Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Boise State had no long and recent history of superlative Div 1 football play loke Syracuse did, yet there is no question they have been able to rise to national prominence over the past 5 years or so. It's just an example. But the point isn't simply why didn't Marrone win more games in Syracuse, but why he was suddenly such an obvious candidate for an NFL job when 6 or 7 teams didn't think he was last year? You know all about college football. Answer the question.

Because of the lack of D1 power programs on the west coast and an over abundance of D1 talent from California and Texas those players have to go somewhere if they want to play. Boise has 57 kids on the current roster from Cal and Tx. It is easier to get those kids to go to Boise because of the lack of programs out west compared to the over abundance of programs here on the east coast and in warm weather.

Name me a northeast D1 school that is any good in football? BC, UConn, Ivy schools, no, if I was a kid on the east coast I wouldn't go to the northeast when there are so many options to play in warmer weather.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of hire would have made you happy? This is about as different as they come. The Bills have NEVER hired a coach out of college.

I'll be honest. No hire would make me happy. I am convinced of there being no positive change at OBD. Thus, the roster will have holes in it until they leave. Thus, any coach is behind. This coach. Well, he lacks a record of success in a leadership role, so I think he'll be even more challenged. It's different, but is it better? I just can't find enough traction with this guy to get excited.

Because of the lack of D1 power programs on the west coast and an over abundance of D1 talent from California and Texas those players have to go somewhere if they want to play. Boise has 57 kids on the current roster from Cal and Tx. It is easier to get those kids to go to Boise because of the lack of programs out west compared to the over abundance of programs here on the east coast and in warm weather.

Name me a northeast D1 school that is any good in football? BC, UConn, Ivy schools, no, if I was a kid on the east coast I wouldn't go to the northeast when there are so many options to play in warmer weather.

Yeah, most of the good Northeast players are going to go to one of the big power teams...Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, etc...those are the teams that get the majority of the good players up north...the other teams are basically getting the players that the big teams don't want.

That was my biggest worry about Chip Kelly...is he really that great of a coach, or is he simply bankrolled by Nike, with the coolest uniforms in the country and able to recruit some of the best West Coast talent and simply have players that are better than the other teams? No doubt he has some veryinnovative ideas, but how good is he at actually taking players and teaching them and making them better?

Not sure if true over wild card weekend, but recall in past year,s the NFL highly frowns on teams making coaching announcements over the weekend while playoff games are going on. They want all the attention on the games and no distractions. Thought the gag order came out more in later rounds, but may be the same this weekend too??

Has anyone from the Bills confirmed this hire? Seems odd all we have is the say so of a guy from ESPN.

I agree. No accouncement from the Bills? Seems odd indeed.

Not sure if true over wild card weekend, but recall in past year,s the NFL highly frowns on teams making coaching announcements over the weekend while playoff games are going on. They want all the attention on the games and no distractions. Thought the gag order came out more in later rounds, but may be the same this weekend too??

Even the Bills official website just says "according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter". Seems strange the Bills quoting a guy from ESPN to release news. Or is that not really releasing it?

Lack of D1 power programs on the west coast??? You mean outside the PAC12? ANd no power programs to go in Texas?

The kids going to Boise from CA and TX aren't the top recruits form those states. As you say, they go there to play, because many wouldn't play at the many power programs that actually exist on the west coast.

Also, Syracuse is an easy drive to Penn State, Ohio State. The weather's not so warm and sunny at those places, yet they actually get some fellas from the south to play for them. It's not the weather.

Anyway, who knows what Marrone will do. I just asked how he got to this point after one more year at Syracuse.

Lack of D1 power programs on the west coast??? You mean outside the PAC12? ANd no power programs to go in Texas?

The kids going to Boise from CA and TX aren't the top recruits form those states. As you say, they go there to play, because many wouldn't play at the many power programs that actually exist on the west coast.

Also, Syracuse is an easy drive to Penn State, Ohio State. The weather's not so warm and sunny at those places, yet they actually get some fellas from the south to play for them. It's not the weather.

Anyway, who knows what Marrone will do. I just asked how he got to this point after one more year at Syracuse.

Read what I said. There are too many blue chip recruits and not enough roster spots out west, that is why Boise is able to recruit so well in TX and Cal where there is 65 million people just in those 2 states alone. There is only so many schools in those states. The PAC 10 is the only conference out west worth a damn, and a few TX schools, where else those kids going to go? Boise saw that and was the first to jump on the recruiting of that, whereas in the east it's the ACC, SEC, Big East, CUSA and some Big 10. Herd it on ESPN awhile back and makes sense.

Ohio and Pennsylvania have way way better high school football than does NY State, so it is easy for Ohio St or Penn St to recruit. NY high school football sucks as far a blue chippers go so Syracuse is always having to go out of state and recruit against a lot of good programs and all they seem to ever get to take is everyone else scraps.

In an odd way, if Chip Kelly goes back to Oregon, I'll like this hire much more. Because that will mean while Kelly was stringing along Philadelphia and Cleveland, Buffalo realized they weren't in the mix, and pulled the trigger on a guy that could have had multiple suitors once Kelly made his decision. Now the unlikely scenario of Kelly returning? That leaves both teams scrambling.

The Bills interviewed five candidates. Since none of those five have been hired elsewhere, it is safe to say that Buffalo truly got their man.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefterFiled to ESPN: Doug Marrone has agreed to leave Syracuse and become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.LET'S GO!!!!

yeah my second choice but am still happy about it, glad we didn't get retreads Wiz and luv, will be interesting see who the coordinators are and what scheme they "adapt" to the players.

yeah my second choice but am still happy about it, glad we didn't get retreads Wiz and luv, will be interesting see who the coordinators are and what scheme they "adapt" to the players.

Happy to see the Bills get who they wanted, not who was leftover. Didn't worry how the "Chips" fell.

This looks like it could be a very good hire. I was in the camp that liked Kelly, but the more I learn about Marrone, the more I like this hire. I guess that's why I'm not on the selection committee. Anyhow, I like that he runs a no-huddle, quick-tempo offense. I think that really helps to keep defenses off-balance. Fitz might even flourish in a system like this where he can call his own plays at the line-of-scrimmage. Not saying they shouldn't bring in another QB -- they need to -- but just saying that this style of offense could suit Fitz well.

I mentioned in the now closed Chip Kelly thread last night that I didn't want the Bills to be the team left standing without a chair in the 3 team scramble for Kelly and Marrone. It's very interesting that both the Browns and Eagles are forced into plan C, and the Bills have their coach. A real sea change from where this organization has been.

+1

This looks like it could be a very good hire. I was in the camp that liked Kelly, but the more I learn about Marrone, the more I like this hire. I guess that's why I'm not on the selection committee. Anyhow, I like that he runs a no-huddle, quick-tempo offense. I think that really helps to keep defenses off-balance. Fitz might even flourish in a system like this where he can call his own plays at the line-of-scrimmage. Not saying they shouldn't bring in another QB -- they need to -- but just saying that this style of offense could suit Fitz well.

And you started out so nicely. Until you went into a Fitz that is.

Johnny football is a true freshmen, he cannot come out in next years draft. You must be three years removed from HS to op into the NFL draft

No. He's a redshirt freshman, just like Mariotta. Eligible for 2014 draft.

It's definitely a QB-driven league. I do agree with you that Fitz is very likely not the answer. I keep thinking that with Cortez leaving and being replaced by the mechanics guy - David Lee - that it really messed Fitz up this year. I would at least like to see Fitz retained as a backup and given a chance to compete for the position in an open competition -- nothing handed to him -- best man gets the job.

Moderation note: please keep this thread on the topic of the Bills new head coach. Thanks for your cooperation.

Good call on the move. Wasn't sure where to place the other info since it makes the Bills choice look even better in light of the "other" news.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Honestly, just for fun, what do you think the record of Chip Kelly would have been had he taken over the Syracuse HC job the exact same way that Marrone did, keeping in mind that he wouldn't have hardly any of his own guys in year 1 after being hired on December 11, only true freshmen in year two, and the first year he would have had mostly his own guys was last year.

Personally, if he were able to get that team to 30-20 in four years would be very, very hard to believe, and he probably would be pretty close to 25-25. Sure, it's impossible to know to if you had to guess, what would you say and why? And remember, Kelly was OC for a couple years at Oregon before taking over, and they were a top 10 NCAA team before he got there as HC.

Kelly probably would've been something like 37-15. I'm that much of a believer in his system at the college level. Even in Year 1, he would've won games just by shocking opponents with his pace of play.

BUT, having said that, Kelly being a better college coach than Marrone doesn't mean he'd make a better NFL coach. In fact, I'm pretty sure Kelly would've failed. From that standpoint, and from the standpoint that I know nothing about Marrone, I'm happy that we hired Marrone instead of Kelly.

I'd rather have the coach I know nothing about than the coach I think would've failed. I apply the same logic in liking Marrone over Lovie, Horton, McCoy, Gruden, and Cowher, some of the names we've seen interviewed and/or mentioned here.

Half the board hates the pick, the other half likes or is benign to it. The half that likes the pick hates the other half that doesn't and vice versa. So it's a typical Buffalo Bills forum.

Lack of a crystal ball means we'll all have to wait and see how it all plays out. Conjecture on the part of everyone on any side of the debate.

Half the board hates the pick, the other half likes or is benign to it. The half that likes the pick hates the other half that doesn't and vice versa. So it's a typical Buffalo Bills forum.

oh thanks. So chances are he's either a fm really good pickup yet we hate him. Or he sucks but we will follow him to our doom. Sounds like any other day here at TBD

clearly schefter was correct. now, are the bills? i sue hope so but even if they are, why do they always have to look for a diamond in the rough? why can't they just pick up a high grade, certified diamond? there's only so many don beebes and andre reeds. not seeing a great change in philosophy here but i hope, as much as anyone, that he's the real deal.

clearly schefter was correct. now, are the bills? i sue hope so but even if they are, why do they always have to look for a diamond in the rough? why can't they just pick up a high grade, certified diamond? there's only so many don beebes and andre reeds. not seeing a great change in philosophy here but i hope, as much as anyone, that he's the real deal.

Who was this high grade certified diamond?

I see multiple people spreading the rumor yet I can't find one link or news source or sports show to corroborate this "fact". Please tell me someone didn't just make this up and it snowballed...

ANYONE?

Give it up dude. It's a fact. Every major sports site is reporting that Marrone is our coach.

I see multiple people spreading the rumor yet I can't find one link or news source or sports show to corroborate this "fact". Please tell me someone didn't just make this up and it snowballed...

ANYONE?

It's published in several places on the web. It's so not cool to be Illiterate and Out of Style.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz