Seeing is bill-ieving - reality check

After reading through several posts, I can see the annual offseason optimism is in full force. I think as fans of our team, it's great to be enthusiastic, but the love-fest for Buddy & Co is reminiscent of the unearned praise given to Sabres owner Terrance Pegula upon his arrival and following the personnel moves made by the Sabres front office.

Sabers fans were already planning the Stanley Cup parade through Lafayette Square. Unfortunately for the team and fans, you have to make the playoffs to have a chance of winning the cup.

Again, as is the yearly tradition, Bills fans are ever hopeful and some actually believing the Bills will be a team to be reckoned with in 2012. Maybe they will be, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bills fans are the Charlie Browns of NFL fans. We keep attempting to kick the football held by Lucy, believing "this time I'll really kick it".

I'm always hearing the words "on paper". The proof is in the pudding. Unless a couple players really step up or there are some surprise breakout players or free agents, the Bills still have weaknesses that teams contending for the Lombardi trophy don't usually have.

Wideouts - still need a complimentary receiver for S Johnson.

Linebacking is average at best

Corners - plenty of potential, but still green

O-Line - LT spot still not settled. Don't expect Glenn to step in and be anything more than average as a rookie

QB - Fitz is smart and a team leader. He's still a journeyman QB. When I see one complete season of top tier QB play out of him, I'll be totally on board with him. For now, he's Frank Reich 2.0. - serviceable and able to win some games. Where's our Jim Kelly?

If the Bills can stay healthy - and that's a big if - they are probably an 8-10 win team. Does anyone really believe the Bills are capable of winning 12 games or more? The real question to be answered is can they finish strong? (as the Giants did in 2011).

"On paper" Nix has done a good job, but to quote the man himself, "show me the baby". I'll reserve my valentine's wishes to Buddy when I'm still watching live Bills games well into January.

Edited by DML2005

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who pissed in your corn flakes this morning? Don't you know the Bills are going to win the Superbowl this year!?

Thanks for the dose of reality, we all are very optimistic with all the moves being made, but we all should know there is still a lot to be proven.

Buddy needs to get to work on the 2013 free agents, Byrd, Levetra for sure. No rest for a GM, there is always more to do, and if cap space is available, there should be no higher priority now that the "plan" for 2012 is in place. OK, maybe another QB, but after that I mean.

DML is right.

No matter what happpens, whether it is getting a new Billionaire owner who is hellbent on revitalizing the franchise, or a new GM who knows how to build a team, Buffalo fans should never be happy or optimistic... :rolleyes:

After reading through several posts, I can see the annual offseason optimism is in full force. I think as fans of our team, it's great to be enthusiastic, but the love-fest for Buddy & Co is reminiscent of the unearned praise given to Sabres owner Terrance Pegula upon his arrival and following the personnel moves made by the Sabres front office.

Sabers fans were already planning the Stanley Cup parade through Lafayette Square. Unfortunately for the team and fans, you have to make the playoffs to have a chance of winning the cup.

Again, as is the yearly tradition, Bills fans are ever hopeful and some actually believing the Bills will be a team to be reckoned with in 2012. Maybe they will be, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bills fans are the Charlie Browns of NFL fans. We keep attempting to kick the football held by Lucy, believing "this time I'll really kick it".

I'm always hearing the words "on paper". The proof is in the pudding. Unless a couple players really step up or there are some surprise breakout players or free agents, the Bills still have weaknesses that teams contending for the Lombardi trophy don't usually have.

O-Line - LT spot still not settled. Don't expect Glenn to step in and be anything more than average as a rookie

QB - Fitz is smart and a team leader. He's still a journeyman QB. When I see one complete season of top tier QB play out of him, I'll be totally on board with him. For now, he's Frank Reich 2.0. - serviceable and able to win some games. Where's our Jim Kelly?

If the Bills can stay healthy - and that's a big if - they are probably an 8-10 win team. Does anyone really believe the Bills are capable of winning 12 games or more? The real question to be answered is can they finish strong? (as the Giants did in 2011).

"On paper" Nix has done a good job, but to quote the man himself, "show me the baby". I'll reserve my valentine's wishes to Buddy when I'm still watching live Bills games well into January.

:lol:

Some people just cant sit back and enjoy something. We have needed to address our pass rush since 99 and we finally did with 15 sacks from a year ago. We had a solid draft and resigned alot of our own guys. Cry me a river that the Bills didnt draft Peyton Manning this year at number 10. Fitz was awesome before injuries piled up. Ive seen him do it before and I billieve he can do it again

On the one hand, I do agree with you. The FO seems to be making good FA and draft choices, but many a good choice doesn't pan out on the field. I still have some questions about the coaching and game planning, too.

And rookies/young players make mistakes, it's just inevitable.

On the other hand, I can't rid myself of a few facts:

-"Teams Contending for the Lombardi Trophy" in recent years have had major gaps. A few: NE at defense and questionable running game. Texans went to the playoffs this year with a young, marginal rookie QB and a D that had been 28th in the league the year before. Giants played all year with a questionable D and their now-hailed QB has averaged about 61% completions for the last 4 years and led the league in picks with 25 in 2010.

The point (on both sides) is that you can't measure heart and drive to succeed. Teams that have heart and drive (as well as sufficient talent and quality coaching) overcome those "weaknesses". And that's something which can't easily be predicted. You just have to wait and see. It's not uncommon that the "better" teams in the playoffs sit down, while the team that wants it more gets by them. There were several examples in this year's playoffs.

I think the Bills have, or are close to having, sufficient talent at this point. I think the jury's still out on the quality of the coaching and game planning, and whether they really have the heart and the drive.

The bottom line is, "show me the baby"

Every team has weaknesses, DML. Do you remember the Packers OLine from two years ago? It was abysmal. The Giants secondary last year was awful, but they masked their weakness with a very strong DLine. I'm not saying the Bills are Super Bowl contenders just yet, but there have been awesome moves this offseason that look VERY bright for the future which is why I think the optimism is there. The players are excited and the fans are excited. There is a buzz about the team that hasn't been around in awhile. I prefer optimism to pessimism.

You are one pessimistic individual. So you want to wait till after the success happens to be happy ? I likely speak for most of the fans here in that we enjoy the journey and hope for a rosy destination.

Isn't it a given that every team is either better or worse on paper only at this point ?

DML- I don't think anyone is booking flights for New Orleans just yet. And, I have been as down on this franchise as anyone in the last 5 years...but you have to admit, this off season, whether everything works out the way we hope, it is hard not to feel like something is different for the first time in quite a while. Now, like you, I am cautious, because I remember, when Tom Donohoe was running the show, we had some pretty great off-seasons as well... but, for the first time, it feels like the franchise is allowing us to dream, rather than tempering our enthusiasim about everything. Nothing wrong with trying to enjoy it.

You are right, we need only to look at the Sabres as a local, cautionary tale. However, even with them, as disappointing as this season was, the committment from management/ownership still gives me a pretty optimistic feeling about that franchise...a team that is doing what it will take to get better...rather than one that is just existing, for the sake of existing. This off-season, the Bills have come a long way in that department, baby! Re-signing guys (Steve Johnson, Fred Jackson, etc) who, just two years ago, in the same situation would have been as good as gone, IMO.

There are those who will claim that there is nothing new, that the Bills have always been mindful of success, rather than dollars...to them, I call BS. But, for whatever reason (I am not going to look the gift horse in the mouth) this off-season, it feels like Mr Wilson has given Buddy Nix the green-light to "go for it". This kind of stuff doesn't happen often, so why not enjoy it?

If you can't be optimistic this time of year, ESPECIALLY after the off-season we've had, when the hell can you be?

You "realists" kill me sometimes. It's like you just don't want to set yourself up for failure. I guess it hurts too much when things don't go the Bills way.

Personally, I hope for the best every year. Things could easily go the opposite of how you described them.

wideouts- easly finally stays healthy and is a big threat and compliment to stevie

linebackers- shep in his 2nd year, barnett and morrison as starters. really not so bad imo. with any luck the new kids catch on quiclky

corners- green yes, but a pass rush will help take some pressure off them till they get experience

oline- why can't I think Glenn will step in and do a fine job?...Hairston got by last year as a 4th rd pic. I damn well expect glenn to be starting come September

qb- Fitz showed what he can do last year. The key is for the team to stay healthy. We now have some depth to hopefully be able to not miss a beat when we get some injuries

And the one thing you didn't mention. and it's kind of important. We now have a pash rush. This will not be last years defence. totally changes everything.

So yea, don't dream too big. It'll just hurt you too much if they fail. Me, I hope for the best every year. One of these years I'm bound to be right....I'm with senetor. 19-0 baby!

Looking good on paper is better than looking bad, which is what we have looked like for years.

Looking good on paper is better than looking bad, which is what we have looked like for years.

Yep! And Buddy doesnt play in the games or coach on the sidelines. His entire job is making us look good "on paper". That is all he can do. Use the resources available to put together the best team possible. It's still up to the coaches and players to "show us the baby". So imo, the Buddy lovefest IS warranted and rational, as we finally have a GM who has not only made moves the fans wanted, but for once made BETTER moves than the fans wanted.

Best offseason in 20+ years, possibly ever. If you cant get excited now, then dont bother watching.

Pegula is doing everything he can to win The Cup. The Bills are making big moves to be a contender. As a fan you can't ask for more than that and that is reason to be optimistic. This time maybe Charlie Brown is gonna say heck with the football and boot Lucy through the uprights!

I think we can all agree on the ugliness of the last 12 years looking backwards. Then again, the strength of the current personnel moves seems undeniable. The best part is that the only players we seem to be losing right now are the ones that can be replaced in the draft (with a little patience of course). Personally, as good as I think this team will be this year, I think it's nothing compared to where they could be 2 or 3 years from now if they stick to their plan. Keep it up Buddy Nix! :beer:

I am happy that we are trying to be a championship team.

I love the front office and the moves they are making. I like their mindset, and I don't need anyone telling me about their perceived reality

I would like another established talented WR opposite Steve. I'd like a trade for Reggie Wayne. The Colts want picks, and a 4th rounder should be sufficient.

Isn't talent what we're really looking for? Who is to say, definitively, that a talented #2 won't emerge from the group that includes Easley, Jones, Graham, Hagan, Roosevelt, and Aiken?

I would like another established WR opposite Steve. I'd like a trade for Reggie Wayne. The Colts want picks, and a 4th rounder should be sufficient.

Buddy and the FO are (correctly) under the impression that they can find players in the 4th round that will contribute and even start for years to come. Id be very surprised, shocked even, to see them throw away a 4th round pick on a player who has 2 maybe 3 years left and is on the downswing of his career.

If the Colts would take a 5th or 6th, then maybe it could get done. But those perimeter spots (WR and CB) are a young man's game. So dont get your hopes up.

You are one pessimistic individual. So you want to wait till after the success happens to be happy ? I likely speak for most of the fans here in that we enjoy the journey and hope for a rosy destination.

Isn't it a given that every team is either better or worse on paper only at this point ?

Good question. Isnt that the very definition of fair-weather fan?

At the end of the day, if you can't get excited now about this offseaason then you shouldn't be a Bills fan. Possibly the best offseason (on paper) we have ever had and youbstill gins a way to be a negetive nancy. WTF!!!!!!

Just as many reasons you pointed out we will still not be there, we can point out they are the reasons we will be.

Fitz was doing pretty damn well last year in the first 8 or so games wasn't he? People were calling ProBowl for him. Hmmm..... And wasn't it like 2 years ago that Eli led the league in inter eptuins with 25+? And look at him now. People are calling him better than Payton in some places. Fitz Last year BTW put up more yards and almost as many TDs as your lover Jim Kelly ever had so if that makes him a Frank Reich 2.0 then I guess we were really wrong about Frank and he should have started instead of Jim.

Hairston did fine at LT last year, with a makeshift line, so I firmly believe if he's the starter we will be fine there. If Glenn beats him out it's all gravy on the plate.

As much as we can't count on Easley as our #2, we can discout him either. He's like having an unknown rookie on the team. Except he has 2 years experience which could be prime for a breakout year. Even though he never had one in the first place.

Williams was starting DB last year and playing quite well especially for a rookie and he was a 2nd round pick. Gilmore is better and if he doesn't start right away it will only be a matter of 4 plays until McGee goes out with an injury. Brooks is going to be a steal and Rodgers also came on very big last year near the end of the season. McKelvin is in a contract year and his writing is on the wall. He won't be back, he needs to impress other teams.

The linebackers are not nearly as bad as you think. Barnett is good. Better than good. Better than Poz ever was and stays healthier than Poz. Shephard played well and is good enough to be starting on many teams in the league. Much better than we could have claimed years ago with our makeshift players. Morrison has experience and will only hold down the spot until one of the Rooks is ready. Carder was projected much higher than when we got him and for what it's worth, most of the "experts" like McShay and Kiper consider future starter.

The DLine was finally addressed this offseason and in a big way. We got the best pass rushing DE available even though every team wanted a piece he came to us. And we got another DE that was the best pass rusher on a Super Bowl team as our 2nd best pass rusher. Our DL will male the entire team better but as far as the defense you can block LBs when you should technically be doubleteaming every defensive player on our DL. This will also open up our CBs and Ss to make plays as they won't be following around WRs for 5+ seconds at a time.

Overall last year we were 5-2 and then the injuries started up and we couldn't overcome it. I'm normally not one to use the injury card because every team has them. The difference is that last year we didn't have the depth to overcome them. This year we are deeper. If Easley goes down, then Jones starts, Hairston/Glenn, McGee/Gilmore, Freddy/CJ, Williams/Carrington or Johnson. Last year Carrington starting at DT might have reallybsucked but this year if one of our 4 DLmen gobdown it's not that big of a hit considering we have 3 more pro bowl caliber players right there. In the end, if we cam stay healthy there's no doubt we can be a force. We showed it last year with the same players. Now we have a few better players and more depth if they can't stay healthy.

And last but not least, even though you didnt bring it up I will. For the first time the Bills and thier "incompitent FO" and "cheap owner" hot it done in FA. They picked up 2 defensive linemen that either one would have been a huge pickup. They paid one of them enough to be the highest paid defender in football. They resigned all thier FAs they might be loosing in the near future. And Buddy has fine everything hebsaidbhe was going to do. This isn't luck for Buddy how it's turning out. It's been planned. You should be happy that things are going to plan and "on paper" were looking better than we did last year and we went 5-2 until the bad luck started up. Sure it can happen again, but if your expecting that to happen and hoping it will just so you can claim you saw it all along then why the hell are you here.

It's a long post on my cell, please excuse the grammar/spelling.

This is the right place to have this conversation for sure. And fans have to know that as much optimism and hope they have, it's all down to 16 Sundays in the fall.

I think the optimism is well placed: look at the additions and re-signings and everyone will acknowledge that the Bills are theoretically better than they ended the year. Moreover, you look at the depth at a lot of positions and right now you don't know who is going to make the roster because of all the competition.

That last point is the double edged sword: looking down that WR depth chart you see that competition is there for spots, but you'd hardly scare anyone with the names the Bills have. At Tackle the question mark remains, despite the additions - and I think that point is equally relevant for Guard, TE, LB, Corner and Safety. We're probably set for starters at those positions but you have to wonder about the overall talent level.

As a fan of the Bills I am super pumped up for the season - as usual full of optimism and hope for a playoff charge.

As a football guy I am looking at the roster wishing camp was here already so we could start sorting the men from the boys.

1336480815[/url]' post='2460810']

Sabers fans were already planning the Stanley Cup parade through Lafayette Square. Unfortunately for the team and fans, you have to make the playoffs to have a chance of winning

You lost me right here. I didn't buy into Pegula from the start and 2 years later all we have are nice new digs for the home team. Well, they're Regular Season anyway..

Most of us were upset with the Buddy & Chan hirings, believing they were the only people who'd accept the job. 2+ years later, we KNOW we really have something here with them calling the shots.

I want to see more wins than losses, just like everybody else and i sympathize with your jadedness. This year, way more so than past years, I believe we're finally prepared -talent wise- to see it become reality.

Big difference in the 2 franchises' recent activity.

I understand your desire to see results before you lavish praise on Nix and Co. and I understand your long-term frustration with how this team has continuously under-achieved for more than a decade. But, I don't know that anyone I've read has given Nix a total pass yet or said that this team is ready to contend for a Super Bowl. Maybe they are...most likely not yet. But what many on this board and BILLS fans everywhere have done this off-season is seen a new approach to FA and another apparent strong Draft. Is the Draft still "on paper", well of course!! But does that diminish the seeming improvement this team has made?? There are other teams who believe they've done a great job of setting themselves up for good talent for the future and they're happy about it.....why not the BILLS? Why not the fans?? Because they're ineptitude for so long has jaded us against being optimistic and against hoping for great things. But what I believe we have seen is a transition in philosophy and more important in execution of said philosophy. Nix, Gailey, and Co. need to "show us the baby", no dispute or debate there whatsoever....but enjoying what the BILLS have done this FA period and how they addressed their needs and depth requirements in the Draft is not giving anyone a pass or assuming the BILLS are ready for football's greatest stage. What it truly IS, a recognition that the BILLS have most likely turned a corner. You're right in that only time will tell, but I can say this: this off-season has been more enjoyable to watch unfold because the BILLS have been active in addressing their most glaring needs and building depth in areas anyone who's watched them for more than 5 minutes could see was necessary.

For the record, I do believe the BILLS are ready to be a playoff contender and at least be jockeying for a Wild Card spot come the last week or two of the season and that my pessimistic cohort IS a big step in the right direction. The NEXT step will be a legitimate threat to be the AFC representative in the Super Bowl. If you want Rome built in a day, play the SIMS game...if you want to be realistic about the process, just keep watching and take some encouragement from what we've seen thus far. Yes, you can b*tch and moan about how it's been so long already, but short of Drafting Superman, considering where this team was, it is just going to take time. Frustrating, I know...but patience at this point is all you have. And it's easier to be patient when you see the BILLS making the changes they've made over the last couple of seasons, i.e. FO personnel moves, and what they've done this FA and the last two Drafts. Take away from it what you will, but in the end, you can either whine and complain or take heart that true change has occurred and we wait to see if those changes pay off.

DML is right.

No matter what happpens, whether it is getting a new Billionaire owner who is hellbent on revitalizing the franchise, or a new GM who knows how to build a team, Buffalo fans should never be happy or optimistic... :rolleyes:

Correct. The Bills will always suck. Case closed.

PTR

Not on HFboards. Most fans believed the teams had serious issues. I think this post has more to do with your own issues.

Good post - contrary to the options of others that commented. I feel the same way as you do for 2012, which I feel is a pretty realistic look at the team.

The only thing I would add is that it feels like there is some momentum behind this group, which is a feeling I haven't had about this team in a long long time, probably the early Bledsoe years when we had a good defense and playmakers. I think that's why people are so optimistic. A little too optimistic for 2012 in my opinion, but well justified for 2013 and beyond.

The OP acts like the last 12 years just happened because it's the Bills, as if decisions and outcomes are based on bad karma. Look at any year honestly and you can see a combination of good and bad moves that resulted in our playoff drought.

People are optimistic now because anyone with a sense for the game can see the logic of the moves by Buddy Nix. Now there are still intangibles that can affect our season that no one can control: injuries, bad refs calls, etc. But of the things we can control there is a sense of competency we have not had in a while.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm as good a person as the next guy but this love-fest for goodwill and hope and concern for our fellow man is reminiscent of canards like "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Let's face reality. Some people do not deserve it. Show me the dead baby.

So while it's all good and nice to be respectful to your fellow Bills fans and posters, I am here to tell you that I wish harm to pessimists and reality checkers. I wish them ill-will. I hope bad, unfortunate, torturous stuff occurs to them, their neighbors and their families.

Some of you will scoff and say the world is still good but it's not. It's a bad place and bad stuff happens and bad still should and will happen to the people who cannot be happy.

I want hurt and disappointment and tragedy to happen and I cannot wait until I can come back after a particularly gruesome dialysis accident or unexpected calamity happens to one of them on Mother's day and I can say I told you so because the world sucks.

I know you nice people don't want to hear it but bring on the hurt.

On the one hand, I do agree with you. The FO seems to be making good FA and draft choices, but many a good choice doesn't pan out on the field. I still have some questions about the coaching and game planning, too.

And rookies/young players make mistakes, it's just inevitable.

On the other hand, I can't rid myself of a few facts:

-"Teams Contending for the Lombardi Trophy" in recent years have had major gaps. A few: NE at defense and questionable running game. Texans went to the playoffs this year with a young, marginal rookie QB and a D that had been 28th in the league the year before. Giants played all year with a questionable D and their now-hailed QB has averaged about 61% completions for the last 4 years and led the league in picks with 25 in 2010.

The point (on both sides) is that you can't measure heart and drive to succeed. Teams that have heart and drive (as well as sufficient talent and quality coaching) overcome those "weaknesses". And that's something which can't easily be predicted. You just have to wait and see. It's not uncommon that the "better" teams in the playoffs sit down, while the team that wants it more gets by them. There were several examples in this year's playoffs.

I think the Bills have, or are close to having, sufficient talent at this point. I think the jury's still out on the quality of the coaching and game planning, and whether they really have the heart and the drive.

The bottom line is, "show me the baby"

All good points. With free agency, there are few teams that don't have areas of weakness. And a team with a lot of heart and competitive spirit can win games that they might not have with less enthusiastic players. I think the Bills players have the right attitude.

The point of my post wasn't to rain on anyone's parade. I was simply struck by the degree of praise given Buddy Nix, even though the team has yest to prove anything on the field.

Every year we Bills fans get giddy with all the new acquisitions and hype that comes out of One Bills Drive. In spite of the unbridled optimism that precedes every opening day kickoff, we've been relegated to also-rans status as every other team made a playoff run over these last 11 years.

Same thing every year.... "wait'll next year".

So, what makes this year any different?

I think the Bills are making some good moves, with the signing of Williams & Anderson, and are actually retaining their own free agents.

Be optimistic! it's our team and I hope for some exciting football from them with playoffs in the picture. But until they actually show they're consistently competitive against the best teams, I'll reserve my unwavering praise of Nix and the rest of the crew at OBD.

For years, many of you have cited Ralph C Wilson and his henchmen as being the obstacle(s) that keep the Bills from succeeding.

Guess what? They're all still there.

The reality is Buddy Nix...did a spectacular job as GM this off season. Have you already forgotten the 100 Million dollar acquisition of Super Mario?

and he added another pass rusher to the team in Mark Anderson. If nothing else the defense should be drastically improved.

If Nix has had a failing with the Buffalo Bills its with the offense at the #2 WR spot, LT and depth across that entire line for sure.But ya know what, its now up to Chan Gailey to show he can win with what he has! I'm pretty certain Gailey has had a major say in what areas of the team he wants to build. If he wanted a new QB-WR-LT with that #1 pick the last 3 years I'm pretty sure Nix would have accommodated him.

How long has it been since we have had such a assertive general manager as Buddy Nix... Someone who knows what it takes to build a franchise ... Positive optimism is good right now... It has been the opposite for over a decade so enjoy what has happened this off season... It is the building block for a good season... Too bad we still have fans who do not see that... and NO he will not fix all the Bills problems in one year... Who could? But the Bills will be a very impressive winning franchise this year... If we do not have the old injury bug we can go a lot further than anyone expects... Go Bills.....

Name the perfect team?

Definitely not any in the AFC. This conference is ripe for the Bills to make a push for not only the playoffs but the Superbowl. I won't go through the reasons why for each team, but I see the AFC as being the weakest it's been since the Bills glory days.

Side comment: they need to do their due diligence and at least bring TO in for a look see. Fitz and TO had a great connection going and it wouldn't hurt to have a transitional player at the #2 spot at the beginning of the year. I get the sense he doesn't care about the spotlight anymore.