Thursday Night Football sucks

billsfan89

This year week 5 will start Thursday night football. And personally I think it sucks. Not only for Fantasy Football (Having to set lineups on Thursday), but also because its only on the NFL network something not every cable provider has, and because it further dilutes the product by spamming games out during the week.

On top of that Thursdays in the fall have a lot more viewing options than Saturday's or Sundays and even Mondays. I freaking hate it, its such a money grab by the NFL to promote its network. Half the time I forget games are on because I don't associate Thursday's with football. This year its even worse, its pretty much for the whole year as opposed to just annoying me for the tail end of the season.

What's everyone's take on the extension of Thursday Night games?

I don't get the diluted product argument even a little. Getting to see more games is good. I like watching more games.

I don't love attending the games though. Rush out of work then tired on Friday. I like to have a real day for the experience of attending.

I don't get the diluted product argument even a little. Getting to see more games is good. I like watching more games.

I don't love attending the games though. Rush out of work then tired on Friday. I like to have a real day for the experience of attending.

It means 3-4 days during the week we have football on for most of the year. What's appealing about football is that its a lot less of a time commitment than other sports. Its only two days a week. But now its 3 days a week and once Saturday games start its going to be 4 days a week.

At least when Thursday games were confined to the end of the season it wasn't that bad but having to follow games 3-4 days a week for most of the season sucks. It also makes Monday Night Football seem less special. It was kind of a stand out but with Thursday going most of the year that's kind of lost its shine.

Edited by billsfan89

It means 3-4 days during the week we have football on for most of the year. What's appealing about football is that its a lot less of a time commitment than other sports. Its only two days a week. But now its 3 days a week and once Saturday games start its going to be 4 days a week.

At least when Thursday games were confined to the end of the season it wasn't that bad but having to follow games 3-4 days a week for most of the season sucks. It also makes Monday Night Football seem less special. It was kind of a stand out but with Thursday going most of the year that's kind of lost its shine.

So you'd prefer the game is unwatchable on Sunday instead of ignoring it on Thursday?

I would agree attending the games isnt as good as a Sunday game, but the same can be said for the Monday games.

I think having more football games seperatly is good. It gives a chance to see more football. But I would agree that it sucks for people who don't have nfl network. It puzzles me that so many cable stations are able to get with cable providers, but nfln has so much trouble. The Thursday night games could be huge if they just expanded on giving more access to nfln

Now that is just silly. It isn't like they are playing more games. They are just allowing you to see more games

For Thursday night games they set the schedule up so every team is on once. 15 weeks of games with a total f 17 games....if you eliminate the years opener that is 16 games with each appearing once.

The nfl is trying to market it's own network to get it on the lower tier of cable.

The local markets aren't locked out of games but secondaries are which shouldn't be the case.

As a result of their onstraints of having every team you get some duds for games. Many of these game on wouldn't have made it anywhere but the traditional packets.

Why do you not get nfl network...ask your cable company?

So you'd prefer the game is unwatchable on Sunday instead of ignoring it on Thursday?

No its just that I like having Sunday and Monday to be my football days. Having a game on Thursday means its another day that I have to pay attention to football and as much as I love it, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Its not enough that I give them my Sundays for half the year and my Monday Nights too but now they want Thursdays? As I said I like it more so as an end of year thing as opposed to a mostly year round thing. Throw in the Saturday games and it just gets to be too much for me.

Just my preference.

No its just that I like having Sunday and Monday to be my football days. Having a game on Thursday means its another day that I have to pay attention to football and as much as I love it, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Its not enough that I give them my Sundays for half the year and my Monday Nights too but now they want Thursdays? As I said I like it more so as an end of year thing as opposed to a mostly year round thing. Throw in the Saturday games and it just gets to be too much for me.

Just my preference.

You could just.... Not watch.

For Thursday night games they set the schedule up so every team is on once. 15 weeks of games with a total f 17 games....if you eliminate the years opener that is 16 games with each appearing once.

The nfl is trying to market it's own network to get it on the lower tier of cable.

The local markets aren't locked out of games but secondaries are which shouldn't be the case.

As a result of their onstraints of having every team you get some duds for games. Many of these game on wouldn't have made it anywhere but the traditional packets.

yea ive asked Time Warner why we dont NFL network, their answer "Sir, shove the NFL Network up your ass"

they dont give a **** if we cant watch football games...what is my option? pay more for dish network/satellite TV that craps out in the buffalo weather? no thanks...ill just suffer and miss thursday night because time warner blows donkeys - believe me, I wish there a viable option other than Time Warner (Verizon FIOS would be amazing, but they arent in my area yet)

Like those other folks said, if it's not one of your must-see teams, just don't watch. Read about it on Friday.

It sucks that those cable companies may not carry it, but just keep complaining to them. Or get DirecTV.

If you do fantasy football, well, hell, that's your problem.

This year week 5 will start Thursday night football. And personally I think it sucks. Not only for Fantasy Football (Having to set lineups on Thursday), but also because its only on the NFL network something not every cable provider has, and because it further dilutes the product by spamming games out during the week.

On top of that Thursdays in the fall have a lot more viewing options than Saturday's or Sundays and even Mondays. I freaking hate it, its such a money grab by the NFL to promote its network. Half the time I forget games are on because I don't associate Thursday's with football. This year its even worse, its pretty much for the whole year as opposed to just annoying me for the tail end of the season.

I agree with you 100% Been making the same arguments for a while now, but I feel like we're in the minority, and that most people like the idea of Thursday night football.

It kills me because I never remember that there are games on Thursday, and even if I did, I don't have the time to watch some random NFC west divisional Thursday night game.

The next step will be Saturday night games...

More Thursday is the NFL is flexing some muscle. They want to get cable providers to cave in as complaints stack up.

As a Time Warner cable customer, I wish they would hurry up and cave in.

My problem with Thursday, Sunday and Monday night games is that they run too late for me. I have to get up early for work, so if I don't really care too much about the game, I'm usually done by halftime.

As a Time Warner cable customer, I wish they would hurry up and cave in.

My problem with Thursday, Sunday and Monday night games is that they run too late for me. I have to get up early for work, so if I don't really care too much about the game, I'm usually done by halftime.

Which is still a half more than available if played in the Sunday early slot against 7 games.

I tend to catch bits and pieces of Thursday and Monday, but I'm not in "can't miss" mode typically.

Yeah,complaining about Thursday night football because of fantasy football is silly

Completely. It seems as if his only real problem is that he has to set his fantasy football lineup.

I love thursday night football. Thank you nfl, I appreciate you giving me another night to watch your amazing product.

You could just.... Not watch.

I usually don't so it kind of feels like they are wasting a game and putting it on, on a random night. I just am not a fan, yeah I understand it may not be a big deal for most people but I just don't like it, I think its unnecessary.

I much prefer Thursday over monday night anyway. Pretend you had never heard of monday night football and you got to choose which evening to have a night game on. The very last day anyone would pick is monday. Beginning of the week, the day after you just watched 6 hours of football. MNF is almost as stupid as having the superbowl late sunday nite when the weekend is over and its a work/school day tomorrow.

One NFL game on Th or Fri makes perfect sense and represents the logic I've been wanting from the league for awhile.

Now lets move that superbowl to Saturday at 5 and watch everyone say Gee that was nice......

Back in 1999/2000/2001 they had Thursday night football like every other week and it was on espn. It seemed like back then most of them were division games with good teams. It was pretty cool for me to watch as a young kid.

Compared to now where it's every week, the matchups seem kinda random where everyone is included and nobody gets to watch it.

This thread is easily in the top ten retard threads of all-time.

You don't watch all the games anyway, especially because when the Bills play there are almost always 6-7 games going on simultaneously. And then you complain that there will only be 5-6 games on simultaneously that you aren't watching, because one game will be on Thursday night, which you didn't watch before because their were no games, but now you must watch even though you wouldn't have watched it on Sunday?

Got it.

Tards.

There's nothing special about Monday Night Football.

Matter of fact, it shouldn't be called Monday Night Football anymore. It died years ago.

Super Bowl should be moved to Saturday,they have a bye in-between no reason to have it be a work day the next day.

Exactly, can you imagine the parties? I have been saying that for years.....We used to host a SB party, but everyone bailed immediately after the game ended (for obvious reasons). Having it on a Saturday would be an all day and night party...

Just my preference.

Wah wah wah start the damn season!

You with a Marty Broduer avatar.

Cmon man!!! Hockey is often 4 games in one week for a team if they catch a bad break in the schedule. So you with the Marty/Martean just stop it!

p.s. after re reading your original post as a fan of all sports let me just say suck it! Get over your issues and enjoy the games. Even if she is telling you things that you should be doing etc. etc. etc. LOL

Sorry I like thurdays bc its more football, I'm waiting for every night Football!!!

Now if we can just get Tuesday, Wednesday night football so I can ensure a divorce as college is awesome on Friday night and Saturday's. All kidding aside, I like it as it's another fun night if you have the time. I don't live in buffalo so I have to use direct tv for the ticket.

Several of these games are not marquee so it's not that we might watch every week. For me I fly back home from business trips so I miss most of them anyway.

Go Bills!

I just think the short work week for NFL teams is stupid. Why not Friday night Football? Who cares about HS football, if your kid is playing HS ball you're going no matter what, and with DVR's you can alway record the NFL game if there's a HS game you want to go see. Plus HS games start at 7/7:30, if the pro game started at 8:30, you could get home in time to see the 2nd half, if not more.

This thread is easily in the top ten retard threads of all-time.

You don't watch all the games anyway, especially because when the Bills play there are almost always 6-7 games going on simultaneously. And then you complain that there will only be 5-6 games on simultaneously that you aren't watching, because one game will be on Thursday night, which you didn't watch before because their were no games, but now you must watch even though you wouldn't have watched it on Sunday?

Got it.

Tards.

I'm with the OP. With Sunday Ticket, even though I am watching the Bills game, I can flip to the other games or flip over to redzone channel, and have a great feel for the majority of the action going on during the day, which is also helpful from a FF perspective.

It's tough for me to justify to my family setting aside a Thursday night also to watch a single game that is likely of marginal interest.

From everything I've read TWC is willing to pick up NFL network, but on their sports tier. The NFL insists it be placed on the regular tier so everyone can watch it and everyone can pay for it including all those that don't care about football. Certainly you can argue that there are many other channels you don't care about on cable today, but from everything you read, sports is a big chunk of your cable bill, certainly the highest cost per channel. Really can't blame TWC all that much ion this case.

BTW recently I did dump TWC for DTV, though the NFL network had nothing to do with my reason. Admittedly being able to get ST did factor in though the real reason for my switch was the huge in crease every year from TWC.

Time warner needs to suck it up and pay whatever I have considered satellite just so i can get nfl network and nfl sunnday ticket