Is this team significantly better than last year?

Homer

I have been hearing (reading) alot of whining about cuts and who we should have kept and even who we should bring back in. It got me thinking about if this team is significantly better than last year. So lets go down the list.

FO= +0…the same...no changes that I remember (but I am getting old)

Coaching staff= same as above with the exception of bumping DW from LB coach to DC. Plus addition of quality QB coach, I really like this move and I feel like we've gotten better so I'll give it a +1.

QB=the same, same guys with the exception of TJ who no one has seen enough of in a Bills uni. I think this is even +0 although additions to the coaching staff may result in better play.

RB = +1 better. I believe that the RB position got better in 2 ways. Spiller grew up or improved his running and is staying behind his blockers better. He is also a better blocker which allows for more run differentiation.

Fred X is still the man and Choice is probably a decent 3rd back. I’m going to add Dickerson to this list because I saw him listed as FB. I think he is a good pick up and can catch the ball out of the backfield or off the LOS. All in all +1.

WR= +0 (even). I struggled with this one, although I don’t think keeping 4 wr’s plus Smith is an issue due to the fact that we have Chandler, Fred X, Spiller and maybe Dickerson who also offer targets. Im looking forward to TJ Graham coming along but at this point we haven’t seen enough of him. This group may be addition by subtraction…I was never that fond of Ruvell Martin.

Oline= +1. I say this because I feel Cordy Glen is an upgrade over Bell and the overall depth is better, especially with blocking scheme. I feel Cordy has been thrown in the fire and has done relatively well against top DE’s Orackpo in Washington and Jared Allen of Vikes. Much of this depends on Eric Pears and whether Hairston needs to take his place for injury issues.

Dline +2. I think we’ve made our biggest improvement on the team in this area in a number of ways. First I think switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 suited our players better allowing us to put both Dareus and K. Williams on the line at the same time and have suitable depth in Johnson and Carrington although many would have wished to keep Heard or Gilbert instead of Carrington. I think in this case they FO kept Carrington for several reasons…1, he was a Bills third round pick and the FO wants this to work out…2, he has played everywhere except DB and may have become a very versatile player adding to depth. Our pass rush is so much better that the differing teams will have to “pick their poison” in who to double team. We’ve gotten a glimpse of this in pre season with Dareus, Williams and Williams all getting sacks without the help of Anderson who has been off the field since the first game.

LB= +0. Hopefully some of the young guys will come on and/or the Dline will make the LB,s look better but I don’t see a huge amount of increase nor do I see any fall off from last season.

DB’s= +1. I think Florence was cut for a reason more than just salary and will not be back…apparently Denver felt the same. I think that when McGee is healthy he is the best corner on the team and always plays his heart out either in pass or run support. I think Gilmore is an important addition and will go a long way to making this team better but may have general rookie mistakes along the way. I feel McKelvin has finally found his spot and has become very valuable on ST. Byrd and Wilson should have a good year but I’m kind of worried about fall off from Wilson who is getting older and I’m starting to wonder about Searcy’s ability to come on not to mention we kept Howell who I understand had a good preseason but still have to think (who?) when ever his name is mentioned. I kind of worry about AJ Williams and feel he may be the weak link which may not matter as much if McGee is healthy. All in all I feel as though the DB’s have gotten better.

ST= +1. I think Potter adds a lot and will challenge Lindel next season for more than just kick offs. This part of the team seems to be in mid season form and is really looking good in all areas.

Overall I see no negatives, although there are some areas we may not have improved on this year, this was an exciting off season and maybe you can’t do it all. I feel the overall talent on this team is much better and we have finally gotten to the point where when we make cuts other teams may pick them up. Take this with a grain of salt as it is all seen through a Homers eyes.

I think the easiest way to judge the Bills level of talent is to look at the players that are being cut. We're not there yet but historically the Bills have been forced to keep players on the roster, guys like Danny Batten and Ruvell Martin, who weren't great football players. The guys that were released had virtually no chance of every being signed to another NFL roster. This year, the Bills released a few guys who actually might get picked up by another team.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

I agree with all of this. I think continuity on offense is a good thing. I believe Fitzpatrick will have a better year when it is all said and done. I also believe Freddy and Spiller will rip off many long runs. Just seeing them in limited preseason action has been exciting.

The way we use the spread creates gaping holes when everything is executed properly, and Spiller has learned how to hit the hole hard first no matter what - and then shift and dance if necessary.

I think that our LB and DB corps will get better as the year goes on. They will definitely benefit from having a great D-line in front of them. But being so young they're will be a learning curve. Prepare for that.

It looks like our O-line and D-line play will be improved. This will allow our skilled position players to post better numbers. If our special teams continue to dominate we will be in every game and hopefully close out most of them.

I have been hearing (reading) alot of whining about cuts and who we should have kept and even who we should bring back in. It got me thinking about if this team is significantly better than last year. So lets go down the list.

Coaching staff= same as above with the exception of bumping DW from LB coach to DC. Plus addition of quality QB coach, I really like this move and I feel like we've gotten better so I'll give it a +1.

QB=the same, same guys with the exception of TJ who no one has seen enough of in a Bills uni. I think this is even +0 although additions to the coaching staff may result in better play.

RB = +1 better. I believe that the RB position got better in 2 ways. Spiller grew up or improved his running and is staying behind his blockers better. He is also a better blocker which allows for more run differentiation.

Fred X is still the man and Choice is probably a decent 3rd back. I’m going to add Dickerson to this list because I saw him listed as FB. I think he is a good pick up and can catch the ball out of the backfield or off the LOS. All in all +1.

WR= +0 (even). I struggled with this one, although I don’t think keeping 4 wr’s plus Smith is an issue due to the fact that we have Chandler, Fred X, Spiller and maybe Dickerson who also offer targets. Im looking forward to TJ Graham coming along but at this point we haven’t seen enough of him. This group may be addition by subtraction…I was never that fond of Ruvell Martin.

Oline= +1. I say this because I feel Cordy Glen is an upgrade over Bell and the overall depth is better, especially with blocking scheme. I feel Cordy has been thrown in the fire and has done relatively well against top DE’s Orackpo in Washington and Jared Allen of Vikes. Much of this depends on Eric Pears and whether Hairston needs to take his place for injury issues.

Dline +2. I think we’ve made our biggest improvement on the team in this area in a number of ways. First I think switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 suited our players better allowing us to put both Dareus and K. Williams on the line at the same time and have suitable depth in Johnson and Carrington although many would have wished to keep Heard or Gilbert instead of Carrington. I think in this case they FO kept Carrington for several reasons…1, he was a Bills third round pick and the FO wants this to work out…2, he has played everywhere except DB and may have become a very versatile player adding to depth. Our pass rush is so much better that the differing teams will have to “pick their poison” in who to double team. We’ve gotten a glimpse of this in pre season with Dareus, Williams and Williams all getting sacks without the help of Anderson who has been off the field since the first game.

LB= +0. Hopefully some of the young guys will come on and/or the Dline will make the LB,s look better but I don’t see a huge amount of increase nor do I see any fall off from last season.

DB’s= +1. I think Florence was cut for a reason more than just salary and will not be back…apparently Denver felt the same. I think that when McGee is healthy he is the best corner on the team and always plays his heart out either in pass or run support. I think Gilmore is an important addition and will go a long way to making this team better but may have general rookie mistakes along the way. I feel McKelvin has finally found his spot and has become very valuable on ST. Byrd and Wilson should have a good year but I’m kind of worried about fall off from Wilson who is getting older and I’m starting to wonder about Searcy’s ability to come on not to mention we kept Howell who I understand had a good preseason but still have to think (who?) when ever his name is mentioned. I kind of worry about AJ Williams and feel he may be the weak link which may not matter as much if McGee is healthy. All in all I feel as though the DB’s have gotten better.

ST= +1. I think Potter adds a lot and will challenge Lindel next season for more than just kick offs. This part of the team seems to be in mid season form and is really looking good in all areas.

Overall I see no negatives, although there are some areas we may not have improved on this year, this was an exciting off season and maybe you can’t do it all. I feel the overall talent on this team is much better and we have finally gotten to the point where when we make cuts other teams may pick them up. Take this with a grain of salt as it is all seen through a Homers eyes.

I pretty much agree.

The coaching change could be more than "+1."

Last year we were all frustrated with Edwards and I'm excited to see what Wanny will do with the defense. That change alone is a +1 and maybe more.

Coach Lee may or may not be another +1. There's a lot of talk about how he's helping Fitz with his mechanics and how Lee's a Wildcat Guru. I'm really not counting on anything but if he lives up the hype, our offense will be more potent.

Sorry, I know this is not going to sit well, but I see a 6 - 10 season. The current front office and coaching staff is not going to take this team to the playoffs, let alone the SB. Nor is Fitz the QB that is going the distance. We have no depth, as much as I love Freddy Jackson he is 32 and coming off an injury. CJ Spiller - for a first round pick still has shown nothing. Granted Wannstadt built a SB defense in Dallas and is definitely a bump up from Edwards, but I still see them giving up plays on third and long. Still waiting to see if Mario comes through, he does have detractors in NO.

A decade of poor drafts and FA aquisitions is still keeping this team average at best.

Last year the linebackers and cornerbacks were weak links. This year there are some new players in those positions that are probably an upgrade, but they are inexperienced and time will tell. The new D-Line should make a huge difference in terms taking some of the pressure off the linebackers and DBs. I am optimistic, but I feel that the middle of the defense is still a work in progress.

agreed

QB=the same, same guys with the exception of TJ who no one has seen enough of in a Bills uni. I think this is even +0 although additions to the coaching staff may result in better

Jackson alone makes this much better, Jackson has had success in this league +2

RB = +1 better. I believe that the RB position got better in 2 ways. Spiller grew up or improved his running and is staying behind his blockers better. He is also a better blocker which allows for more run differentiation.This isn't the Spiller from the beginning of last year its the confident we ended the year with +2

WR= +0 (even). I struggled with this one, although I don’t think keeping 4 wr’s plus Smith is an issue due to the fact that we have Chandler, Fred X, Spiller and maybe Dickerson who also offer targets. Im looking forward to TJ Graham coming along but at this point we haven’t seen enough of him. This group may be addition by subtraction…I was never that fond of Ruvell Martin.r

Just Graham alone is enough, why take 2 or 3 others who have proven they are not NFL caliber +1

agree

Dline +2. I think we’ve made our biggest improvement on the team in this area in a number of ways. First I think switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 suited our players better allowing us to put both Dareus and K. Williams on the line at the same time and have suitable depth in Johnson and Carrington although many would have wished to keep Heard or Gilbert instead of Carrington. I think in this case they FO kept Carrington for several reasons…1, he was a Bills third round pick and the FO wants this to work out…2, he has played everywhere except DB and may have become a very versatile player adding to depth. Our pass rush is so much better that the differing teams will have to “pick their poison” in who to double team. We’ve gotten a glimpse of this in pre season with Dareus, Williams and Williams all getting sacks without the help of Anderson who has been off the field since the first game

maybe a plus three because it takes guys who are ineffective as every snap guys and makes them useful as role players

LB= +0. Hopefully some of the young guys will come on and/or the Dline will make the LB,s look better but I don’t see a huge amount of increase nor do I see any fall off from last season0.5

-0.5 Going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 means Spencer and Kelsay aren't play LB that alone is an upgrade

talent +1, experience -1, with a pass rush +1 = +1

ST= +1. I think Potter adds a lot and will challenge Lindel next season for more than just kick offs. This part of the team seems to be in mid season form and is really looking good in all area

Potter give us a little edge against good returners you aren't going to be able to use them

they are better and a week one win and look out, the downside is depth at certain positions but like most teams they lose their starters the backup is not as good

Edited by CardinalScotts

I think the team is significantly better this year, because it's weakest spot last year - DLine/pass rush - is now it's biggest asset.

The thing that worries me is that so much of the game just comes down to your quarterback.

2008 is the starkest example, I think. When Trent played good, we won. When he was hurt or played bad, we lost.

This team is so Jeckyl and Hyde. Kyle Williams and company is going to create havoc and force mistakes and allow our defense to make big plays and turnovers, however our inexperianced corners and lackuster linebackers are going to allow bug plays to be made. Our offense hasnt changed much as far a personel, more familiarity, chemistry, and some additions to the playbook that come with this should help, but the same inconsistancy is involved at time we look very smooth, like a well oiled machine and then the clutch falls out or a belt frays and we find ourselves with a mess on our hands. Thats what keeps bringing us back is that we have no idea what we have. Uncertain Optimism. This team is a crapshoot everyweek and I love it.

I think the team is significantly better this year, because it's weakest spot last year - DLine/pass rush - is now it's biggest asset.

The thing that worries me is that so much of the game just comes down to your quarterback.

2008 is the starkest example, I think. When Trent played good, we won. When he was hurt or played bad, we lost.

I agree with this 100%. I think that the Bills have generally improved, especially on the DL but unless there is improvement in QB it's not going to result in many more wins. And the QB is the same.

The thing is, Fitz, imo, is better than Trent, Losman, RJ, etc. The difference is, he is able to play professional, NFL football. He's an unusual qb, in that he doesn't really look like one, nor is he extremely accurate. But Fitz is a gamer, can run very well, and he's smart enough to grasp Gailey's system, which is intricate.

Gil Brandt was raving about Gailey today on Sirius. Chan is a well respected offensive mind, who has a system, and really does grasp the modern NFL. Fitz can too, and can implement it. And, Fitz works well with Stevie Johnson. They were scrubs/bench warmers together, and worked out with each other. And they click. Imo, this played a big role in SJ staying here.

I don't have all the answers, but I tell myself that last season, the Marcel Dareus led the team in sacks, and got some of them from the nose. In other words, there was zero pass rush. This will change with the new additions up front. What we desperately need is a lb who can play at this level, other than Barnett. As far as the secondary, one has a right to hope that they will be ok. There are two early second round picks and 2 first rounders back there. And McKelvin is in a contract year, which is fine with me.

In short, we have every right to expect an improved football team, and it starts in 8 days.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this team reminds me of a young ravens team back in the day. the defense will be very good. the offense with fitz is a question mark. would love to see us play a smash mouth game. have fitz manage the game. hell if ravens can win with dilfer as qb, anything is possible.

I agree with this 100%. I think that the Bills have generally improved, especially on the DL but unless there is improvement in QB it's not going to result in many more wins. And the QB is the same.

I hope Bill's analysis is correct about Fitz. But, you summed up what I was saying. Even with all the improvements, the end result may not change.

Vince Lombardi used to hate how important the QB position was in such a team game. It's even more so now.

Sorry, I know this is not going to sit well, but I see a 6 - 10 season. The current front office and coaching staff is not going to take this team to the playoffs, let alone the SB. Nor is Fitz the QB that is going the distance. We have no depth, as much as I love Freddy Jackson he is 32 and coming off an injury. CJ Spiller - for a first round pick still has shown nothing. Granted Wannstadt built a SB defense in Dallas and is definitely a bump up from Edwards, but I still see them giving up plays on third and long. Still waiting to see if Mario comes through, he does have detractors in NO.

A decade of poor drafts and FA aquisitions is still keeping this team average at best.

What!!!??? Troll? You must write for the Richmond Times Dispatch, ie, have no knowledge of football.

this team reminds me of a young ravens team back in the day. the defense will be very good. the offense with fitz is a question mark. would love to see us play a smash mouth game. have fitz manage the game. hell if ravens can win with dilfer as qb, anything is possible.

Where is our Ray Lewis and Ed Reed?

With an improved roster, an easier schedule, and the chance we might remain healthy we still are a 6-10 team...not even an 8-8

Even thought I feel this team is better and applaud Nix's reloading effort over the past 3 years, I feel we are finally in a position to make real strides next year, maybe a QB or LB but maybe we'll see that this team is "for real" and be able to get one of those "luxury picks" and actually feel good about it...unlike the Spiller pick (which I actually liked).

Hopefully the defense is much improved...

If the offense, even with the addtions, remains the same and the Defense with the strong additions is better, then logically the team should be better. The big question is...does fan logic apply to football?

Lets see how the Bills play when they are not the Misfits of 2011.

If the team believes they can sit back and just compete in every game, I have my doubts

After a dozen years of frustration ...who wouldnt?

I believe the Bills are better now than at any time in the last 10 years. I also think our schedule this year is better than its been in probably that long. Although we have improved, personnel-wise, and we're better coached (Wannstedt, Lee), there are still a few spots on this team that have very questionable talent. It's unfortunate that one of them is QB, a position that in and of itself can influence the entire outcome of the season. So - if we see a Fitzpatrick who plays with fewer mistakes, behind a more consistent run game, with better starting field position, and not so often from behind, then I think our success this year will be better than we've had since the music city miracle.

I think this is the year Fitzpatrick takes us to the playoffs, or we'll have another QB next year. Next year's team should be without any major holes - and we should all be looking forward to a few years of playoff football. So, we're better than before and heading upward. I hope Fitz can pull it off - and I hope Gailey helps him with smart game plans and play calling, and we finally see the playoffs!

I think this is the year Fitzpatrick takes us to the playoffs, or we'll have another QB next year. Next year's team should be without any major holes - and we should all be looking forward to a few years of playoff football. So, we're better than before and heading upward. I hope Fitz can pull it off - and I hope Gailey helps him with smart game plans and play calling, and we finally see the playoffs!

This year the players that cannot cut it will be exposed. That being Quarterback, receivers, linebackers, TE 's and good NFL caliber depth. Next year's team should be without major holes, if we have to give up half our picks for a QB prospect then so be it. We will know the remaining weak spots by seasons end. I'm hoping coaching isn't one of them. It's crazy there is no viable quarterback is being groomed for the future.

Gailey's game planning and Fitz's execution are huge in where this team goes this season. I'm still hopeful for 10-6 with playoffs even as a wildcard a bonus. Also, thinking the Jets will be crushed because of Gailey having a lot of time to game plan.

Last year the linebackers and cornerbacks were weak links. This year there are some new players in those positions that are probably an upgrade, but they are inexperienced and time will tell. The new D-Line should make a huge difference in terms taking some of the pressure off the linebackers and DBs. I am optimistic, but I feel that the middle of the defense is still a work in progress.

The linebackers are a god awful mess and will negate all the good that the upgraded DL will generate

Your gonna have to watch a bills game sometime before you post these things "spiller has shown nothing as a first round pick."? From 12/4 to 1/1 CJ killed it I just looked at game stats.

Transpose that to 10-6. Fitzs footwork looks improved (David lee thank u) both Rb's are absolute studs and also you gotta show some love for the dominant dareus/kw tandem.....look around most teams struggle to have one good DT.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I agree with everything except the DBs. I think they should be a 0 or could even be a -1 going into the season based on inexperience. They gave up alot during the preseason. I'm happy with starting Gilmore and Williams, but need to see some plays from them before going above a '0'. Again in the first half of the season, this could be a -1, particularly if McGee isn't healthy

This is about where I am. Good take. The true crux of all of this analysis is: Do we have the Fitz of the first 6 games or the Fitz of the second half of the last season?

If others pick up our cuts, that tells you we might have decent depth, which is critical as otherwise we need to be as healthy as the 49ers were last year to get 10 wins. Watch closely.. if the 49ers have a bunch of guys go on IR like the Jags had two years ago, a suddenly "up and coming" "dominant" team goes 7-9 and everyone wonders what happened. Season ending injuries to 5 or 6 impact position starters (OLine, QB, pass rusher) basically tank your season. Other than the top 6 or 7 teams who have hall of fame type skill players, especially at QB , there is parity in the NFL, with turnovers largely deciding games and severity and number of injuries to key players determining the outcome of seasons. Fitz broke his ribs in the Skins game and was never the same. Jackson, Wood, Williams, Jones all out for the season by mid season. Their backups were not nearly the same player and Fitz had to play as Pigpen is a huge drop off and Fitz just signed a big contract. I know its boring, but its all about turnovers and injuries. Those are the two things the league cannot create parity around. There are only so many impact players to go around and the games cannot be free for alls. Go Bills. Stay healthy!. No turnovers! More takeaways!

Edited by 8and8Forever