DID U EVER STOP TO THINK....

lvbillzfan

Everyone seems to want to point out what the problem is with this team.

I was thinking about all the blame placed over the years ----

Tom Donahoe

Greg Williams

Rob Johnson

Wade Philips

Mike Mularky

Drew Bledsoe

Derick Dockery

Langston Walker

J.P.Losman

Marv Levy (GM)

Trent Edwards

Marshawn Lynch

Donte Whitner

Paul Posluzney

Jason Peters

Kieth Ellison

Dicki Jouron

CJ Spiller

Demetrius Bell

Offensive Coordinators

Defensive Coordinators

Lack of Size

Lack of Speed

Lack of Desire

Bad Drafts

Bad Free Agent Pick-ups

Offensive Line

No Pass Rush

Injuries

Payroll

Tough Schedule

Defensive Schemes

Offensive Schemes

And much much more...

Did anyone stop to think that we come up with every excuse in the book for this team?

WE (meaning the Bills organization) are not getting it done.

It starts with the owner and goes down from there (always).

We blame everyone and everything for our inept play week in week out, year in year out.

We are not a winning FRANCHISE. And we will not be with our current ownership.

Nobody wants to talk about it. To talk about it and do nothing is like beating a very dead horse. But, there are only a very few things to do - stop supporting the team until it starts spending, or winning? Or gets a new owner? While the owner would use just such a lack of support as an excuse for the need to move the team. With the Bills, it's either take them, or leave them, because with Wilson it doesn't appear anything is going to change. If he's not going to go all out and throw every resource he has at winning now, at his age, then it is obvious that winning isn't his main goal with this franchise.

And, frankly, throwing money around isn't the solution in and of itself. Look at Washington. The problem does start at Ralph, with the purse strings and with interference. To be the most effective owner, he's got to be willing to spend as much as is allowed, but he's also got to be willing to find and pay the right men to run the football side of things. Once they are in place - and, I like Dough Whaley/Buddy Nix formula, by the way, letting a young, highly qualified guy take over and put a system in place for decades, because that is what it takes - consistency with a good system - once these guys are in place, they can spend the resources on the right players and coaches to execute their vision. Successful systems come in different forms - Steelers, New England, Baltimore, Green Bay (which I think is the best system to emmulate), but they all have similarities in successful traits, and drafting for success helps the most when the system stays the same, otherwise you get what we have, mismatched players and schemes every three or four years.

So, Wilson isn't spending, Buddy Nix might be good, and Whaley (lets hope) might be great, but Nix's drafts are turning out, so far, only so-so. Gailey? His offense started out good, and looks better than what we've seen, but we need more time to see. Certainly the Defense has been awful, and the coordinator is without a doubt responsible for not be able to compete on the NFL field with his opponents. Who's responsible for keeping him around?

To get us where we want, we'd need not only Ralph spending, or some other owner, but we'd need the guy with the football smarts to have a ton of real smarts, and a keen eye for talent. How many teams draft like the Packers? Not a lot. Look no further than the Sabres. The owner comes in and says and does everything right. Will there be success? I'd say if there isn't, then at the very least he's done what he can to bring it, and until that is the case with the Bills, there will always be this conversation.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Look at every nfl team and you will see that winning is a cycle. We had our run in the early 90's and we were good for a 2-3 yr period around 2000. Look at the history of the Bears, Colts, Redskins,Pats, Jets, Phins, Pack, Steelers, Ravens, etc. and you'll see it happens in cycles. This league rewards the bad teams with high picks and with FA yiou can't keep a good team together for too long. The constant with teams that win for a sustained period of time is a HOF type QB. Even GB had a down year or two once Rodgers started. I guess what I'm saying is you guys are Bi-polar or need a damn life. Football should not be this important in life to where your week is ruined or you talk bad about a guy who is running HIS business like he wants(profitable). Hell, Jerry Jones spends lots of $ as does Snyder. Last I checked the Skins last SB win was against us(long time ago). By the way when wwas the last time the Cowboys were elite? Back when they beat us in the 2 SB's. We've tried to spend $ on Spikes, Fletch, to name a few over the last few years. When he sees fit he'll do it again, unlike Snyder/Jones. Believe it or not,Ralph doesn't owe you guys a thing.'Nuff said. :wallbash:

Edited by Dopey

Agree winning is a cycle but the cycles don't have to last for decades. The Steelers sucked post-Bradshaw and Steel Curtain but not for that long and were at least in the playoffs with crappy QB's. Denver made it to the playoffs after Elway. Green Bay was down for the 70's and early 80's but were at least relevant with Lynn Dickey and Sharpe.

The Bills were irrelevant from the mid 1960's to about 1988 with the exception of 1980-1981. They were truly awesome for about 6 years and have been irrelevant ever since the Music City Miracle.

Buffalo's only saving grace is that it was a team that helped define the AFL and thus give the league enough credibility to force the merger with the NFL.

Ralph wants to have a winning team. Unfortunately, there are a few things that he wants more:

1. He wants the team to be as profitable as possible, so that he can pass a large inheritance down to his family when he dies. That's why a guy in his 90's is acting without a sense of urgency in making the team a winner.

2. He wants to remain in complete control of the business he started 50 years ago. This is why he refuses to step back and allow a football guy run the team without interference.

Ralph is also a very proud man that cares very deeply about his legacy as an AFL founder and an NFL owner. He wants to be THE GUY who kept a team in Buffalo for 50 years, despite the odds. There is no way he could ever turn over or sell the team during his lifetime, because if the team won without him, it would taint that legacy.

I don't know what's funnier the hilarious guys that posted sarcasm or the 3 bafoon's that actually responded seriously to this post.

The three buffoons...and counting....

And yes, it may have been mentioned a time or 2 here, in the media, on the radio, in church pews, at the toll booths, in bath houses, brothels, a few Canadian Ballet establishments, and in line at Mighty Taco over the last 45 years that Ralph might.....juuuust might be a tad frugal.

Now I'm curious. What'd you not list?

Well he forgot Kevin Gilbride oh oh and Perry Fewell oh oh and Maybin oh oh and ...

Not to pss in anyones Cheerios but without Ralph Wilson this board would not exist. Made a lot of mistakes over the last decade, but I think the salary cap started the demise of the Bills (that and the bad decisions and poor draft picks). Ralph is not cheap. Flame away.

Everyone seems to want to point out what the problem is with this team.

I was thinking about all the blame placed over the years ----

1Rob Johnson

2J.P.Losman

3Trent Edwards

4Dicki Jouron

Lack of Size

No pass rush

Bad Drafts

We are not a winning FRANCHISE.

I have only blamed the top 4 for our disasters as far as players/coaches. i hated them as bills players. loved when all 4 got kicked off. i wish it was my foot giving them the boot.

Our defense has not had that monster up the middle or as an end in a loooooooooong time. imo. shobel was good. kyle is almost there. DAREUS may be there. (a little too early to elevate him to monster status)

i agree with you about not being a winning franchise. it sucks to be part of it. and to admit it. one day it will turn around. i just dont know when.

we need monsters in our dline and our lb core. kelsay while he is a little better. he aint no monster.