Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

I think they should change but I didn't vote because of the dumb second question.

To have a team representing our Nation's capital named for a derogatory term for a group of people we took the country from and slaughtered is a little over the top in my view. Even if Native Americans (or whatever the proper term is) aren't offended by it. I don't see that as the whole point.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all the teams that could use an update, it would be the Redskins. They would make bank in jersey and memorabilia sales with a new logo/team name. Perhaps something that works in the Washington part of their team. Keep the same ketchup and mustard color theme because there are a lot of condiment spills at the games and that was just clever thinking on whoever thought of that.

I am a small percentage Native American and I think it is in very bad taste, sort of like making NA's celebrate Thanksgiving in public schools. Depending on the geography you use and how the long actual genocide was and if disease is a part of it ( which was spread intentionally like a biological weapon of mass destruction in some cases ). Estimates range from 5 million up to 100 million people wiped out (with the goal during a bunch of the history of this particular war of doing just that) on 2 continents Or in our own country, the fact the people were put into camps (which Hitler copied BTW) and the children were educated to basically ignore and forget their own culture. There are about a hundred other reasons why this is a really bad and insensitive name sake for a football team. Call me PC (say I am extreme), I don't effing care, I can think of names for you too.

I love when people who aren't that race complain about the world becoming to PC. I'm not a female so the word see you next tuesday doesn't bother me so why do chicks get mad about it? Honestly, the name Redskins is pretty racist. I doubt the Blackskins or Yellowskins would fly. But since I'm not Native, it shouldn't be my call. Get a bunch of NA leaders and let them decided whether they should kept it or not.

I love when people who aren't that race complain about the world becoming to PC. I'm not a female so the word see you next tuesday doesn't bother me so why do chicks get mad about it? Honestly, the name Redskins is pretty racist. I doubt the Blackskins or Yellowskins would fly. But since I'm not Native, it shouldn't be my call. Get a bunch of NA leaders and let them decided whether they should kept it or not.

There was an unsuccessful lawsuit that went all the way to the US Supreme Court. The legality of the team's nickname was upheld on a technicality IIRC. Make no mistake about it, the NA community absolutely detests the term.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

There was an unsuccessful lawsuit that went all the way to the US Supreme Court. The legality of the team's nickname was upheld on a technicality IIRC. Make no mistake about it, the NA community absolutely detests the term.

I don't blame them at all. On the other hand, the FSU Seminoles should be a great sense of pride.

It should be up to Native Americans. Much like in the NCAA, if the tribe were in favor of the name, the NCAA waived the name change (like the Seminoles tribe).

A good example of a franchise being progressive would be the Cleveland Indians. They are de-emphasizing the use of the grinning red Indian in favor of the "C" logo on their hats and merchandise.

I wouldn't object to the name being changed, but would not like to see a foolish change like what Syracuse did when they changed the name from "Orangemen" to simply, "Orange." Now they have an orange as a mascot - and as everyone knows, when you think oranges, you automatically think Central New York.'

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

On the one hand, I hate to mess with tradition.

On the other hand, the term is mildly offensive. I don't believe we should needlessly continue to offend anyone. The new nickname would eventually seem normal and inspire the same kind of passion that the current one does among team fans.

Also... The Blackhawks ( orginally Black Hawks) wasn't named after the famous Sauk Chief Black Hawk. From what I read it was taken from the original owner's WWI army division... The Blackhawk division. That is why the name went back to one word and not two??

I wouldn't object to the name being changed, but would not like to see a foolish change like what Syracuse did when they changed the name from "Orangemen" to simply, "Orange." Now they have an orange as a mascot - and as eberyone knows, when you think oranges, you automatically think Central New York.'

What is offensive about Oranemen? Sexist? Doesn't it have something to do with William of Orange and the Protestants? Is the school a Protestant school?

I think they should change but I didn't vote because of the dumb second question.

To have a team representing our Nation's capital named for a derogatory term for a group of people we took the country from and slaughtered is a little over the top in my view. Even if Native Americans (or whatever the proper term is) aren't offended by it. I don't see that as the whole point.

Pretty much my view.

It should be up to Native Americans. Much like in the NCAA, if the tribe were in favor of the name, the NCAA waived the name change (like the Seminoles tribe).

A good example of a franchise being progressive would be the Cleveland Indians. They are de-emphasizing the use of the grinning red Indian in favor of the "C" logo on their hats and merchandise.

His name is Chief Wahoo. LoL...

I am a small percentage Native American and I think it is in very bad taste, sort of like making NA's celebrate Thanksgiving in public schools. Depending on the geography you use and how the long actual genocide was and if disease is a part of it ( which was spread intentionally like a biological weapon of mass destruction in some cases ). Estimates range from 5 million up to 100 million people wiped out (with the goal during a bunch of the history of this particular war of doing just that) on 2 continents Or in our own country, the fact the people were put into camps (which Hitler copied BTW) and the children were educated to basically ignore and forget their own culture. There are about a hundred other reasons why this is a really bad and insensitive name sake for a football team. Call me PC (say I am extreme), I don't effing care, I can think of names for you too.

Way to step up!!!

Also... The Blackhawks ( orginally Black Hawks) wasn't named after the famous Sauk Chief Black Hawk. From what I read it was taken from the original owner's WWI army division... The Blackhawk division. That is why the name went back to one word and not two??

What is offensive about Oranemen? Sexist? Doesn't it have something to do with William of Orange and the Protestants? Is the school a Protestant school?

No. the name Orangemen refered to the Six Nations of the Iriquois Confederacy.

http://www.college-basketball-tickets.net/syracuse_orangemen/history.htm

Nicknamed Bill Orange, the original mascot, an Indian warrior, of the University got its name from Syracuse being the salt city and because Syracuse is the home of the Six Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy. Still located on the Quad, the statue of the Saltine Warrior, a gift of the class of 1951, was sculpted by Louise Harriet Meyers. The warrior stayed as the mascot until 1978 when American Indian students complained that the mascot was offensive. For a time, a Roman Gladiator served as the mascot and students even proposed the Abominable Orangeman, an orangutan and Egnaro the Troll as new mascots.

No. the name Orangemen refered to the Six Nations of the Iriquois Confederacy.

http://www.college-basketball-tickets.net/syracuse_orangemen/history.htm

Nicknamed Bill Orange, the original mascot, an Indian warrior, of the University got its name from Syracuse being the salt city and because Syracuse is the home of the Six Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy. Still located on the Quad, the statue of the Saltine Warrior, a gift of the class of 1951, was sculpted by Louise Harriet Meyers. The warrior stayed as the mascot until 1978 when American Indian students complained that the mascot was offensive. For a time, a Roman Gladiator served as the mascot and students even proposed the Abominable Orangeman, an orangutan and Egnaro the Troll as new mascots.

Wow... Thanks... I never looked it up... I was confused with the Native logo. Again, thanks!

Of all the things... this is what we care about. Sad sad country we live in...

i dont think anyones saying place this between national security and the economy on our list of priorities. just a simple "what do you think"

of all the things on this site that we are silly for discussing this one is middle of the pack at worst!