Bills hire Mike Pettine of the Jets as DC???

Contract expires in a month, so the Jets can either say no and force him to twiddle his thumbs for a few weeks, or just let him interview. I assume he has NO interest in staying in 2013, so we'll see if it's a classy organization over there.

One thing Rexy doesn't strike me as is vindictive. Still, with no GM in place (that's still true, isn't it) I wonder who approval will come from.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because the jets use a 3/4 scheme doesn't mean he doesn't know how to coach a 4/3. Everyone on this board automatically thinks that D coordinators only know how to coach one scheme.

typically over the long haul they want to get to what they feel most comfortable with. this is a guy with a kind of short nfl resume too, so id be hesitant to jump on board and say hes obviously an nfl caliber 43 coordinator. there is some middle ground to be had.

what i will say is that between marrone (history with jets, and with sean payton) and a guy out of the NY locker room potentially... this staff might have a little more.... attitude? swagger? to them than our last. i dont know a ton of marrones personality though, just going on some context clues there.

One thing Rexy doesn't strike me as is vindictive. Still, with no GM in place (that's still true, isn't it) I wonder who approval will come from.

i dislike the jets as much as anyone, and i would be shocked if permission is denied. id guess itd go to the next notch up (whoever is running the GM search).

Guys, quit getting hung up on the 3-4 vs. 4-3 nonsense...Marrone said he's going to fit the coaching to the personnel. I'm sure a significant part of the interview process with any DC candidate will be to look at the Bills roster, account for some additions/subtractions via free agency and the draft, and "tell me what you're going to do with this." The DC that has the best answer and is adaptable is going to get the job. Maybe that's Pettine.

It matters, if you have a coach who has coached and led good defenses under a 3-4 for most of professional career, then ideally you would be hiring someone to help install a defense he has familiarity with.

id still qualify their second most common in that article, a 3-3-5, as a nickel variety of the 34 defense. an odd front, 3 down lineman, is their primary look. though im sure they do use other elements frequently.

Edited by NoSaint

It matters, if you have a coach who has coached and led good defenses under a 3-4 for most of professional career, then ideally you would be hiring someone to help install a defense he has familiarity with.

Which is why you have him analyze your roster and tell you how he is going to make it work. The best coaches can adapt.

Which is why you have him analyze your roster and tell you how he is going to make it work. The best coaches can adapt.

That's fine if you are the HC... But if you have the luxary of choosing a DC, and you have personnel that is built more for the 4-3, then it doesn't make that much sense to choose a DC who has primarily coached the 3-4.

I'm not sure that is true. Pettine was hired to coach LBs by the Ravens and was hired to be second banana behind Rex Ryan on the Jets, although he seems to have had more responsibility than one might think as an outsider. But that doesn't mean he thinks himself that 3-4 is the best way or only way. Not to mention that I would assume all these coaches think they know both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, regardless of which they may prefer depending on the talent at hand. Plus, more important than "the scheme", to me, is the philosophy and the the defensive play-calling; knowing when to rush 3-4-5-or 6 guys. Knowing how to take away the run or the pass when things aren't going well. Teaching fundamentals to the players. Getting all 11 players on the field to know their assignments and carry them out as group, etc.

On the Mario issue, I found this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fb066c/article/standup-guy-texans-williams-welcomes-move-to-linebacker

"I feel great about it," Williams said about the move to linebacker. "What an opportunity for me."

He also wasn't too eager to leave Houston, but got priced out. He also got 5 sacks in 5 games from the end. I don't think he disqualifies us for the scheme.

I'm not sure that is true. Pettine was hired to coach LBs by the Ravens and was hired to be second banana behind Rex Ryan on the Jets, although he seems to have had more responsibility than one might think as an outsider. But that doesn't mean he thinks himself that 3-4 is the best way or only way. Not to mention that I would assume all these coaches think they know both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, regardless of which they may prefer depending on the talent at hand. Plus, more important than "the scheme", to me, is the philosophy and the the defensive play-calling; knowing when to rush 3-4-5-or 6 guys. Knowing how to take away the run or the pass when things aren't going well. Teaching fundamentals to the players. Getting all 11 players on the field to know their assignments and carry them out as group, etc.

the primary worry being that before being with ryan... he was a high school coach. im sure he is well familiar with the 43, and has helped breakdown 43 film with the staff in the offseason, run some 4 man front looks..... his top level experience is very heavily skewed. heck, he doesnt even have that much experience with other variations of the 34, or even just the wrinkles you pick up with different staff experience. its been with rex at any time above a high school level. granted with great success though. i dont want to belittle that success, but its an interesting prospect when you dig on him some. you would have to assume to a solid degree wed be shifting that way pretty heavily.

I don't know, I'm certainly no expert, but I would think that if you have the luxury to decide which DC is going to help lead your Defense, you go with the guy that has had success in "the scheme" that he is most familiar with.

Jets had the 8th ranked defense?!?! They were absolutely pathetic to watch the majority of the season, it actually hurt my eyes. (Yes, the Bills weren't half as bad as the Jets were in most games) I would absolutely love this move, we have far more talent on this team on defense then the Jets. Add in a stud LB such as Teo or Jones and we could really make some things happen next year on D!

The jets did that without a pass rusher and the best CB in football too.

The extensive use of sub packages has essentially rendered the idea of a base defense moot the last several years. I really don't think Pettine's preference for any base front really matters.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know, I'm certainly no expert, but I would think that if you have the luxury to decide which DC is going to help lead your Defense, you go with the guy that has had success in "the scheme" that he is most familiar with.

It seems to me that Ryan has switched a lot between the 3-4, 4-3 and 46 throughout his career, and throughout games. He seems to have run the 3-4 more than the others total, but you need to know them all.

It seems to me that Ryan has switched a lot between the 3-4, 4-3 and 46 throughout his career, and throughout games. He seems to have run the 3-4 more than the others total, but you need to know them all.

Yeah, I just read that in the article provided by Coach Tuesday...ok

This would be a great move for a lot of reasons. Most important to my sanity on Sunday's however, is that I would finally see some BLITZING!!

And this