Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

You response to me seemed to imply otherwise. I don't know why you would have responded in that way if there wasn't some disagreement with my question to EII.

There was no disagreement at all. I was simply pointing out the historical origin of the "Indian" moniker. You drew the wrong inference as that was not at all my implication. No worries.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redskins use high school athletic director to defend team name:

http://www.usatoday....23/?sf9469577=1

meh...

I grew up a proud Lancaster Redskin

(until I became a proud Canisius Crusader, then a proud Big Red somethin'-or-other)

Hail to the Redskins

Hail Vic-tor-y

Braves on the Warpath

Fight for old D.C.

Edited by The Senator

Statues?

Come to Stone Mountain, Georiga and see the largest monument to the Confederacy in the US! It's the Mount Rushmore of the South! (carved by the same guy)

stmpmh1.jpg

Until approximately 1972 this was the site of the KKK's annual meeting. I guess Atlanta decided it was time to join the modern world, or are black people just overly sensitive?

Until approximately 1972 this was the site of the KKK's annual meeting. I guess Atlanta decided it was time to join the modern world, or are black people just overly sensitive?

WTF are you even talking about? What does the KKK holding a meeting somewhere have to do with anything?

meh...

I grew up a proud Lancaster Redskin

(until I became a proud Canisius Crusader, then a proud Big Red somethin'-or-other)

Hail to the Redskins

Hail Vic-tor-y

Braves on the Warpath

Fight for old D.C.

I went to West Seneca West... They were the "Indians." "Fighting Injuns." "Lady Injuns." I believe they dropped the "Injun" moniker??

"Injun" is equally as offensive as "Redskin." What gives?

"We are in the wrong but don't want to fix it. We also don't want to put any of our names out there defending it."

Precisely!!! Pure cowardice of the part of the team. Stand up proudly and publicly affix your names to support your ignorant and plainly racist team name.

I think if Washington wants to be called the Redskins it is fine - they just need to change their logo to be Mr Potato Head. Now the problem will be changing the cheerleaders from current outfits to wearing potato sacks.

I agree. Redskins is not offensive if they do not link to a specific group of people. Take the Cincy Reds. Aren't they the Redlegs? Of course they used the nickname Redlegs during the 1950's and the whole "Red Scare" (Communism) phase. Take Syracuse and the Orangemen. IMO, they didn't have to get rid of the "men." Just the Native connotation. The Redskins can have a little football shape guy w/red skin as their logo. Washington can easily go by the name: "Reds." Heck, not to turn this political but, a lot of idiots out there are already thinking DC is turning Commie. What is the harm? Then on during National Breast Cancer Awareness month, we can call them them the Pinko Commie Reds(kins).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

No. the name Orangemen refered to the Six Nations of the Iriquois Confederacy.

http://www.college-b...men/history.htm

Nicknamed Bill Orange, the original mascot, an Indian warrior, of the University got its name from Syracuse being the salt city and because Syracuse is the home of the Six Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy. Still located on the Quad, the statue of the Saltine Warrior, a gift of the class of 1951, was sculpted by Louise Harriet Meyers. The warrior stayed as the mascot until 1978 when American Indian students complained that the mascot was offensive. For a time, a Roman Gladiator served as the mascot and students even proposed the Abominable Orangeman, an orangutan and Egnaro the Troll as new mascots.

It is named after William of Orange. The first line gives it away, "Nicknamed Bill Orange" as in William Orange. Dutch and German settlers the first whitey's in the area and they loved them some William of Orange.

It is named after William of Orange. The first line gives it away, "Nicknamed Bill Orange" as in William Orange. Dutch and German settlers the first whitey's in the area and they loved them some William of Orange.

That is what I always thought! But ChevyVanMiller set me straight a while back (your quote from them that you dug up).

Which is it? Native or not? They did have the Native logo. Now the logo is a little orange guy with a round head, right?

I went to West Seneca West... They were the "Indians." "Fighting Injuns." "Lady Injuns." I believe they dropped the "Injun" moniker??

"Injun" is equally as offensive as "Redskin." What gives?

Um, Exiled as a local coach in the area, I can tell you the West Seneca West is still the Indians. Their logo is either a big W or a W with an arrow going through it.

Lancaster is still the Redskins, Cheektowaga is still the Warriors, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead

1) It's the only reason I can't root for that team, despite having lived in DC for a long time.

2) It really, really offends some Cherokee friends of mine, and I can't blame 'em.

I don't know if I believe this. We've seen atleast 3 guys that know a guy that's Native American and all of them agree its a totally awesome name. All evidence points to your friends being offended as probably made up or a character defect on their part - right?

Um, Exiled as a local coach in the area, I can tell you the West Seneca West is still the Indians. Their logo is either a big W or a W with an arrow going through it.

Lancaster is still the Redskins, Cheektowaga is still the Warriors, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead

BUT, do they still use the term: Injuns?

Warriors and Indians is a bit different than Redskins and Injuns.