Everyone stop by and say something nice about Mckelvin

I've always liked McKelvin. I think he's super talented, despite his troubles in tracking down the ball.

I basically stopped defending him and giving him props because it seemed to fall on deaf ears. Glad to see there are some others here that recognize the bright side.

I also always thought he got a bum rap. I don't think it's that he has made so many more bad plays than any other corner, it's that they've been big gains and have come at inopportune times. So his mistakes are magnified, as everyone remembers the big plays. I don't know how he could ever redeem himself after the fumble gaffe in the Pats* game. He has of course returned 4 kicks/punts for TDs not to mention the countless big returns that have set up the offense with great field position.

Every corner gives up completions all the time. Even the best CBs in the league allow a catch a little less than half the time the are targeted. The WRs have such an advantage I'm surprised it's not higher.

That said, this helps explain some of the disdain for McKelvin:

Leodis McKelvin has interesting numbers, with a terrible yards per pass number but a fine Success Rate. You'll get that kind of thing with a lower sample size. (He's only one pass above our minimum to be ranked.) We've got McKelvin giving up five different passes of 40+ yards: 58 and 40 to A.J. Green, 50 and 42 to Denarius Moore, and 42 to Santonio Holmes on a DPI. Those weren't big YAC passes -- each one was at least 34 yards through the air. So when McKelvin did get beat in 2011, he got beat badly. On the other hand, our charters gave McKelvin a pass defensed on eight of the 40 passes where he was listed as the main defender in coverage, which is a pretty good ratio.

http://www.footballo...ting-stats-2011

Just noticed on replay that Mck was charging around the corner on the missed 38 yard fg. Feely saw him coming........Mighty Taskerlike IMO

McK has been an all around stud this season. I am very pleased w his play and he should be in running for pro bowl special teamer as it stands.

He is a smart guy. Yes, we share an alma mater.

Edited by jjmac

I've always liked McKelvin. I think he's super talented, despite his troubles in tracking down the ball.

I basically stopped defending him and giving him props because it seemed to fall on deaf ears. Glad to see there are some others here that recognize the bright side.

I also always thought he got a bum rap. I don't think it's that he has made so many more bad plays than any other corner, it's that they've been big gains and have come at inopportune times. So his mistakes are magnified, as everyone remembers the big plays. I don't know how he could ever redeem himself after the fumble gaffe in the Pats* game. He has of course returned 4 kicks/punts for TDs not to mention the countless big returns that have set up the offense with great field position.

Every corner gives up completions all the time. Even the best CBs in the league allow a catch a little less than half the time the are targeted. The WRs have such an advantage I'm surprised it's not higher.

That said, this helps explain some of the disdain for McKelvin:

Leodis McKelvin has interesting numbers, with a terrible yards per pass number but a fine Success Rate. You'll get that kind of thing with a lower sample size. (He's only one pass above our minimum to be ranked.) We've got McKelvin giving up five different passes of 40+ yards: 58 and 40 to A.J. Green, 50 and 42 to Denarius Moore, and 42 to Santonio Holmes on a DPI. Those weren't big YAC passes -- each one was at least 34 yards through the air. So when McKelvin did get beat in 2011, he got beat badly. On the other hand, our charters gave McKelvin a pass defensed on eight of the 40 passes where he was listed as the main defender in coverage, which is a pretty good ratio.

http://www.footballo...ting-stats-2011

Funny thing, on each of those three plays, McKelvin was right there but the quarterback made a perfect throw and the receiver made an exceptional catch. It was like he was beaten by one inch on each of those three plays.

I'll actually say three nice things about Leodis:

1) When his lawn was vandalized after the fumbled kickoff which lost us the home opener to the Cheatriots***, he was very cool about it and handled the situation very well.

2) When he was benched last year the reports were that he went to the coaching staff and asked them to let him return kickoffs and punts (which he wasn't doing when he was a starting CB). That's how a guy is supposed to respond to a benching.

3) At Candlestick 2 games ago, I went down to the tunnel to cheer the Bills at the top of my lungs as they went to the locker room down 21-3. Three players acknowledged me. Marcell Dareus nodded his head at me, Kelvin Sheppard gave me a thumbs up, and Leodis gave me a fist pump and nodded his head.

4) Actually there's a 4th thing. He heard me screaming his name as he prepared to field a kickoff against the Cards and turned around and started grooving to the music and pointing to the crowd.

I think Leodis, regardless of his football abilities is just a cool guy. Pretty humble and simple and straight-forward. At least that's my impression of him.

I don't get that he's only playing good this year because it's a contract year. He's played hard and well every year. Anyone remember the Denver game last year where he set an NFL record for punt return yards in one game at over 150? We just can't get over the Patsies game. Dude's got game. I hope we can re sign him for next year.

Next time they play the Pats he should man up Welker and follow him everywhere just like the Jets do most of the time with Revis. He is the only DB fast/quick enough to stay with him. That leaves Gilmore and Williams to help on Gronkowski. No more Scott against the Pats please.

I don't get that he's only playing good this year because it's a contract year. He's played hard and well every year. Anyone remember the Denver game last year where he set an NFL record for punt return yards in one game at over 150? We just can't get over the Patsies game. Dude's got game. I hope we can re sign him for next year.

Exactly ! People love Drayton and Williams who are half as good as mck. Omg a cb got beat by dez Bryant and AJ green? There's a reason for that good Wrs and qb's make plays sometime Just like if we had a prime time qb Stevie would do to revis bailey etc. Mck is a stud

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I don't think he is playing well because it's his contract year either. He is too enthusiastic to just be doing it for the money. I think he takes pride in his game, and that is something that is lacking on this team. In fact, it might be the biggest missing piece of the puzzle (at least on defense).

I think the Bills need more guys that base their self-worth on their ability to win football games. They don't even have to be the greatest players. In "real life" it's rather sad (I'm sure some will disagree , but I think Jim Kelly, and Daryl Talley fall into this category), but I think that (generally) the best players really can't do anything else! And their ego is entirely dependent on how well they play, and winning games. I don't get that feeling from many on this team. I got it from Whitner, and I get it from McKelvin. It takes some damaged, maladjusted, violent guys to win NFL games. Think Lawrence Taylor... Ray Lewis!

Edited by Geno Smith's Arm

I know i have been slammed for such statements before, but i have always stated that if a team actually put the effort into giving him the coaching treatment like they tried with Fritz this year on his mechanics with special personal training, he could become a superstar. Unlike Fritz, he has all the raw talent he needs. As much as we all personally like Fritz, he just does not have the raw talent to develop like MK does, no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig. He just needs some individual special training to develop better ball skills. He already can stay with the best WRs in the league, step for step. Imagine what he might be capable of with great specialized coaching.

One play in Leodis' career stands out to me as to his desire and gutsiness.

It was last year vs the Titans. He was back for a punt or KO, don't remember. But the kick was short and some other Bill picked it up and started running with it. Leodis ran past the ball carrier and completely pummeled a Titan Line Backer that had to out wiegh him by at least 50lbs. Leodis went back to the bench, but the Titan LB didn't get up. The training staff had to come over and help him up.

That in addition to all the other great plays he's made.

I also think he's a much better DB than given credit for here on TBD. Light years better than Williams. And to my way of thinking should be playing at CB a lot more. Part of the reason for our success on D last week I believe was more Leodis at CB and less of Aaron Williams.

I hope he gets re signed in the off season. We have to keep the talent we do have.

I will always remember him for brining the kickoff out of the endzone and fumbling in the 4th quarter with a 11 point lead against the Pats on Monday night a few years ago.

I'm a big fan of leodis. I've gotten over the fact that he's a bust. He wasn't worthy of a first rd pick and is a serious liability in coverage at times. I love him as a return man. He's a dynamic return man and can really help our team on special teams. I doubt he resigns here because I'm sure he wants to play some CB, not just return kicks and punts....but I'd be happy if he returns. He's fun to watch with the ball in his hands. Just not so much with the ball being thrown at him.

Any notion McKelvin is playing well "because it's a contract year" is complete hooey. The guy has always tried hard, and as has been noted many times, he is rarely "toasted" in coverage. If the guy had even 50% of Revis' ball skills, he'd be considered a shutdown corner.

I hope Leodis continues his resurgence, and the Bills re-sign him after the season.

• 1 month later...

He could have been really great if he had any football sense at all.

100% correct.

If Leodis had any vision, let alone a brain, he might have been the best return man ever. He is just SOOO fast, and does have moves. To his big time credit, he now clutches te football.

As a corner, he was worthy of a 4th or 5th round pick. He was drafted at #11 buy the idiotic, loser duo of Levy/Jauron. No surprise there. The thing to watch now is whether or not Nix is stupid enough to draft another 1st round corner. Sadly, no amount of stupidity would really shock me at this point.

Edited by Bill from NYC

100% correct.

If Leodis had any vision, let alone a brain, he might have been the best return man ever. He is just SOOO fast, and does have moves. To his big time credit, he now clutches te football.

As a corner, he was worthy of a 4th or 5th round pick. He was drafted at #11 buy the idiotic, loser duo of Levy/Jauron. No surprise there. The thing to watch now is whether or not Nix is stupid enough to draft another 1st round corner. Sadly, no amount of stupidity would really shock me at this point.

The bigger issue is whether or not they can pick a good football player regardless of position. If they draft ANY position and that player ends up as poor a pick as McKelvin turned out to be, it just doesn't matter if it's a failure at QB, OL, DL, LB, etc etc etc.

Taking a CB was not stupid. Taking one that didn't pan out was. There's a difference.

GO BILLS!!!

In 2012 He has played well in every game but Jets FWIW...............he has stunk in the past.

I wouldn't put the didn't pan out status on him just yet hes 70% of the way there but still has small window to become a player IMO.

Defense quit being record breaking bad once Aaron Williams was switched for McK. Not saying its because of him but he's been good enough.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

In 2012 He has played well in every game but Jets FWIW...............he has stunk in the past.

I wouldn't put the didn't pan out status on him just yet hes 70% of the way there but still has small window to become a player IMO.

Defense quit being record breaking bad once Aaron Williams was switched for McK. Not saying its because of him but he's been good enough.

I can buy this. I'm willing to give McKelvin another shot for two reasons: his return ability is undeniable and he's a weapon and for all the demotions he's had over the years, he has never once griped about it. Instead, he made himself a valuable contributor on special teams. That says a lot about his character if you ask me. So, yeah. Let's give him another shot for sure.

GO BILLS!!!