Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

I went to Cheektowaga Central - The Warriors and the logo is an Indian Warrior. One PC idiot got their panties in a bunch. So the school board contacted the local tribe (forgot which of the Iroquois Confederacy was in Cheektowaga). They stated they had much more important things to worry about and were just fine with the Warriors. Our school colors were the same as the Redskins.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think someone should go back through the thread and tally up all the "my friend who is 1/8 native american and likes it" "my third cousin twice removed read a story about a native american that hates it" and give us a running total on what america REALLY thinks.

i nominate microscopes.

I went to Cheektowaga Central - The Warriors and the logo is an Indian Warrior. One PC idiot got their panties in a bunch. So the school board contacted the local tribe (forgot which of the Iroquois Confederacy was in Cheektowaga). They stated they had much more important things to worry about and were just fine with the Warriors. Our school colors were the same as the Redskins.

That's usually how it goes... a few people who have nothing better to do than to stir up trouble go after the meaningless issues and shoot past all of the socioeconomic issues as if they were unimportant.

The funny part about this? If the Redskins actually did it, the exact same group of whiners would be front and center about how the new logo is exclusionary to blacks and others and therefore racist by white people rather than racist toward white people.

I find mine more appropriate to the argument than Pete's. Then BS on what you replied. No way they find Napolean Dynamite exlusionary to blacks and others. Who wants to be that nerd? Now, maybe Pete's "Ward Cleaver" is a bit more endearing.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

i think someone should go back through the thread and tally up all the "my friend who is 1/8 native american and likes it" "my third cousin twice removed read a story about a native american that hates it" and give us a running total on what america REALLY thinks.

i nominate microscopes.

This ^

What's so hard about stopping when a woman says no, stop? What so hard about changing a name when a group says it is hurtful? Who's in control here? 3rd cousin, twice removed Vinny who is 1/8 Navajo?

Booger Dawson.

Thanks for the correction. Is he like Chief Wahoo?

This ^

What's so hard about stopping when a woman says no, stop? What so hard about changing a name when a group says it is hurtful? Who's in control here? 3rd cousin, twice removed Vinny who is 1/8 Navajo?

Ummm, did you just say the Redskins are raping fans for not changing the name? That's a BIT extreme... no one is getting assaulted here...! *facepalm*

Thanks for the correction. Is he like Chief Wahoo?

He's WAY funnier, though!!!

Edited by BmoreBills

I went to West Seneca West... We were the Indians. They still are... Lady's teams were the: Lady Injuns. Now they are the: Lady Indians.

Injun is the same, if not worse derogatory term as "redskin."

Warriors and Indians are not. Even though, Native American Indian is more descript.

Ummm, did you just say the Redskins are raping fans for not changing the name? That's a BIT extreme... no one is getting assaulted here...! *facepalm*

He's WAY funnier, though!!!

Nope... You read way too much into it! Just pointing out that people should listen when they are told by somebody to do stop doing something.

I went to West Seneca West... We were the Indians. They still are... Lady's teams were the: Lady Injuns. Now they are the: Lady Indians.

Injun is the same, if not worse derogatory term as "redskin."

Warriors and Indians are not. Even though, Native American Indian is more descript.

Nope... You read way too much into it! Just pointing out that people should listen when they tell somebody to do stop doing something tney don't like.

REALLY? Will that be the case in 5, 10 years? Can you be sure they are not offensive? How do you know they are not offensive?

If you want to go down the road, then it will end up there. Just watch.

REALLY? Will that be the case in 5, 10 years? Can you be sure they are not offensive? How do you know they are not offensive?

If you want to go down the road, then it will end up there. Just watch.

Wow... You are fast on the draw, even before my edit... LoL...

Anyway... That is up to the group. If they don't like and say to stop... Then stop.

What so hard about changing a name when a group says it is hurtful?

When exactly did American Indians as a group say it was hurtful? I only saw one person in this entire thread link to a valid study of the issue and that study indicated 90% of AIs didn't have any issue with it. But then we got back to the real issue at hand: pasty-faced white boys and sportswriters telling us they are 'outraged' so they can pat themselves on the back for being enlightened.

When exactly did American Indians as a group say it was hurtful? I only saw one person in this entire thread link to a valid study of the issue and that study indicated 90% of AIs didn't have any issue with it. But then we got back to the real issue at hand: pasty-faced white boys and sportswriters telling us they are 'outraged' so they can pat themselves on the back for being enlightened.

I would say they always have... They just have the power to change it now and press the issue.

What has always got me is they are the Washington team... If this isn't a bigger slap in the face than say a team from Tacoma (which city is a Native name). Of all the places that effed over the NA's... Washington! Oh my...

So you're ok if they change the name to Landover Redskins?

I would say they always have... They just have the power to change it now and press the issue.

Based on what evidence?

So when animal rights groups demand Ralph stop honoring a man who slaughtered animals by the thousands, you'll be ok with changing the Bills' name too?

Yes.

But this argument is not even close.

So you're ok if they change the name to Landover Redskins?

Based on what evidence?

No.

Common sense.

Just change the name and move on.

Why are people fighting so hard to keep a sports team's NICKNAME. A silly team, nicknames should be changed like underwear. All teams. Can BFLO get new names! Think of the marketing potential! New logos, colors...

Yes.

Excellent; I vote for the Buffalo Asian Carp.

Help me out with some other new names we'll be needing, once the environmentalists demand the Jets change their name and the National Association of Dwarfs demand the Giants change their name.

Common sense.

Just change the name and move on.

Yeah good point....except it's not. You don't have a clue what AI's may or may not think is offensive so your common sense is pretty worthless.

I guess you'll have to carry that white guilt around a little bit longer.

i mean, 10% by that study seem to have an issue. and it seems the people that have protested, and taken it to court have an issue with it.

i dont think they should be forced to change it, but i guess my bar is a bit lower with regards to "why not just go ahead and change it." im not sure where it lies for me, but i think im roughly to the point that if it were my call id say just do it.

what standard would you use if it was you making the call?

Excellent; I vote for the Buffalo Asian Carp.

Help me out with some other new names we'll be needing, once the environmentalists demand the Jets change their name and the National Association of Dwarfs demand the Giants change their name.

Yeah good point....except it's not. You don't have a clue what AI's may or may not think is offensive so your common sense is pretty worthless.

I guess you'll have to carry that white guilt around a little bit longer.

Great idea! The WKRP mascot would be great!