Bills hire Mike Pettine of the Jets as DC???

Buffalo Bills: Sources tell us the Bills have requested permission to speak with Mike Pettine of the Jets for their defensive coordinator position.

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Pettine has been Rex Ryan's right hand man going back to his days in Baltimore. He played a big role in helping Rex install the defense. A change might be good for him to get out of Rex's shadow. Right or wrong (I'd wager heavily on wrong), there might be a perception out there he is a figurehead. Pettine does a lot of heavy lifting with the Jets. I'm prepared to see the Jets lose him, but I hope it's not to a division rival.

http://www.ganggreen...speak-with-mike

Edited by Beerball

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

worries: hasnt rex been generally unhappy with the defense and trying to take a heavier role? also, wasnt this guy coaching high school ball within the last decade? also, a 34 guy.

pro: experience with the baltimore team, and jets top ranked d in 2009.

Edited by NoSaint

worries: hasnt rex been generally unhappy with the defense and trying to take a heavier role? also, wasnt this guy coaching high school ball within the last decade? also, a 34 guy.

Jets had the 8th ranked defense last year. And one of the worst offenses. If Rex thinks defense is the problem, no wonder the Jets have been stinking.

They'd have to dangle the Assistant Coach title to get this done, right? Otherwise its a lateral move.

I had the same thought.

However, this might Rex's last year as a Head Coach, so he may see this as a longer opportunity in Buffalo.

Jets had the 8th ranked defense last year. And one of the worst offenses. If Rex thinks defense is the problem, no wonder the Jets have been stinking.

I had the same thought.

However, this might Rex's last year as a Head Coach, so he may see this as a longer opportunity in Buffalo.

He turned down an extension with the jets last month. i dont think he wants to work with rex anymore. hes essentially unemployed currently, but has his contract lingering to run out.

just going off memory though - didnt rex hit him hard with some comments about how he was going to take away some responsibility and make the defensive buck stop with himself?

(i know those two things kind of contradict each other... such is the jets front office though)

Edited by NoSaint

Pretty good breakdown. The counter to the pros would be:

1.) In B-more, was first assistant D-line coach, then promoted to OLB coach. Not even LB coach, just OLBs. Not a ton of responsibility.

2.) How much work did he actually do as the Jets' nominal D-coordinator? If a team with a defensive-minded head coach tried to hire Curtis Modkins as their OC, we would laugh at them for days on end. I've been under the impression that Rex was his own DC up until I clicked on this thread.

Still, his resume beats out George Edwards', so that's something I guess.

EDIT: Hit "post" too soon. I should also mention that even if he wasn't really coordinating the D for the Jets the last 4 years, he was presumably learning on the job from Rex Ryan, who is one of the best in the biz. So even in the worst case, there's some hope. I really really don't want to switch back to a 3-4, though.

Edited by Cash

I can't be the only one that has this feeling that long after we go to bed tonight thinking about the future of the Buffalo Bills Doug Marrone's going to have a phone up to his ear talking to somebody about somebody, some multi-page analysis of some football coach/player in one hand and the remote control for video game-film review in the other.

...with his wife feeding him a vitamin shake through a straw.

GO BILLS!!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Contract expires in a month, so the Jets can either say no and force him to twiddle his thumbs for a few weeks, or just let him interview. I assume he has NO interest in staying in 2013, so we'll see if it's a classy organization over there.

he turned down an extension. it would be beyond classless to not let him interview at this point. should pretty well be a gimme that he gets to.

He turned down an extension with the jets last month. i dont think he wants to work with rex anymore. hes essentially unemployed currently, but has his contract lingering to run out.

just going off memory though - didnt rex hit him hard with some comments about how he was going to take away some responsibility and make the defensive buck stop with himself?

(i know those two things kind of contradict each other... such is the jets front office though)

Im not sure. If its true, it goes to show how screwed up Rex is. Calling out your DC who has your Defense #8 in the NFL and #1 in your division? Seems odd.