It's J-A-I-R-U-S

Probably because to the human eye, which is programmed to take shortcuts, it looks similar to the much more common "Julius", where the consonant "l" is before the vowel "i". Not to mention the fact that "Jarius" is a lot easier to pronounce for most English speakers than "Jairus" since "ai" sounds are usually towards the end of a word and followed by only one consonant (laid, pain, main, etc).

"Kristen" vs "Kirsten" is similar, though in that case, Kristen is the far more common name.

That's because the human brain mostly only reads the first and last letter of a word and makes assumptions on the rest of the letters. Check out this paragraph from a Cambridge study, I think it's pretty amazing:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt!

That's because the human brain mostly only reads the first and last letter of a word and makes assumptions on the rest of the letters. Check out this paragraph from a Cambridge study, I think it's pretty amazing:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt!

I've seen that before, and nicely done there, Mark.

Are there a bunch of people named Jarius that I've never heard of, where this should be a common mistake?

Yes. Jarius, Jerious or Jarious is a common name. Several NFL players have this name.

Jackson, Norwood, Wright and Wynn to name a few.

Edited by inkman

Very nice! and sleeping is important!

(oh sorry, that was spelling)

Yes. Jarius, Jerious or Jarious is a common name. Several NFL players have this name.

Jackson, Norwood, Wright and Wynn to name a few.

exactly. its what people are used to seeing, especially sports reporters here.

doesnt jarius also have some sort of biblical ties too? (i dont really know but it seems familiar though im far from religious)

Jairus is a made up name and people simply anglicize it. Jarius is a close to an English word (with Roman roots) as they can get.

Who decides what names are "made up" or not? Even if a name has history, it was "made up" at some point or another.

Jairus is a made up name and people simply anglicize it. Jarius is a close to an English word (with Roman roots) as they can get.

"And, behold, there came a man named Jairus, and he was a ruler of the synagogue: and he fell down at Jesus' feet, and besought him that he would come into his house"

Luke 8:41.

"And behold

"And, behold, there came a man named Jairus, and he was a ruler of the synagogue: and he fell down at Jesus' feet, and besought him that he would come into his house"

Luke 8:41.

"And, behold, there came a man named Jairus and he slew the Philistine named Brady and with his unvanquished brethren smote all their enemies on the battlefield."

Hondo 8:42

You could conclude people are just ignorant. But Jairus is an unusual name while the -ius ending is common in Latin/Roman names such as Julius, Marius, Demetrius, and so on.

Probably because to the human eye, which is programmed to take shortcuts, it looks similar to the much more common "Julius", where the consonant "l" is before the vowel "i". Not to mention the fact that "Jarius" is a lot easier to pronounce for most English speakers than "Jairus" since "ai" sounds are usually towards the end of a word and followed by only one consonant (laid, pain, main, etc).

"Kristen" vs "Kirsten" is similar, though in that case, Kristen is the far more common name.

Good post, Sullivan. You make some excellent points.

I once dated a girl named Kisten. People batted .000 on that one.

Did people attempt to kiss her every time they were introduced to her?

BTW, I'm looking forward to my buddy Sage's upcoming essay on the confounding spelling of the names Torrell Troup(e), Marcel(l) Dar(e)ius, and C(K)raig Urbi©k.

90% of the time when Byrd is spoken about on TV, he's called "Jarius". Just heard it twice on ESPN.

Why is a two-syllable word so difficult to pronounce? Are there a bunch of people named Jarius that I've never heard of, where this should be a common mistake?

The easy way to remember this is JAIrus because when he was drafted he took an attitude toward practice much like Allen Iverson. He did not show up at mini-camp and used school as an excuse. Then he twisted his ankle or something else in a long line of BS all desingned to get out of practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29VsG35DQM

90% or more of everyone who tries to pronounce my last name says "Samara" not "Sarama".... My life would be easier if I just changed it.

My last name is 4 letters, one syllable, a famous movie character's name and I have to repeat it to everyone. People just don't listen.

I literally spell it out to everyone. B-O-N-D. It probably has to do with our nasily WNY accent. It comes out more like Bahnd rather than the movie character's British pronunciation.

My last name is 4 letters, one syllable, a famous movie character's name and I have to repeat it to everyone. People just don't listen.

I literally spell it out to everyone. B-O-N-D. It probably has to do with our nasily WNY accent. It comes out more like Bahnd rather than the movie character's British pronunciation.

What happens when you pronounce it in a British accent?

Serious question.