My assessment tonight...

Cordy looked good

Aaron Williams needs better awareness

Gilmore did awesome in the first quarter but was burnt the second

First team was actually pretty good although a few passes were batted down

First team defense was decent... line had pressure all game.

Dareus is a beast

Choice is also a beast but will probably remain our 3rd stringer

Does anyone think Fitz's lack of height is the reason the balls are being batted down?

fitz throws a lot more underneath passes than most other QBs (Ie: to RBs, TEs in the flat, short crossing WRs, etc.) the batted down balls are likely a result of the high frequency of underneath routes that are run and less his height

The breakdown against the Steelers in the last drive of the 1st half is cause for great concern. NO pressure from the D line when it mattered. NO blitzing. Looked like the same old prevent crap from last year...with the same result. TD for other team. Red Zone D all night actually was terrible and resembled last years--which was worst in the league. Choice played well. Steve had a few nice catches. Fitz looked like he picked up where he ended last season, stinking it up. Not too much to like from this game. That said, hopefully there are hiding stuff for the reg season.

Cordy looked good

Dareus is a beast

Does anyone think Fitz's lack of height is the reason the balls are being batted down?

Nope the reason is he's a 7th round pick from Haaaaaaaarvard......career backup everywhere......and somehow he after 4 good games gets $$$$$$$....... It's a shame....it hurts to watch real qb's like big Ben go to work

Gotta hope and pray chan realizes this and turns team into run/play action before its too late. Worst accuracy in the game.....can play well for stretches but the inconsistency always comes back

I billieve in our d and run game............and draft picks for cousins/mallett/even coltmccoy should be the move

Edited by Ryan L Billz

We sucked last year in PS as well and came out like gang busters. Repeat after me ... Pre season means nothing.

The Bills have lost 8 of their last 9 regular season games and now 3 straight preseason games for a total of 11 losses in their last 12 games. I know these games don't count in the standings but it's hard to feel confident about a team when they lose every time they take the field (and often look bad doing it).

Cordy looked good

Dareus is a beast

Where do you pull this crap outta? He is 6'2" just like a bunch of other QBs have been and he is taller than a bunch of others. He is prototypical height. Learn some facts before you post stupid gibberish like that.

Edited by FreakPop

You know, everything but our passing game seemed to be clicking in the first half. Never before have I wanted to scream "RUN THE F :censored: ING BALL!!!" quite so much. Well, at least until the regular season.

Point is, Jackson is ready. The D-line is ready. The run defense is ready. Our passing coverage? Not ready. Our passing game? NOT READY! I've been a Fitz apologist, but his timing is clearly not there. He has two weeks to get into the realm of competency

The Bills have lost 8 of their last 9 regular season games and now 3 straight preseason games for a total of 11 losses in their last 12 games. I know these games don't count in the standings but it's hard to feel confident about a team when they lose every time they take the field (and often look bad doing it).

Peyton Manning's colts used to lose every preseason game every year and then win 12-14 regular season games. These games are glorified practices. Thats it. You go into saying we need to practice this and you go and do that. When the games matter, the practicing against another team's defense idea goes out the window.

Personally, from what I saw, the Bills offense and defense looked great in the 1st quarter. Then, good ole Dick LeBeau didn't like how we were putting on a clinic on his starting D, so decided it was time to "practice" their blitzes. Add to that Wood, was pulled out after the 1st quarter and I saw a severe breakdown in the line, especially up the middle. Both of these put together and Fitz had no time to sit back and throw.

The defense kept looking good through the 2nd quarter, and if not very that amazing throw by Roethlisberger into perfect coverage, they would have come out of the first half looking really good.

Oh well, only practice.

Cordy looked good

Dareus is a beast

I personally believe that Aaron Williams is the future at safety for this team, if Buffalo is unable to re-sign Byrd we have the answer.

Pittsburgh was trying to rattle Buffalo's Offense and they did a pretty good job. Buffalo tried at first and did a good job as well. That catch by Dwyer from molestaburger was luck, 99% of the time it doesn't happen, but its preseason and who cares. I though Buffalo controlled the game in the first half.

Fitz' batted balls are because he throws from shoulder height, I was hoping that was what coach Lee was working on.

I take this game as a win, Buffalo ran the ball well against one of the better defenses, the passes were there we had some drops. Defense looks good, I think we may have two starting rookies by week 4 at the CB position. McKelvin is a keeper, to those that were calling for his cutting shame on you.

Edited by frogger

I didn't see the game, so I'll wait for the replay on Monday, but damn, have some pride guys. I know it's preseason and the games don't count, but I have watched a bunch of the preseason games on NFL network and not many teams seem to have as ugly of a result as Buffalo does. I don't know the cause of Fitzpatrick's ineffectiveness, but again, other starting QB's seem to look OK this preseason. What's his excuse? And once the starters are off the field, the team seems to get run over by the other team's backups. Again, not sure what Chan and Company are trying to accomplish in these games, but the results have been ugly three straight times.

The Bills looked really good in the 1st QTR, the problem is the game is played for 4 QTRs.

The offense would be ok if Chan would put as much emphasis on running the ball as he does passing it. Fred Jackson is the best player on the team and should see the ball 20-25 times a game. Spiller needs to get his touches also. The guy who looked out of sync was SJ, is the offense to complicated for him? Donald Jones looked more like the #1 WR then SJ did.

Fitz is a good journeyman QB who can win games if Chan Gailey stops putting him in 3rd and long all game long. The coaching staff needs to realize that they don't have big ben at QB, they don't have Brady, Brees, Stafford. They have a Flacco / Matt Ryan type and he needs a strong running game behind him like those two have. Run to set up the pass, it worked for Jim Kelly back in the day.

Cordy looked good

Dareus is a beast

No, I think that's partly the throw that was being attempted (short pass on a line rather than longer pass thrown on an arch), partly the DL being a total Beast, and partly the OL letting him disengage and drop back to leap for the pass instead of "sonning" him with a shoulder in the stomach a la Wood last year when he tries.

Peyton Manning's colts used to lose every preseason game every year and then win 12-14 regular season games. These games are glorified practices. Thats it. You go into saying we need to practice this and you go and do that. When the games matter, the practicing against another team's defense idea goes out the window.

Why then did Buffalo game plan for this "glorified practice." When the first team offense scores 3 TD's in 3 games something's wrong, pre-season or no pre-season.

The Bills looked really good in the 1st QTR, the problem is the game is played for 4 QTRs.

The offense would be ok if Chan would put as much emphasis on running the ball as he does passing it. Fred Jackson is the best player on the team and should see the ball 20-25 times a game. Spiller needs to get his touches also. The guy who looked out of sync was SJ, is the offense to complicated for him? Donald Jones looked more like the #1 WR then SJ did.

Fitz is a good journeyman QB who can win games if Chan Gailey stops putting him in 3rd and long all game long. The coaching staff needs to realize that they don't have big ben at QB, they don't have Brady, Brees, Stafford. They have a Flacco / Matt Ryan type and he needs a strong running game behind him like those two have. Run to set up the pass, it worked for Jim Kelly back in the day.

And in the regular season, the Bills starters will play for 4Q

For the 1st quarter when all the OL starters were in, the breakdown was 12 pass plays to 7 run plays or about 65% pass, 35% run.

That is NOT the breakdown I want to see during the regular season.

To do Chan justice though, those run plays went for 0,15,8,1,4,2, and 8 yds - so while the YPC are great at about 5, it's not as though the Bills are having 100% success running the ball, it's a mixture of stuffs and longer runs.

SJ had one absolutely Big League catch across the middle. #1 in anyone's league. He also had a couple plays where there was obviously some miscue, can't tell whose.

The Colts of 2011 sucked in preseason and then ... oh wait, nevermind.

The issue with these W-L record analyses of preseason schedules applied to good teams is that they don't actually consider what transpires within the context of the game. Peyton Manning and the Colts used the preseason games as tune ups. They would come out for a series or 3 in the first quarter, roll down the field against a vanilla defense like a blow torch through margarine, and then let the backups and camp fodder play the rest of the game. Those backups would stumble along and be lost for 2 or 3 quarters and the Colts would lose a meaningless game. The point is that there is no parallel to be drawn between that and, say, a preseason game where JaMarcus Russell comes out the first few series and throws 3 pick 6's in a row. Both team may have losing preseason records, but if one knows what they are looking at, the reasons are night and day.

Where do you pull this crap outta? He is 6'2" just like a bunch of other QBs have been and he is taller than a bunch of others. He is prototypical height. Learn some facts before you post stupid gibberish like that.

I don't think it's "crap" or "stupid gibberish". The prototypical modern NFL QB is desired to be 6'4" to 6'6" - guys like Blaine Gabbert who "looks the way you want your QB to look". Brady, Eli and Payton Manning, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, Alex Smith all fall within this height range.

So Fitz at 6'2" is on the short side for a modern-day NFL QB. He also has smallish hands. (and I still think he should learn to throw in gloves a la Warner)

That said, Warner, Rodgers and RGIII are listed at the same height (6'2") and Brees is shorter 6'0"; so being this height doesn't preclude great completion percentage.

Someone commented he was throwing from his shoulder on the batted passes. I didn't see that, and it it's true, I'm sure Bob Lee will be working on that with him this week.

Not sure what you are basing this on, but did you know that according to NFL.com, the Bills finished 2011 as the 14th ranked offense out of 32 teams?

Someone commented that folks with "Fan" or something really devoted-sounding like "wagon circler" in their username invariably wind up being the biggest chicken-little turncoats.

Edited by Hopeful

Does anyone remember changing something you've done most of your life? It doesn't become natural for some time. My guess is that Fitz is working on new techniques and he's not entirely comfortable with them yet. It takes a while. If he's smart, he'll stick with the program, but the result may be that the Bills come out of the shoot a bit weak and show improvement over the season.

Edited by flmike

We sucked last year in PS as well and came out like gang busters. Repeat after me ... Pre season means nothing.

Can't quite say that, but as someone else pointed out, one can't deduce the meaning of preseason from looking at the W-L record or the score.

The real questions are how did the team look with the starters in there?

For the Bills, the answer seems to be "better each week" and in some ways, looking very good, but there are certainly areas for concern.

How many times does this need to be said?? To quote Allen Iverson: "...we're talking about...practice..."

Why then did Buffalo game plan for this "glorified practice." When the first team offense scores 3 TD's in 3 games something's wrong, pre-season or no pre-season.

Technically it's 3 TDs in 4.5 quarters, but why bother with facts when your sole purpose for posting is to be a miserable, negative jackass?

Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing.

Hey, I'm trying. :flirt:

Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing. Pre-season means nothing.

Hey, I'm trying. :flirt:

Keep trying. Fact is, the third pre-season game is where you need to show something--there certainly was some game-planning and the starters played the first half.

While pre-season means nothing generally, I think most of us wanted to see a decent showing last night. I'm not sure I'd call last night confidence inspiring--but there were some positives and I think we'll be okay come week 1.

The Colts of 2011 sucked in preseason and then ... oh wait, nevermind.

The issue with these W-L record analyses of preseason schedules applied to good teams is that they don't actually consider what transpires within the context of the game.

The Patriots offense looked like a disaster their last game to the point that Belichick said that it was 'terrible to watch' . What does that mean?

Fitz's release point is not as high as some of the better QB's, such as Rodgers.

Its also not as low as Phillip Rivers.

Im not worried about Fitz. There has been some serious zip on his passes this preseason, the mechanics are working. His footwork appears to be better too. Fitz is a good quarterback. I am much more worried about our Oline. Fitz was getting destroyed last night on almost every attempt and he was still slinging it. He will be fine if he can stay upright.

What I can't understand is all the negative comments on these topics. We are supposed to be positive fans and than rant after the 10th week. Let us all listen to Chan. Half these guys won't be here in two weeks. We have the best to come. Trust me because I'm a great fan. Since 1965.

Personally, from what I saw, the Bills offense and defense looked great in the 1st quarter. Then, good ole Dick LeBeau didn't like how we were putting on a clinic on his starting D, so decided it was time to "practice" their blitzes. Add to that Wood, was pulled out after the 1st quarter and I saw a severe breakdown in the line, especially up the middle. Both of these put together and Fitz had no time to sit back and throw.

The defense kept looking good through the 2nd quarter, and if not very that amazing throw by Roethlisberger into perfect coverage, they would have come out of the first half looking really good.

Oh well, only practice.

Fitzpatrick missed an easy blitz read on the first series. The blitzing player left Graham all alone in the left slot and came after Fitz fitz should have flipped it to Graham it was third and 2 easy PICKUP. Instead he flings the ball into double coverage somehow and we punt......No different than last year. 3rd and short and he gets freaking cute...