "n" word......and yet it is still considered racist and offensive by many.

just because some members of a particular group are not offended by racist or stereotypical names, doesn't mean the ones who are offended, have no right to be....

This whole post fails.

Trying to equate other racial "slurs" to "the N word" is a contrived attempt to convince simpletons to buy into a nonsensical argument they wouldn't otherwise buy...and they're probably still not. No other word is like "the n-word". what other word are you so afraid to say IN CONTEXT that you have to call it by its first letter because pussies will explode at the mere sound of the word?

You just need to accept the fact that you have no logical basis for your beliefs and your argument is nothing but emotional drivel, based entirely on unsubstantiated permises, that are loosely held together by false equivalencies. You should find something worthwhile to give a **** about.