Kiper mock draft

I think Upshaw is the no-brainer pick much like Dareus was last year. I think he is the closest thing to a "sure fire" prospect in this draft. 4 year starter at a powerhouse school in the SEC. National Championship MVP.

He is built like a rock at 6'3", 270 LB. Just a ferocious hitter. A throwback LB IMO. The anti-thesis of Aaron Maybin. This team is so thin at OLB its scary. You can plug Upshaw in from day 1. Nix did pretty well the last time he took the defensive MVP of the National Championship game from Alabama (Dareus).

You take Upshaw because he is the best "Football Player" on the board. A proven commodity that has performed his entire career at Bama. He also seemed to be a vocal leader of that sick Alabama defense; a Ray Lewis type leader. Just another aspect of him that this team desperately needs. Having him and Dareus would give us a tremendous foundation for our front 7.

I think we stick with a hybrid defense with the 3-4 still being the base D. I also think Upshaw will have no problem performing out of the 4-3. I think you could line him up at DE or OLB in the 4-3 and he will still be successful.

Watching the National Championship sealed it for me: Upshaw all day.

The league has also clearly turned into a passing driven league. If your defense cannot get to the QB, you are pretty much dead in the water. I think getting a pass rusher like Upshaw in the 1st is imperative. We need a LB of his stature that can really take advantage of the double teams that a healthy Willams and Dareus will be eating up.

Upshaw is the total package that can do everything you need a LB to do in today's league. Has the size to take on OT by himself in the pass rush and in run defense.

Like it or not, this team needs two new starting OLB going into next season. Merriman cannot be counted on for anything IMO. Upshaw would be a great start at rebuilding our LB corp.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to get my ass chewed good for this one but here's a few thoughts about Upshaw.

I think that:

- He floats too much

- He may or may not have good straight line speed, but he doesn't play fast in pads

- He takes too many plays off

- He doesn't have the natural athletic ability to play OLB on the NFL

In my limited viewing of him I haven't seen anything that would convince me that he can rush the passer consistently at the next level, I've never seen him force turnovers, I've never seen him drop into coverage and I rarely ever see him making plays outside his limited zone of responsibility. I think he may eventually get moved into an interior LB position and become a 2 down player because he doesn't have a multi-dimensional skill set. He may even end up as an edge-setting DE with some limited pass rush ability; but I just don't see the burst, the agility or the tenacity that indicate he can be a great OLB in the pros.

If it sounds like I'm ragging on him that's not what I mean to do. I do think he can play pro ball and have a decent career, but not in a Top 10 pick sort of way. Heck, I don't even think he's the best LB on his own team; considering that 'Bama is currently sporting the best corps of LBs I've ever seen in the college game, that's certainly not an insult. I just think Hightower is more explosive and instinctive and will make a better pro backer. Even Harris is a better athlete and might be almost as good a prospect if he wasn't so tentative (or maybe he's just not all that sharp and is very slow to process and react). And if Mosley had been blessed with more gifts, his instincts might even make him a prospect as good as Upshaw.

Good player, but not great enough to use a high pick on him, imo. I'm guessing that NFL GM's, who are not prone to fan and media hype, will see it the same way and he won't be selected anywhere near the top of the 1st round.

Solid player, but you don't spend a Top 10 pick on Sam Rogers.

I'm going to get my ass chewed good for this one but here's a few thoughts about Upshaw.

I think that:

- He floats too much

- He may or may not have good straight line speed, but he doesn't play fast in pads

In my limited viewing of him I haven't seen anything that would convince me that he can rush the passer consistently at the next level, I've never seen him force turnovers, I've never seen him drop into coverage and I rarely ever see him making plays outside his limited zone of responsibility. I think he may eventually get moved into an interior LB position and become a 2 down player because he doesn't have a multi-dimensional skill set. He may even end up as an edge-setting DE with some limited pass rush ability; but I just don't see the burst, the agility or the tenacity that indicate he can be a great OLB in the pros.

If it sounds like I'm ragging on him that's not what I mean to do. I do think he can play pro ball and have a decent career, but not in a Top 10 pick sort of way. Heck, I don't even think he's the best LB on his own team; considering that 'Bama is currently sporting the best corps of LBs I've ever seen in the college game, that's certainly not an insult. I just think Hightower is more explosive and instinctive and will make a better pro backer. Even Harris is a better athlete and might be almost as good a prospect if he wasn't so tentative (or maybe he's just not all that sharp and is very slow to process and react). And if Mosley had been blessed with more gifts, his instincts might even make him a prospect as good as Upshaw.

Good player, but not great enough to use a high pick on him, imo. I'm guessing that NFL GM's, who are not prone to fan and media hype, will see it the same way and he won't be selected anywhere near the top of the 1st round.

I have shades of the same concerns. Essentially he's a very good player that will be on a team for a long time but will never be the explosive playmaker that you hope for in a top ten pick. You'll count on him as a starter but probably not a probowler. does that even count as a concern? I'm not sure. Were starting to field an NFL team across the board but we don't seem to have many explosive guys.

I dont think Mularkey is going to take Coples, I think he falls to us and we take him over Upshaw.

Nix says he likes size on a pass rusher, a guy that can disrupt passing lanes even if he can't get in. He says their number one priority is qb pressure and Coples is rated as the 2012 NFL Draft's top 4-3 defensive end and has great size at 6-foot-6.

I think he will be there and I think we will take him.

Just a player that has an

impact PLEASE

Sorry but I gotta go with Whitney Mercilus from Illinois. We might need to trade up in round 2, but he should still be there. This kid may be THE BEST tackler in the Big Ten, and WHAT A MOTOR! While he lacks the ideal size of a 3-4 DE, at 6'4 265, why not convert him to 3-4 OLB? If we stick with the 4-3 scheme The stache-man should be able to convert him to a good 4-3 DE as well.

To be fair, he's had just one break-out season, but during that season his works were significant. He forces alot of fumbles, and creates lots of mayhem in general.

Whitney Mercilus is prototypical, blue-collar, Buffalo material. In the spirit of Darryl Talley, and Cornelius Bennett. (yes, I went there.) There's no doubt in my mind that he'll have an immediate, positive, effect on our defense, if drafted.

Edited by #34fan

I think Upshaw is the no-brainer pick much like Dareus was last year. I think he is the closest thing to a "sure fire" prospect in this draft. 4 year starter at a powerhouse school in the SEC. National Championship MVP.

He is built like a rock at 6'3", 270 LB. Just a ferocious hitter. A throwback LB IMO. The anti-thesis of Aaron Maybin. This team is so thin at OLB its scary. You can plug Upshaw in from day 1. Nix did pretty well the last time he took the defensive MVP of the National Championship game from Alabama (Dareus).

You take Upshaw because he is the best "Football Player" on the board. A proven commodity that has performed his entire career at Bama. He also seemed to be a vocal leader of that sick Alabama defense; a Ray Lewis type leader. Just another aspect of him that this team desperately needs. Having him and Dareus would give us a tremendous foundation for our front 7.

I think we stick with a hybrid defense with the 3-4 still being the base D. I also think Upshaw will have no problem performing out of the 4-3. I think you could line him up at DE or OLB in the 4-3 and he will still be successful.

Watching the National Championship sealed it for me: Upshaw all day.

The league has also clearly turned into a passing driven league. If your defense cannot get to the QB, you are pretty much dead in the water. I think getting a pass rusher like Upshaw in the 1st is imperative. We need a LB of his stature that can really take advantage of the double teams that a healthy Willams and Dareus will be eating up.

Upshaw is the total package that can do everything you need a LB to do in today's league. Has the size to take on OT by himself in the pass rush and in run defense.

Like it or not, this team needs two new starting OLB going into next season. Merriman cannot be counted on for anything IMO. Upshaw would be a great start at rebuilding our LB corp.

you've convninced me. If Rief and Upshaw are both available, it would seem that Upshaw is the strongest candidate for the number 10 pick. Of course there is the senior bowl, the camp and all the mock drafts that will be going on, but as of now I agree that Upshaw looks to be the best choice of available candidates. That's assuming Luck, Griffin, Blackmon, Kahlil go, as they should, in the first five picks.

I think that:

- He floats too much

You're describing Hightower more so than Upshaw. Upshaw is the playmaker of the Alabama LB corps. Hightower, especially against Georgia Southern, took off plays and was a step slower than an FCS option team. Obviously, pros will be bigger and faster than a college option team. Upshaw has been more consistent in each Bama game that I watched this year. As far as his pass defending, that is an unknown because he did not drop into pass coverage much. I do remember him having an INT return for a TD against Florida this year. As far as questioning his ability to get sacks and hurry the QB, you're way off base. Led the team in sacks, led the team in tackles for loss, BCS Championship Defensive MVP. That says a lot. Alabama plays a similar style "hybrid" defense that the Bills are going for. As others have said, Upshaw is versatile enough to fill the Bills OLB role effectively.

Edited by buffaloaggie

I think that:

- He floats too much

Bingo!

Agree 100%!!!

This is a Top 10 Pick Folks...Upshaw is not a Top 10 Talent in this or any other Draft...Good Player...But there will be at least a couple perennial Pro-Bowl caliber players available at #10...And IMHO Upshaw is not one of them...I don't think he's as good as LaMarr Woodley coming out...And Woodley was a 2nd Round Pick...This Pick has the classic potential to back-fire if The Bills follow the opinion of many Fans and get blinded by Pass Rush need...There are no stand-out Pass Rushers in this Draft worthy of #10 overall...At least not now they're not...There are certainly players that can develop into great Pass Rushers...But it's a major risk at #10, especially considering there should be more solid options at other positions available... B-)

Bingo!

Agree 100%!!!

This is a Top 10 Pick Folks...Upshaw is not a Top 10 Talent in this or any other Draft...Good Player...But there will be at least a couple perennial Pro-Bowl caliber players available at #10...And IMHO Upshaw is not one of them...I don't think he's as good as LaMarr Woodley coming out...And Woodley was a 2nd Round Pick...This Pick has the classic potential to back-fire if The Bills follow the opinion of many Fans and get blinded by Pass Rush need...There are no stand-out Pass Rushers in this Draft worthy of #10 overall...At least not now they're not...There are certainly players that can develop into great Pass Rushers...But it's a major risk at #10, especially considering there should be more solid options at other positions available... B-)

Who?

The debate was about Von Miller being a top ten pick last year, and he did pretty well this year as the #2 pick. Upshaw accomplished a great deal in college. He has proven himself against the best competition. Yes, we can go OT if one is there and come back to get a DE in the 2nd round. You can debate that. The Bills have many holes to fill, but Upshaw will be a huge asset on D for the team that gets him.

I think that:

- He floats too much

"He floats too much, .... He does not make plays away from his area of responsibliity.... He takes plays off.

Let me suggest this. He is diciplined and he stays where he belongs fitting in the gaps he is supposed to be in - your right he is where he is supposed to be. Also if you notice in the BCS game Upshaw make most of his tackles in the first half. They ran away from him the rest of the game. He stayed home there was no need to roam around. the rest of the Bama D was doing just fine. I am not sure what floating too much means, perhaps you could be more specific as to what you saw? I did notice in the second half when the play was away from him he was standing at the end several time but I am not sure what his assignment was. When the overall D is playing that well it's hard to tell.

You're describing Hightower more so than Upshaw. Upshaw is the playmaker of the Alabama LB corps. Hightower, especially against Georgia Southern, took off plays and was a step slower than an FCS option team. Obviously, pros will be bigger and faster than a college option team. Upshaw has been more consistent in each Bama game that I watched this year. As far as his pass defending, that is an unknown because he did not drop into pass coverage much. I do remember him having an INT return for a TD against Florida this year. As far as questioning his ability to get sacks and hurry the QB, you're way off base. Led the team in sacks, led the team in tackles for loss, BCS Championship Defensive MVP. That says a lot. Alabama plays a similar style "hybrid" defense that the Bills are going for. As others have said, Upshaw is versatile enough to fill the Bills OLB role effectively.

Yes 100%!

IM believing itll be either UPSHAW or HIGHTOWER.. no way hightower falls to a second . either way both players are being compared to future versions of lamar woodley(upshaw) or brian urlacher(hightower) ,, me personally id take hightower,you cant go wrong either one. imo. Or both, with cleveland and cinci having multiple picks this year its a possibilty that a trade back into the first is possible, itd take this years 2 and nexts years ,with a sweetener such as a 4th or a player but that could get us another pick in the 20s,,

To the people saying that Upshaw isn't the pass rusher we're looking for:

Alabama's defense faced the fewest snaps of any defense among the top pass rushing prospects by a significant amount. There were simply less plays and less pass rushing situations for Upshaw to really get after the QB.

Still, he finishes 2nd in all of college football in negative plays per snap (Sacks & tackles for loss). That sounds like the disruptive player we need at LB.

Sammy Brown ( 1045 - 13.5 sacks / 30TFL) - 1 sack / 77.4 - 1 TFL / 34.83 snaps - 1 neg play / 24.02 snaps

Upshaw (720 snaps 10 sacks / 18TFL ) 1 sack/ 72 snaps - 1 TFL/40 snaps - 1 negative play/ 25.7 snaps

Vinny Curry ( 930 - 11 sacks / 22 TFL) 1 sack / 84.54 - 1 TFL / 42.27 - 1 neg play / 28.18 snaps

Mercilus (842 snaps 16 sacks / 22.5) 1 sack/ 52.6 snaps - 1 TFL/37.42 snaps - 1 negative play / 29.54 snaps

Melvin Ingram (835 snaps - 10 sacks/ 15 TFL) 1 sack / 83.5 snaps - 1 TFL/ 55.67 - I neg play / 33.4 snaps

Andre Branch ( 986 - 10.5 sacks / 17 TFL) 1 sack / 93.9 snaps - 1 TFL / 58 snaps - 1 neg play / 35.85 snaps

Nick Perry (826 snaps - 9.5 sacks / 13 TFL) 1 sack / 86.94 snaps - 1 TFL / 63.5 - 1 neg play / 36.71

Quinton Coples ( 907 snaps - 7.5 sacks / 15 TFL) 1 sack / 120.93 - 1 TFL / 60.47 - 1 neg play / 40.31 snaps

- not my work. Taken from another Bills MB. compliments of admarc. Just thought I would share this with you guys to give you an idea of how these guys stack up.

I think its a little interesting the Coples is at the bottom of this list. He may have the ideal size but football is about more then ideal size. Too many question marks with that kid to spend a top 10 pick on him

Edited by ShhitGoose

I think that:

- He floats too much

Even though I disagree with your post in almost its entirety I will only point out the flaws in the bolded sections...

First you have limited viewing but already know he has a low ceiling? How are you making an assesment without knowledge?

Second you name 2 other player who would be better than him if... doesn't that make them not as good as him?

Lastly, I know they are only mocks but the latest I have seen him go in any mock is 17. So middle to top of the round looks like the floor of where he will be picked.

If we stay in the hybrid.

Who?

The debate was about Von Miller being a top ten pick last year, and he did pretty well this year as the #2 pick. Upshaw accomplished a great deal in college. He has proven himself against the best competition. Yes, we can go OT if one is there and come back to get a DE in the 2nd round. You can debate that. The Bills have many holes to fill, but Upshaw will be a huge asset on D for the team that gets him.

My point was general...Every Draft there are perennial Pro-Bowl Players available at #10...I'm not a genie, or an NFL Scout...But I promise you there will be a few perennial Pro-Bowlers available at #10, and it's just my opinion...that's all...but I don't think Upshaw will be one of them...If The Bills Draft him at #10, I hope I'm wrong...

If you want more specific names I would absolutely take Jonathan Martin, Alshon Jeffery, and Micheal Floyd (assuming he can stay off the freaking booze) ahead of Upshaw...I'm sure there will be more names by April...

To me, The Bills Drafting Upshaw at #10 would be akin to when the Chiefs Drafted Tyson Jackson at #3 Overall a few years back...You'll get a decent Player...But there will be a few you pass at other Positions that will be MUCH better down the line...And again that is strictly my opinion based on what I've seen over the past couple years...There are plenty around here who are not impressed with Alshon Jeffery...I think he's going to be the next Larry Fitzgerald...we'll see... B-)

My point was general...Every Draft there are perennial Pro-Bowl Players available at #10...I'm not a genie, or an NFL Scout...But I promise you there will be a few perennial Pro-Bowlers available at #10, and it's just my opinion...that's all...but I don't think Upshaw will be one of them...If The Bills Draft him at #10, I hope I'm wrong...

If you want more specific names I would absolutely take Jonathan Martin, Alshon Jeffery, and Micheal Floyd (assuming he can stay off the freaking booze) ahead of Upshaw...I'm sure there will be more names by April...

To me, The Bills Drafting Upshaw at #10 would be akin to when the Chiefs Drafted Tyson Jackson at #3 Overall a few years back...You'll get a decent Player...But there will be a few you pass at other Positions that will be MUCH better down the line...And again that is strictly my opinion based on what I've seen over the past couple years...There are plenty around here who are not impressed with Alshon Jeffery...I think he's going to be the next Larry Fitzgerald...we'll see... B-)

A lot of that depends on who throws the ball to him.

A lot of that depends on who throws the ball to him.

No question...

And as a Bills Fan who has always had serious reservations about Fitz it surprises even me that I would prefer The Bills take Jeffery if he's there at #10...But I think no matter who The Bills trot out at QB, Jeffery will be a HUGE addition...And I'm assuming Stevie will be back...Which I realize is not a given...But if so that would give The Bills SJ, Jeffery, Nelson, and probably Easley at 1-4...That's pretty strong...Add Freddie, CJ, and Chandler...Now you're building a Playoff caliber Offense...If there is a Defensive Player available at #10 that can have the same sort of impact Jeffery can for The Bills then I'm all for it...But I don't see that guy in this Draft...And The Bills don't Trade up or down...So...I'm hoping for Jeffery... B-)

To the people saying that Upshaw isn't the pass rusher we're looking for:

Alabama's defense faced the fewest snaps of any defense among the top pass rushing prospects by a significant amount. There were simply less plays and less pass rushing situations for Upshaw to really get after the QB.

Still, he finishes 2nd in all of college football in negative plays per snap (Sacks & tackles for loss). That sounds like the disruptive player we need at LB.

Sammy Brown ( 1045 - 13.5 sacks / 30TFL) - 1 sack / 77.4 - 1 TFL / 34.83 snaps - 1 neg play / 24.02 snaps

Upshaw (720 snaps 10 sacks / 18TFL ) 1 sack/ 72 snaps - 1 TFL/40 snaps - 1 negative play/ 25.7 snaps

Vinny Curry ( 930 - 11 sacks / 22 TFL) 1 sack / 84.54 - 1 TFL / 42.27 - 1 neg play / 28.18 snaps

Mercilus (842 snaps 16 sacks / 22.5) 1 sack/ 52.6 snaps - 1 TFL/37.42 snaps - 1 negative play / 29.54 snaps

Melvin Ingram (835 snaps - 10 sacks/ 15 TFL) 1 sack / 83.5 snaps - 1 TFL/ 55.67 - I neg play / 33.4 snaps

Andre Branch ( 986 - 10.5 sacks / 17 TFL) 1 sack / 93.9 snaps - 1 TFL / 58 snaps - 1 neg play / 35.85 snaps

Nick Perry (826 snaps - 9.5 sacks / 13 TFL) 1 sack / 86.94 snaps - 1 TFL / 63.5 - 1 neg play / 36.71

Quinton Coples ( 907 snaps - 7.5 sacks / 15 TFL) 1 sack / 120.93 - 1 TFL / 60.47 - 1 neg play / 40.31 snaps

- not my work. Taken from another Bills MB. compliments of admarc. Just thought I would share this with you guys to give you an idea of how these guys stack up.

I think its a little interesting the Coples is at the bottom of this list. He may have the ideal size but football is about more then ideal size. Too many question marks with that kid to spend a top 10 pick on him

Thank you, very interesting stats!!!

I still think Reiff is gonna fall to us :thumbsup:

Notice, Mel thinks the Fish take him, meaning he would play RT - no way he replaces Jake Long.

And that my friends is what he'll be in the NFL. If we're looking for a true LT, "move along please, move a long . . . "

Notice, Mel thinks the Fish take him, meaning he would play RT - no way he replaces Jake Long.

And that my friends is what he'll be in the NFL. If we're looking for a true LT, "move along please, move a long . . . "

Jake Long is one of the best LTs in the game, if not the best. If Reiff was drafted by the Bills he could be a quality LT for us and better than what we have now. Each team has different circumstances affecting how and where you play players. What might not be the best situation for one team might be a good situation for another.

The Bills have a number of position needs. If a higher rated OT is on the board than LB/DE then I would have no problem taking an OT. What this team desperately needs to do is make their picks count. I thought they did an excellent job drafting last year, better than the prior year.

Not all needs are going to be met in one draft. The way to improve is to add talent to the team regardless of positin (for the most part) and continue to work to upgrade the roster. Drafting for needs and over-reaching is a recipe for disaster. That is how you end up with a Maybin pick.

Too much attention is paid to the first pick. The real value picks come into play in the second and third round selections. The first round selection should mostly focus on the talent level.

Agreed...

I wonder what The Bills would do should Martin drop top them...Which admittedly is looking less likely by the day...But Reiff to me will be out of The Bills consideration...He's a duplication of talent...Good Player, but not at a need area... B-)

Im not sold on Reiff or Martin with the 10th pick. I think there are a couple pretty good LTs we cam snag in the 2nd or 3rd. The Datko kid out of Florida St is interesting.

Im of the opinion that we need to go defensive front 7 with the our 10th pick. We need an impact pass rusher period. The NFL is a passing league now and if your defense can't disrupt the QB and cause him some pain, its not very useful. I still think Upshaw is a match made in heaven for this team. Big, mean OLB built like a rock that led the National Championship defense in sacks and was the MVP of National Championship game which is defense totally dominated. He also finished 2nd of all the major pass rushing prospects in impact plays (Sacks & Tackles for loss per play). Alabama's defense was so good this year, they only faced 720 snaps. Meaning Upshaw had less opportunities to get sacks. When you level the playing field with the negative plays per snap, Upshaw rises to the top. He is an extremely hard worker and the closest thing to a "Sure thing" in the draft. His floor is very high and he has the ceiling to become a Terrell Suggs type player from the OLB spot. I just don't think Upshaw should be punished in some posters eyes because his defense was so dominant that he had less opportunities to get sacks. He also provides leader ship.

Like it or not, OLB is the biggest need on this defense. We need 2 new starting OLB's. I am not counting on Merriman for anything and I think Kelsay should not be an every down OLB.

We need a couple dynamic pass rushers to take advantage of the double teams that a healthy Kyle Willams and Marcell Dareus will be eating up play after play.

• 4 weeks later...

In his MOCK 2.0, Kiper still has the Bills taking Upshaw

This is another pick that I'm staying with for now. The pass rush still needs a lot of help, and Upshaw is currently the best 3-4 outside linebacker in the draft. Even as Buffalo looks to shift that defense to a 4-3 (see Denver's draft strategy at No. 2 last year) Upshaw can still easily fit. Don't pass talent because of small scheme questions. He should be able to apply a lot of pressure to opposing quarterbacks from the edge for whoever gets him for 2012. Remember, nobody on the Bills managed more than 5.5 sacks in 2011, and as a team, they simply haven't been able to get pressure unless they bring numbers. This is an energetic talent, an edge linebacker in the mold of a more athletic LaMarr Woodley, a guy who has been well-coached and can start early.

Coples to Jax at #7, Ingram and Martin go #12 and #13 respectively. He has only RG3 and Luck going in the first round at QB. Top ten is the same except for Brockers DT LSU replacing Dre Kirkpatrick. Not surprisingly, he has the Bengals at 17 taking the drug busted Kirkpatrick.

Edited by buffaloaggie

He's more of a 2 year starter, and measured only 6'1" at the Senior Bowl.

I don't think Upshaw has the size to play DE or the ability in space to play OLB in a 43 as an everydown player. He seems to be a perfect fit as a 34 OLB. I wouldn't hate it if he is the pick, but I'd be concerned about how they would plan to use him.

He's more of a 2 year starter, and measured only 6'1" at the Senior Bowl.

I don't think Upshaw has the size to play DE or the ability in space to play OLB in a 43 as an everydown player. He seems to be a perfect fit as a 34 OLB. I wouldn't hate it if he is the pick, but I'd be concerned about how they would plan to use him.

Elvis Dumervil at 5'11 260 has been pretty effective at DE. I don't think Upshaw will have an issue with his size having 2 1/2 inches and 13 lbs on Dumervil.

Courtney Upshaw is NOT a top 10 pick....

here's an every play video from the LSU championship game.

i myself think he projects better at inside LB.....he's not fast enough for OLB and not strong enough to play DE.

youtube.com/watch?v=N2NGJD_naF0

I say follow the Giants' blueprint. First rule is you don't pick players who don't have the proper NFL size to fit the position you're drafting for. You DON'T draft Upshaw thinking he'll follow the LONE exception to the rule as in the case of Dwight Freeney.

I could see the Bills either picking a guy like Michael Floyd, the perfect tall-sized receiver to put opposite Stevie Johnson, or if they do go DE, they'll pick Whitney Mercilus who has the perfect size to play 4-3 DE. I don't see them going OLB, OL or CB in the first.

I know you people won't believe it until you see it, but Courtney Upshaw will do just fine in a 4-3 defense.

I Agree. And I assume you mean as an OLB?

Too many folks here are stuck in a mindset that says 4-3 == Tampa2 4-3 where the LB's tend to be small cover guys.

That's not the "standard" 4-3, that I am assuming Wanny has in mind.

It might be instructive to look back at some of his prior defenses and see what sort of athletes he was looking for at the various spots.

I say follow the Giants' blueprint. First rule is you don't pick players who don't have the proper NFL size to fit the position you're drafting for. You DON'T draft Upshaw thinking he'll follow the LONE exception to the rule as in the case of Dwight Freeney.

I could see the Bills either picking a guy like Michael Floyd, the perfect tall-sized receiver to put opposite Stevie Johnson, or if they do go DE, they'll pick Whitney Mercilus who has the perfect size to play 4-3 DE. I don't see them going OLB, OL or CB in the first.

Upshaw is bigger than Freeney, but I am not even projecting him to 4-3 DE - I'm lining him up as a 4-3 OLB who can both blitz and play the run.

Courtney Upshaw is NOT a top 10 pick....

here's an every play video from the LSU championship game.

i myself think he projects better at inside LB.....he's not fast enough for OLB and not strong enough to play DE.

youtube.com/watch?v=N2NGJD_naF0

Yeah, anyone who wins the Defensive MVP award must not have had a good game...

Not fast enough, but chases down the RB on a pitchout at the 45sec mark. I'm only 1 min into the video and he has been in on EVERY play so far.

Not sure this video helps your point.

Edited by DrDareustein

Ill admit that I have defnitely not been on the Upshaw bandwagon but I have to admit that idk if there is a more surefire pick when it comes to this draft than him. So many good players end up coming out of the later rounds of the draft or at least better than many taken before them, and with 9 total picks Buffalo has the opportunity to add a lot of young talent to this team. Having 9 picks this year is perfect given our lack of depth.

One thing to keep in mind is that given our DE situation and how bad it is, we can take guys in later rounds that are still upgrades from what we have. Giving some young guys many people passed on an opportunity to play and earn time on the field can end up developing them into a better player. (By no means am I saying wait until the later rounds to take a DE because I want Vinny Curry in the second regardless)

We know Upshaw can get to the passer and just flat out play football so even if we are switching to a 4 man front it doesn't matter. A guy like him who can fit into so many schemes also might allow Wannstead to draw up some nice blitz packages with a guy like upshaw for offenses to worry about.

Also I know this isn't a stat but I don't think anyone packs more power per hit/tackle than this guy does and he plays against the run like an immovable object for offensive lines.

First of all does anybody have an accuracy hit rate on these popular mock drafts? Are these guys right HALF the time? I honestly don't know, but I do know that the national media usually has no idea of what's going on with our team, even when we're winning.

Chan has indicated in the past month that we're going to likely install an EVEN number on the front line. This doesn't mean 2 folks, it means they're going to favor a 4-3, consistent with Wanny's experience.

The problem is this draft doesn't seem to be very strong with 4-3 pass rushers, true defensive ends like Coples, who might not be there when we pick anyway. So we have Dareus' old teammate Upshaw who seems very solid at LB but isn't an NFL sackmaster by any means. (6'2, short arms, always played 3-4) So here we go again with the Best Player Available debate.

We need better QB pressure (as do the vast majority of teams in the league) and we have the 10th overall pick. In a 4-3 that means you need a stud DE, NOT a linebacker like Upshaw. But he's probably the best FRONT 7 guy on the board after Miami picks. Kiper thinks they'll take him anyway and probably hope we get a top 5 DE that works out in the second round.

I don't agree. I think Nix is going to roll the dice on the best big DE available and get his 4-3 LB in the second round. We need another draft year like last year, I hope the scouting department comes through for us here.....