Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

It also allows us to get started looking for a new coach instead of having to hire a GM first. Whaley will likely be the guy in 6 months anyway.

PTR

Anything that justifies keeping Nix for reasons other than his performance as GM. I hope you are right.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything that justifies keeping Nix for reasons other than his performance as GM. I hope you are right.

I could be wrong but I'm betting Nix is here for the draft only. Once done Whaley takes over and Nix retires or takes some scouting role.

PTR

I could be wrong but I'm betting Nix is here for the draft only. Once done Whaley takes over and Nix retires or takes some scouting role.

PTR

That HAS to be the plan PTR. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. Keep him here for appearance, get a good coach, see you later.

I just hope that if he stayed for the draft, it's as a consultant and not the guy with the hammer.

Please define failure. Not making the playoffs? Not his job. Selling tickets and suites and maximizing revenue so we are in good shape? I'd say he's done well.

PTR

Hasn't he been president since yesterday?

Part of me believes the entire reason for the press conference was to attempt to attract more/better HC candidates by telling everyone that Ralph is no longer involved, since Ralph is/was the largest roadblock in finding a quality head coach.

A way to tell the NFL community that the "Old man aint in charge no more".

The fact that the fans got to hear it was just bonus.

I could get behind/believe this

Someone said it in another thread and I'm inclined to agree:

It's a symbolic gesture to HC candidates that Ralph Wilson will not interfere with them if they take the job. Likewise, it may be a fair point that they are keeping Nix to appear to be a stable organization. From where I sit, it's the only logically reason to keep Nix here.

Brown was a prick.

You just insulted all pricks since the beginning of time. There is no word to describe the level of filth that is John Y Brown.

GO BILLS!!!

Technically, his tenure as President of the Buffalo Bills is still only hours old! I think that his words are encouraging to most fans, but let's see what the results are first. The proof better be the product on the field this time or we could be looking at 20,000 people in the stands reminisent of the mid 1980's real soon. Failure is NOT an option anymore, and Russ Brandon knows it, I think!?!?

That's the whole point of this thread---aren't you tired of the same old names?? Ralph, Jim, Russ---what's the difference? It's all the same "thinkers" who have gotten us where we are. Do you really think Russ Brandon has some totally new vision he's never shared with Raplh for this team that he is now ready to put forth into motuon? I have no reason to suspect this is the case.

Does anyone think that the new owner(s) of the team would keep Brandon as CEO/President, given his past performance (in all capacities)?

There has to be a point of logic inserted in here somewhere. Someone *HAS* to make a decision to hire someone.

Edited by jeremy2020

will this end the Toronto deal?

It was a boon to Wilson's pocket book and now he has no say.

Wood spoke out against it, Im sure other players and coaches hate to sacrifice the edge of a home game. I think Brandon would scrap the game.

"No stone unturned", right?

Wood spoke out against it, Im sure other players and coaches hate to sacrifice the edge of a home game. I think Brandon would scrap the game.

Home games dont provide much of an edge when the team sucks by October and no one shows up in November and December anyways. If Wood and the other players want more fan participation, they should just start winning. Winning cures everything.

At first I was excited to hear the Ralph ceded power to a younger professional who is eager to make his mark on the Bills as well as the rest of the NFL.

Then I realized that, wait a minute, Ralph is 94 and by all accounts a new owner will be in place who most likely will bring in his own people to run the show. So what is the point of Ralph stepping down and propping Russ Brandon up as the new caesar? Unless he is leaving the Bills to Brandon in his will, this doesn't really make sense.

Ralph should have just sold the team if he didn't want the burden and responsibility of being "the guy". I like Ralph and appreciate everything he's done for the Bills and Buffalo area, but does he think he is going to live forever? Or maybe this was a plot designed by the new owners (perhaps a Jim Kelly led group) to soften the perception of the Bills and create a new image that is more coach friendly.

With all due respect to Ralph, when he passes,which could be any day at his age, Russ's vision and leadership of the Bills most likely ends.

It just seems odd to me. Thoughts?

First, even if Mr. Wilson passed tomorrow, there will be a very lengthy process to probate his will and distribute his assets, including the Bills. Second, there will likely be a rather lengthy competition on the purchase. On top of that, the NFL has a process for approving ownership changes, etc. This all could take at least 1 year but more like two years. At that point, new ownership could take over and clean house with their own executive team I suppose. However, by that time, if the organization is performing well, there would be no need or rush to dump an experienced executive, especially if his record of success on the business side is matched by team performance over the next two to three years.

Transferring an $800 million plus asset takes a great deal of time and planning which will be greatly complicated by the transfer being after his death., Brandon will be around for quite some time.

An interesting question. But:

1) I believe the Toronto series was Brandons brainchild in the first place so why would he abandon it. He is not only responsible for the Bills record, but for the bottom line as well.

2) "No say"? It is still Mr. Wilsons pocket book. If Brandon decides to lighten it significantly with a business, not football, decision then I strongly suspect that Mr. Wilson, as the owner, may have some say still :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

So who do you think should be running the show? Any ideas of just feel like complaining.

Again, the buildup was proven to be false and this time around Brandon won't be making football decisions again. As for who will be making the decisions, Whaley may have more of a say since he's being groomed for the job. I don't know. But I'd like to hear any names of people who would definitely do a better job.

Unfortunately, there is no person to take over until a new owner is in place.

My point is that this doesn't really seem like a big deal--unless you are convinced that Brandon has been the key to success all along and Ralph has held him back. You didn't respond when I asked you if you thought this was the case.

An interesting question. But:

1) I believe the Toronto series was Brandons brainchild in the first place so why would he abandon it. He is not only responsible for the Bills record, but for the bottom line as well.

2) "No say"? It is still Mr. Wilsons pocket book. If Brandon decides to lighten it significantly with a business, not football, decision then I strongly suspect that Mr. Wilson, as the owner, may have some say still :)

he did (steal) the reason for existence is winning statement. And said everything they do is to end the crap of the past 13 years and create a winning organization. To me, continuing the Toronto Series is completely opposite. It is an easy and cheap payday for the bottom line. And moreso, it negatively affects "winning".

If the team was competitive, I think they would make up the profit "the hard way", at least most of it. That would certainly provide more regionalization than that abomination of a game/event held up there.

now if there is no more series and the hire someone like Chip Kelly, R Brandon has my attention.

Edited by May Day 10

A few things people seem to struggle with.

1. GMs generally do not make Top Down Decisions. Generally in the NFL a GM doesn't say, "We"re drafting a QB round 1. Specifically we're drafting Geno Smith. Make it Happen." This is not how the role of a GM works. A GM will take the information from their scouting department and other contributors weigh the information, discuss options with their staff. Then take that bottom up information into consideration and use their judgment and experience to make a decision.

2. Buddy Nix, Hired and recruited Doug Whaley. Buddy Nix did this with the intent to turn the GM role over to him in time.

3. A top notch coaching candidate wants a Front Office that is stable.

The Constant axing of GMs and Coaches after a 3 year run IS THE REASON WHY A TOP TIER CANDIDATE DOES NOT WANT THE BUFFALO BILLS COACHING JOB.

Not the location, not the weather, not the old owner.

An organization that is in constant churn is a bad organization to join.

Axing Buddy Nix only shows that organization is impatient and has no long term strategy.

Keeping Nix, and seeing a smooth transition to Whaley is something a TOP TIER COACHING CANDIDATE WOULD LIKELY WANT TO SEE HAPPEN.

You can say what you want about Nix as a GM, he is clearly a mind you want to consult when it comes to shopping for talent.

There are people that can say he hasn't down a good job of adding talent and that the talent he has added is in comparison to the low bar the Bills have set for the last 13 years. That is an opinion everyone is entitled to have.

However the talent on the team in 2008 was laughable. Both lines offensive and defensive were a joke. You win football games in the trenches.

The Bills were basically an expansion team in 2009. Buddy Nix has built this team from the lines out and imo done a good job of that. We are a 2 LBs and a QB away from being a playoff team in my imo.

That is much better than 2008. I would go as far to say if someone argued that the talent on the roster was better in 2008 than 2012 you are lying or being argumentive for arguments sake.

So has Buddy Nix showed us the Baby? No.

Has the team improved talent wise since he has been involved with the bills? Yes

Are the wins there? No.

So do we continue the churn in the Front Office and Nix Nix? I say No. Show some stability to the coaching candidate. Show the GM transition plan to the candidate that I am CERTAIN 1.) EXISTS 2.) NIX IS AWARE OF AND 3.) NIX LIKELY HELPED TO CREATE.

Some will say Yes, Nix Nix; Heads must Roll!

Well guess what the Bills have tried that every couple of years.

IT HASN'T WORKED. What level of insanity would tell you that it would work again?

First off let me say...If you think the #1 reason top tier Coaches do not want to come to Buffalo is because we ax head coaches and GM's with terrible win/loss records every three years...Then I should probably stop typing now...We're never going to agree...I think that statement is way, way off...These guys understand it's a results oriented business...Brandon said it yesterday...He also said that's what Buddy always says...Jobs would not come open otherwise...You think ANY Head Coaching candidate expects that he, or any GM, is going to keep their job in the NFL past 3 years if they lose twice as much as they win? No way...

Brandon is the beginning of stability...Not the middle...Nix was Ralph's guy, not Brandon's...If he went with his own guy, say Whaley, and promised stability it would be good enough for most Head Coaching candidates...

What you wrote is your opinion, and you seem to want to pass a lot of your opinion off as fact by utilizing capital letters as proof...And that's fine...It's all good...My opinion is Buddy should have gone yesterday due to his record which is there in black and white for everyone to see...The same way every other GM in the NFL is evaluated...Wins, losses, Draft Picks, Free Agents, etc...You seem to believe that just because something has not worked with this organization in the past that it is incapable of working...I disagree...You keep trying until you get it right, and you darn well make sure that folks who have made bad decisions in the past don't get a bunch more chances to do the same...

Like Buddy, you cite as fact things that are completely your opinion, or possibly not factual at all...So I totally understand why you want to keep the guy...I really do... ;)

And just for the record...I would not consult Buddy if I was shopping for a bag of Pork Rinds at Wegmans...Just saying...There are FAR better Head Scouts in the NFL nowadays...That IS a fact... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Unfortunately, there is no person to take over until a new owner is in place.

My point is that this doesn't really seem like a big deal--unless you are convinced that Brandon has been the key to success all along and Ralph has held him back. You didn't respond when I asked you if you thought this was the case.

I don't know. I wasn't there in meetings.

And you've dodged my question. You seem to think that Brandon will hire a bad coach. So give me names of guys you'd be happy with.

This isn't really true. You can offer the ability to run your show TODAY. I don't see how much has really changed - by all accounts Russ was already mostly in charge. He can say it's his team, but it's not - it's Ralph's team. We'll unfortunately be reminded of this somewhere in the not so distant future given his age and apparent health issues in the last year. Then what? A new owner will once again be holding the keys. If there was some sort of succession plan announced as part of this transition, would be a lot more promising for a potential next coach.

C'mon man didn't you watch the god father? Things totally changed when Don stepped down and new blood took the reins.