Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It defines a group of 19th century warriors against their will? Crazy Horse must be furious.

Cross through the Seneca Nation reservation... They still define themselves as "warriors." So does that make them 21st Century warriors, even if they haven't fought in a long time?

Stop trivalizing other's history. It shows a lack of respect.

Now it is "trivializing history"? No, the only "trivializing" going on is this blatant PC movement to sanitize our country and the "lack of respect" is for the vast majority who won't be bullied by this PC bulldozer. Sorry, but Daniel Snyder and 60% say we just don't care how much you whine, cry, cajole, or pontificate.

Now it is "trivializing history"? No, the only "trivializing" going on is this blatant PC movement to sanitize our country and the "lack of respect" is for the vast majority who won't be bullied by this PC bulldozer. Sorry, but Daniel Snyder and 60% say we just don't care how much you whine, cry, cajole, or pontificate.

KD did trivalize their history by calling them 19th century warriors. The Seneca Nations still define themselves as warriors.

I find it highly ironic that you mention "lack of respect" in defense of a term that many consider a racial slur that disrespects, demeans, and trivializes Native Americans.

So, the majority of people, and Dan Snyder are ass-holes. Congrats!

The problem is, it defines a group against their will. It represents a group in a negative way. Why is this so hard to understand?

They can keep the name... Just scrub the Native connotations. Do what the Cincy Reds do? Do what the Golden State Warriors do.

I do not recall the Golden State Warriors ever having a Native American mascot, or alluding that the nickname Warriors meant Native American Warriors.

I do not recall the Golden State Warriors ever having a Native American mascot, or alluding that the nickname Warriors meant Native American Warriors.

They did when they were the Philadelphia Warriors. That logo was changed when the franchise moved to the Bay Area in 1962. I guess they were ahead of their time. ??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I find it highly ironic that you mention "lack of respect" in defense of a term that many consider a racial slur that disrespects, demeans, and trivializes Native Americans.

June 25/26, 1876

Lt Colonel George A. Custer's blatant "lack of respect" for the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho, resulted in the annihilation of 5 of his 7th Cavalry companies including Custer himself, his two brothers, a nephew, and a brother in law, during the Bloody Battle of the Little Big Horn, otherwise known as "Custers Last Stand" (268 US casualties)

June 25/26, 1876

Lt Colonel George A. Custer's blatant "lack of respect" for the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho, resulted in the annihilation of 5 of his 7th Cavalry companies including Custer himself, his two brothers, a nephew, and a brother in law, during the Bloody Battle of the Little Big Horn, otherwise known as "Custers Last Stand" (268 US casualties)

If you've ever researched Custer, he and his men deserved everything they got.

If you've ever researched Custer, he and his men deserved everything they got.

Read about the history of the Delawares and how the Iroquois stabbed them in the back repeatedly, because the idea that only "lack of respect" is majority on minority is total BS. The whole history of the French and Indian War is littered with these kinds of brutal attacks and swindles. It is human nature to take advantage of the weak when you are strong, no matter what your race is...

So, the majority of people, and Dan Snyder are ass-holes. Congrats!

No, I'd say the small number of people stirring the pot trying in a futile effort to change the Redskins name are ass-holes.

Edited by BmoreBills

No, I'd say the small number of people stirring the pot trying in a futile effort to change the Redskins name are ass-holes.

Of course you would say that...the majority is always right...you are in the majority, so I guess you are right. Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge that a group of people are offended by something, that doesn't offend you, have the right to be offended? Why is their offense at something like this so distasteful to you? Because you have to think about something other than yourself from time to time?

This whole issue is hardly new, you guys are acting like it is some sudden liberal media cause... this issue has come up every couple of years, for as long as I can remember (far back as the early 70's)...some teams changed their names and logos years ago, some, like the Redskins, did not. Now, the vocal minority have more means and ways to get their message out there. So, they will continue to rail on it.

Makes perfect sense, "I am not offended, so anyone who is offended is just being a baby, or, worse, a PC kitty". Honestly, the name doesn't offend me personally, but the attitude that some of you take is a lot more offensive. Perhaps political correctness has become so hard for some to deal with, that the move toward boorishness is all the rage. Can't help but feel something in the middle is obtainable.

Edited by Buftex

Of course you would say that...the majority is always right...you are in the majority, so I guess you are right. Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge that a group of people are offended by something, that doesn't offend you, have the right to be offended? Why is their offense at something like this so distasteful to you? Because you have to think about something other than yourself from time to time?

This whole issue is hardly new, you guys are acting like it is some sudden liberal media cause... this issue has come up every couple of years, for as long as I can remember (far back as the early 70's)...some teams changed their names and logos years ago, some, like the Redskins, did not. Now, the vocal minority have more means and ways to get their message out there. So, they will continue to rail on it.

Makes perfect sense, "I am not offended, so anyone who is offended is just being a baby, or, worse, a PC kitty". Honestly, the name doesn't offend me personally, but the attitude that some of you take is a lot more offensive. Perhaps political correctness has become so hard for some to deal with, that the move toward boorishness is all the rage. Can't help but feel something in the middle is obtainable.

You see, the whole opposition to this PC movement has a lot to do with stopping the draining all of the uniqueness out of our society like a vampire drains blood, until we become mindless pale robots who have to please everyone who has a gripe or offense. Just because some have given in to pressure does not make it right- in fact, I am willing to state that the reason they did it was because they didn't have the intestinal fortitude to withstand this pressure by a small few- they would rather cave in than do the right thing and stand up. That's not something that should be a trend, but should be stopped dead cold in its tracks before further damage is done.

For every revolution there is a counterrevolution, and now the inroads this PC pogrom have made will be reversed as inevitably human beings will state enough is enough and not be broken by those who whittle away at our uniqueness. We're a melting pot, not a pot to be melted down.

Edited by BmoreBills

Cross through the Seneca Nation reservation... They still define themselves as "warriors." So does that make them 21st Century warriors, even if they haven't fought in a long time?

How exacxtly am I trivializing anyone's history? Nice bullsh-- strawman there. The Redskins logo quite obviously refers to warriors who actually, you know, fought wars.

So once again, when are we going to address the 'trivializing' of decendants of the Vikings?

What's sad about all of this is that it's solely the name Native Americans have a problem with. They can keep the logo, colors, etc so why doesn't Snyder just sit down with Native American leaders and choose another name that would "honor" natives like he claims the "Redskins" name does?

Washington Warriors, Washington Red Feathers, etc.

For all of you crying this is PC B.S. I would like you to go up to a group of native peoples and call them Redskins to their faces. If you can't bring yourself to do it, then you know why this name is offensive. PC Liberalness has gone overboard at times (for example, the Bullets changing names to Wizards) but this is not one of those situations.

What's sad about all of this is that it's solely the name Native Americans have a problem with. They can keep the logo, colors, etc so why doesn't Snyder just sit down with Native American leaders and choose another name that would "honor" natives like he claims the "Redskins" name does?

Washington Warriors, Washington Red Feathers, etc.

For all of you crying this is PC B.S. I would like you to go up to a group of native peoples and call them Redskins to their faces. If you can't bring yourself to do it, then you know why this name is offensive. PC Liberalness has gone overboard at times (for example, the Bullets changing names to Wizards) but this is not one of those situations.

What's even sadder is that no one has offered even a shred of evidence that the name bothers a significant portion of American Indians.

Yet there is plenty of evidence that the PC crowd isn't just limiting their attacks to supposed racist names as you suggest. If that were the case, why have they previously gone after the Univ of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, among others? Where's the racism in that name?