Is Hairston our LT

I'm still buzzing about signing Williams. Started thinking about the draft now. Are we forced to go LT now that we've relieved some pressure from acquiring a pass rush (I'd still like 2 more DL bought in via the draft)? The consensus here before Mario was some form of Floyd/Mercillus/Ingram/Coples/Martin. Should I narrow that down to just Martin now? I don't see a starting caliber LT on our roster at present. Hairston needs more time to develop. On another note, I'm salty about Bell even looking to FA. We picked him up in the 7th and developed him into a decent LT. He hasn't played a full season at LT for us and he decides to walk and take the money. I honestly don't even want him back now.

I'm still buzzing about signing Williams. Started thinking about the draft now. Are we forced to go LT now that we've relieved some pressure from acquiring a pass rush (I'd still like 2 more DL bought in via the draft)? The consensus here before Mario was some form of Floyd/Mercillus/Ingram/Coples/Martin. Should I narrow that down to just Martin now? I don't see a starting caliber LT on our roster at present. Hairston needs more time to develop. On another note, I'm salty about Bell even looking to FA. We picked him up in the 7th and developed him into a decent LT. He hasn't played a full season at LT for us and he decides to walk and take the money. I honestly don't even want him back now.

That's one of the silliest things I've ever read!

That's one of the silliest things I've ever read!

I agree, how can you fault a guy for trying to find out what he's worth on the open market. Especially when it's a soft FA class for LT's. All signs point to him getting a very good contract.

FWIW, Cards re-signed Levi Brown. That is one less team interested in D. Bell.

Arizona was the only team that brought Bell in for a visit, correct? I don't think I've heard his name attached to any other teams, and Scouts.com does not list him as the top available OT, according to ESPN.

According to Gailey, he and Nix will have a discussion tomorrow morning about where the team stands salary cap wise, and they'll approach the remainder of free agency from there. I'm curious if Bell will respond to the Bills' offer now that his only suitor has re-signed Brown plus the hoopla surrounding Mario Williams.

I have nothing against Bell...nothing at all...nor do I see anything wrong with player whom, after fulfilling his contractual obligations to his organization and his commitments to his team, wants to test/establish his value in free agency.

That said, I'd be surprised to see him return. I seriously doubt the Bills would pull the offer, or 'rub Bell's nose in it' by offering even less money, but the Bills precedent has been not to court players who don't want to be here.

Hairston? No, no, a thousand times no. Bell is no left tackle, years of trying hasn't made it so. We need to draft a franchise LT at 10, whether Reiff, Martin, or Adams. Hairston was over his head and Fitz paid hard and often. Another year of experience would be useful, but not as a starting LT. Let him give someone else breathers when necessary to get it.

I agree, how can you fault a guy for trying to find out what he's worth on the open market. Especially when it's a soft FA class for LT's. All signs point to him getting a very good contract.

That was the case before free agency started. I'm not so sure he and his agent have liked how things have unfolded so far.

Still, it's early.

At least Bell and his agent did not cry about his contract renegotiate it and not too long after hold out refusing the contract on extension they requesred.

Translation?

Levi Brown re-signs with the Cards:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/cardinals-bring-back-levi-brown-on-five-year-contract/

"With Levi Brown and Jared Gaither returning to the teams they played for last year, the highest-rated offensive tackles left on the PFT Hot 100 list are Eric Winston, Marcus McNeill, Demetrius Bell, and Anthony Collins."

I think Hairston could be better then a backup option of he lost some weight.....its just that I think he would be an "OK" LT.....and a pro bowl RT

I would pretty much agree with this. I think Hairston should be our RT and that might happen in time even though we already resigned our guy now. IF and thats a big IF, Bell doesnt come back I'd expect Hairston to at least challenge for the starting LT position no matter who we draft even if its a LT at the 10th pick, dont think he'll win that battle but will be given the opportunity. Eventually I think he makes his way to a starting RT position in time.

Regarding the Bell thing, I think he may just be back considering there hasnt been much on the LT front by any team really. Doesnt mean hes not being looked at (obvious as Ari looked at him) but I dont think he gets many offers or at all that the Bills wouldnt and couldnt match.

IF, another big IF, Bell does come back, I think they will draft a WR with the 10th pick and let Bell continue to grow with Hairston still waiting for a shot at some point or at least getting game time here and there to spell some guys and fill in when injuries come about.

If we resigned Bell we WOULD have OT depth......

You cant go stockpiling at positions when you have weak areas on the team and difference makers available at other areas.....

For instance....I am a big John Martin fan if Bell does not come back.....

but

If Bell tests free agency and sees the grass is not greener....and he accepts whatever offer was on the table from the bills...then it a OT makes no sense to draft anT at 10 when we need a 2nd option WR like Floyd from Notre dame who is sure to be a stud

IF and thats a big IF, Bell doesnt come back

IF, another big IF, Bell does come back

So let me get this straight, mrags… it's a big IF that Bell doesn't come back and a big IF that he does come back?

Is there a third possibility?

Hold out like Jason Peters.

Oh! Gotcha. Sorry.

I think Hairston can be better at LT than most people tend to believe. That being said, I want to resign Bell and draft Reiff/Martin. Let's get some OT depth.

Stacking talent, baby. Good players fighting for jobs.

Especially when one guy is injury prone.

I suppose what bothered me is that he didn't even bother to respond to our contract offer. Bell came into this league as a VERY raw prospect and the Bills held onto him and developed him and gave him a shot as a starter. My only real bone with him is the lack of loyalty in not responding to the contract offer. I understand testing free agency to see what your value is, I just take issue with the way he went about it. You're right though, the comment was a bit bombastic. Of course I would want him back under the right circumstances. But, I don't think he's a franchise LT. Martin may or may not be a franchise LT, I don't know. I'd rather have Bell around to allow us some freedom in the draft though. I wouldn't sign him for anything over 4 though.

Need to get Jeff Backus in for a look. If he's healthy would be a good stop gap and allow full flexibility at 10. Backus, Hairston, and a draft pick (be it a first rounder or fifth) can then battle it out in camp. Don't want to box out a LT at 10 by giving big money to someone, or ignore it completely and be forced to use the pick on the position.

I suppose what bothered me is that he didn't even bother to respond to our contract offer. Bell came into this league as a VERY raw prospect and the Bills held onto him and developed him and gave him a shot as a starter. My only real bone with him is the lack of loyalty in not responding to the contract offer. I understand testing free agency to see what your value is, I just take issue with the way he went about it. You're right though, the comment was a bit bombastic. Of course I would want him back under the right circumstances. But, I don't think he's a franchise LT. Martin may or may not be a franchise LT, I don't know. I'd rather have Bell around to allow us some freedom in the draft though. I wouldn't sign him for anything over 4 though.

I can totally understand what you're saying. But consider Bell's point of view, I got drafted in the 7th round, worked my butt off and turned myself into a good tackle, I get hurt in the line of duty so you offer me a ridiculously low contract. So I'm only in your plans if I concede to your offensive offer(no pun intended)? Bye.

I'm not saying that is what happened, but what if it did?

But consider Bell's point of view, I got drafted in the 7th round, worked my butt off and turned myself into a good tackle, I get hurt in the line of duty so you offer me a ridiculously low contract. So I'm only in your plans if I concede to your offensive offer(no pun intended)?

No matter what kind of efforts he put in, if you can't play, can't stay on the field, what good are you?

Any way, has anything happened with Bell? Sign anywhere? If you have not signed one week into FA, your value and asking price has got to start dropping imo

Far as Ive seen we are the only team that has offered him a contract.

You are correct.

Cards out of the race for him.

The Deadskins were suppose to have brought him in over the weekend. But still no signing or news about anything else.

Falcons here in Atlanta may also take a look at him. Sam Baker their first rounder from 2008 has been a disappointment. He has also struggled with injuries. The Falcons are also very cap restricted.

So, Bell might be trying to counter the Bills offer?

If money is equal where would Bell play???

Hairston? No, no, a thousand times no. Bell is no left tackle, years of trying hasn't made it so. We need to draft a franchise LT at 10, whether Reiff, Martin, or Adams. Hairston was over his head and Fitz paid hard and often. Another year of experience would be useful, but not as a starting LT. Let him give someone else breathers when necessary to get it.

Much too logical and well thought to be posted on TBD.

Hairston was like parking a truck at LT. Big front bumper but not very good laterally.

I thought Hairston played pretty good for a rookie 4th round pick. Although he may be better suited for Rt.

My question is if Erik Pears has any experience playing LT? He has very good footwork and plays like a technician against the pass. If he has the comfort level playing on the left then we can move Hairston to the right tackle spot..

Why not McNeill? He's healthy again and would be huge improvement.

McNeill's healthy again?

Whose physicals has he passed? I'd heard he's a huge medical question mark and haven't heard that he's been passing physicals.

As far as Bell goes, the question in my mind:

Would he accept less from another team in order to spite the Bills… or simply out of mule-headedness?

I think he is worth a serious look.

He appears to be about the same skill level as Bell, but without any injuries. Seems strange that I haven't heard anything about him. Maybe it's his choice of friends, Jerome Simpson and Aqib Talib...

Edited by Matthews' Bag