Routt CB

syrcuse315

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see signing Routt as similar to signing Florence a few years ago. Guy coming off being cut/a huge contract and didn't play up to expectations but is still pocketing A LOT of money from his former team. Will probably sign in the 4-6 million range, saves the team a draft pick and fills the need of a CB to play with Williams and Florence.

I think Routt can really excel as a #2/3. He did it in Oakland when he was #2 with Asomugha, he just wasn't good enough as a #1 and that showed in his increased amount of penalties IMO.

I say let go of Florence ( I really do believe he's the disease of the team and I hate his play ). Let go of McGee. Keep McKelvin ( just in case the corners need to get blaimed for poor play he's at least experienced in that dept. ) Start Williams. Start Rogers ( Chan don't give me no crap about we didn't want to start him at corner AND have him returning kicks ). Then draft a corner and pick up two free agent corners all who should give Rogers competition and maybe beat him to a starting role. Oh and let Reggie walk also unless he can come back for a decent price.

$6.5mil/year is simply way too much.

I'd probably put him on par with Florence so I'd say 4.5 - 5.5 would be decent market value. Some guys are worth the overpay, I don't think this guy was one of them. The question is when the guy who is worth it comes around does Buddy pull the trigger?

I'd probably put him on par with Florence so I'd say 4.5 - 5.5 would be decent market value. Some guys are worth the overpay, I don't think this guy was one of them. The question is when the guy who is worth it comes around does Buddy pull the trigger?

Agreed that he's about on par with Flo.

The question isnt about Buddy. It's up to the money guys. Buddy can just make his case for how badly they need/want a certain player.

If Routt was looking for $6mil+/season, I hope they were all in agreement to move on.

Edited by DrDareustein

He didn't like the city of Buffalo and didn't want to be here. The Bills don't get into bidding wars. CB isn't a huge priority. Routt is overrated and his new team paid too much. You don't build through free agency. Sometimes free agents don't play to their contract, so it's a big risk to sign the higher priced ones.

I don't care about Routt, but it's got to be alarming that Buffalo isn't signing as many guys as they have interest in. I think free agency will be a let-down for those believing the Bills will spend money.

Yes, free agency is typically underwhelming, but there are some who wish upon a star that Littmann will open RW's piggy bank and let Buddy Nix go Pac Man Jones every year.

It would be nice if (for once), on the rare occasions they decide to spend quality money, they'd strike gold on the right player(s) instead of dropping major ducats on the Langston Walkers & Derrick Dockerys of the world. Their inability to determine the proper people on who to spend money is more disturbing to me than the perception/fact that they don't always seem willing to spend.

It would be nice if (for once), on the rare occasions they decide to spend quality money, they'd strike gold on the right player(s) instead of dropping major ducats on the Langston Walkers & Derrick Dockerys of the world. Their inability to determine the proper people on who to spend money is more disturbing to me than the perception/fact that they don't always seem willing to spend.

Over the past few years, the number of quality free agents hitting the open market has diminished quite a bit. Not saying there are no good players to be had but there isnt a luxury of riches. And about Clabo (cos someone just mentioned him), we made a pretty decent offer and it appears that he was just using the Bills for leverage in his negotiations so technically money was not the deciding factor for him.

It is a brutal combination, which is one of the main reasons we have the longest playoff draught in the NFL. Our talent evaluation of NFL free agents has just been brutal for the past 5-7 years. (After we signed Takeo and Sam Adams) This is a big year for free agents. We have a ton of money under the cap. And we can transfer up to 21 million from last years cap to this years cap as well. There is absolutely no excuse for us not being in the bidding for every good free agent that is at a need position for us. This team needs at least 5 good free agents to mix into the offense and defense. (At least 2 playmakers on offense, and three playmakers on defense) We do that we can take the best offensive tackle with the tenth pick and hopefully take Hightower from Alabama in the second round, and than bring in depth with our other draft picks. Having drafted so poorly for the past decade, the top end talent on our roster is minimal. There is no way we will ever compete for the playoffs regardless of how well we draft, unless we fortify the roster with some strong free agents.

So everyone who thinks that we "have to resign Stevie Johnson". That is only a small part of the equation. The guy who is throwing to him is not an NFL starting QB. The Defense has been dreadful the past many seasons. So let us pray that One Bills Drive cares as much as its fan base, and spends what it HAS TO to land some marquee talent.

And btw, Drayton Florence STINKS!! He would not start for just about any other team in the NFL. The sooner he is cut, the better.

Recognizing the value of football players starts with hiring people at the top that have the knowledge required, then letting them have the authority to make the moves they feel are necessary to make the team a contender. Since that is against the Bills' organizational policies, the players drafted, brought in from free agency, overpaid or allowed to leave will always be poorly done because those two criteria are not important to Wilson and his representatives.

The strongest evidence that the organization is either clueless about how to do it right, or doesn't want to, is Wilson's refusal to believe that the team should be run by elite football people. He has inadvertantly admitted that by some of the dumb things he has said over the years. Such as a few years back when he publicly stated that he believes getting the right players to win a championship is a matter of "luck." That's happened a couple of times in five decades but it may never happen again.

We need an owner that will build an organization that appreciates the skills of top GMs and coaches, and makes hiring them the prelude to building a championship team.

Recognizing the value of football players starts with hiring people at the top that have the knowledge required, then letting them have the authority to make the moves they feel are necessary to make the team a contender. Since that is against the Bills' organizational policies, the players drafted, brought in from free agency, overpaid or allowed to leave will always be poorly done because those two criteria are not important to Wilson and his representatives.

The strongest evidence that the organization is either clueless about how to do it right, or doesn't want to, is Wilson's refusal to believe that the team should be run by elite football people. He has inadvertantly admitted that by some of the dumb things he has said over the years. Such as a few years back when he publicly stated that he believes getting the right players to win a championship is a matter of "luck." That's happened a couple of times in five decades but it may never happen again.

We need an owner that will build an organization that appreciates the skills of top GMs and coaches, and makes hiring them the prelude to building a championship team.

i think Nix is the right guy to judge talent. in two drafts the only pick i dont like is Troup.

I don't think KC's contract with Routt is an example of spending "good" money.

It's spending money, sure. The fact remains, however, that the player had a bunch of question marks, notably, his ability to adjust to the new NFL rules (the reason for so many penalties last year) and relearning how to play CB from what made him previously successful that really made an investment in him risky.

I am in the minority here probably but I am glad that the Bills did not win the Routt sweepstakes based on those contract numbers.

It's spending money, sure. The fact remains, however, that the player had a bunch of question marks, notably, his ability to adjust to the new NFL rules (the reason for so many penalties last year) and relearning how to play CB from what made him previously successful that really made an investment in him risky.

I am in the minority here probably but I am glad that the Bills did not win the Routt sweepstakes based on those contract numbers.

Im with you. He's not better than Florence, and doesnt deserve that much money.

That's fine, although Pioli has a much better record than Nix when it comes to talent evaluation.

Now that the deal has been done and we can see the dollars, i agree completely. Being as desperate as i am for bringing in talent i will now consider this a wise move on our part.

So how much is Carr asking? Is this a player worth paying high dollar for? for us? right now?

I know this is likely not a choice the Bills have or are going to make, but consider this: what if they gave money to Routt that prohibited them from getting Mario Williams?

I hate the idea of early CB picks, but if they find a very good one in round 2, given the new draft salary cap, I am more than happy to see that happen given what we're contending with in the AFC East and a passing league.

That's fine, although Pioli has a much better record than Nix when it comes to talent evaluation.

What empirical evidence supports this statement? Personnel on a roster, as well as team record, is the end result of a complex combination of so many variables (available talent, cap room (in past years), roster holes/strengths at any given time, personnel/strengths of divisional opponents, offensive and defensive schemes employed, coaches' preferences, quality of scouting, and on and on) that I'd argue you need to be in the room for every discussion to be able to judge the quality of a GM's evaluation skills. To my knowledge, we don't have any posters in the room.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I think we are all going to be surprised with the amount of money some free agents are going to receive this year. There are teams with a ton of cap space, and they are going to spend silly. You may think that KC overpaid for Routt, but we should wait to make that judgment until the free agency period is over.

I see the fact that KC paid so much money for Routt a sign that the Bills plan to be more aggressive in free agency this off season.

KC must have had the price bid up from somewhere. The Bills were the first team to show interest in him. Routt said really good things about Buffalo and seemed excited at the thought of coming here. I wouldn't doubt that the Bills were willing to overpay him a little but set a limit. Im glad to see they didn't cross their limit.

In my mind being more aggressive in free agency isn't normally such a good thing. Most of the time all thats available is krap. There seems to be some interesting opportunities this year but for the right price. Build through the draft!

i think Nix is the right guy to judge talent. in two drafts the only pick i dont like is Troup.

Hard to predict if a guy gets injured. there was nothing in his pre draft to even suggest that would happen. The kid is simply huge btw. The other player at that spot was Terrance Cody who had serious concerns about his conditioning pre draft. I think Buddy made the right call between those two players

I see the fact that KC paid so much money for Routt a sign that the Bills plan to be more aggressive in free agency this off season.

KC must have had the price bid up from somewhere. The Bills were the first team to show interest in him. Routt said really good things about Buffalo and seemed excited at the thought of coming here. I wouldn't doubt that the Bills were willing to overpay him a little but set a limit. Im glad to see they didn't cross their limit.

In my mind being more aggressive in free agency isn't normally such a good thing. Most of the time all thats available is krap. There seems to be some interesting opportunities this year but for the right price. Build through the draft!

Although the Bills may have been the first team that Routt visited with, an article from this afternoon on ESPN.com says that the Titans and the Vikings were among the other teams considering Routt besides the Chiefs. They don't even mention the Bills. Sure Routt said some nice things about the Bills, which you would expect a free agent visitor to do, but I doubt the Bills were the reason KC had to spend "so much." Unfortunately, as usual, I wouldn't expect the Bills to be major players in Free Agency this year.

Edited by Tommy

Actually you're in the majority.

Since the "disclosure of terms" on Routt's new deal with Kansas City, not one single poster has said that the Bills should have signed him for that amount.

Actually you're in the majority.

Since the "disclosure of terms" on Routt's new deal with Kansas City, not one single poster has said that the Bills should have signed him for that amount.

I won't argue but I probably wouldn't have been terribly upset either if we signed him at those terms. I think he's better than last years showing. I would've preferred closer to 3 for 15 ultimately a reliable clear cut starter on the market for just about any position seems to be creeping past that 5m mark.

It is almost impossible to know how good any defensive back is without a decent pass rush, and almost any spending on any CB without having a pass rush doesn't help your team much, because without a pass rush, great CBs are turned into pretty good ones and damn good ones are turned into crappy ones.