Stevie Johnson Contract SIGNED

iommi

Respectfully disagree. I think Clowney is training camp fodder, Hagan is a backup who should play about 10 snaps per game at most. Easley...well I think he's talented, but he'll probably have a foot ripped by an alligator or something.

Hagan's a free agent, he's not even currently on the roster.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The consensus on the board seem to be not to pay Johnson #1 WR money and that's what he wants. He will get it. And probably not from us. Its extremely generous to call that link "progress" with SJ contract negotiations. It just states that there is another failure to agree. Personally, I would rather overpay if only to keep him from being used against us.

The Bills probably want to pay him where his performance slots him as the 18th best WR in the league. His agent probably wants top ten WR money...which he isn't and may never be.

As often as this Bills offense throws you would think he would have 100+ catches like Wes Welker with 122 rec-1500+ yards, Johnson barley broke 1k with 1004 this year and had 1073 last year.

He currently is the Bills main receiving threat no question about it, he sorta has them over a barrel and his agent knows it. Hopefully they work it out because the Bills really need him.

The Bills probably want to pay him where his performance slots him as the 18th best WR in the league. His agent probably wants top ten WR money...which he isn't and may never be.

As often as this Bills offense throws you would think he would have 100+ catches like Wes Welker with 122 rec-1500+ yards, Johnson barley broke 1k with 1004 this year and had 1073 last year.

He currently is the Bills main receiving threat no question about it, he sorta has them over a barrel and his agent knows it. Hopefully they work it out because the Bills really need him.

Why would you not then pay him maybe around 13 or 14th best money? And have incentive clauses that could take into the top ten money realm? I mean it has to be a science more then just pulling numbers out of the air??

Why would you not then pay him maybe around 13 or 14th best money? And have incentive clauses that could take into the top ten money realm? I mean it has to be a science more then just pulling numbers out of the air??

It is not a science. It is economics and football all mixed together. If it was a science there would be no negotiations.

I haven't read any of this thread (and yes, go ahead and use those 7 words against me for everything I'm about to say) but the fact that there are 3 pages of discussion (and this thing is pinned) about Stevie !@#$ing Johnson's contract makes me sad as a Bills fan. This is our biggest story? (rhetorical question). Yes, sadly, it is. I think Stevie is a punk. A "there is no I in team, but there's an I in Win" type guy. But I'm starting to think that this is where we are as an organization. Maybe we need to sign his stupid ass to a huge contract and then draft another top WR, because Fitz was hurt for the second half and all he needs is another target. He had time all season. Our O-line impressed. He just had no receivers who could get open. But we still started strong. Did our po-dunk offense get figured out? Did the ball just "bounce our way" the first 7 games? I don't know. But I'm done hating Stevie for his stupid Antics. Maybe because I'm now 10 years older than any rookie. Maybe it's because I went from hoping the Bills would win a SB that my grandpa could see to hoping they win one that my Dad can see. Not sure. But this "all about me" punk is a good f-ing WR. Toss a crap load of money at him. A Ton. If he's a bust, ya know what happens? We're in the same spot we've been for the last 13 YEARS. He's great like he's shown small glimpses of? Awesome. I just want to win. Before I have to start thinking I want to see a SB win that "I" can see...

why so serious?

Taken from your sig line...Are you now serious? I agree. At first I was thinking this guy was just a punk kid but now I am seeing more and more that he is the average face of the NFL player and he has potential. We have let so much of that walk away.

NIce move by his agent to make a counter offer. Usually teams offers are just rejected and the player goes into FA saying the team never made a serious offer. Now Stevie and his agent can blame Nix if a deal doesn't get done and can go into FA.

If I were Stevie I would be worried he will be competing with other WR's that are better or at worst as good as he is...Jackson, Bowe, Garcon, Colston, Meachem...

Hopefully they made the Bills an offer making him the 10-15th highest paid WR and Nix pinches his nose and signs the dam thing...

I haven't read any of this thread (and yes, go ahead and use those 7 words against me for everything I'm about to say) but the fact that there are 3 pages of discussion (and this thing is pinned) about Stevie !@#$ing Johnson's contract makes me sad as a Bills fan. This is our biggest story? (rhetorical question). Yes, sadly, it is. I think Stevie is a punk. A "there is no I in team, but there's an I in Win" type guy. But I'm starting to think that this is where we are as an organization. Maybe we need to sign his stupid ass to a huge contract and then draft another top WR, because Fitz was hurt for the second half and all he needs is another target. He had time all season. Our O-line impressed. He just had no receivers who could get open. But we still started strong. Did our po-dunk offense get figured out? Did the ball just "bounce our way" the first 7 games? I don't know. But I'm done hating Stevie for his stupid Antics. Maybe because I'm now 10 years older than any rookie. Maybe it's because I went from hoping the Bills would win a SB that my grandpa could see to hoping they win one that my Dad can see. Not sure. But this "all about me" punk is a good f-ing WR. Toss a crap load of money at him. A Ton. If he's a bust, ya know what happens? We're in the same spot we've been for the last 13 YEARS. He's great like he's shown small glimpses of? Awesome. I just want to win. Before I have to start thinking I want to see a SB win that "I" can see...

So what are your thoughts on that Geico screaming pig commercial?

It is right now. Nothing else going on.

It is right now. Nothing else going on.

And it is kind of important to us. Regardless of opinion of him , he is our #1 right now with the others a distant 2,3.

i have said before we need to sign him and another recognized name to compete for the #1 receiving position.

Because that's easier said than done?

13-14th per year? What about upfront money vs salary? Length of the deal? What would be your escalators? How much do you tie to them? If they are based on catches, yards and probowls why wouldn't I look for a team that's more prolific with better media coverage so I can earn those? What's guaranteed for injury vs skill?

This is an art not a science.

Hagan's a free agent, he's not even currently on the roster.

Hagan is the type you can probably sign til august if you want. He's ours if we decide we want him.

Because that's easier said than done?

13-14th per year? What about upfront money vs salary? Length of the deal? What would be your escalators? How much do you tie to them? If they are based on catches, yards and probowls why wouldn't I look for a team that's more prolific with better media coverage so I can earn those? What's guaranteed for injury vs skill?

This is an art not a science.

Hagan is the type you can probably sign til august if you want. He's ours if we decide we want him.

All i meant by that is there are over 1500 guys playing in the NFL. Everyone has a contract, and every offseason their are scores of WR's looking for a contract. I get each situation is a little different. What throws everything out of wack are the bone head franchises who over pay talent because they think its the final piece, and we all know how that usually ends up. Ask Eagle fans.

It is not a science. It is economics and football all mixed together. If it was a science there would be no negotiations.

1. Most economists consider economics a science. In fact it's grouped in the social sciences ciriculum at most unis. These athletes are in such a short "supply" situation relative to the demand the price is through the roof and classical Econ breaks down.

2. Not art, not football, not science, not economics. This is business. Agents want the most money for the clients and themselves, football teams want the best team they can field with what they are willing to spend.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

That's The AP story. Just filed an extended version with more details. Should be out shortly.

gotta run.

jw

Thanks John, that there is why I always think of you for Buffalo news - your fingers are almost always on it.

Back to the subject, I have been listening to a lot of NFL with Stern being on vacation. They spoke a lot about Johnson, including Polian saying a receiver with 2-1,000 seasons back to back is worth signing but he is still an unpredictable player. He said Dwayne Bowe might have the most talent but is a risky player.

Oh, and some dude called up about dropping Brady and siging Manning because Manning is a beter QB and will have something to prove while Brady seems lost out there.

Edited by jboyst62

Nothing new here. This has been the situation for several months now. SJ is going to free agency. He'd be crazy not to at this point. I think that the Bills still have a chance to retain him if he doesn't get an offer close to what he is asking, but I think it's unlikely.

That's The AP story. Just filed an extended version with more details. Should be out shortly.

gotta run.

jw

The fact that they can be far apart shows me that, predictably, the price has gone up. It's unlikely the Bills went back to Johnson with the same offer he rejected during the season, because that would just be insulting and Johnson's agent probably would not have counter-offered.

The Bills have allowed Johnson to have all the leverage, and they now probably want a do-over on the original offer and are offering Johnson what he initially desired. Of course, Johnson has no financial incentive to take that offer. The fact that they couldn't lock up their young talent at a bargain rate means they have already messed this one up, no matter how things shake out. For the Bills to lose Johnson, it would be a colossal failure that will seriously alienate their fan base. It would reinforce the notion that they are a farm team for the rest of the league, the NFL equivalent of the Kansas City Royals.

I wonder how far apart they are? If he isn't asking for 9 mil... I wonder how much the Bills think he is worth. I'm thinking they cant be offering him less than 7mil. But who knows.

I wonder if they're far apart on another aspect of the deal--maybe the bonus, years, or how the money is spread.

It can't be simply that SJ is stuck on $8m per year, and the Bills are on $5m, then that's not really all that "far apart."

Either the Bills have handled this incredibly poorly, or they do not have strong interest in retaining Stevie. If he is not signed before free agency begins, he will be gone. It feels like the Poz situation all over again, where the team makes noise about wanting to re-sign the player, and then gets outbid once free agency begins. The Bills will claim that the money offered to Stevie was outrageous, but the reality will be that he could have been locked up at a lower price at an earlier point in time (just like with Poz).

The Bills have very little leverage unless they use the tag, which sounds unlikely given the 9.4M tender they would have to pay.

In a year where the team can roll over 21M in cap room, I have little doubt anyone would accept losing SJ especially with the team so mediocre the past 12 seasons.

I wonder if they're far apart on another aspect of the deal--maybe the bonus, years, or how the money is spread.

It can't be simply that SJ is stuck on $8m per year, and the Bills are on $5m, then that's not really all that "far apart."

Good point JR. Now that you mention it, i wouldn't be surprised if something like the signing bonus, years, etc. is what's holding this up. In my opinion they can't be that far off in the base salary. I doubt the Bills would make an offer of less than 7mil. and since Stevie isn't asking for 9mil. If only it was as simple as flipping a coin.

The fact that they can be far apart shows me that, predictably, the price has gone up. It's unlikely the Bills went back to Johnson with the same offer he rejected during the season, because that would just be insulting and Johnson's agent probably would not have counter-offered.

The Bills have allowed Johnson to have all the leverage, and they now probably want a do-over on the original offer and are offering Johnson what he initially desired. Of course, Johnson has no financial incentive to take that offer. The fact that they couldn't lock up their young talent at a bargain rate means they have already messed this one up, no matter how things shake out. For the Bills to lose Johnson, it would be a colossal failure that will seriously alienate their fan base. It would reinforce the notion that they are a farm team for the rest of the league, the NFL equivalent of the Kansas City Royals.

With, as Sirius reported, 400 free agents hitting the market - well, he needs to be careful testing too much of the FA market...

I can't believe guys like Drew Brees and Ray Rice are still unsigned.

Exactly my point - no teams know what to do this year. I expect some shake up in standings in the 2012 season.

The Patriots need WR's so bad that it is pathetic. However, they have so many holes on defense that they cannot commit to the WR position too quickly. Then you factor in their own FA's and they have a headache. Every team has a different variation.

With, as Sirius reported, 400 free agents hitting the market - well, he needs to be careful testing too much of the FA market...

There have been few contract extensions in the weeks after the regular season ended for non-playoff teams and even those who went to the SB. At the same time, the WR market does have several options prior to franchise tags being used: Colston, Bowe, V. Jackson, Garcon, Wayne, Stevie, et al. Despite the options, teams still are going to spend big money to get these players now that good WR's have become so important to offensive and thus team success.

If the Bills do not end up re-signing Stevie, they will sign a lower cost WR. You can argue that this may have worked with Nick Barnett after Poz signed with the Jags, but I really do not have any confidence in this front office. This would send a really bad message to the players.

IMO, Resigning Stevie makes or breaks the credibility of this front office. Nix preaches building through the draft, developing these players and then resigning them. Stevie Johnson is exactly that.

The fanbase will lose it if they don't resign this guy.

When this happens, I hope the fanbase does lose it, and boycott buying all of their bs...I'm so exhausted with this fo...please guys, sign him and make me look foolish!