Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

I can't believe this stupid who cares thread went 42 pages. I don't care if they call them the Washington savages, and use a scalping as there logo. Let's take this international and get the Edmonton Eskimos.

Hopefully those who fight for justice will next turn their attention to forcing the Buffalo Bills to stop honoring a man who was guilty of perpetuating negative Native American sterotypes.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully those who fight for justice will next turn their attention to forcing the Buffalo Bills to stop honoring a man who was guilty of perpetuating negative Native American sterotypes.

Changing from Bills would be fine. Bisons, Stampede, or Wings would be more appropriate. I doubt most people under 30 even know who Buffalo Bill was other than a character in a Hannibal Lector movie.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind them changing it. Anyway, there is absolutely no link in logo anymore to Buffalo Bill Cody. For all we know, the Bills could be the team has lots of bills to pay! Show me any PRESENT team logo that uses Buffalo Bill as its mascot. Sure, it is implied to the past AAFC team... But where is the logo link to the modern team?

I don't have a problem w/redskin... Just put a peanut or Shanny on the helmet and scrub all native imagery... Just like the Bills did with Cody. Just like the Golden State basketball team did w/Warriors when they moved to Cali from Philly.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

DAMN! This thread is still alive? It just doesn't wanna go away...

Says the guy who posts in it to keep it alive. :lol:

Tick...Tick...Tick.

@MarkMaske

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder meets with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell about the team's name... http://wapo.st/1ac4qoR

Upstate Tribal Leader Turns Up The Heat In Redskins Rebranding Movement: http://newyork.cbslo...nding-movement/

@awfulannouncing

More outlets and more NFL writers are dropping the Redskins nickname http://bit.ly/HsQy3a

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 2 weeks later...

@CBSSports

Minneapolis' mayor urges the boycott of Redskins merchandise. http://cbsprt.co/MinneapolisRedskins …

On Tuesday, the D.C. Council passed a resolution asking the Redskins to change their name because the term is considered a racial slur to Native Americans. That same day, six members of the Minneapolis City Council voiced their disapproval of the name in a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and team owner Dan Snyder.

By Thursday morning, hours before the Redskins will face the Vikings in Thursday Night Football, Minneapolis mayor R.T. Ryback joined the discussion.

"It has never been right to disrespect the indigenous people of our country, and it is especially wrong to do it in 2013 with the name of a team that represents our nation's capital," Ryback wrote on his Tumblr (via Sports Bog).

"I stand with elected officials across the country, including members of the Minneapolis City Council, and many, many others who believe it is long past time to change the name of Washington's NFL team. It is deeply disappointing that calls for respect have not been heard, and I will join others in looking for ways to bring change, including urging those who agree to boycott merchandise of the Washington Football Franchise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

US Patent and Trademark Office deems 'Redskins' derogatory

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has gotten in on the Redskins name controversy. Specifically, the government agency has rejected a request from a company that wants to sell pork rinds called "Redskins Hog Rinds" because it considered the term "derogatory slang."

In a letter dated Dec. 29, the agency wrote: “Registration is refused because the applied-for mark REDSKINS HOG RINDS consists of or includes matter which may disparage or bring into contempt or disrepute persons, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols.”

More details via CBS Washington:

The same agency is deliberating whether to revoke the trademark protection for the NFL team, part of a long-running challenge from a group of Native Americans. A hearing was held in March, and a decision is expected soon.