Bills to acquire Tarvaris Jackson

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Vince Young was in the game yesterday, I kept reminding myself, "this is the guy who singlehandedly willed his Univ of Texas team to a championship. This guy was the third overall pick in the draft, embarrassed the Bills when he was a Titan, went to multiple Pro Bowls, and had a bright future ahead of him. This is that guy." Man, he has fallen off.

Lets not forget that almost everyone looks at Chan Gailey as some sort of QB guru, and yet the man has failed with every QB so far (6 is it?)...except Fitz! My take is that is because its all Fitz!

Gailey keeps trying to get QB's to fit his particular scheme and even failed in Buffalo with Thigpen who played under him an entire season back in 08 while Gailey was OC of the Chiefs

The reason VY did pretty well in Tenn was because they were dedicated to building a run first offense. Gailey is more intent on building a top passing game like the Patriots, Saints, Steelers, Chargers have even tho he doesn't that elite QB. What he does have is an elite RB, even possibly 2 elite RB's but all he wants to do is throw it.

I like the decisiveness. When Nix and Gailey realized that Trent Edwards was a bad choice, they benched him and then traded him. Now it seems as though they have realized that Thigpen and Young are bad choices, so they are doing something about it. I don't agree with everything this leadership does, but I am impressed that they are making moves based on performance concerns.

But at this point, every day, heck every hour, counts big time. Need to get him in asap. Cant sit around another 4 days and see who gets cut, and then have to bid against other teams. A 7th (or even 6th) is worth it just to get it done on our own timeline.

I guess I'm just of the mind that, for everyone pointing fingers at fans for panicking, this seems like a panic move in and of itself. If it was really a move that needed to made before cuts, it just seems like it could have been made awhile ago to get the backup into camp with the whole squad.

I didn't see the whole game last night so I'm not aware of how bad Young may or may not have looked, and if that plus presence in camp really has convinced them Young is a goner, I guess it's not the worst thing in the world.

Is Jackson any good at running down guys who intercept his passes?

GO BILLS!!!

See, this is funny.

I guess I'm just of the mind that, for everyone pointing fingers at fans for panicking, this seems like a panic move in and of itself. If it was really a move that needed to made before cuts, it just seems like it could have been made awhile ago to get the backup into camp with the whole squad.

I didn't see the whole game last night so I'm not aware of how bad Young may or may not have looked, and if that plus presence in camp really has convinced them Young is a goner, I guess it's not the worst thing in the world.

Well there you go. Last night was the real and final test, and to say Young failed it is an understatement. Personnel decisions cannot be made quickly, rashly, and on a whim. Unfortunately, you have to give guys the chance to fail and then either improve or fail again.

The fact that it needed to be done probably raised a little concern or "panic" with the FO, but I dont think it was a panic move. It was a bold/strong move by the FO to address a problem and try to find a solution. A lot of other teams would have just chalked it up as "this is what we got now", and went into the season with VY and/or TT. We are doing this to try to get better. That's all.

Pat Moran reporting that TJack is boarding an airplane at the border with illegal roids right now, will be meeting for lunch with Luke Russerts mom tomorrow, followed a showing of a house down the street from Jim Kelly.

Edited by jboyst62

Young by all accounts has had a poor camp. He didn't beat Thigpen out, Thigpen was just worse. Young showed flashes last week, including the beauty of a bomb to TJ. But it's not like he looked really good. They were hoping he would begin to get better and better, and last night, in his big audition, he was amazingly horrible. He just failed big time.

My guess is they simply wanted an upgrade at back-up, combined with the fact that a poorly playing Vince Young on the bench, who is not playing in the game, is not really the type of personality this team wants. That was the most surprising element of his signing to me. The fact that he signed a low level contract with no significant signing bonus if at all, showed both their lack of commitment to him, as well as how he is viewed around the league.

Pat Moran reporting that TJack is boarding an airplane at the border with illegal roids right now, will be meeting for lunch with Luke Russerts mom tomorrow, followed a showing of a house down the street from Jim Kelly.

PFT is reporting that Tavaris Jackson is close to signing a 2-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

Young by all accounts has had a poor camp. He didn't beat Thigpen out, Thigpen was just worse. Young showed flashes last week, including the beauty of a bomb to TJ. But it's not like he looked really good. They were hoping he would begin to get better and better, and last night, in his big audition, he was amazingly horrible. He just failed big time.

My guess is they simply wanted an upgrade at back-up, combined with the fact that a poorly playing Vince Young on the bench, who is not playing in the game, is not really the type of personality this team wants. That was the most surprising element of his signing to me. The fact that he signed a low level contract with no significant signing bonus if at all, showed both their lack of commitment to him, as well as how he is viewed around the league.

I can see all that. It just seems folly to have signed VY in the first place if they had these same reservations, and weren't committed to seeing if they could get anything out of him over the course of the season, esp if Jackson was on their radar. I did think VY looked decent last week and that's why it's surprising, but if he was as bad as you say, it makes more sense, especially following a middling camp.

I'm just dubious of the notion that Jackson represents very much of an upgrade, with this little time to learn the Bills' system. I truly hope Fitz ends up being good and healthy enough to keep him on the bench.

LOL at BillsVet, Spartacus and Joe_the_6_pack. Same ol song from those guys. Bitching about our backup QB situation... All we need is a cameo by Billsfreak to remind us Ralph is cheap.

who's bitching about the backup

Fitz is the problem and Jackson will probably be starting before long

could be an upgrade

I wonder if the panic isn't driven by the notion that it's FITZ who will fail leaving the reigns to the backup. In other words, those not happy about this move expect the backup to ultimately be the guy.

TJ is an acceptable backup if you have a legit #1 QB........do we?

Stop reading so much into it. We need a backup QB, and we just traded a 7th or 6th for one. That is all.

could be an upgrade

Even better. Keep up the great work!

could be an upgrade

"Waaaaaah! We don't have a starter backing up the backup who's starting!"

Yeah, that's much better. :lol:

Backup QB is certainly a position of need. Come to think of it, without a top 5 defense, so is starting QB. But, backup QB is not their biggest need... The Bills should get serious about aquiring starting caliber LBs. That is clearly the weakest link on this team. The D line may be well stocked, but the LBs are going to keep the defense from cracking the top 15. We need at least one LB that brings a physical presence and is an "ENFORCER"... ala, Urlacher, Harrison, Ray Lewis, Karlos Dansby... a difference maker. We do not have anyone in that class. No, instead we convert a safety to play LB.