Paterno near death...

The Poojer

1327198304[/url]' post='2367990']

Sad but true Horsemen. Valvano was a habitual NCAA rule breaker...but now the JimmyV fund has raised $115M for cancer research and Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski, who hated competing against a cheater work on behalf of his legacy.

JoePa turned the other way to protect a friend, a program and a legacy he built -- but it was horribly wrong and its his last act...you are only as good as your last act unfortunately. Somehow however tonight for those of us of faith in God like JoePa--I think God has added to heaven's football staff...and JoePa has been forgiven..

Seriously? Drawing a comparison between recruiting violations and enabling a serial child molester?

The only thing that's sad in this story is the number of people who lionized (and still do) a guy who turned out to be a disgrace.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? Drawing a comparison between recruiting violations and enabling a serial child molester?

The only thing that's sad in this story is the number of people who lionized (and still do) a guy who turned out to be a disgrace.

I think there's a middle ground. Whether you view him Asa good man that made a mistake or a bad person that happened to do a lot of good.....

He impacted a ton of lives, mostly very positive.... But some in the darkest ways possible.

I'm not going to build a shrine to him but i will say I dont wish suffering, cancer and death on he and his family.

I feel sorry most of all for the victims of Jerry Sandusky and those who decided to fire him today, because they will inevitably be blamed for his death which is totally insane... and the man lived to be 85 years old, which is really over the average life expectancy.

RIP.

i'm not a penn st. fan at all, and i don't think joe is without blame, but i also believe he took just a little too much heat for his role in the scandal.

i'd love to see a list of horrible things TBD members have done to compare them with joe's transgressions. that would be interesting.

i'm not a penn st. fan at all, and i don't think joe is without blame, but i also believe he took just a little too much heat for his role in the scandal.

i'd love to see a list of horrible things TBD members have done to compare them with joe's transgressions. that would be interesting.

Uh...yeah. None of us are perfect, but I somehow doubt that if the average TBD member found out his buddy was butt-raping 10 year olds, he'd give him a pass and look the other way. I'm guessing there must be some pretty nasty skeletons in your closet for you to make such a projection. Further, how many TBD posters will be widely mourned and glorified when they redeem their reservations in hell?

1327247391[/url]' post='2368174']

I think there's a middle ground. Whether you view him Asa good man that made a mistake or a bad person that happened to do a lot of good.....

He impacted a ton of lives, mostly very positive.... But some in the darkest ways possible.

I'm not going to build a shrine to him but i will say I dont wish suffering, cancer and death on he and his family.

I don't wish ill on him or his family either but i'm also not going to join in the desire to lionize him now that he's dead for his supposedly wonderful program or sweep what he failed to do away with the all-to-convenient 'mistake' label. Allowing that to continue day after day for ten years is one hell of a mistake.

It seems to me there are still plenty of his sycophants who didn't think he deserved any blame at all for what happened.

1327248180[/url]' post='2368181']

And for those people that did anything as bad as enabling a serial child molester, I won't give a rat's ass when they die either.

I don't wish ill on him or his family either but i'm also not going to join in the desire to lionize him now that he's dead for his supposedly wonderful program or sweep what he failed to do away with the all-to-convenient 'mistake' label. Allowing that to continue day after day for ten years is one hell of a mistake.

It seems to me there are still plenty of his sycophants who didn't think he deserved any blame at all for what happened.

And for those people that did anything as bad as enabling a serial child molester, I won't give a rat's ass when they die either.

Inevitably it is not just a mistake over not escalating the Sandusky incident, but a series of cover-ups that put the Penn State reputation above all else. It wasn't just one case of a 'mistake', and it is sad that there will be people who will defend him to the hilt.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will "say" ensconced in the safe anonymity of an Internet connection...

Are you suggesting that I'd for some reason feel unwilling to express the fact that I don't give two ***** and a good God Damn about "Joe Pa" and the fact that he's dead?

It never ceases to amaze me how people will overlook the most atrocious behavior to maintain their idolization of heroes. Especially grown men who should have enough perspective and maturity to take off the rose-colored glasses and realize there are few if any deserving of such lofty praise.

Wasn't implying that at all. A couple of things on this KD:

If you think Valvano's only "crime" was recruiting -- you are horribly wrong. Just look at the criminal records of those recruits -- he did nothing to discipline them or control them once at NC State--he ignored and in fact actively covered up addiction, rape, felony burglary -- all under his watch--so for you to pontificate on this as recruiting isn't factual. Its very similar to Sandusky in the scope of crimes against people. Chris Washburn, Charles Shackleford, etc...Valvano stood by and watched and not only didn't care but worked his network to cover it up. Yet all was forgiven when he was diagnosed and waged a public battle against cancer.

Second, I never justified how JoePa dealt with this--Sandusky should have been outed, banned from the program and fully investigated in the late 90's when this came to light--There is no doubt in my mind that the allegations are why JoePa got rid of his direct coaching in the program in the late 90's -- but still it wasn't enough. He covered it up and allowed it to go on next to the program. These are unthinkable and unspeakable crimes.

Are you suggesting that I'd for some reason feel unwilling to express the fact that I don't give two ***** and a good God Damn about "Joe Pa" and the fact that he's dead?

It never ceases to amaze me how people will overlook the most atrocious behavior to maintain their idolization of heroes. Especially grown men who should have enough perspective and maturity to take off the rose-colored glasses and realize there are few if any deserving of such lofty praise.

I've seen pretty limited praise, and even less football related. I don't really think there's much (if any) idolization here.

Edited by NoSaint

Rob--most of me shares your anger and judgement of JoePa. A bit of me holds back the harshness--because I look at my own life and can point to things I have done for which I wish I could be forgiven. It won't happen.

I also believe -- the torture of this situation killed JoePa--it took any will to live he had--so yeah he got a death penalty for his mistakes -- horrible mistakes. He knows in his heart covering this for over a decade was wrong -- sad that it took a tidal wave of public attention for him to see this. Its a great lesson that trying to protect a reputation, a program, a history by covering up and lying is never justified.

We are having a debate/discussion here that will last years...I think we fall pretty much like the public in general -- at the core of this were young boys who were exploited under the worst of circumstances -- a man with ill intentions who was disguised as helper...I hope all the focus on JoePa doesn't protect the real culprit...

Edited by JoeF

I've seen pretty limited praise, and even less football related. I don't really think there's much (if any) idolization here.

I can only assume Lurker revere's the man after his comment:

It never ceases to amaze me what people will "say" ensconced in the safe anonymity of an Internet connection...

I was hoping he might provide some clarification.

Some jerk off wrote some syrup laden piece about heavens football team and how Paternoe's sins are forgiven, which made me gag. As I stated earlier, I don't have any burning intense hatred for the man. By the same token, If he was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to put it out. I just don't get why people want so desperately to remember him fondly.

Some jerk off wrote some syrup laden piece about heavens football team and how Paternoe's sins are forgiven, which made me gag. As I stated earlier, I don't have any burning intense hatred for the man. By the same token, If he was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to put it out. I just don't get why people want so desperately to remember him fondly.

I would be that jerk off.... ;-) Sorry... I, I, I just get really emotional around death...I take it back.....

Edited by JoeF

R.I.P. Joe

If hell is what i hear its like, it wont be very peaceful rest.

Again, if this is the old man down the street who ignored his friend raping children, would you care about his peaceful rest?

!@#$ing disgusting that because he was a FOOTBALL COACH people care about him.

, I don't have any burning intense hatred for the man.

If he was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to put it out.

Yeah, you can practically feel the love. :lol:

If hell is .....

We heard you the first 5 times.

You sure yap a lot for guy who has no idea who knew what when. A man with any self-control whatsoever and the slightest sense of decorum would probably save it for a different thread.....

Very well put, you summed up my feelings perfectly. This was a horrible judgement call by Paterno that probably killed him years ago and didn't know how or didn't have the guts to come clean. I have done things far less severe that left me crippled emotionally as to how to come clean...the cover up broke my heart and the way his life ended also broke my heart. He won't ever be forgiven for his inactions in my mind, but i will mourn his death. I can do both.

Rob--most of me shares your anger and judgement of JoePa. A bit of me holds back the harshness--because I look at my own life and can point to things I have done for which I wish I could be forgiven. It won't happen.

I also believe -- the torture of this situation killed JoePa--it took any will to live he had--so yeah he got a death penalty for his mistakes -- horrible mistakes. He knows in his heart covering this for over a decade was wrong -- sad that it took a tidal wave of public attention for him to see this. Its a great lesson that trying to protect a reputation, a program, a history by covering up and lying is never justified.

We are having a debate/discussion here that will last years...I think we fall pretty much like the public in general -- at the core of this were young boys who were exploited under the worst of circumstances -- a man with ill intentions who was disguised as helper...I hope all the focus on JoePa doesn't protect the real culprit...

If hell is what i hear its like, it wont be very peaceful rest.

Again, if this is the old man down the street who ignored his friend raping children, would you care about his peaceful rest?

!@#$ing disgusting that because he was a FOOTBALL COACH people care about him.

Well, to be fair...you seem to care quite a bit more as well.

Yeah, you can practically feel the love. :lol:

We heard you the first 5 times.

You sure yap a lot for guy who has no idea who knew what when. A man with any self-control whatsoever and the slightest sense of decorum would probably save it for a different thread.....

"I wish I had done more."

Sorry i had to say it twice (which to you is 5, but i digress), but there isnt a question the man we all "mourn" for here, the man who was Penn state football, knew and failed to step in. The true lack of decorum comes from those idolizing him. Disgusting and pathetic.

"I wish I had done more."

Sorry i had to say it twice (which to you is 5, but i digress), but there isnt a question the man we all "mourn" for here, the man who was Penn state football, knew and failed to step in. The true lack of decorum comes from those idolizing him. Disgusting and pathetic.

What exactly did he know and who did he fail to report it to?

You have no idea and are repeatedly ragging and insulting a dead man in his RIP thread based on nothing but your own assumptions. That says a lot more about you than it does Paterno.

I'm not going to discuss it any further here; there might be another time and place for it. I would suggest you do the same, but histroy would cast doubts upon your capability to keep your mouth shut.

You have no idea and are repeatedly ragging and insulting a dead man in his RIP thread based on nothing but your own assumptions. That says a lot more about you than it does Paterno.

I'm not going to discuss it any further here; there might be another time and place for it. I would suggest you do the same, but histroy would cast doubts upon your capability to keep your mouth shut.

Not only that, but apparently Paterno's actions necessitate an eternity of fiery torture. I'm glad I don't believe in Hell, what an awful concept.

Sorry i gave my opinion on a football message board RIP thread. How Classless....

I would have been fine with your last post until the last sentence but i guess since your a "mod" its ok to make personal shots at others.

Whatever. I've voiced my opinion (now its 67 times by your count).

Ill save my future bashing of this creepy old man for another time and place. But history casts doubts that you wont ban me. Enjoy pressing the button.

No, I never "revered" Paterno. But to cavalierly say it doesn't bother you he's dead tells me all I need to know about you....

Click.

Maybe Joe Pa's hell will be getting butt f'd for eternity

This place is beneath contempt.

Scott must be so proud...

Maybe Joe Pa's hell will be getting butt f'd for eternity

Just curious...if "Hell" is "getting ass-raped for eternity" for the sin of having second-hand knowledge of a guy molesting a child, what's "Hell" for actually raping said child?

No, I never "revered" Paterno. But to cavalierly say it doesn't bother you he's dead tells me all I need to know about you....

Interesting. You mourn for the loss of a guy who knowingly allowed his buddy to butt-rape little kids for years and you find that this somehow gives you moral superiority. Seems like your avatar is reflexive of your character.