Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeahhhhh..... i'd stick w/ Redskins. Im just an "evil bigot" though.

I won't say you're an evil bigot but if you aren't a member of that group, you can't understand what it feels like. I've always been consist. Ask the majority of Native Americans and if they want to keep the name, then keep it. But there's a huge difference between honoring a tribe (Seminoles, Illini, etc.) or a name like Braves than a racial slur.

Of course, I will know be labelled a violator of the 1st amendment and too PC. :w00t:

He also bought the domain washingtonbravehearts.com....

http://www.networkso...bravehearts.com

The historical Braveheart killed Englishmen

The story of Braveheart is about standing up to a tyrannical and abusive King. Washington DC is home to a tyrannical and abusive central authority. To link Braveheart with modern DC tarnishes this Scottish story

As person of both Scottish and English descent, I am doubly offended by this name

The historical Braveheart killed Englishmen

The story of Braveheart is about standing up to a tyrannical and abusive King. Washington DC is home to a tyrannical and abusive central authority. To link Braveheart with modern DC tarnishes this Scottish story

As person of both Scottish and English descent, I am doubly offended by this name

I think they're discriminating against cowards.

Next up: getting the Jets to change their name to the Hot Air Balloons. Because, y'know...jets emit too many greenhouse gasses. Then get the Yankees to change their name to "Emancipators" ("Yankee" carries a connotation of oppression in the South; "Emancipators" is much more PC), the Kansas City Royals to the Kansas City Democratically Elected Representatives (because this is America, we don't do royalty here. Ditto the LA Kings), The Edmonton Oilers to the Edmonton Wind Farms (for obvious reasons.) And finally, the Miami Dolphins to the Miami Panty Liners....because !@#$ Miami, that's why.