Former WR Josh Reed Slams Buffalo

http://blogs.lsureveille.com/sports/2011/03/01/qa-with-former-lsu-wide-receiver-josh-reed/

Q: What was life in the NFL like?

A: “It might be different in other cities but you know, Buffalo is in Western New York. It, really as far as the layout, the landscape and the area was kind of like the South, in New York. It’s not anything like the city. It’s real laid back in the country, but the people are horrible. As far as getting in trouble in Buffalo or socially, there’s nothing to do. You go to practice and go home. In eight years we never made the playoffs and didn’t have much success, so the fans are brutal. They sit here and say they have the best fans and have the best food. No. Coming from Louisiana where you have great weather, you can go outside 90 percent of the time. The people here are just friendly; you don’t even have to know somebody. If you say,’Hello,’ they’re going to say, ‘Hello,’ back; they may even start up a conversation. Up there, you say, ‘Hello,’ they’re like, ‘What do you mean, hello?’ It’s just like if they’re so miserable up here, then move.”

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.lsureveille.com/sports/2011/03/01/qa-with-former-lsu-wide-receiver-josh-reed/

Q: What was life in the NFL like?

A: “It might be different in other cities but you know, Buffalo is in Western New York. It, really as far as the layout, the landscape and the area was kind of like the South, in New York. It’s not anything like the city. It’s real laid back in the country, but the people are horrible. As far as getting in trouble in Buffalo or socially, there’s nothing to do. You go to practice and go home. In eight years we never made the playoffs and didn’t have much success, so the fans are brutal. They sit here and say they have the best fans and have the best food. No. Coming from Louisiana where you have great weather, you can go outside 90 percent of the time. The people here are just friendly; you don’t even have to know somebody. If you say,’Hello,’ they’re going to say, ‘Hello,’ back; they may even start up a conversation. Up there, you say, ‘Hello,’ they’re like, ‘What do you mean, hello?’ It’s just like if they’re so miserable up here, then move.”

Life goes on and Josh Reed can't stop it. Buffalo is an acquired taste I guess.

Yeah, let's not be too concern about doing your job. I'd be pissed off too if I were getting paid a ton of money and I couldn't go out and party. I might be a bit more concerned if it were real players like Stevie Johnson or Marcel Dareus bashing us. Their words would carry a little more weight IMO.

I guess that happens when you get drafted 36th overall and only manage 37 catches your first year, and when you become a full time starter the following year and only manage to snag 58 balls - a desperate and disgusted fan base tends to view you as yet another draft bust and maybe aren't so cheery. If Reed had become an impact player on the team or if he'd been a 6th round pick that contributed those types of career stats I think people would have been welcoming, but in a town that lives and breathes football you gotta live up to expectations or indeed you do find out how cold it can be.....

Well that's like, his opinion, man.

I'll never forget all the drops that Reed had during his time here.

The most memorable being when he crouched down to catch a low ball, and he actually stuck his knee through his hands. The ball bounced off his knee and into the ground before he ever got a finger on it. Also, the pic that was printed in a program where the ball was in the air, about 3-4 feet away from him, and he had his hands up to catch it, but his eyes were closed in the pic. Yeesh...

I don't really care what Josh thinks of Buffalo, but it's disappointing he would actively burn a bridge like that. The Bills paid him handsomely for most of his NFL career; it's a shame he can't show just a bit of respect.

Something tells me Josh won't find his name on a Bills alumni invitation list any time soon.

That is disappointing to read. Not as disappointing as the career of the former Biletnikoff Award winner, but disappointing nonetheless. I agree with the comment above that Buffalo is not for everybody, and Josh Reed was there during some tough years. Normally a former Bill trashing Buffalo would really piss me off, but for some reason this just makes me feel bad for Reed.

Reed, 30, is currently back in school after eight seasons with the Buffalo Bills to finish up his degree in general studies.

http://artsci.lsu.edu/groups/GeneralStudies/General_Studies_Web_2010.htm

"The Bachelor of General Studies degree program is for the student whose professional goals and educational objectives are optimally satisfied by a focused curriculum of interdisciplinary studies. The five areas of concentration in the Bachelor of General Studies link three undergraduate minors to create a thematic interdisciplinary major. All requirements for each undergraduate minor must be satisfied."

Boy, that'll get you far in today's world.

Let me try to break this down:

What was life in the NFL like?

"Well I would love to answer your question, but I just can't grasp it, *much like a football when it was thrown to me.* So instead I am going to answer your question by rambling off on a completely different topic. Buffalo was a great place at first but then I remembered Bills fans lived here so instantly hated it. Maybe if the Bills coaching staff was a little more competent in what they did and helped me discover my non-existent talent, I would be actually answering your original question but they didn't, so I'm not."

Seems like sour grapes more than anything else.

*Couldn't find how many passes he actually dropped while he played so don't form an angry mob if he was a good possession receiver*

Josh Reed is one of the worst players to ever wear a Bills jersey. He was absolutely horrible and fans knew it. Je was about as big of a bust as Guys like Maybin and Williams. Why is it that guys that loved to party like Kelly and Andre, Thurman and Bruce never had any problems here? Because they were good and weren't spit in in public is probably the reason. Josh Reed can sit there and suck it. He shouldn't have had a career half as long as he did and wouldn't have if it wasn't for Buffalo. Buffalo is far from the "Country". It's the 2nd largest city in NY state. And probably has more people in the sourrounding areas than half his country bumbkin hick filled state. F$&@!!!! Josh Reed.

I was in my early 20s while he was with the Bills and I saw him downtown on Chippewa street all the time. What is he even talking about when he says nothing to do? He was always down there. and when I say always I mean even Fridays before a game. (I never did see him on a Saturday during the regular season) And yeah the people were brutal, but you're dealing with drunk people. Man get a clue.

its a different culture for sure. having lived in upstate new york, and louisiana..... im not shocked he would struggle with feeling at home there.

what is really surprising is that he would come out and say it the way he did.