Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

This whole post fails.

Trying to equate other racial "slurs" to "the N word" is a contrived attempt to convince simpletons to buy into a nonsensical argument they wouldn't otherwise buy...and they're probably still not. No other word is like "the n-word". what other word are you so afraid to say IN CONTEXT that you have to call it by its first letter because pussies will explode at the mere sound of the word?

You just need to accept the fact that you have no logical basis for your beliefs and your argument is nothing but emotional drivel, based entirely on unsubstantiated permises, that are loosely held together by false equivalencies. You should find something worthwhile to give a **** about.

just because in your mind the "n" word is the most offensive word out there, doesn't mean all other words are not as offensive or insulting.

The following is a list of ethnic slurs (ethnophaulisms) that are, or have been, used as insinuations or allegations about members of a given ethnicity or to refer to them in a derogatory (critical or disrespectful), pejorative (disapproving or contemptuous), or insulting manner in the English-speaking world. For the purposes of this list, an ethnic slur is a term designed insult others on the basis of race, ethnicity, or nationality. Each term is listed followed by its country or region of usage, a definition, and a reference to that term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL needs more racist team names, not fewer.

32 teams, and only 1 racist team name? In the general population, there are surely more than 1 racist for every 32 people.

So racists are actually UNDERrepresented by NFL team names right now.

What are we going to do about it? Probably nothing.

For those of you who think this is a manufactured concern: What percentage of native americans need to be offended in order for this to be a legitimate concern? I'm sure the number is at least 10%. One in 10 people is too many. It is just a sports team. Just change the name, I say.

just because in your mind the "n" word is the most offensive word out there, doesn't mean all other words are not as offensive or insulting.

The following is a list of ethnic slurs (ethnophaulisms) that are, or have been, used as insinuations or allegations about members of a given ethnicity or to refer to them in a derogatory (critical or disrespectful), pejorative (disapproving or contemptuous), or insulting manner in the English-speaking world. For the purposes of this list, an ethnic slur is a term designed insult others on the basis of race, ethnicity, or nationality. Each term is listed followed by its country or region of usage, a definition, and a reference to that term.

http://en.wikipedia....of_ethnic_slurs

yawn.

It's not a matter of what I find offensive, it's what society has deemed to be offensive. Personally I'm not that offended by any of it. The whole world has become this hypersensitive pussified place where everyone has lost any reasonable concept of why they're offended by racism in the first place. When Jamie Foxx spouts off on another one of his racist bits I yawn; I could care less what he has to say. I don't pay any mind to the "white man is the devil" crowd or the "white power" crowd. I find them slightly less annoying than the rest of the mindless drones who automatically accept whatever the TV tells them to.

The NFL needs more racist team names, not fewer.

32 teams, and only 1 racist team name? In the general population, there are surely more than 1 racist for every 32 people.

So racists are actually UNDERrepresented by NFL team names right now.

What are we going to do about it? Probably nothing.

Vikings is pretty racist. And let us not forget the Browns.

For those of you who think this is a manufactured concern: What percentage of native americans need to be offended in order for this to be a legitimate concern? I'm sure the number is at least 10%. One in 10 people is too many. It is just a sports team. Just change the name, I say.

I don't give a **** about the 10% who are begging for something to be offended by. So sick of everyone trying to jump on their victim train. Get over it people. Different people look differently, talk differently, and act differently. We don't have to be so !@#$ing sensitive about it. Get a grip.

yawn.

It's not a matter of what I find offensive, it's what society has deemed to be offensive. Personally I'm not that offended by any of it. The whole world has become this hypersensitive pussified place where everyone has lost any reasonable concept of why they're offended by racism in the first place. When Jamie Foxx spouts off on another one of his racist bits I yawn; I could care less what he has to say. I don't pay any mind to the "white man is the devil" crowd or the "white power" crowd. I find them slightly less annoying than the rest of the mindless drones who automatically accept whatever the TV tells them to.

Vikings is pretty racist. And let us not forget the Browns.

I don't give a **** about the 10% who are begging for something to be offended by. So sick of everyone trying to jump on their victim train. Get over it people. Different people look differently, talk differently, and act differently. We don't have to be so !@#$ing sensitive about it. Get a grip.

racism, bigotry, discrimination, hate crimes, insults ARE NOT FUNNY......

some words are just plain offensive.....try calling a woman in your life a word that starts with a "c" and ends in unt......and see how far that gets you.

certain words effect different people in different ways......

if your wife, mother, daughter, friend are offended by your use of that word.....chances are pretty good you'll stop using it.

the fact that many , if not all of these words have little to no effect on you.....doesn't mean that everyone else should share your view. you have every right to not be offended....and they have every right to be offended.

your lack of empathy is a form of BULLYING.......but you probably don't see that either.

Why "a" Native American group? Since the nickname is a derogatory name for ALL Native Americans, they would have to sit down with members of every tribe. Anyway IMO, there has never been anything to do with "honoring" people when choosing a nickname. It is anything but to think it is a "honor" being associated with a silly sports team. Sports are purely a frivilous entertainment endeavor.

The name Redskins is offensive to all native Americans. What I meant is a focus group made up of Native Americans from various regions. Work together and come up with a name that honors Native American culture. Disagree that team names are not meant to represent or "honor" a particular individual, region or group. I agree that sports is entertainment, but there is no reason that a team name can not represent a region, individual or group without being derogatory.

So because an institution has always had some kind of racist elements, people are begging to be offended by something that didn't originate with them? Is progress really such a problem? You're right that some people will always be offended or look for slights... I am not sure that is the same thing here.

There is taking offense, and there is just the general hurt of being reduced to a caricature or something less than the person you are. I have very little Native American blood (Great-Great Grandfather was Mohawk) so I don't really presume to speak for anyone, but the essence of white privilege is that in fact one doesn't have to worry about these things because the white world is the accepted norm. I guess my point is, since we can't presume to know what is going on in another person's head, maybe we can't see how much some of these things actually do hurt.

Personally, I like confronting these things head-on in humor and subversion, but I could see, for example, why a Louis CK bit might not fly with a different audience that isn't "in" on it. And I think to his credit he acknowledges that.

Also, I realize I am breaking the OP's protocol, but I didn't start it. :nana:

FWIW I think the whole Indians name and presentation is generally more offensive than that of the Redskins and probably needs to go first. That caricature is something of bygone era that we ought to put behind us.

So, in your opinion, is racism ever a problem? Is there even such a thing as institutional racism?

So someone whose ancestors were clearly discriminated against, stolen from, and/or killed should just get over it, stop being a kitty, sit down, shut up and just enjoy the game? (And oh yeah, "don't be so PC and join in the indian war chant!")

Edited by Matt in KC

I love the name - and am not sure how it's offensive and racially insensitive, as I don't see an overabundance of Native Amercian peoples in the DC/MD/VA region.

It would be "racially insensitive" if we called The Windy City's football team "The Chicago Polaks", or a team from the way-upper west side of Manhattan "The Harlem Jigaboos".

( Actually, I have no problem with either of those - Who sez we gotta be sensitive, anyway??? B-) )

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

I love the name - and am not sure how it's offensive and racially insensitive, as I don't see an overabundance of Native Amercian peoples in the DC/MD/VA region.

Huhhhwhat?

So if BYU changed their name to the Black Samboes and had a mascot in blackface, it wouldn't be offensive because black people don't live in Utah?

Has the whole world gone crazy?

It would be "racially insensitive" if we called The Windy City's football team "The Chicago Polaks", or a team from the way-upper west side of Manhattan "The Harlem Jigaboos".

( Actually, I have no problem with either of those - Who sez we gotta be sensitive, anyway??? B-) )

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Hee Haw!!! goes The Senator. :doh:

Huhhhwhat?

So if BYU changed their name to the Black Samboes and had a mascot in blackface, it wouldn't be offensive because black people don't live in Utah?

Has the whole world gone crazy?

Chicago Polaks, Arizona Wetbacks, New York Kykes ...I don't care if they dress their mascot as an orthodox Jew and their motto is, "You want we should score again?"

It's just sports. :beer:

Chicago Polaks, Arizona Wetbacks, New York Kykes ...I don't care if they dress their mascot as an orthodox Jew and their motto is, "You want we should score again?"

It's just sports. :beer:

Or like the Dallas Nubbers, and have some ridiculous, bumbling cripple falling out of his wheelchair all over the field?

So, in your opinion, is racism ever a problem? Is there even such a thing as institutional racism?

So someone whose ancestors were clearly discriminated against, stolen from, and/or killed should just get over it, stop being a kitty, sit down, shut up and just enjoy the game? (And oh yeah, "don't be so PC and join in the indian war chant!")

Sure, racism can be a problem. See Rwanda. The problem here is, people look to historical atrocities done on the basis of race or ethnicity and project the outrage they have toward that on simple everyday things that have little to no significance. When people are outraged over the audacity of having a white guy doing a Jamaican voice I think it's clear the anti-racism train has gone off the tracks. It's just a matter of perspective and our current culture has none.

Edit: Also as to this part:

So someone whose ancestors were clearly discriminated against, stolen from, and/or killed should just get over it, stop being a kitty, sit down, shut up and just enjoy the game?

You ever heard of viking raids? Should the people whose ancestors were brutalized by the Vikings just sit down and cheer for their glorified oppressors?

See how stupid it sounds?

Edited by Rob's House

Or like the Dallas Nubbers, and have some ridiculous, bumbling cripple falling out of his wheelchair all over the field?

Do you mean as in "boobs" -

Urban Dictionary - nubbers

or as in...

Urban Dictionary - nubbers

or simply in baseball terms -a ball that is barely struck by the bat and simply trickles away from the plate (basically, an unintentional bunt)??? :unsure:

(I can see where the ladies might be upset at a giant boob for a team mascot :beer: )

Edited by The Senator

Sure, racism can be a problem. See Rwanda. The problem here is, people look to historical atrocities done on the basis of race or ethnicity and project the outrage they have toward that on simple everyday things that have little to no significance. When people are outraged over the audacity of having a white guy doing a Jamaican voice I think it's clear the anti-racism train has gone off the tracks. It's just a matter of perspective and our current culture has none.

Perspective can mean different things to different people. There is also the perspective of walking a mile in another's shoes and seeing how he/she may not take a word or an idea so lightly. I am not talking about the VW ad (which was frankly just stupid), but larger markers in our culture.

The difference in belief is that simple, everyday things have significance, and we can adapt to both positive and negative messages. Obviously we're not in this realm, but you don't just get to genocide by one day declaring that the "others" are the bad guys. A negative stereotype becomes slowly ingrained in the culture to the point that it is not noticeable as disrespect at best, and threatening / intimidating in other situations. I understand how one could be unable to see it that way, but that's why we return to seeking more perspective, always.

It's just about being respectful. I can't say that I live it everyday, but perspective is absolutely what this is about. I think in general we are too easy to default to disrespect because it gets attention.

Perspective can mean different things to different people. There is also the perspective of walking a mile in another's shoes and seeing how he/she may not take a word or an idea so lightly. I am not talking about the VW ad (which was frankly just stupid), but larger markers in our culture.

The difference in belief is that simple, everyday things have significance, and we can adapt to both positive and negative messages. Obviously we're not in this realm, but you don't just get to genocide by one day declaring that the "others" are the bad guys. A negative stereotype becomes slowly ingrained in the culture to the point that it is not noticeable as disrespect at best, and threatening / intimidating in other situations. I understand how one could be unable to see it that way, but that's why we return to seeking more perspective, always.

It's just about being respectful. I can't say that I live it everyday, but perspective is absolutely what this is about. I think in general we are too easy to default to disrespect because it gets attention.

cry me a !@#$in river. And spare me the bull **** about how if we stop crying like a bunch of pansies everytime someone says something that might be vaguely construed as mildly offensive if looked at through a microscope and decoded, then it's going to lead to genocide. Somehow I think there's a happy medium.

And no, it's not about being respectful. You guys want to worry about people getting offended, let me tell you what offends me: people throwing around "respect" like it's something you're given rather than earned. I don't have any respect for people who unthinkingly follow the leader - and that's most people. Our default isn't disrespect; the default is political correctness. The default is status quo. The default is whatever the TV tells me to think and whatever values the TV says I should have. The default is to be too stupid and unaware to realize it.

Edited by Rob's House

cry me a !@#$in river. And spare me the bull **** about how if we stop crying like a bunch of pansies everytime someone says something that might be vaguely construed as mildly offensive if looked at through a microscope and decoded, then it's going to lead to genocide. Somehow I think there's a happy medium.

Well, I will spare you that, because that's not what I said. You sound the most offended of all here, so maybe I'll stop and just suggest some history books.

And no, it's not about being respectful. You guys want to worry about people getting offended, let me tell you what offends me: people throwing around "respect" like it's something you're given rather than earned.

You respect the fact that someone comes from a different place than you so you can each get past your own preconceptions and evaluate the person, as a person. How you each conduct yourselves thereafter in your personal interactions is another matter, and that is what determines whether the individual and his/her actions are worthy of respect. The stuff about following the leader is just pandering to a particular worldview of self-importance. True leaders listen.

My opinion on this matters very little as I'm not a Redskins fan and I'm not native American.

I feel kind of the same way I do about the abortion issue. It's not really any of my business. It's an issue centered around a woman's body and I'm a guy.

In my perfect world, the team voluntarily discusses changing the name with stake holders. It would be great if they voluntarily changed the name and much less great if they were coerced into changing the name.

But I'm not a part of that conversation.

My opinion on this matters very little as I'm not a Redskins fan and I'm not native American.

I feel kind of the same way I do about the abortion issue. It's not really any of my business. It's an issue centered around a woman's body and I'm a guy.

In my perfect world, the team voluntarily discusses changing the name with stake holders. It would be great if they voluntarily changed the name and much less great if they were coerced into changing the name.

But I'm not a part of that conversation.

How about "The Washington Nubbers" and the giant-boob mascot thing? :beer:

Well, I will spare you that, because that's not what I said. You sound the most offended of all here, so maybe I'll stop and just suggest some history books.

What would I learn from these books that would change my stance?

And I probably am more offended than anyone else because I'm the only person in this thread making a rational argument. The race crowd has cried wolf so many times that when I hear someone cry racism there is a strong presumption that the person making the claim is full of ****. And that's because during my lifetime the overwhelming majority of allegations of racism have either been overblown or outright bogus.

Edited by Rob's House

And I probably am more offended than anyone else because I'm the only person in this thread making a rational argument. The race crowd has cried wolf so many times that when I hear someone cry racism there is a strong presumption that the person making the claim is full of ****. And that's because during my lifetime the overwhelming majority of allegations of racism have either been overblown or outright bogus.

Just remember that you ain't no monument to justice.

You're gonna love this idiocy...

Just remember that you ain't no monument to justice.

But groveling at the feet of every person who cries 'racism' doesn't equal justice, even if the professional victims groups think it does.

The Hallmark video being just another in an endless string of examples.

Oh!!! now you're offended!!! Okay, as long as something's not personal to you...It's Okay. Gotcha.

I was kidding...I'm still not offended :nana:

You could call them the Metropolitan Malignant Malnourished Mexicans, for all I care!

(My wife is Mexican, and my kids are starving.)