Bills hire Mike Pettine of the Jets as DC???

Im not sure. If its true, it goes to show how screwed up Rex is. Calling out your DC who has your Defense #8 in the NFL and #1 in your division? Seems odd.

heres the first article i found discussing it. pettine brushes it off, but could be why hes ready to leave. ill look a bit more for the ryan comments that opened that line of questioning. also some insight into their power structure

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/09/mike_pettine_said_rex_ryans_la.html

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres the first article i found discussing it. pettine brushes it off, but could be why hes ready to leave. ill look a bit more for the ryan comments that opened that line of questioning.

http://www.nj.com/je...x_ryans_la.html

That's interesting stuff, and pretty surprising how they would switch it up that much between Rex and Pettine. Thanks for the link.

Why do they need permission? He refused to extend his contract - I thought he was about to be a free agent coach.

They have to wait a month to do it without permission.

going back to the 34 :thumbsup: (maybe) I now every one thinks we cant do it but we have the guys to do it.

unfortunately, we have two guys who can but chose to come to a 43 instead, KW who isnt a great fit still. etc....

changing every year doesnt just hurt your starters but is terrible for depth too (guys like moore, or bradham being question marks with a switch, while we just cleared out a few 34 guys last year).

we CAN but i dont think it would be SMART.

Edited by NoSaint

Jets had the 8th ranked defense?!?! They were absolutely pathetic to watch the majority of the season, it actually hurt my eyes. (Yes, the Bills weren't half as bad as the Jets were in most games) I would absolutely love this move, we have far more talent on this team on defense then the Jets. Add in a stud LB such as Teo or Jones and we could really make some things happen next year on D!

Why do they need permission? He refused to extend his contract - I thought he was about to be a free agent coach.

his contract doesnt end at the whistle of the last game. same reason we cant negotiate with soon to be free agent players. hes a jet, technically.

Jets had the 8th ranked defense?!?! They were absolutely pathetic to watch the majority of the season, it actually hurt my eyes. (Yes, the Bills weren't half as bad as the Jets were in most games) I would absolutely love this move, we have far more talent on this team on defense then the Jets. Add in a stud LB such as Teo or Jones and we could really make some things happen next year on D!

Yep, they did.

[/font][/color]

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

[/size][/font][/color]

http://www.ganggreen...speak-with-mike

[/font][/color]

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

[/size][/font][/color]

http://www.ganggreen...speak-with-mike

I support this 100% Pettine is a savy young coach and say what you want about the jets, their defense has been pretty stout under Ryan/Pettine. Great move if we get it done go get him Doug!

I'm not thrilled about moving to a 34, but who would be our down linemen? Mario, Kyle, Marcel? Anderson to an OLB role? Mario to an OLB role?

Wasn't Mario a bit frustrated with the Texan's move to the 34?

id assume it would be

kyle, dareus, and carrington up front

with anderson, and mario at olb (both have played it), and shepherd and barnett inside (what each was initially brought in for)

I wouldn't make much of his 34 background. Rex Ryan has always used elements of his dad's 46 concepts which incorporates the 43 front, particularly this year. It won't matter to a good coach. And I can't imagine Marrone going after Pettine if he didn't think he was a good coach.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't make much of his 34 background. Rex Ryan has always used elements of his dad's 46 concepts which incorporates the 43 front, particularly this year. It won't matter to a good coach. And I can't imagine Marrone going after Pettine if he didn't think he was a good coach.

GO BILLS!!!

generally agree. we do have some talent to do a little hybrid here and there. one of the gifts of switching back and forth repeatedly, and if mario is open to it he was productive from the edge in the 34 before his injury.

if i have to choose id rather a straight base 43, but i can swallow this pill if need be.

Edited by NoSaint

GO BILLS!!!

I'd agree with this. It's going to be a tough decision on DC. You want the best coach, and you want the scheme that fits your players. Maybe a hybrid really is the way to go if you got a very good coach.

Guys, quit getting hung up on the 3-4 vs. 4-3 nonsense...Marrone said he's going to fit the coaching to the personnel. I'm sure a significant part of the interview process with any DC candidate will be to look at the Bills roster, account for some additions/subtractions via free agency and the draft, and "tell me what you're going to do with this." The DC that has the best answer and is adaptable is going to get the job. Maybe that's Pettine.