Routt CB

syrcuse315

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we could get everything we needed, then fine. But it's a bit of a waste to spend a lot of money on a CB when we are at least average at that position. We have a glaring need for a pass rusher, wide receiver and offensive lineman. I'd rather get a solid CB later in the draft but if he's as good as they say, and we get a star through FA at one of our weak positions, then fine.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7559875/oakland-raiders-release-starting-cornerback-stanford-routt

He may ask for too much money than buffalo is willing to spend but he is a 7 year veteran who could be a huge upgrade alongside Aaron Williams building his starter role. I know there are lots of CB's in F.A. that may be better fits but I'm curious to see what people think of him.

I personally have no knowledge of him at all but I am a Golden State Warriors fan (sucker for losing I guess) and all the Raider folk on their message board could not be happier about getting rid of him. The consensous was that he was getting burned regularly on deep routes which lead to the league higest number of TDs given up and penalties. Basically, he had one good year with the top corner in the league across from him, was rewarded for it, and then they realized that he was terrible and way overpaid. Like I said, I have no personal knowledge, just relaying the consesous from some Raider fans in Oakland.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7559875/oakland-raiders-release-starting-cornerback-stanford-routt

He may ask for too much money than buffalo is willing to spend but he is a 7 year veteran who could be a huge upgrade alongside Aaron Williams building his starter role. I know there are lots of CB's in F.A. that may be better fits but I'm curious to see what people think of him.

I clicked on the link which I usually don't do. I'm glad it wasn't Peter Pan, but.....

Did you see the guy's picture? He is a fat white guy. How many fat white corners have you seen worth that kind of payday?

If we could get everything we needed, then fine. But it's a bit of a waste to spend a lot of money on a CB when we are at least average at that position. We have a glaring need for a pass rusher, wide receiver and offensive lineman. I'd rather get a solid CB later in the draft but if he's as good as they say, and we get a star through FA at one of our weak positions, then fine.

he isn't going to cost as much as people think. the Raiders are going to have to pay him $5 million this year on top of whatever his new team pays him. It is expected that will drive his price way down.

I clicked on the link which I usually don't do. I'm glad it wasn't Peter Pan, but.....

Did you see the guy's picture? He is a fat white guy. How many fat white corners have you seen worth that kind of payday?

hahahahahahaa.

I would obviously rather have Finnegan but dear god this would be a great signing. He is a very talented corner with a ton of upside who had an adjustment year last year.

Hard to tell what to think of DB's sometimes...somewhere, I bet, some NFL GM is licking his chops, just waiting for Leodis McKelvin to be released.

I personally have no knowledge of him at all but I am a Golden State Warriors fan (sucker for losing I guess) and all the Raider folk on their message board could not be happier about getting rid of him. The consensous was that he was getting burned regularly on deep routes which lead to the league higest number of TDs given up and penalties. Basically, he had one good year with the top corner in the league across from him, was rewarded for it, and then they realized that he was terrible and way overpaid. Like I said, I have no personal knowledge, just relaying the consesous from some Raider fans in Oakland.

Drayton Florence in jax?

Buddy asleep at the wheel again. I bet the titans called first. Typical Buffalo I'm so done with this team, Ralph is cheap, I think Brady just sneezed, Fitz isn't the answer and Stevie is more of a number 2

Did I miss any?

Just one: Metz, like Chandler, is slow and white.

Do we really need a played named Cortland? Or a Finnegan?

Finnegan

Every time I hear that last name, I think of that classic scene.

The other reason Finnegan is an infamous name to me is because I lost a girlfriend in 10th grade to a guy named Finnegan.

As for Routt, I'm not for or against.

I'll officially be for or against when I find out what he's being offered/what he signed for. Otherwise the discussion is irrelevant. Would anyone be AGAINST signing him for the veteran minimum? Of course not. Would anyone be happy if we offered him 4 years at $20 million with $12 million guaranteed? Of course not.

The discussion is irrelevant without a discussion of what he would cost.

Id rather spend the money on Mario Williams, and draft another Aaron Williams in the 2nd, after we draft a pas rusher in the 1st.

Adding Williams, a rookie DE/OLB, and a rookie CB will help our Defense waaaaay more than adding Routt.

Waste of time/money/resources if you ask me.

I like your thinking.

The only thing I'd add to that is the Bills are so far under the cap they can pretty much do whatever they want. If they truly think the are close I can see them sinking a lot of money into 2 significant free agents (DE/OLB, WR), maybe 2 second tier free agents (more defensive depth, TE?) and then drafting to fill DL, LBs, OT and maybe TE.

1328843842[/url]' post='2380876']

Buddy asleep at the wheel again. I bet the titans called first. Typical Buffalo I'm so done with this team, Ralph is cheap, I think Brady just sneezed, Fitz isn't the answer and Stevie is more of a number 2

Did I miss any?

Yeah, Fred is 31, wood Is injury prone and Kyle Williams is soft now that he got paid. You can throw in "fitz is a good qb, he just needs more weapons" while you're at it.

Per rotoworld he already has a visit planned

Coming from No Cal, he'll take one look at WNY in February on that lovely, just lovely drive down the Kensington Expressway from the airport, and say " tennessee's a lot nicer this time of year" and that will be that...

Routt's agent is smart to go to Buffalo first. Let Buffalo offer on the high end of the scale, which they have to to coax any FA, and set the market for other interested teams. Ala Tyson Clabo

That is EXACTLY what will happen. Bills offer to pay up because its a crappy place to be, then you take that number to the next team in sunny-town. Good strategy. The Bills had better draft well, as those players are trapped in the B Lo for 4 or 5 years.

This is one of those moments i have to chuckle about with us fans. We are The first or second team out of the gate taking a look at a free agent who was very good two years ago and deserves a once over by us an more than half are not happy about it!

Well thats what we do. I am delighted we are appearing aggressive already. As far as if this guy getting on our team not sure. He would have a hard sell after last years performance (lack of). be interesting to hear what comes out on Monday though.

We have a need for a corner or two i think this year.

Well thats what we do. I am delighted we are appearing aggressive already.

Sorry, but this is exactly how Brandon wants you to feel. Excited because we are being "aggressive".

Too bad we've read this book before. We are being just as aggressive as we were when we played hard to get Clabo,

Unfortunately there are huge gap between being "aggressive" and actually signing players.