Bills hire Mike Pettine of the Jets as DC???

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please for the love of God NOT a 3/4 system. We need to design a defense based on the quality of players NOT fit them into a system, Jesus has no one learned anything?

Tim-

Stop being married to a scheme for christ sake. Every good defense in the NFL is versatile and for the record the Jets play a hybrid 3/4 4/6. Regardless of the base alignment of the defense we still need linebackers and depth anyway.

I'll add this about Pettine's involvement vs. Rex Ryan with the Raven's defense, etc.

Rex wasn't the Ravens DC original either - Marvin Lewis was - Rex inherited that Baltimore defense from him and brought it to the Jets.

Since then, one DC after another has been able to continue the tradtion and effectiveness of the scheme - due in no small part to guys like Ray Lewis, of course, but the point is, I don't assume it's all about Rex - even if he tries to tell everyone it is.

This could could turn Gilmore into as good a player as Revis.....

I wouldn't go that far but it would help our overall defense and instead of the sit back vanilla scheme we'd start dictating the play instead of hoping we make a stop

..., Jesus has no one learned anything?

Dear heaven, does noone here READ anything before they respond to it????

A 3-4 ACTUALLY NEEDS FEWER PURE LB's THAN A 4-3!!!

I wouldn't go that far but it would help our overall defense and instead of the sit back vanilla scheme we'd start dictating the play instead of hoping we make a stop

Well that is so true - every time we heard Wanny brag about how simple his scheme was we should have been worried. Simple schemes are not how you get Brady making mistakes.

Throw in a Jarvis Jones to rotate with Anderson and we'll really be dictating things. :beer:

Rotate with Anderson/Mario i meant. we'd have beasts on the outside every snap.

Dear heaven, does noone here READ anything before they respond to it????

A 3-4 ACTUALLY NEEDS FEWER PURE LB's THAN A 4-3!!!

Well that is so true - every time we heard Wanny brag about how simple his scheme was we should have been worried. Simple schemes are not how you get Brady making mistakes.

And...? Your point that we need fewer pure linebackers means what?

I'll wait to see who and what we're actually going to do before I deliver my opinions, but our defense is only missing a couple of spots to be good. Marrone needs to stop, watch film before jumping the gun on this, IMO.

Tim-

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/01/jets_deny_oakland_permission_t.html

One thing Rexy doesn't strike me as is vindictive. Still, with no GM in place (that's still true, isn't it) I wonder who approval will come from.

You are really wrong here. A year or so ago he denied Dennis Thruman, the secondary coach permision to interview with Raiders for Def coordinator permison...Rex is all about Rex........

per the WGR report his contract expires this season

And he refused an extension.

Isn't a great feeling to have the Bills HC looking to fill out his staff while the choices are plentiful compared to other years when the Bills were picking thru scraps.

But would he bring Aaron Maybin back with him?

Like many others have stated, worry less about scheme and focus on finding the best man for the job.

I highly doubt that Maybin was brought in because the Jets had no pass rusher, The Bills do there would be no need for maybin

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/01/jets_deny_oakland_permission_t.html

You are really wrong here. A year or so ago he denied Dennis Thruman, the secondary coach permision to interview with Raiders for Def coordinator permison...Rex is all about Rex........

A guy not with an expiring contract tho, correct?

To deny it here would be INCREDIBLY vindictive.

And he refused an extension.

Isn't a great feeling to have the Bills HC looking to fill out his staff while the choices are plentiful compared to other years when the Bills were picking thru scraps.

Plus its an aggressive move.....certainly puts the Jets on "defense" (pun intended).....whether he gets the job or not, the Jets have all kinds of damage control issues to react to from just the fact the Bills made the request and apparently let it go public. Great move if they don't do anything else with this guy!

our defense is actually probably closer to a 3-4 than a 4-3 (as crazy as it may sound). we don't have a single quality LB.

you can put KW/DAREUS/Carrington on line, and anderson and mario at OLB.

What have you seen from Anderson that leads you to believe he can play OLB? No, a 3-4 OLB is not the same as a DE in a 4-3. There are some similarities but this isn't fantasy football, you can't simply interchange linemen and linebackers on a whim. We don't have a true 0-technique NT (unless you count Troup). And no, Dareus is not a true NT, I don't care if he got 5 sacks his rookie year.

What have you seen from Anderson that leads you to believe he can play OLB? No, a 3-4 OLB is not the same as a DE in a 4-3. There are some similarities but this isn't fantasy football, you can't simply interchange linemen and linebackers on a whim. We don't have a true 0-technique NT (unless you count Troup). And no, Dareus is not a true NT, I don't care if he got 5 sacks his rookie year.

if I'm not mistaken, Anderson played OLB on the Patriots during the playoffs last year and got a couple sacks.

Nonetheless, when the Patriots switched to the 3-4 defense in the playoffs, Anderson become a full-time starter at ROLB, and was really effective. In three playoff games, Anderson recorded 11 tackles and 2.5 sacks. He continued to excel as a speed-rusher in passing situations, but also showed an ability to shed blocks and make plays in the backfield against the run. While Anderson may not be the "typical" Patriots 3-4 outside linebacker, he definitely showed the potential to make a full-time move to the position.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2012/3/11/2862659/patriots-free-agents-2012-mark-anderson

wow dude, you're so off on everything that what's the point?

What have I seen from Anderson at OLB? really? I watch the NFL. Do you watch the NFL? :blink:

Do you know who Mark Anderson is?

http://www.patspulpit.com/2012/3/11/2862659/patriots-free-agents-2012-mark-anderson

Going into FA he was pretty much listed as a hybrid OLB/DE on every sports site.

I remember those playoff games, I didn't know he was switched to ROLB. Maybe that is his true calling, because I actually question him as a full-time DE.

wow dude, you're so off on everything that what's the point?

You're the guy that wants to switch both our DEs to OLB, and I'm the guy that's off?

At least to me, the point is that no one "scheme" is the be-all-end-all. Belichick has made a HOF career out of adapting his defenses, sometimes in the middle of a game. Give me a guy who "knows defense" and will adapt to fit the personnel.

Yes that freaked me out when he started doing that. Bellichick is an evil man i always say.

Pettine would be one hell of a score.

Dont discount Doug's DC from 'Cuse though. I like his attitude. read some quotes and he roughly suggested he is not held to a scheme. Overrated. Thats not how to win football

So Lovie Smith is out as DC then? :bag:

I'm not thrilled about moving to a 34, but who would be our down linemen? Mario, Kyle, Marcel? Anderson to an OLB role? Mario to an OLB role?

Wasn't Mario a bit frustrated with the Texan's move to the 34?

DE Mario (can play like watt does,bc he is too slow for 43 DE)

NT Kyle/Dareus

DE Carrington

OLB Jarvis Jones (1st rnd)

ILB Bradham

ILB Kiko Alonzo (4th rnd)

OLB John Simon (2nd rnd)

I remember those playoff games, I didn't know he was switched to ROLB. Maybe that is his true calling, because I actually question him as a full-time DE.

You're the guy that wants to switch both our DEs to OLB, and I'm the guy that's off?

You can laugh all you want but you clearly don't watch much football. Mario Williams played OLB for the texans before he came to buffalo, making the switch from a DE - i believe he had something like 6 sacks in 5 games before going down with an injury.

And you dismiss Dareus and his sacks from last season as nothing, but he was more dominant lining up in the 3-4 last season than he was this year in the 4-3..whether you want to blame this season on his brother's death or the change in scheme i dunno, but the fact remains: Mario, Anderson, Dareus, KW have ALL played in a 3-4 and been SUCCESSFUL.

You can laugh all you want but you clearly don't watch much football. Mario Williams played OLB for the texans before he came to buffalo, making the switch from a DE - i believe he had something like 6 sacks in 5 games before going down with an injury.

And you dismiss Dareus and his sacks from last season as nothing, but he was more dominant lining up in the 3-4 last season than he was this year in the 4-3..whether you want to blame this season on his brother's death or the change in scheme i dunno, but the fact remains: Mario, Anderson, Dareus, KW have ALL played in a 3-4 and been SUCCESSFUL.

Clearly I don't. Williams played his entire career as a 5-technique DE in a 4-3, and was only switched to OLB for 5 games before he got hurt. It primarily worked because Phillip's 3-4 scheme doesn't require the DE to handle two gaps, which let Mario play outside in effect acting as a 5-technique. We paid $125M+ to these two guys to come in and play DE with one hand on the ground, something they've done their entire careers (except for Williams 5 games and Andersons 3), and we have the inside of our line locked up for the next 3 years to play 3-technique penetrating DT. I'm not going to even argue with you how ridiculous it is to think we can move both to OLB, let alone play the same OLB rush position in a 3-4. I think every time something major happens with this team this board loses it's mind.

Clearly I don't. Williams played his entire career as a 5-technique DE in a 4-3, and was only switched to OLB for 5 games before he got hurt. It primarily worked because Phillip's 3-4 scheme doesn't require the DE to handle two gaps, which let Mario play outside in effect acting as a 5-technique. We paid $125M+ to these two guys to come in and play DE with one hand on the ground, something they've done their entire careers (except for Williams 5 games and Andersons 3), and we have the inside of our line locked up for the next 3 years to play 3-technique penetrating DT. I'm not going to even argue with you how ridiculous it is to think we can move both to OLB, let alone play the same OLB rush position in a 3-4. I think every time something major happens with this team this board loses it's mind.

I concur.

There is no way we can move to a 3-4 base after spending $100m on MW. We are stuck in a 4-3 now, for better or for worse.

The best we can do is run the hybrid that the Saints did a few years ago, where they basically ran both schemes (which I think was a rarity)

Good post. But, if you have a guy like Pettite who comes from the Jets where they have a couple studs in the middle and a few good Lbs on their roster, and then now is on the Bills with better personnel to have MORE of a 4-3 look, it's pretty easy to see them run a similar hybrid with a little more lean to a 4-3 than the Jets little more lean to the 3-4. Plus, if they are healthy, Kyle. Dareus and Mario are all pretty versatile and talented to move around on the line and play different roles depending on the down, distance and scheme that particular call.

Thats what I figured but this would be a step closer to being a head coach. He could be the "guy who turned around a pitiful Bills defense". Also, there is talent on that side of the ball so it wouldn't be a monumental task.

They'd have to dangle the Assistant Coach title to get this done, right? Otherwise its a lateral move.

DE Mario (can play like watt does,bc he is too slow for 43 DE)

NT Kyle/Dareus

DE Carrington

OLB Jarvis Jones (1st rnd)

ILB Bradham

ILB Kiko Alonzo (4th rnd)

OLB John Simon (2nd rnd)

Three rookie LBs and a second year man who looked like a fish out of water most of the time in his rookie year.

You are an optimist.

GO BILLS!!!

Good post. But, if you have a guy like Pettite who comes from the Jets where they have a couple studs in the middle and a few good Lbs on their roster, and then now is on the Bills with better personnel to have MORE of a 4-3 look, it's pretty easy to see them run a similar hybrid with a little more lean to a 4-3 than the Jets little more lean to the 3-4. Plus, if they are healthy, Kyle. Dareus and Mario are all pretty versatile and talented to move around on the line and play different roles depending on the down, distance and scheme that particular call.

Remember Mario only even visiting 43 teams, and going so far as to specify which end he was willing to play? Just saying it may turn into some headache.

Remember Mario only even visiting 43 teams, and going so far as to specify which end he was willing to play? Just saying it may turn into some headache.

Teams are in passing formations at least 60% of the plays. If we lean more toward a 4-3 but still play some 3-4 and he plays a little OLB (but will likely rush the passer even on those plays, or at least play close to/right next to the line, the amount of time he would play OLB and have OLB responsibilities would very likely be minimal. And he will be very happy, I would imagine, to have an aggressive defense and DC who helps him out tremendously by sending 4-5-6 guys insted of what he endured last year.

The Jets granted the Bills permission for Pettine today.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2013/01/jets-part-ways-with-quarterbacks-coach-matt-cavanuagh

That's part of the whole discussion though isn't it N. S.? If Mario is getting fussy and needs his nap, can Doug get him to do his bidding. Play 100% in whatever he is asked?

Thats the kind of coach we need. If Mario needs to stand up to rush thats fine. He might turn out to be a great blitzer.

In the right scheme of course :bag:

As to the permission issue, the Jets could decline not because Rex is vindictive,

but because they don't want one of their top coaches to go to a division rival where

he could not only be a good coach for the new team, but also have a huge window

into what Rex does and how to try to counter it.

If the Bills can't interview him until sometime in February, they'll probably look for someone else

rather than wait as 7 other teams will be trying to build a staff as well. Then Pettine could go anywhere

else, but not be in the division facing Rex twice a year.

(Guess it's a moot point now per Kelly's post above)

Edited by folz