Goodell Tells Fans About Possible Plan for Bills After Ralph Passes

Works for me. Sorry... search for @paulpeck4.

Actual quote isn't as promising in my opinion:

NFL Commissioner expressed confidence in the future of the franchise in a conversation with select fans at Ralph Wilson Stadium, according to WKBW-TV. Goodell: "(Owner Ralph Wilson, Jr.) has what he thinks are the right steps for the team. We will obviously work with him and the team to fulfill his wishes. I know he will do, and we are confident we will do, what is in the best interest of this community and the NFL ... I think that's being taken care of."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15710878

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2011/10/goodell-stresses-rws-upgrades.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29

Additional quotes.

Good thing: Goodell doesn't seem to think that a new stadium is a requirement anymore. Before, he has indicated to the contrary.

Edited by johnnyb

I wonder if the timing is related to Al Davis' passing, putting the spotlight on Ralph

chad kelly tweeted earlier this week that something regarding the bills was going down this weekend. i think this was in the work's before Al's passing.

@papa, True,. Sounds like the news is Ralph is agreeing to a new long term lease at the Ralph without any mods.

But maybe Goodell is here figuring he needs to stay on top of things realizing these old owners could go at any minute post Davis

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Although Buffalo has been declining, the revenue for the Bills is still there it doesn't make sense that they would be first on the list to relocate

We just brought 400 works back to the Ford stamping plant :thumbsup: . They actually said they were doing reverse outsourcing (odd way to say it) but didn't say why, Maybe cheap labor isn't cracked up to whay it is supposed to be.

Works for me. Sorry... search for @paulpeck4.

Actual quote isn't as promising in my opinion:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15710878

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2011/10/goodell-stresses-rws-upgrades.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29

Additional quotes.

Good thing: Goodell doesn't seem to think that a new stadium is a requirement anymore. Before, he has indicated to the contrary.

The actual quote sounds pretty good to me. Much better than anything we've heard before it seems.

Goodell did mention that he feels that Southern Ontario and WNY is all region. If that is the case could the NFL want to make sure the Bills remain where they are since there are approximately 15 million people between Toronto-Buffalo-Rochester?

Quote:To us, it’s all one region,” said Goodell. “While western New Yorkers might not think of it that way, it’s helping make this market be successful here by bringing fans down from Southern Ontario. So we want to continue to encourage that.”

Edited by clancynut

Did Sir Roger say anything about this succession plan (I thought Ralph didn't have one?) involving "selling the team to the highest bidder?" <_<

In my personal opinion, part of Goodell's job is to make fans feel good about the NFL in general and their team in particular. If you drill down through all the nice-sounding but fairly ambiguous NFL promotion with a critical eye, you find this little gem buried in an article that repeats Goodell's "Feel good about your team" talking points:

http://niagara-gazette.com/sports/x1038034921/Commish-inspires-Buffalo-fans-to-keep-Bill-lievin

When reporters huddled around him after the fan forum, Goodell backtracked from his implication that Wilson has shared a succession plan with him. The commish said he could offer no assurances, but that he was confident the Bills would stay put if the community continues to do its part.

My translation - - "I don't have a clue about what Ralph plans to do with the team after he's gone, but you should feel good about the NFL in general and the Bills in particular."

If an announcement about a long term renewal of the Bills' stadium lease is made, as expected, we need to take a long hard look at not just the duration of the lease, but what kind of buy-out provision it contains (the current lease has one). I've read that Ralph is not asking for significant stadium improvements in the present lease negotiations. That doesn't sound like Ralph to me.

Just my speculation, but maybe Ralph is looking to get a less onerous lease buy-out provision in return for not seeking significant stadium improvements. Or slightly less ominously, maybe he's seeking approval for additional regular season games in Toronto. Again, just my speculation, but if Ralph is in a position to ask the County and/or State to spend money on stadium improvements (with LA building a new stadium), yet Ralph is not asking for such improvements, my guess is he's asking for something else instead. Wonder what it is?

Edit:

Just read this Buffalo Evening News story:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article588078.ece

Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. made similar comments in an interview with The Buffalo News a couple of weeks ago. Wilson said that the stadium needs some significant upgrades to its structural support, in addition to some cosmetic improvements, and that the state and county will have to remain partners with the Bills in a new lease agreement. The Bills' current lease runs out in July 2013.

On September 18th, the Buffalo Evening News ran a story that characterized the stadium improvements sought by Wilson as "modest" and "fundamental."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article560879.ece

Not sure what to make of the recharacterization of desired stadium improvements to "significant," but I still think that Goodell has no clue what Ralph's plans are for selling the team after he's gone.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

So basically for the Bills to stay in Buffalo three things are needed:

1). Obviously, a new owner who will not move the team

2). Continued fan support (which will never cease)

3). $75-100 million in stadium renovations - Where does the money come from? I'll attempt to show how stupid I am.

As of 2010, Erie County has an estimated taxable population of roughly 321,664. In order finance $100 million worth of renovations to the Ralph, approx $311.00 will come from each of the taxpayers. Spread that out over the lifetime of a new lease which will most likely be 10 years, you come up with about $31 per year,per taxpayer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, $31/year to keep the Bills in Buffalo for another 10 years sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

3). $75-100 million in stadium renovations - Where does the money come from? I'll attempt to show how stupid I am.

As of 2010, Erie County has an estimated taxable population of roughly 321,664. In order finance $100 million worth of renovations to the Ralph, approx $311.00 will come from each of the taxpayers. Spread that out over the lifetime of a new lease which will most likely be 10 years, you come up with about $31 per year,per taxpayer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, $31/year to keep the Bills in Buffalo for another 10 years sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Can't the rest of NY state help out as well? After all, didn't all of us upstaters help fund MetLife Stadium in NJ???

those are 300,000 + potential taxpayers. many who are in poverty and are tax receivers(to a large extent) and not taxpayers. so i dont think they will be paying their share.you are also figuring payments over 10 years. is this money going to be interest free? if you finance 100 mil over 10 yrs you will pay nearly double that amt. and half the people you claim will be paying it. so figure 150/yr per taxpayer. this in an economy where govt employee pensions are grossly underfunded and still sucking the life out of taxpayers already.

let the billionaires and millionaires who are buying this team and who stand to make great revenue pony up the bucks.

Can't the rest of NY state help out as well? After all, didn't all of us upstaters help fund MetLife Stadium in NJ???

I don't think any NYS Money went into the financing of MetLife Stadium. However there is the matter of two brand new baseball stadiums being built in NYC, both which received public funds.

The other issue is will the NYS Senate and Assembly agree to financing upgrades a private football stadium when budget cuts are forcing the layoffs of teachers and cuts to other services. During last year budget talks there was an article about an assemblywoman downstate being upset about the Bills receiving state money. Sorry could not find the link.

I don't think any NYS Money went into the financing of MetLife Stadium. However there is the matter of two brand new baseball stadiums being built in NYC, both which received public funds.

The other issue is will the NYS Senate and Assembly agree to financing upgrades a private football stadium when budget cuts are forcing the layoffs of teachers and cuts to other services. During last year budget talks there was an article about an assemblywoman downstate being upset about the Bills receiving state money. Sorry could not find the link.

Here's the link you were talking about:

http://www.wgrz.com/news/investigative/youpaidforit/story.aspx?storyid=65435&catid=220

Also, speaking of the MetLife stadium construction, can ANYONE verify if NYS funds were used? John Murphy explictly said as much (that NYS paid for the building) during last year's season finale, and I'd like someone who can know for sure.

Even if it's false I think it'd be pretty cool to make it a trope to work in the Bills' favor. Say something that's patently false but say it enough times so it becomes true. That's why I love politics.

#1 Done and that's all I'm saying.

#2 Done even with a losing team, we, the customers have shown great support during the dry years.

#3 Try $150 million. NYS helped in the funding of 2 baseball stadiums downstate.

I doubt Pegula is the primary player in the purchase of the Bills. I think Golisano would be more likely.

I could see Pegula playing a secondary role.

And to what exactly are you basing your speculation on?

Golisano?....meh, I don't think so - we all see how that Sabres thing worked out