Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wonder how fast some of these "speed" guys would be in full pads and helmet. Anyone can have a decent 40 time butt naked.

I wouldn't be shocked if Teo was faster than some of the better times when suited up.

Edited by #34fan

I just wonder how fast some of these "speed" guys would be in full pads and helmet. Anyone can have a decent 40 time butt naked.

I wouldn't be shocked if Teo was faster than some of the better times when suited up.

Not a great argument. If anyone can have better times in underwear then why didn't Teo?

Anyone who watches him play has been very aware that he isn't speedy. Teo excelled by knowing his assignments, reading the offense, and taking good angles. He has very average speed and showed as much. It's not a surprise.

Not a great argument. If anyone can have better times in underwear then why didn't Teo?

Anyone who watches him play has been very aware that he isn't speedy. Teo excelled by knowing his assignments, reading the offense, and taking good angles. He has very average speed and showed as much. It's not a surprise.

I'm just going by what I saw him do in pads... He was a very disruptive player, and affected opposing QB's decisions. He's instinctive, with tremendous anticipation. You can't see any of that chit when a guy is sprinting 40 yards in a jockstrap.

I don't care if Teo is a drag queen. I care if he can play. Based on the Bama game I have my doubts. His "3 years of excellent work" means nothing to me because I did not see him play those games and I have good reason to doubt his reports as biased. I saw the Bama game. He looked like how I would look if I played MLB. That wasn't just a bad day, it was getting your pants pulled down exposed at mid field.

PTR

This. The weirdness with his "dead" imaginary "girlfriend" isn't great (shows some shaky mental skills?) but he should have fallen like a stone in any draft board after he totally crapped the bed in the BIGGEST GAME OF HIS LIFE!

He needs to look GOOD in these workouts. 4.8 ain't it. It's just more evidence that he may be a solid leader, etc., but he's not an elite athlete - and at #8 how do you even dream of taking an ILB who isn't elite??

I seriously wonder if the release of the whole "girlfriend" fiasco wasn't intentional to distract everyone from his horrible onfield performance.

I'm just going by what I saw him do in pads... He was a very disruptive player, and affected opposing QB's decisions. He's instinctive, with tremendous anticipation. You can't see any of that chit when a guy is sprinting 40 yards in a jockstrap.

Only thing he was disrupting in the BIGGEST GAME OF HIS LIFE was the underside of Alabama cleats as they stomped all over him.

After watching the Alabama game, and others, he looks slow. He is generally in the right position to make plays, but he played behind a great DL. He can't shed blockers or cover. I'd pass on him.

This was meant to be humorous, right? :wallbash:

The wheels on the bus go round and round.

:thumbsup:

we already know the answer though: "Far from it."

The second part of his answer would be, "not that there's anything wrong with that."

A year or so back someone started a Glee thread and surprisingly several posters came forward to express what a great show they thought it was.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not to interrupt the Junior High fest, but does anyone know what the average MLB runs?

If T'eo continues to slip, he starts to fall into the range of the Bills' 2d round pick.

Based on median and mean averages, it looks like Manti's in the slower half of the 12 ILBs that ran. However his 10 yard split was pretty good as was his shuttle. His expected average 40 times mean that he's not gonna be an elite 3-down linebacker. But if he has the instincts there's no reason he can't be a good 2-down linebacker.

http://footballsfuture.com/2013/combine/ilb.html

I agree that it makes no sense to ask him in private because he'll say the same thing he did in public.

The actual words are almost immaterial IMO.

Interviewers will be looking at the facial expressions, body language, tone of voice, more than the words.

Teo is a leader and who will not leave his teammates behind.

:)

At 4.80 in the forty, you are correct.

Ha. I just saw dude ran a 4.8. Shoot, even I ran a 4.61 and I was a freaking OL/TE and DE.

That's a pretty presumptuous thing to say.

I don't know... I mean, yes, it is. However, this is a billion dollar industry and when looking at it as a business decision how could a GM justify bringing a gay man on the team when it could bring more headlines, distrust and outrage? If he went to the Niner's I would be worried that it would become a weekly deal during training camp where his sexuality comes in to conversation with the comments from that idiot. There is just a lot of :censored: he would have to work though. It's not fair, it's not right, but it is that way. Having to overcome the initial sting, the bold headlines and the constant rumors would be huge.

Of course, it could easily die down. And if I ran a team and any player commented about it speaking out against it I would cut them immediately.

Edited by jboyst62

Tape. Or it never happened.

Dude, I ran college track a short while at a D1 school. In High school I was the MVR of the team, as big as I was - I could run like the wind. My 100m, and 400m times were very good, my 110mH and 30mH were school records, etc...

edited: to avoid confusion saying I was any good against D1 college guys...ha

Edited by jboyst62

I don't care if Teo is a drag queen. I care if he can play. Based on the Bama game I have my doubts. His "3 years of excellent work" means nothing to me because I did not see him play those games and I have good reason to doubt his reports as biased. I saw the Bama game. He looked like how I would look if I played MLB. That wasn't just a bad day, it was getting your pants pulled down exposed at mid field.

PTR

This means it's time to watch more game film, not whatever you thought it meant.

Te'o's abilities completely aside, I'm absolutely astonished that you believe any valued opinion on player performance could be formed on the content of a single game film. High school coaches don't do that, never mind Vince Lombardi.

Well then let me explain how I come to my opinion. Honestly I don't follow college football like many of you. I had heard the name Manti T'eo because he was so hyped, knew he was a Heisman candidate, etc. So I made it a point to watch the BCS championship because I wanted to see what this kid was all about.

I don't have to tell you he was a colossal disappointment. Maybe he was god's gift to football up to that point. I don't know. What I do know is this guy, in that game, against talent close to what he would face in the NFL, looked like he didn't even belong on the field.

The whole girlfriend thing was funny but didn't alter my opinion of his performance. After the Aaron Maybin fiasco, I can't believe so many here are willing to give T'eo a pass. Sure, players have bad games. But do players forget how to play football? Sorry, that T'eo performance was so abysmal it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't get drafted at all.

PTR

Dude, I ran college track a short while at a D1 school. Was the MVR of the team, as big as I was - I could run like the wind. My 100m, and 400m times were very good, my 110mH and 30mH were school records, etc...

I like you even more than I did 5 minutes ago.

Well then let me explain how I come to my opinion. Honestly I don't follow college football like many of you. I had heard the name Manti T'eo because he was so hyped, knew he was a Heisman candidate, etc. So I made it a point to watch the BCS championship because I wanted to see what this kid was all about.

I don't have to tell you he was a colossal disappointment. Maybe he was god's gift to football up to that point. I don't know. What I do know is this guy, in that game, against talent close to what he would face in the NFL, looked like he didn't even belong on the field.

The whole girlfriend thing was funny but didn't alter my opinion of his performance. After the Aaron Maybin fiasco, I can't believe so many here are willing to give T'eo a pass. Sure, players have bad games. But do players forget how to play football? Sorry, that T'eo performance was so abysmal it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't get drafted at all.

PTR

When you see film that doesn't mesh with what you think you know about a player, it's time to watch more film.

If you can't be bothered, then don't act offended when your willful ignorance is showcased after you offer opinions anchored in... well... nothing...

i was a fan of him. But I was naive.

The 4.8 sealed it.

I have the right to change my opinion when i am able to gather more information

Pass.

Another stupid comment from someone OBSESSED with the 40. A LB runs a 4.84 and he sucks but an undersized WR runs a 4.24 and he's the talk of the town. In case you didn't realize this is football. Not a track meet.

This is why i hate the 40 yd dash. Most overrated event at the combine. What does it show? Nothing. If anything, they should be made to run a 40 yd dash with full pads and from a 2 point stance. That would actually show something

Edited by FleaMoulds80

Jboyst > Manti Teo Sounds like the speed is still there.

I don't watch a to of college football but I agree with PTR on the Teo issue

Only game I watched and he got juked out of his shoes way too often.

That being said good luck to him if we somehow draft him.

I heard some scouts say he's a poor mans Luke Keuchly...doesn't sound like a big deal.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Jboyst > Manti Teo Sounds like the speed is still there.

I don't watch a to of college football but I agree with PTR on the Teo issue

Only game I watched and he got juked out of his shoes way too often.

That being said good luck to him if we somehow draft him.

It is worse then that. He got beat on such easy issues and was exposed by Saban.

I need to go look at his benching. If he didn't put it up over 12 times then the guy is gonna fall far.

When you see film that doesn't mesh with what you think you know about a player, it's time to watch more film.

If you can't be bothered, then don't act offended when your willful ignorance is showcased after you offer opinions anchored in... well... nothing...

If I'm willfully ignorant then you need to get a hold of the press that think T'eo combine is killing his draft chances. Seems I'm not the only one who feels the guy is a hype.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Another stupid comment from someone OBSESSED with the 40. A LB runs a 4.84 and he sucks but an undersized WR runs a 4.24 and he's the talk of the town. In case you didn't realize this is football. Not a track meet.

This is why i hate the 40 yd dash. Most overrated event at the combine. What does it show? Nothing. If anything, they should be made to run a 40 yd dash with full pads and from a 2 point stance. That would actually show something

I think "stupid" is a tad harsh. If the 40 yd dash meant nothing, I'm certain people qualified far more than you would remove it. See how I did that? Rebuking what you said without calling you stupid? Try it.

The feeling is spreading. You need to get busy straitening these people out.

PTR

From your own link: Te'o has to hope now that teams fall in love with his non-Alabama film, which is superb, and he has a better workout on March 26 at Notre Dame's pro day.

I also noticed you missed the coach that referred to him as "a rock star" after interviews

I hate how polarized most people are. He's a talented kid that's not a game breaker. Why is that so hard for both sides to settle on?

Edited by NoSaint

Thanks.

I was suggesting that a great deal of information was accumulated as i reformed my opinion about the kid. And then his most recent performance at the combine reassured me that i was not on board with him at eight.

OBSESSED IS A WORD I WOULD HARDLY DESCRIBE MYSELF IN ANY CATEGORY NOR WOULD MOST OF MY PEERS.

Although i do understand your point.

but you certainly are a wanker. on a good day

Sir

Thanks.

I was suggesting that a great deal of information was accumulated as i reformed my opinion about the kid. And then his most recent performance at the combine reassured me that i was not on board with him at eight.

OBSESSED IS A WORD I WOULD HARDLY DESCRIBE MYSELF IN ANY CATEGORY NOR WOULD MOST OF MY PEERS.

Although i do understand your point.

but you certainly are a wanker. on a good day

Sir

He's never really been in the discussion at 8. What do you think at 41 is the only real talk here

I think "stupid" is a tad harsh. If the 40 yd dash meant nothing, I'm certain people qualified far more than you would remove it. See how I did that? Rebuking what you said without calling you stupid? Try it.

you certainly must have deep resentful built up over years, anger issues, Fig.

May i suggest you tone it down. Some of us folk are especially sensitive.

:flirt:

He's never really been in the discussion at 8. What do you think at 41 is the only real talk here

Sure he was Saint. He was mocked for us when mocking was up and coming. Along with a whole lot of others.

Of course he has fallen since the bama game.

i wouldnt take him at 41 at this point. i dont think he will transition well.

just me

Edited by 3rdand12

you certainly must have deep resentful built up over years, anger issues, Fig.

May i suggest you tone it down. Some of us folk are especially sensitive.

:flirt:

Sure he was Saint. He was mocked for us when mocking was up and coming. Along with a whole lot of others.

Of course he has fallen since the bama game.

i wouldnt take him at 41 at this point. i dont think he will transition well.

just me

That's cool - so was clausen. Does that mean the nfl thought he's a top 10 prospect?

This 40 time isn't shocking to anyone watching him. The media built him too high now they need to tear him down to get to an accurate spot.

From your own link: Te'o has to hope now that teams fall in love with his non-Alabama film, which is superb, and he has a better workout on March 26 at Notre Dame's pro day.

I also noticed you missed the coach that referred to him as "a rock star" after interviews

I hate how polarized most people are. He's a talented kid that's not a game breaker. Why is that so hard for both sides to settle on?

Here's why: because T'eo was being touted as a Top 10 pick. At that level you have to be the kind of player who can start day 1 and have an impact. The NFL is not easier than Alabama.

Again, I am stunned that the Teo fans act like the BCS championship was just a bad day at the office. I'm equally stunned that people who think that he's still worth a 2nd or 3rd pick. If a guy can't play, he's not worth any pick.

It's just my opinion. We'll see on draft day. Then we'll see what he does in the NFL, assuming he makes it.

PTR

That's cool - so was clausen. Does that mean the nfl thought he's a top 10 prospect?

This 40 time isn't shocking to anyone watching him. The media built him too high now they need to tear him down to get to an accurate spot.

No that certainly doesn't.

How would we the fans know that ?

He has been a media darling and we have been manipulated.

It's not been nice to watch. He is a good football player who has gotten turned around. As you mention by the media. kind of a shame.

I did not have expectations but his combine did not help him imo