Scott Norwood

Do you blame Norwood for the loss?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Is Scott to blame?

• Yes. Kickers should make that kick.
    • No. It was a team loss.

Help settle an argument between a friend and I. He blames Scott Norwood for the Superbowl loss, and says he is the most hated player in Buffalo history. I disagree, and think that most Bills fans don't blame him for the loss. What say you Bills faithful?

Edited by Buff_bills4ever

Not running Thurman to finish up the first half and allowing them to get the ball and score before halftime was the thing that still gets my craw. I don't blame Norwood. We should have won that game walking away.

+1 I blame Jim Kelly. He wouldn't run Thurman more when the Giants let him. They tried to take away his offense and rather than adjust his ego cost us the game.

PTR

The Bills offense was outcoached by Bills Belichick/Parcells and the Buffalo defense let down.

In defense of the offense, they didn't have the ball enough because the Giants offense was grinding it out behind a backup QB. Between the extended halftime and long drives of the Giants, Kelly & company got "cold".

I still think they had enough seconds to run another play to get a few yards closer. Norwood was on grass and a 47 yarder was a 50-50 shot for him from that range.

Blaming Norwood is as unfair as it would have been to credit him completely with the win if he had made it. I think a lot of "fans" forget that the Bills won a lot of games on Norwood's leg and helped them get into the playoffs, or at the very least helped them gain homefield advantage.

A bigger play that sealed the deal was the 3rd and 13 play in which the Giants Ingram got a 1st down on shear will. There were approximately 11 missed tackles by the Bills defense. That was a perfect example of who wanted it more.

I sometimes think it's a shame that the Bills obliterated the Raiders 51-3 in the AFC championship game the previous week. With a large point spread in their favor for the superbowl, I think a lot of the Bills thought they could mail it in and win over the same team they beat at the Meadowlands a few weeks earlier.

The 3rd and 13 and Bills failure to recognize they needed 1 more week of intense hard work are more to blame than "wide right".

Edited by SouthernMan

The Bills offense was outcoached by Bills Belichick/Parcells and the Buffalo defense let down.

In defense of the offense, they didn't have the ball enough because the Giants offense was grinding it out behind a backup QB. Between the extended halftime and long drives of the Giants, Kelly & company got "cold".

I still think they had enough seconds to run another play to get a few yards closer. Norwood was on grass and a 47 yarder was a 50-50 shot for him from that range.

Blaming Norwood is as unfair as it would have been to credit him completely with the win if he had made it. I think a lot of "fans" forget that the Bills won a lot of games on Norwood's leg and helped them get into the playoffs, or at the very least helped them gain homefield advantage.

A bigger play that sealed the deal was the 3rd and 13 play in which the Giants Ingram got a 1st down on shear will. There were approximately 11 missed tackles by the Bills defense. That was a perfect example of who wanted it more.

I sometimes think it's a shame that the Bills obliterated the Raiders 51-3 in the AFC championship game the previous week. With a large point spread in their favor for the superbowl, I think a lot of the Bills thought they could mail it in and win over the same team they beat at the Meadowlands a few weeks earlier.

The 3rd and 13 and Bills failure to recognize they needed 1 more week of intense hard work are more to blame than "wide right".

Since Kelly called all the plays one could argue he was the one outcoached, though I also blame Marv for not talking some sense into Kelly and running Thurman more. No one remembers that Thomas was one broken tackle away from scoring a TD with seconds remaining.

PTR

The bottom line is Norwood no more of less to blame as everyone else. It was a team loss. Thurman was the only one who maintained his playoff intensity and desire to win, remembering that each individual had a responsibility. The rest of the team was out of gas by the time the superbowl was played and were relying on "the other guy" to pick up the slack.

Now, can we move on to a more pleasant topic. Thank-you

+1 I blame Jim Kelly. He wouldn't run Thurman more when the Giants let him. They tried to take away his offense and rather than adjust his ego cost us the game.

PTR

+infinity

The Giants knew Kelly's ego wouldnt let anyone but Kelly be the Hero so they left the running game alone and concentrated on beating the Hell out of the Bills recievers till they didnt want to play anymore.....Even still our talent still almost won but putting Norwood in a spot he never made before wasnt a smart play..They coulda ran another play and made it easier but they didnt and it is all memorialized in history...

It was a team loss, but if any of a handful of plays/items would have been different, so would the outcome. They include:

Biscuit dropping a likely pick-6 right before the Jints went up 20-19;

Talley having 1 arm in a protective sleeve (how many tackles did he miss because he couldn't wrap the guy up - a lot of other people missed tackles that game, but that was the only game all year Talley was missing);

Marv Levy not forcing Kelly to call additional running plays - the Jints had a 2 man front and Thurman was tearing them up;

Bruce not being able to get the ball out of Hostettler's hand in the endzone;

and the officials deciding to review McKeller's catch on the last drive that cost the Bills at least enough time to get 1 additional play that drive.

The Bills had to get 5 more yards. Then I would have blamed Norwood, if he didn't make it.

I remember one time, Kelly saying we did our job - got it to where we wanted to get it. Uh, no you didn't.

I have to lay the blame on Levy. Taking a 12-10 halftime lead the Bills Knew the Giants game plan: grind out the game, and play 8 in pass coverage daring the Bills to run. The last drive of the 1st half and opening drive of the 2nd half were the ball game. Getting out scored 14-0 was the difference. (3:43-0:25 2nd qtr) (15:00-5:31 3rd Qtr) 12:47 of dead time is an eternity in football. Add in a 7:32 drive in the 4th for the Gmen and God only knows what might have been. These 3 drives accounted for 23:37 in game clock.

This being said look at who we were up against: Parcells, Belichick, & Coughlin. Not too shabby that Marv & Co. almost won.

I am long time Bills fan I watched SB 25 some of you where just kids I was in my 20's I knew what that SB meant to the people of Buffalo & fans beyond the city

its over 20 years ago that Scott Norwood missed that kick he has got blamed for losing game but did we really lose that game or did we just run out of time maybe if the defence could have stoppped the Giants from holding the ball for an hour maybe if James Lofton & Andre Reed got opened there is lots of factor but

its time to let it go, its over, you can't keep going back & looking at what you did & didn't do I look back on that time as great we where winners, it was so fun to watch Kelly,Thomas,Smitth,Reed,Talley,Wright,Lofton etc, we had a great collection of players stop looking at the negative look at what we had & be proud

Edited by Matt183

PTR

+1000 hit the nail on the head. Kelly and than Levy for not reigning in his qb

Billycheat also did a great job of slowing down Kuhn with all those injuries to his defense that magically healed seconds later

Help settle an argument between a friend and I. He blames Scott Norwood for the Superbowl loss, and says he is the most hated player in Buffalo history. I disagree, and think that most Bills fans don't blame him for the loss. What say you Bills faithful?

Ask your friend if Norwood played defense. Did either of you watch the game? Our defense couldn't stop them on third down - which is the reason they dominated time of possession. Several missed tackles killed us that game and everyone blames Norwood for the loss. Utter stupidity.

Edited by Azucho98

It really depends on how you look at it.

Yes, had Norwood made the kick, they would have won.

Had the Bills defense held on that early 3rd quarter drive, the game would have been completely different.

Had Bruce Smith stripped Hostetler of the ball in the end zone, it's likely a TD instead of a safety.

Had Lofton broken away from the CB on the 1st quarter bomb, the Bills get a TD instead of a FG.

You can think of 64 different things that - if they went the Bills way - could have changed the outcome of the game. Norwood's kick was just one of them.

PTR

+1

And no, the Bills were NOT outcoached.

Additionally, the Bills players were partying all week prior to the game. The Giants players weren't.

Scott Norwood was a highly accurate kicker over short distances, who was decidedly out of his range with a 47 yard kick on grass. And that's above and beyond the fact that, even today, on average a kicker has only slightly better than a 50% chance of making a 47-yarder.

Norwood could have won the game. That doesn't mean he lost it. Your friend's an idiot, and if i were you I'd consider never speaking to him again.

Edited by DC Tom

+1

Last play of the game. Everything else up to that point led to that one play. He makes it, they win, He misses, they lose. He missed. They lost. He makes it, he's the all-time greatest Buffalo Bill. He missed it, he's the all-time Buffalo Bills goat.

We saw how talented Marv Levy really was in XXV. We saw how weak the AFC was in that time period in XXVI, XXVII, and XXVIII.

Norwoods fault? Are you !@#$ing kidding me? How many touches did TT have that game? He was AVERAGING 9 yards per carry and we used him 15 times?

Outcoached horrendously.

Edited by stevestojan

That game shouldn't even have been close.

Agree 100%.

But if the Bills players were not out partying all week prior to the SB it would have been a blowout Bills victory.

The Giants were disciplined and met curfew so they were fully prepared for that game.

I've always felt that the Bills coaching staff incorrectly gets the blame for not coaching well enough to win SB 25. That's not the case. The team was full of egotistical out of control maniacs.

The Bills were out burning their energy in the Tampa bars while the Giants were resting in their hotel beds.

This is the correct answer. A tackle there and the game could have been completely different...