Any chance the Bills re-sign Merriman...

Justice

Any chance the Bills re-sign Merriman after week 1? It makes a lot of sense to do so. His contract will not be guaranteed and we can get him at a reduced price. I, for one, would like to see the Bills make this happen.

Any chance the Bills re-sign Merriman after week 1? It makes a lot of sense to do so. His contract will not be guaranteed and we can get him at a reduced price. I, for one, would like to see the Bills make this happen.

It would be nice to see him back on the Bills IR...

It would be nice to see him back on the Bills IR...

LOL!!!

Really though, if Nix wasn't lying when he said SM was healthy and only cut him out of respect to give him a chance to start on another team I wouldn't mind it if we suffered an injury to one of our DEs. But that would be about it.

I don't think that's a game Chix and Nailey play. If they thought Merriman were better in our system than the players they kept, either right now or in potential, they would have kept him. They aren't going to cut Moore or Carrington to bring back Merriman, and they aren't going to short-change other positions to pad the DL. If someone is injured, maybe.

I don't think Merriman is finished, and as for other teams, I think they may well be waiting until after week 1. There are teams that are thin on DL or OLB where he'd be an upgrade.

To me it makes no sense, from the get go here in Buffalo he was playing a position he wasn't suited to play and had experience playing. In addition it probably is the deepest position on the roster. I don't recall the timing of his signing the contract, but I believe it was before free agency started. I'll go out on a limb and say that at time they signed him, if they knew they were going to a 4-3 and they knew they were going to sign Mario Williams and Anderson, that contract never would have been signed, or maybe they would have offered him half of what they did. Likely if Merriman knew these things were going to happen, he never owuld have signed an extension, particularly going to the 4-3

I would assume (and he has intimated) that a few teams were interested in him. They probably didn't offer more than the league minimum and he probably wanted to wait until a team he wanted to play for, or a different team that told his agent he may be able to get a little money. And that conversation never came. Now after game one, or after someone is hurt, some team will kick his tires. I doubt it will be the Bills. He will likely have to play for vet minimum though and swallow his pride a little, and then prove himself on the field.

I think part of the Bills decision was based on money, as a back-up he wasn't worth 4 million. Part of it really was the young guys they wanted to keep, specifically Kyle Moore, who really impressed them. But even more so that the other ends were all 5+ year veterans. With Mario, Mark Anderson, and Kelsay, those are three older players at that position and no young guys developing (although neither Mario or Anderson should slow down one bit in the next few years).

If 1 or 2 guys go down with an injury, and Merriman is still out there, you'd think they would re-sign him. He would be the best option (unless there's more to this story than we know, because I'm not sure why he was cut in the first place).

Roster limits IMO

1) seeing almost as much from a couple young guys with high potential ceiling - a young guy who can be developed will always be kept if he is playing around the level of a vet

2) questionable injury history, even though he can still play - not up to his previous level. Keep a young healthy player over an older, oft-injured player

3) not best fit for our scheme - Merriman is a better 3-4 OLB than 4-3 end

I think similar logic applied to Edwards.

I'm torn - on the one hand, I think it's promising that the Bills feel able to cut strong veterans who can play football and contribute

On the other hand, I hope we're keeping the right guys as backups.

Edited by Hopeful

Did the Bills switch back to a 3-4?

And is Merriman the player from 2006?

If you answered 'no' to one or both of these questions, you have your answer....

If you can tell me the specific differences and responsibilities between a 3-4 rush OLB and a 4-3 rush DE you may have a point.

2007 he had 12.5 sacks, btw.

I understand the fiscal side of this argument, but if he had anything left in the tank buddy and co. Never would have cut him....

Unless we have some catastrophic injuries to our line you will never see him back in buffalo, possibly even the nfl.

I was wondering the same thing, I have a hard time believing he is done.... which is probably just denial on my part.

If he had some gas left in his tank, a pass rush needy team (which are plenty around) would have grabbed him by now. Merriman is done.

why would the sign merriman back? he's got nothing no other team will take him why should the bills be the only dumpster divers that give that pile of trash a job

just keep him on the roster forever maybe he'll have a resurgence in his 40s