Aaron Williams Criticism?

I posted this in another thread, but I really thought this topic deserved it's own thread.....

I'm not sure why Aaron Williams seems to be catching so much criticism following last night's game. He looked pretty solid to me....even on that long (30+yd) reception by Jenkins....Williams was in his hip pocket the entire way, and even got his hand in on the ball and almost knocked it away....just a great play by the WR. Even the Vikings play-by-play guy acknowledged that Williams maintained excellent coverage.

He had 2 other completions against him....both by Jerome Simpson.

The first was a 4 yard reception for which Simpson faked a go-route, stopped and caught a pass from Ponder on a 4 yard out pattern. Williams respected Simpson's deep speed, adjusted well, and made a good tackle stopping him in his tracks.

The second reception was a shallow crossing pattern by Simpson for which Williams was screened by another Vikings WR. Simpson should have been picked up by a linebacker, was not, and went for a decent gain. Again, I didn't notice any glaring mistakes by Williams in coverage or in run defense.

After the game, the shoutbox was full of people calling for Williams to be replaced by Ron Brooks. One "shouter" even posted that McKelvin :sick: should take his place as the starting CB after his horrendous play. There were also several posts in "post-game discussion" threads stating that Aaron Williams sucks.....and so on and so forth.

Maybe someone else noticed something I did not which would warrant such harsh criticism? I watched him pretty closely, but I don't claim to be any kind of expert. Thoughts??

By most accounts, Aaron Williams has not had a good camp at all, and has consistently been burnt in practices. He didn't play well in the first game, and he didn't play well last night. I think that is the cause for all the criticism, the overall training camp that he has had, not the game last night that he had. He HAS to make that play on the bomb when he is in perfect position and should have easily tracked the ball in the air, the same way that Leodis had to make a few of those same plays last year on bombs and didn't. It's not like it was only a quick out, it was a bomb, and he cannot let that happen.

So far, AW has been my biggest disappointment of all players this summer, probably because he is likely being counted on to be a starter unless Terrence makes a very quick and full recovery, which doesn't look likely.

By most accounts, Aaron Williams has not had a good camp at all, and has consistently been burnt in practices. He didn't play well in the first game, and he didn't play well last night. I think that is the cause for all the criticism, the overall training camp that he has had, not the game last night that he had. He HAS to make that play on the bomb when he is in perfect position and should have easily tracked the ball in the air, the same way that Leodis had to make a few of those same plays last year on bombs and didn't. It's not like it was only a quick out, it was a bomb, and he cannot let that happen.

So far, AW has been my biggest disappointment of all players this summer, probably because he is likely being counted on to be a starter unless Terrence makes a very quick and full recovery, which doesn't look likely.

I remember hearing about Williams' slow start in camp, but remember specifically Wanny talking about how he finished camp strong. I don't recall him playing poorly against Washington, and I disagree that he played poorly last night. Do you have some specific examples (other than the Simpson play) where he clearly exhibited poor play?

BTW...I agree that he HAS to make that play on the ball when he gets position. I will say, however, that it is unfair to compair him to McKelvin in that regard. Being a young player and making that type of mistake once, is different from being a veteran an continually making the same mistake. I will maintain that he did make a good play on the ball....the WR Jenkins just made a better play on the ball.

I think everyone is overreacting and I think you are seeing a bunch of knee jerk reactions in regards to Williams' play.

I have not seen the reports that Kelly the Dog has talked about indicating that Williams is struggling in practice.

Williams got thrown to the wolves fairly early last year and he struggled, but as the season went on he got better and looked like he could start.

He is now in his second year and will face many challenges. I think we need to wait and see the big picture with him.

I would not bench him after last night's game.

Personally I think Aaron Williams should be playing safety not corner. One of the knocks on him as a corner coming out of Texas was that he wasn't all that fluid with his hip movement but when he can keep the play in front of him he can cover a good area of the field.

It was only me president of the mckelvin fan club who said Williams looked bad last nite. He gave up a few plays. Not the best game but all cb's are up and down........I'd rather see mckelvin out there getting one last shot.....if he stinks then yank him......would like to see him on field in some capacity

It was only me president of the mckelvin fan club who said Williams looked bad last nite. He gave up a few plays. Not the best game but all cb's are up and down........I'd rather see mckelvin out there getting one last shot.....if he stinks then yank him......would like to see him on field in some capacity

McKelvin has been our starting nickel back the first two scrimmages.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll paste my response from the other thread here so I don't have to re-type it:

I understand Johnny Hammerstick's questions about the Aaron Williams criticism but it has to be taken in the context of numerous reports of him struggling in practice, and his whiffed tackle last week which turned a routine 2 yard gain into a 9 yard gain.

Also, I don't care if he's in position if he doesn't make the play. A good corner doesn't let a receiver get away with a subtle push in the back because a good corner slows down enough that there's no way the receiver will get anywhere near close to the ball.

Just like a QB has to throw a ball where only his receiver can get it, a cornerback has to position himself where only he can catch it. If Williams is victimized on that play without learning, he'll be victimized many more times. It's like blocking out in basketball… position yourself where either you catch it or it falls to the ground. Leverage 101.

Anyways, I've not given up on Williams but I've not been encouraged.

Starting CB is a very unforgiving position in the NFL. You have to make plays and not give them up.

Aaron Williams bears a pretty heavy burden of proof, IMO.

Especially in the context of passing up Andy Dalton… who the Bills coaches also coached in that Senior Bowl.

His ball skills last night were McKelvinistic. Coverage was decent on the long completion, just needs to react better when the ball is in the air. IF he's able to clean that up I think his night was decent.

:lol:

It wasn't just you Ryan. I respect your opinion, but with regard to the bolded above, I ask.....what are you smoking and can I have some?

Personally I think Aaron Williams should be playing safety not corner. One of the knocks on him as a corner coming out of Texas was that he wasn't all that fluid with his hip movement but when he can keep the play in front of him he can cover a good area of the field.

His lack of fluidity is concerning. He doesn't seem to have cornerback hips, nor quick twitch muscle movement. Safety might be his future, but if so, he'd be depth right now (rather than a starter at CB)...

:lol:

It wasn't just you Ryan. I respect your opinion, but with regard to the bolded above, I ask.....what are you smoking and can I have some?

Mckelvin rules you'll be with me by week 6 on this. Real pass rush means cb's can finally make plays. I like the Gilmore brooks mckelvin package. Sub in Williams some. It's a long game.

Mckelvin rules you'll be with me by week 6 on this. Real pass rush means cb's can finally make plays. I like the Gilmore brooks mckelvin package. Sub in Williams some. It's a long game.

McKelvins woes werent pass rush related last year(and the year before). His problem was that he would be right there with the WR(due to his freakish speed)--the ball would be a toss up betw McK and the WR....and the WR came up with it time after time after time after time.--McK will be close to the WR most of the time---so with a better passrush he will still be right w the WR. Stopping the WR from catching the ball is usually next on the agenda.McK constantly fails at that.

His lack of fluidity is concerning. He doesn't seem to have cornerback hips, nor quick twitch muscle movement. Safety might be his future, but if so, he'd be depth right now (rather than a starter at CB)...

I recall hearing reports (when he was drafted) about the perceived lack of fluidity in his hips, but they hasn't been glaringly obvious to me (again I do not claim to be an expert). With regard to his lack of "quick twitch muscle movement," I think you just pulled that out of your a**. He is a big, fast, physical cornerback who has pretty good closing speed when his receiver does get a step on him. I could see him eventually converting to safety, but for now I think he has the potential to be a very good cornerback in this league. Only time will tell.

I highly doubt it Ryan, but I commend your loyalty to Mumbles McLovin.

Fans will be prone to high expectations for early round picks. Despite being the 5th corner selected, he was the second pick of round 2. Quarterbacks were selected by the two teams that immediately followed the Bills. A pick like this is extremely valueable. Often teams can obtain an extra 1st round pick in the following season in a trade down as part of their compensation for such a deal.

Despite the above, Nix seemed to have been hell-bent on drafting A. Williams, or maybe just a corner. This would indicate that he had very high hopes for Williams, so why wouldn't Bills fans?

Last season, we had zero pass rush. I would give something of a pass to any corner, let alone a rookie. This year, the Bills need, and have a right to expect major production from A. Williams.

Jmo.

Our CB play in general has left much to be desired, imo. We get beat on short throws way too often (which oddly enough, is McKelvin's strength). This is going to be a problem because teams will be doing this against us to counter our relatively strong pass rush (theoretically). I have no clue who should be starting, as they've all looked the same to me so far.

I posted this in another thread, but I really thought this topic deserved it's own thread.....

I'm not sure why Aaron Williams seems to be catching so much criticism following last night's game. He looked pretty solid to me....even on that long (30+yd) reception by Jenkins....Williams was in his hip pocket the entire way, and even got his hand in on the ball and almost knocked it away....just a great play by the WR. Even the Vikings play-by-play guy acknowledged that Williams maintained excellent coverage.

He had 2 other completions against him....both by Jerome Simpson.

The first was a 4 yard reception for which Simpson faked a go-route, stopped and caught a pass from Ponder on a 4 yard out pattern. Williams respected Simpson's deep speed, adjusted well, and made a good tackle stopping him in his tracks.

The second reception was a shallow crossing pattern by Simpson for which Williams was screened by another Vikings WR. Simpson should have been picked up by a linebacker, was not, and went for a decent gain. Again, I didn't notice any glaring mistakes by Williams in coverage or in run defense.

After the game, the shoutbox was full of people calling for Williams to be replaced by Ron Brooks. One "shouter" even posted that McKelvin :sick: should take his place as the starting CB after his horrendous play. There were also several posts in "post-game discussion" threads stating that Aaron Williams sucks.....and so on and so forth.

Maybe someone else noticed something I did not which would warrant such harsh criticism? I watched him pretty closely, but I don't claim to be any kind of expert. Thoughts??

it's because everybody thinks they know how football is played. In reality they don't, hence the criticism.

On the bomb to Jenkins where Williams got beat, am I the only one who saw Jenkins push off? He shoved Williams before going up for the catch.

I saw that. I think the normal refs would have flagged it half of the time (or a bit less). It was a veteran move that I think gets flagged only if the ref has a good view of it.

Williams looks to me like a young talented player who is still growing, some days/plays better than others.

Our CB play in general has left much to be desired, imo. We get beat on short throws way too often (which oddly enough, is McKelvin's strength). This is going to be a problem because teams will be doing this against us to counter our relatively strong pass rush (theoretically). I have no clue who should be starting, as they've all looked the same to me so far.

I agree with this. It looks to me like the D line isn't getting it's hands up when the QB throws and the LBs are just not making those passes significantly harder to complete.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Gailey has said numerous times that they weren't interested in making too many moves to help guys out. They wanted to see who stepped up. I think if Williams starts, he'll have more safety help than we've seen.

On the bomb to Jenkins where Williams got beat, am I the only one who saw Jenkins push off? He shoved Williams before going up for the catch.

Again:

Also, I don't care if he's in position if he doesn't make the play. A good corner doesn't let a receiver get away with a subtle push in the back because a good corner slows down enough that there's no way the receiver will get anywhere near close to the ball.

Just like a QB has to throw a ball where only his receiver can get it, a cornerback has to position himself where only he can catch it. If Williams is victimized on that play without learning, he'll be victimized many more times. It's like blocking out in basketball… position yourself where either you catch it or it falls to the ground. Leverage 101.

I feel that A Williams has a bad game against Minn. But so did a lot of other Def players. I still feel our LB group needs a LOT of work. They have been terrible so far this year. I wasn't a big fan of Barnett when we got him but he won me over last year. This year he seems slow & out of shape on the field. All of our LBs seem out of position at times so that tells me it is a coaching issue.

Come on Buffalo, let's get this straightened out now - before week one.

Again:

Michael Jenkins is 4 inches taller than Williams, and Ponder made a great back shoulder throw on the pass. That little push off (combined with the aforementioned details) gave him that extra little bit of separation that made all the difference on the play. On a play like that, the little push is what made Williams unable to get up there and knock the ball down. He was right there, turned, and got shoved.

I'm sorry these facts don't fit your preconceived "Aaron Williams sucks" notion, but that's what happened on the play.

Again:

Michael Jenkins is 4 inches taller than Williams, and Ponder made a great back shoulder throw on the pass. That little push off (combined with the aforementioned details) gave him that extra little bit of separation that made all the difference on the play. On a play like that, the little push is what made Williams unable to get up there and knock the ball down. He was right there, turned, and got shoved.

I'm sorry these facts don't fit your preconceived "Aaron Williams sucks" notion, but that's what happened on the play.

Yes, Williams got beat on that play. But, run it 100 times and I think there are penalties called 30 times (with the real refs), Jenkins beats him 40 times and Williams breaks up the pass the other 30 times.

Why extrapolate this play to Williams being a bad corner? He looks like a young player who is progressing, some days beter than others.

Yes, Williams got beat on that play. But, run it 100 times and I think there are penalties called 30 times (with the real refs), Jenkins beats him 40 times and Williams breaks up the pass the other 30 times.

Why extrapolate this play to Williams being a bad corner? He looks like a young player who is progressing, some days beter than others.

Wow. So defensive guys.

I have never said that Williams sucks.

I have said that he has to play better… and he does.

Also, close but no cigar is not a defense for a cornerback being beaten.

Williams could have slowed and impeded Jenkins but he didn't. Ask Antoine Winfield how he would have played that ball.

Dont worry about AW's tackling or jamming receivers, he's great at both. I think all corners ball skills are a little rusty in the summer. Brooks might creep in front of Aaron as the season goes on, but right now he's in front. Great hitter on special teams too.

He has tons of potential and all the tools, but it might have been better if he had stayed at Texas with Duane Akina for his junior year. He's young and probably 2 seasons away from being great. IMO he'll be great, but maybe not this year.

If he screws up he deserves criticism.. and he did screw up on that Jenkins play, no one can deny that. He didnt have his head around and started looking for the ball too late. With that said he has done a lot of things well and was even in good position on that play. I'm sure the coaches criticized him and I'm sure he'll learn from it

I'm not sure why Aaron Williams seems to be catching so much criticism following last night's game.

He has been at least somwhat of a liability in both preseason games. We'll see how much that means in the regular season.

Last season he was OK, but not average or above average by any means.

ProFootballFocus discusses him here in their preseason preview -

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/08/02/32-teams-in-32-days-buffalo-bills/

I agree with the coverage grade that they gave him, generally speaking, below average, based on what we saw last season. He only started 6 games.

You may or may not subscribe to the way that they do their stats, but mathematically speaking, they do as good a job as anyone could given that stats don't always tell the full story. Funny though, stats sure seem to be telling quite the story regarding Mario though.

Either way, take it fwiw, but he's got something to prove this season, and so far in preseason, the way that both teams have had no difficulty passing, the very first place to point a finger is at the Cornerbacks. Gilmore too may be good in camp vs. the likes of Roosevelt and Naaman, but in two preseason games he has looked less than fantastic too from what we can see on TV.

Both are going to have to step up in a big big way if this team is really going to make the playoffs. The can generate all the pass pressure that they want to, but if the WRs are constantly able to make big plays, that's a net loser.

They shouldn't have cut Florence. I have no idea why they did. He wasn't great either, but he was capable of starting and providing adequate play at CB. All they'll need this season is adequate play at CB and LB. Will they get it?

McKelvins woes werent pass rush related last year(and the year before). His problem was that he would be right there with the WR(due to his freakish speed)--the ball would be a toss up betw McK and the WR....and the WR came up with it time after time after time after time.--McK will be close to the WR most of the time---so with a better passrush he will still be right w the WR. Stopping the WR from catching the ball is usually next on the agenda.McK constantly fails at that.

He will be fine as a nickel corner. He is must better playing the ball when he just needs to react. It's the deep ball where he has too much time to think where he gets in trouble.

Williams got beat every time they threw his way. And not by Brady and welker, it was Jerome Simpson and Christian Ponder. I can understand why folks are underwhelmed. Then you see brooks out there albeit with 2s and he is everywhere.

No matter how the depth chart shakes out the bills got two good young DBS this year

He will be fine as a nickel corner. He is must better playing the ball when he just needs to react. It's the deep ball where he has too much time to think where he gets in trouble.

Williams got beat every time they threw his way. And not by Brady and welker, it was Jerome Simpson and Christian Ponder. I can understand why folks are underwhelmed. Then you see brooks out there albeit with 2s and he is everywhere.

Exactly. And he got beat by the rookie RGIII and the Skins' lackluster WRs at least once on their TD drive too.

Granted, it's his second season and he obviously deserves a full season of starts, but there is definitely room for concern. There should be no questioning why he is being criticized though apart from that.

I think Williams has looked like a stud every time he steps on the field. He was by far our best CB last year as a rookie, I thought he looked pretty good against the Vikes as well. No one is going to perfect and prevent every pass targeted against him, especially in the pre-season. I think the Bills have a very solid secondary now, but there will be a few "hiccups" with all those young players.

Now our LB's on the other hand....Yikes. I went from thinking Moats wouldn't make the team, to thinking he is the best LB on the team. Which doesn't say much about the other guys. Sheppard looks very slow and very lost so far, McKillop has looked much better.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

He has been at least somwhat of a liability in both preseason games. We'll see how much that means in the regular season.

Last season he was OK, but not average or above average by any means.

ProFootballFocus discusses him here in their preseason preview -

http://www.profootba...-buffalo-bills/

I agree with the coverage grade that they gave him, generally speaking, below average, based on what we saw last season. He only started 6 games.

You may or may not subscribe to the way that they do their stats, but mathematically speaking, they do as good a job as anyone could given that stats don't always tell the full story. Funny though, stats sure seem to be telling quite the story regarding Mario though.

Either way, take it fwiw, but he's got something to prove this season, and so far in preseason, the way that both teams have had no difficulty passing, the very first place to point a finger is at the Cornerbacks. Gilmore too may be good in camp vs. the likes of Roosevelt and Naaman, but in two preseason games he has looked less than fantastic too from what we can see on TV.

Both are going to have to step up in a big big way if this team is really going to make the playoffs. The can generate all the pass pressure that they want to, but if the WRs are constantly able to make big plays, that's a net loser.

They shouldn't have cut Florence. I have no idea why they did. He wasn't great either, but he was capable of starting and providing adequate play at CB. All they'll need this season is adequate play at CB and LB. Will they get it?

Gotta disagree with you on Florence, he was toasted by WR's routinely.....no reason to keep him around.

Gotta disagree with you on Florence, he was toasted by WR's routinely.....no reason to keep him around.

The selective memory around here is amazing. People ran by Florence almost as quickly as they do by Wayne Hunter.

Edited by jeremy2020

Yeah, Drayton was a good Bill and I liked him but he was a liability in coverage last year.

He has tons of potential and all the tools, but it might have been better if he had stayed at Texas with Duane Akina for his junior year. He's young and probably 2 seasons away from being great. IMO he'll be great, but maybe not this year.

Great point about Aaron Williams' age. He just turned 22 in April which makes him younger than some of this year's rookie class.

So that's something to take into account.