Bills to acquire Tarvaris Jackson

I remember watching Jackson play in Minnesota and saying I'm glad he wasn't a QB for the Bills. Seriously! :sick:

And you don't think that when you look at VY and Thigpen stinking it up?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vikings wasted a #2 pick on this guy, drafted way higher than he shoud have been... Never did much in Minnesota landed in Seattle and had a decent year last season... But Vince Young had some good years in the past also... Who knows, maybe the Bills know what they are doing... Or maybe it's the same old Bills, doing what they have been doing all of this decade...

http://www.nfl.com/n...o-buffalo-bills

Hope it's not more than a 7th. He was on his way to the waiver wire anyway...

He was definitely going to get cut. Anything higher than a 5th is OK. I guess the Bills can guarantee they will get him if they acquire him by trade. The Vince Young / Tyler Thigpen era is over. Have you ever seen such dreadful backup QB's?

Fitzpatrick,Jackson, Smith. Goodbye Tyler and Vince!

OK.....I VERY rarely do this.....but to the certain poster in the shout today who jumped all over me for suggesting that Nix might be looking another way for a BACKUP QB because Thigpen and Vince Young have not shown well this offseason......well.....maybe you shouldnt be so quick to jump on posters for their opinion......

This is a Buddy Nix type move......a glaring weakness shows up on the team.....it is identified.....and Nix addressed it. And they addressed it with a QB with starting NFL experience.....not over the hill.......this is the KIND of move I thought they might be talking about.....

Because I couldnt provide the name of who they might get....I was attacked......perhaps your knowledge isnt so strong.

No apology needed.....but maybe you should be more respectful of your fellow posters simple opinions.....apparently you do NOT know more.

Actually, with some tweaking I think that this might just be the recipe everyone's missing. Fitz let's the ball go sometimes (Heck almost all the time) way too early. If the OL can give Fitz another half second, maybe one, our boys will get open downfield more. I watched the Jest game just now and even though they look bad, worse than us offensively, we're not too far behind them.

Tim-

What you don't get is that this is exactly the problem with VY and Thigpen...being indecisive and holding on to the ball too long.

Not to mention the 9 fumbles and 5 lost last year. 14 TD's, 13 INT's Then sacked 42 times for -293 yards behind a decent Seahawk line that let Marshawn Lynch rush for 1200+ yards. Now we all know that Lynch is a fright train and doesn't make his own holes or make the first tackler miss like Fred Jackson does.

I think Tarvaris Jackson gets killed behind this Bills line. JMO tho

P.S.Fitz haters will love this move

I don't know if Jackson is any good, but I've seen enough to know that Young and Thigpen aren't. So as long as it's a 6th or 7th, I have no problem with it.

I live in Seattle....Jackson is a very capable backup QB that you can rely on in case of injury. He is a career backup QB who can start if necessary.

Last season in seattle...He threw for around 3,000 yrds and around a rating of an 80.

He started most of 2008.../then in 2009 he had gotten hurt and missed part of the season. Then in 2009 and 2010 in Minnesota was the Favre experiment.

In 2011 Minnesota decided to draft a QB so Jackson was done in minnesota. He went to Seattle because the Offensive Coordinator Bevell from Minnesota was hired in Seattle after being fired along with Childress.

This deal is a fair indication on how far away the Bills are from being serious contenders. They are trading for QB rejects from terrible teams. Does this sound like a deal the true contenders are making?

You apparently don't know what's happening in Seattle at the QB position.

People really freaked out. I am a bit guilty of this as I was initially dismayed at first. But soon logical reasoning and chilling out got the better of me. One poster stated it well that if we had drafted a qb in the 6th who turned out to have Tarvaris' skills then it would be fine but trading for him is a crime. Well if he's an upgrade at back up qb for this cost then why so many complaints? The FO always seems to be trying to upgrade. Some chances work out and some don't. At least they are trying instead of settling for staying pat. I think in a few days after the initial shock most fans will settle down and realize a 6th for a most likely upgrade isn't that bad at all.

this is a good move

fitzpatrick could go down at any moment and right now our backup options are TERRIBLE

tarvares is above average as far as backup qbs go - he's obviously way below average for a starter but for a backup he's pretty solid

a 6th rounder isn't a very high price really and if fitz misses a week or two i think tarvares would give us a little bit better chance of winning than young or thigpen

it's all about winning NOW since we have the softest schedule this season that we will see for a while

Can't anyone be happy that they are at least trying to improve the team at every opportunity? TJ is a great pickup at this point. Instead it's just "whinewhinewhine".

I think the thing that is most disconcerting about this, to me, is that only two weeks before the season starts, it appears the Bills are not comfortable with either of their backup options. Young was bad his first pre-season game, decent his second, and bad his third...that is kind of Vince Young. I would assume, once they get Jackson, they waive Young, and hold on to Thigpen for a month or so, until they feel like Jackson can handle the offense.

You apparently don't know what's happening in Seattle at the QB position.

I was going to mention this or the fact that the Eagles have been considered a true contender for a long time and last year they picked up Young, but now that we do it were just dumb. People need to get over it. Chan and Buddy are trying to lock up the backup QB spot as much as possible.

We're going to spend that much money on a terrible backup QB? Has there been any more of a Ralph move than that? Beyond idiotic.

What?!?!?! OK, he gets blasted as being cheap then blasted when spending $ to try to improve the team?! Two words for ya: shut up!!!

To the folks who say this is bad trading for a qb so late; well that's one way to look at it but you can also just as easily say that Chixley gave VY and Thigpen every opportunity to prove themselves but they couldn't hack it and it was time to cut the cord. Some regimes will hold onto bad performers hoping to prove that they are worth keeping in the end. It's not an easy decision to admit you're wrong but I'm glad the FO is willing to do what is necessary even if it's not popular with some here.

People really freaked out. I am a bit guilty of this as I was initially dismayed at first. But soon logical reasoning and chilling out got the better of me. One poster stated it well that if we had drafted a qb in the 6th who turned out to have Tarvaris' skills then it would be fine but trading for him is a crime. Well if he's an upgrade at back up qb for this cost then why so many complaints? The FO always seems to be trying to upgrade. Some chances work out and some don't. At least they are trying instead of settling for staying pat. I think in a few days after the initial shock most fans will settle down and realize a 6th for a most likely upgrade isn't that bad at all.

My own personal opinion.....

- The bills knew Thigpen wasnt the answer last year

- They took a chance that VY might have something.......but he was slow to grasp the playbook....then in a short amount of time in the preseason game before last he looked decent......but then he fell like a ton of bricks when he got extended time against Pittsburgs backups......his body language and play looked VERY bad.....almost like it was affecting the other players I cant even describe it.......

It was after that game if I wonder Nix and Gailey started talking about what happens if Fitz goes down for any period of time this year......NEITHER of our backups have shown any reason that they might be able to manage the team.....they saw an opportunity get get a QB who was young......was a recent starter.......wasnt a locker room cancer.......who has PLAYOFF experience. And they took a chance with a draft pick so late that they might not even make the team anyway

Personally....I dont understand the complaint......for a 5-6th round pick you are getting a young veteran QB....for your backup......if he was a great QB then he would be starting somewhere.......even the seattle hawk fans think he is the perfect backup QB......so why wouldnt he be the perfect backup QB fo us?

Kudos to Nix for trying to fix a glaring problem on this team the best way he can

OK.....I VERY rarely do this.....but to the certain poster in the shout today who jumped all over me for suggesting that Nix might be looking another way for a BACKUP QB because Thigpen and Vince Young have not shown well this offseason......well.....maybe you shouldnt be so quick to jump on posters for their opinion......

This is a Buddy Nix type move......a glaring weakness shows up on the team.....it is identified.....and Nix addressed it. And they addressed it with a QB with starting NFL experience.....not over the hill.......this is the KIND of move I thought they might be talking about.....

Because I couldnt provide the name of who they might get....I was attacked......perhaps your knowledge isnt so strong.

No apology needed.....but maybe you should be more respectful of your fellow posters simple opinions.....apparently you do NOT know more.

Not quite sure who you were speaking with but it does sound like you deserve an atta boy. I'd also like to point out that this all might not be for just the 2nd string QB. There is A LOT of shuffling at the QB position this offseason and it's no suprise Fitz has looked horrible at times. I'm not saying it will happen but I could really see this and all the other QB moves as Chan and Buddy showing thier hand that they are not sold on Fitz at this point. If Fitz is closer to the end of last season that the beginning of last season, we could see a QB controversy as soon as week 4 IMO. Again, not saying it will happen or I think it's in th works, but the whole situation just sounds fishy.

John, your theory makes sense. I haven't been able to watch any preseason games but from what I've read on here it would be a debacle if Fitz missed some games. Although Tarvaris won't set the world on fire, he's someone who I think Gailey can work with and hold the rains for a bit. I'd be more comfortable with him in than VY or Thigpen for sure. Honestly at this early stage, without even knowing what Gailey can do with him, I'd feel better about upgrading the back up qb situation next off season. But for now this is an upgrade and for cheap imo. I'm fine with this. Some may want Fitz to be upgraded but that is a totally different discussion. I'm curious to see if Gailey will try to mold the offense to Tarvaris' strengths if he happens to be called upon.

My own personal opinion.....

- The bills knew Thigpen wasnt the answer last year

- They took a chance that VY might have something.......but he was slow to grasp the playbook....then in a short amount of time in the preseason game before last he looked decent......but then he fell like a ton of bricks when he got extended time against Pittsburgs backups......his body language and play looked VERY bad.....almost like it was affecting the other players I cant even describe it.......

It was after that game if I wonder Nix and Gailey started talking about what happens if Fitz goes down for any period of time this year......NEITHER of our backups have shown any reason that they might be able to manage the team.....they saw an opportunity get get a QB who was young......was a recent starter.......wasnt a locker room cancer.......who has PLAYOFF experience. And they took a chance with a draft pick so late that they might not even make the team anyway

Personally....I dont understand the complaint......for a 5-6th round pick you are getting a young veteran QB....for your backup......if he was a great QB then he would be starting somewhere.......even the seattle hawk fans think he is the perfect backup QB......so why wouldnt he be the perfect backup QB fo us?

Kudos to Nix for trying to fix a glaring problem on this team the best way he can

Edited by Pilsner

FWIW- I was listening to a broadcast of the Pro Football Weekly radio show, which was recorded on Friday. They were going around to their various "team insiders" and the guy who covers the Packers said that the Packers very much coveted Jackson. They are worried about their backup QB situation as well. Apparently, their coaching staff really likes Jackson... the insider guy said that if, for some reason, they were not able to get Jackson (he speculated they would trade for him, to ensure it) they would have to go to the less attractive "plan b" in Colt McCoy.

The Seahawks insider indicated that Jackson really wanted out of Seattle, and told the Seahawks he would be willing to restructure his contract, for another team, and was willing to take a pay-cut.

this is a good move

fitzpatrick could go down at any moment and right now our backup options are TERRIBLE

tarvares is above average as far as backup qbs go - he's obviously way below average for a starter but for a backup he's pretty solid

a 6th rounder isn't a very high price really and if fitz misses a week or two i think tarvares would give us a little bit better chance of winning than young or thigpen

it's all about winning NOW since we have the softest schedule this season that we will see for a while

In the likely event that Fitz falls flat on his face trying to run our quirky offense, can we bench him and put in T. Jackson? How many wins can we expect in that scenario?

This deal is the most retarded thing I've seen us do in a while. It equals more IN-security at a vital position, and more security for a QB who DOES NOT deserve it.

The only good that comes from this will be the ouster of Buddy, Chan, and their smarty-pants QB. -That's all I'm really looking forward to.

Well I suppose that's one way to look at it. So the Bills would be more secure with VY and Thigpen as backups? You have more optimism in those two than I do.

It's good to know you are looking forward to Buddy and Chan being ousted. I guess they should stop trying to improve the team pronto and give up before yet another informed fan criticizes them.

In the likely event that Fitz falls flat on his face trying to run our quirky offense, can we bench him and put in T. Jackson? How many wins can we expect in that scenario?

This deal is the most retarded thing I've seen us do in a while. It equals more IN-security at a vital position, and more security for a QB who DOES NOT deserve it.

The only good that comes from this will be the ouster of Buddy, Chan, and their smarty-pants QB. -That's all I'm really looking forward to.

Edited by Pilsner

Wow, I just can't understand this perspective at all. Were you feeling this way during the first half of last season?

There's one thing that really bothers me about this trade, if it goes through, and if it doesn't, about the attempt itself. The Bills KNEW - as others here have said - what they had in Thigpen going back to last season. One of their top priorities this offseason should have been upgrading the QB situation. Now, they brought in Young, and I'm guessing they thought he had all the skills of a franchise QB, maybe they could "FIX" him, and just have failed at the attempt. What bothers me is the Bills, for a 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft, could have taken the guy who made Jackson so expendable. We could have had a guy - who by my own, unprofessional eye, looked like he had all the skills of a franchise QB, and who looked as good as Griffin or Luck, minus the 3 or 4 inches - and they pass on him! Now, we're willing to deal a 5th, maybe, or a 6th, for a guy who is nowhere near as talented or capable. Wouldn't the 3rd round pick for a really excellent QB prospect be better spent than all the time, money, and picks we've now invested in what will be a mediocre prospect?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but these guys should have known how good this kid was (Wilson), and they should have been more urgent about bringing in young talent - BUT, I THINK THE BILLS DIDN'T WANT TO BRING IN ACTUAL COMPETITION FOR FITZPATRICK - because they just gave him the mega contract, and they didn't want to make him nervous. I think they wanted to give him one year without having to look over his shoulder to prove himself.

In the end it all points to one thing - the Bills need to get better at evaluating talent, or they're going to pay for it in ways like this, wasting picks, being unprepared for seasons, and having inferior talent.

In the NFL the rich get richer because they tend to see the good fruit where no one else can.

There's one thing that really bothers me about this trade, if it goes through, and if it doesn't, about the attempt itself. The Bills KNEW - as others here have said - what they had in Thigpen going back to last season. One of their top priorities this offseason should have been upgrading the QB situation. Now, they brought in Young, and I'm guessing they thought he had all the skills of a franchise QB, maybe they could "FIX" him, and just have failed at the attempt. What bothers me is the Bills, for a 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft, could have taken the guy who made Jackson so expendable. We could have had a guy - who by my own, unprofessional eye, looked like he had all the skills of a franchise QB, and who looked as good as Griffin or Luck, minus the 3 or 4 inches - and they pass on him! Now, we're willing to deal a 5th, maybe, or a 6th, for a guy who is nowhere near as talented or capable. Wouldn't the 3rd round pick for a really excellent QB prospect be better spent than all the time, money, and picks we've now invested in what will be a mediocre prospect?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but these guys should have known how good this kid was (Wilson), and they should have been more urgent about bringing in young talent - BUT, I THINK THE BILLS DIDN'T WANT TO BRING IN ACTUAL COMPETITION FOR FITZPATRICK - because they just gave him the mega contract, and they didn't want to make him nervous. I think they wanted to give him one year without having to look over his shoulder to prove himself.

In the end it all points to one thing - the Bills need to get better at evaluating talent, or they're going to pay for it in ways like this, wasting picks, being unprepared for seasons, and having inferior talent.

In the NFL the rich get richer because they tend to see the good fruit where no one else can.

Stop with the could have had Wilson nonsense I believe he was looked at as a person who would be available when they picked in the fourth round and so did most draft gurus. Yes Wilson would have been a good pick but I will bet my communion dollars that if the bills had drafted him the third the board would have gone insane or should I say continue the insanity that seems to have affected this place more and more each day

wow.... and on a school night no less.

My GUESS is that what this trade likely means is a large devaluation of the hope that VY or Thigpen is a hoped for answer IF Fitzy goes down AND for immediate use as a back-up for Smith in the Wildcat.

Does anyone disagree with this after 2 INTs for VY against Pitts?

Getting a former starter in this role only likely makes the team better so whats the problem here with this?

The best thing to hope for here is that Gailey sees some specific main problem with Jackson's game that the thinks he can solve (word is that Jackson hangs onto the ball too long and perhaps Gailey will work to have Jackson adopt a 1.2.3 clock in his head and it is emphasized he is better off throwing an incompletion than holding onto the ball after a count of 3 fixes this problem.

Holy cow, some fans that still don't get that the ONLY reason the Bills "quirky" offense works is because of Fitz.

Here is the reason that the Seahawks made him expendable..."But he also had no TD passes, six interceptions and nine sacks in the final two minutes of halves, which helped prompt the club’s search that led it to Wilson and Flynn"

http://blog.seahawks...off-to-buffalo/

Doesn't it strike anyone else as odd that Chan Gailey couldn't get. Trent Edwards- Brian Brohm- Levi Brown- Tyler Thigpen- Brad Smith- Vince Young to flourish in his system. All round pegs being forced into square holes.Thigen has got to be the biggest enigma of the bunch as he played almost full year under Gailey back in 08 when Gailey was the OC for the Chiefs.

I only agree to the first half of that second statement,and only agree with part of the final. I think this is the last year for Chan Gailey / Buddy Nix...unless they manage to get Fitz killed behind that line and in that constantly shotgun passing scheme.

Edited by Fear the Beard

Man Vince Young blew it. I was hoping he make it .

But my question is when will the Bills draft a QB that has some REAL skills.

Trading for some team retreads is getting old to me.

Still not convinced Fitz is the guy. I hope he can do it. The Bills really ought to invest in a QB high next year it seems to be working for lets see..

Bengals, Vikings,Fins( hope not :) ) Jags, Colts, Redskins,Seattle has all drafted QBs for the future.

Our scouts have missed on these guys. :wallbash: